Menu

Alfredo sauce?

I used to make a homemade alfredo sauce but my family discovered Buitoni.:tongue_smilie: We lived in a tiny apartment between moves and I bought the Buitoni Alfredo sauce in the refrig. section and they licked their plates clean. They hated the jar stuff and liked my homemade sauce but they devoured this stuff. So I don't even bother any more. I figure since its only every other month or so its not a big deal. (Right?!?)

I am looking for a simple, easy to make, yet yummy alfredo sauce.

Anyone care to share their favorite homemade sauce?

I'm sorry, but that stuff in a jar is nasty.:tongue_smilie:

Alfredo sauce is basically just butter, cream and parmesan. Melt butter in a pan, add heavy cream, reduce by simmering and stir in lots of finely grated real parmesan (not the stuff from a can -- it has some kind of filler and just cakes up instead of melting). Season to taste with salt and white pepper. The barest pinch of nutmeg with the cream makes it perfect. Some people smash a garlic clove and saute that in the butter, then remove it once golden before adding the cream. I prefer it without the garlic, but try it and see what suits your tastes.

I know, I know, real alfredo is just cream & parmesan, with a little bit of pepper or garlic perhaps.

Call me lowbrow, say I have beer tastes, whatever, but here's my favorite not-really-authentic-but-oh-so-yummy alfredo:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-and-Easy-Alfredo-Sauce/Detail.aspx

I use freshly crushed garlic instead of garlic powder, and if I'm feeling really evil, I use cream instead of milk. :drool5:

My alfredo recipe isn't very authentic either, but it's a bit less unhealthy than those made with heavy cream.

Melt 3T butter in a saucepan. Add 3T flour and stir for a minute. Slowly add 1c milk and 1c chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3c grated Parmesan.

Alfredo sauce is basically just butter, cream and parmesan. Melt butter in a pan, add heavy cream, reduce by simmering and stir in lots of finely grated real parmesan (not the stuff from a can -- it has some kind of filler and just cakes up instead of melting). Season to taste with salt and white pepper. The barest pinch of nutmeg with the cream makes it perfect. Some people smash a garlic clove and saute that in the butter, then remove it once golden before adding the cream. I prefer it without the garlic, but try it and see what suits your tastes.

This is mine

stick of butter

cup of heavy cream

one and half bags of grated parm.

Sometimes I get creative and sautee some garlice in some butter to toss in but not normally. S/P or Garlic salt to tasted and BAM all done. Hope it turns out which ever way you go with!!!:001_smile:

I know, I know, real alfredo is just cream & parmesan, with a little bit of pepper or garlic perhaps.

Call me lowbrow, say I have beer tastes, whatever, but here's my favorite not-really-authentic-but-oh-so-yummy alfredo:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-and-Easy-Alfredo-Sauce/Detail.aspx

I use freshly crushed garlic instead of garlic powder, and if I'm feeling really evil, I use cream instead of milk. :drool5:

This is pretty much the way we make it. I know using cream cheese sounds weird, but the sauce is really very good.

I make it exactly like Audrey does.

My alfredo recipe isn't very authentic either, but it's a bit less unhealthy than those made with heavy cream.

Melt 3T butter in a saucepan. Add 3T flour and stir for a minute. Slowly add 1c milk and 1c chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/3c grated Parmesan.

This is what I do except I add 1 cup white wine instead of chicken broth. I also, use garlic then top with the fresh grated parm!!!

Yummy, it works really good for a white veggie lasagna too!!!!

Here's mine:

ALFREDO SAUCE

- 1 pint heavy cream

- 1 stick butter

- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese

- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder

- dash salt

- dash pepper

combine butter and cream in saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer until melted andmixed well. Add parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer 45 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.

I usually prefer to cook with fresh garlic but I have tried using minced garlic instead of the garlic powder... the powder is easier and tastes just as good if not better!

:iagree:

My family loves my alfredo and this is exactly what I do. Sometimes I put in a little asiago and romano in addition to the parmesan and the nutmeg truly sets it apart. I think I might have to make some this week now. I also prefer it without the garlic.

Not an authentic recipe, but the only Alfredo Sauce my very skinny dd10 likes. She requested this after eating pasta with white sauce at Macaroni Grill. I got this I believe from allrecipe.com.

1/2 c butter

cream cheese light

6 oz parmesan cheese

2 cups 2% milk (I use instead of half and half)

seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (I omitted since garlic taste is too strong for me)

Melt butter.

Whisk in cream cheese until throughly mixed.

Add milk slowly. Continue to whisk until mixed.

Add parmesan cheese.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Kids love it, and I add grilled, sliced chicken breasts on top.