Menu

Change in insurance requires me to pay all costs up front. . .

until we meet the deductible. The deductibles are $1200 per person with a total out of pocket of $2400 each or a family total of $4800. We get the entire family's prescriptions filled through our mail order pharmacy. They send 90 days at a time. I take blood pressure meds, IC (bladder) meds, two bi-polar meds, Ambien and Xanax. My bi-polar dd has three bi-polar meds and my 17 year old BCP, ADD meds and Ambien. They charged us regular retail prices and the total cost for the first three months came to a whopping $2400(approximately). :001_huh: Our total contributions to our flex acct this year is $5400. I basically I can have the precriptions filled one more time before I have used that up. Hopefully, I will have met my out of pocket expenses for the year by then and everything else will be covered at 100%. I can't really find all of the info in writing nor have we been able to talk to anyone who has any idea what is going on either. This is just crazy. :glare:

Um? I'm not aware of anywhere that doesn't make you pay your portion up front, regardless of insurance.:001_huh:

We have had 90 day mail order rx for over a decade, via various insurance (united health, cigna, aetna, ..) and we always had to pay our portion up front before they would mail it out.

Same for dr appts.

Do you have a copay plan or a high deductible plan? We have a high ded. plan, which works great for us, but yes basically we pay up front for all meds and medical expenses until we reach the out of pocket max. Everything after that is covered 100%. I hope you get it figured out soon.

until we meet the deductible. The deductibles are $1200 per person with a total out of pocket of $2400 each or a family total of $4800. We get the entire family's prescriptions filled through our mail order pharmacy. They send 90 days at a time. I take blood pressure meds, IC (bladder) meds, two bi-polar meds, Ambien and Xanax. My bi-polar dd has three bi-polar meds and my 17 year old BCP, ADD meds and Ambien. They charged us regular retail prices and the total cost for the first three months came to a whopping $2400(approximately). :001_huh: Our total contributions to our flex acct this year is $5400. I basically I can have the precriptions filled one more time before I have used that up. Hopefully, I will have met my out of pocket expenses for the year by then and everything else will be covered at 100%. I can't really find all of the info in writing nor have we been able to talk to anyone who has any idea what is going on either. This is just crazy. :glare:

The same thing has happened to us this year. They combined our prescription med insurance deductible with our regular health care deductible (which they also raised) and then touted it like it was a good thing. :glare: It stinks for us because we don't have to go to the doc that often, but we do have a dd with regular meds she has to take. It will essentially go uncovered for 1/2 the year.

And to answer a PP, for our insurance they used to pay a percentage until your deductible was met, then they paid 100%. Now they don't pay a dime until you meet the deductible. That may be the case for her insurance as well. We have now dubbed our medical insurance "catastrophic illness" insurance.

Edited by Apryl H

Sounds like you maybe should have gone with an HMO option, if one was available... too late now, I suppose. Those usually have copays on meds rather than deductibles.

You might want to shop around for a better discount plan on meds. Can any of them be switched to a generic version? That can save a lot of money.

In conclusion, I'm very grateful the only prescription anyone in our household is dependent on is my levothyroxine, which is $10 for a 90 day supply at walmart.

We got stuck with the same type of crappy plan last year and this year. Ours is a Health Savings Account/High Deductible Plan.

We are paying over $600 a month in premiums, plus contributing almost $200 a month to our health "savings" (ha!) account to help with our deductibles, all so that we can have coverage that doesn't pay much more than a dime of anything until we actually meet our deductibles of $2500 per individual and/or $5000 for the family.

So we're talking an enormous amount out-of-pocket before we even have what I consider "real coverage".

Some examples. . .

I have gestational diabetes right now and just picked up 25 days worth of testing strips costing me $101 OOP. "Our insurance" (and I use that term lightly here!!) saved us a whopping $20 on this one. :glare:

Ultrasounds cost me $110 OOP, with insurance paying zippo.

Visits to the pediatrician for a typical visit are a guaranteed $68 oop, with "insurance" picking up a whole $10 on their end.

Pediatric Neurologist visits runs about $170 OOP.

And so on. It's absurd!!!

I feel like calling the police and telling them we're being robbed! Surely, this is a crime in progress :banghead:

Can't wait to see what labor and delivery is going to cost me. . . Ugh!

Edited by *~Tina~*

Do you have a copay plan or a high deductible plan? We have a high ded. plan, which works great for us, but yes basically we pay up front for all meds and medical expenses until we reach the out of pocket max. Everything after that is covered 100%. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Well, we have always had a co-pay plan but this year changed to a higher deductible plan. So we used to pay a co-pay of $15, $30, $60 or $100 for prescriptions. Now we pay the full retail price up front until we meet our deductible. The problem is that this was not in the fine print anywhere nor was it explained to us at all. I thought our prescription plan was the same as last year until they called today to tell me that my order would be over a thousand dollars.

WOW!!!

I have IC as well and it is NOT cheap.

Are you taking Elmiron? That's like $300 a month. How long would it take you to meet your deductable?

I have never heard of anything so crappy!

I am so sorry, I can't believe that!

Yep, I am taking Elmiron and the lowest price we have been able to find anywhere is $1400 for three months. I had severe pain when I was first diagnosed that lasted for several years. This was way back before they even had Elmiron so there wasn't any thing that they could do. The pain went away for about 15 years and then came back again. This was about three years ago which is how long I have been taking the Elmiron now. I haven't had any problems since then so I think I am going to try and go without it for awhile and see what happens. If the pain comes back then I guess I will fork out the money for it.

The same thing has happened to us this year. They combined our prescription med insurance deductible with our regular health care deductible (which they also raised) and then touted it like it was a good thing. :glare: It stinks for us because we don't have to go to the doc that often, but we do have a dd with regular meds she has to take. It will essentially go uncovered for 1/2 the year.

And to answer a PP, for our insurance they used to pay a percentage until your deductible was met, then they paid 100%. Now they don't pay a dime until you meet the deductible. That may be the case for her insurance as well. We have now dubbed our medical insurance "catastrophic illness" insurance.

Yep, this is basically what happened to us and without any notice to boot.

Sounds like you maybe should have gone with an HMO option, if one was available... too late now, I suppose. Those usually have copays on meds rather than deductibles.

You might want to shop around for a better discount plan on meds. Can any of them be switched to a generic version? That can save a lot of money.

In conclusion, I'm very grateful the only prescription anyone in our household is dependent on is my levothyroxine, which is $10 for a 90 day supply at walmart.

All of our meds except two are generics. I can't even imagine how bad it would be if they were all still under patent. We have even found another mail in pharmacy not affiliated with out insurance where we can get some of the meds even cheaper but then we have to figure out how to get the totals counted towards our deductibles and out of pocket expenses because they would not be covered by our insurance at all. We would pay with our flex card and then we would need to send the receipts to our insurance company so that they can be counted but the insurance company is not sure how we need to do that yet. We talked to several people today but no one knows the precedure yet because they have really never had to do this before.

The company my DH works for offered this as an option this year. DH wanted to do it because he thought it would save us a lot of money, but I was adamant that we shouldn't. After reading this, I am SO glad we didn't.

Can you do anything to try to open a new enrollment period? Get a side job, etc?

Um? I'm not aware of anywhere that doesn't make you pay your portion up front, regardless of insurance.:001_huh:

We have had 90 day mail order rx for over a decade, via various insurance (united health, cigna, aetna, ..) and we always had to pay our portion up front before they would mail it out.

Same for dr appts.

Someone else explained it better below but it used to be that we had a co-pay program that was $15, $30, $60 or $100 per 90 day prescription depending on the prescription. We had to pay that up front but it usually came to $300-$600 every 90 days. This time they charged us retail prices and it was almost $2500 for 90 days and I didn't even have the two most expensive prescriptions filled because that would have added another $2260. That means I would have wiped out $4660 of the $5400 I was allowed to put on my flex card for just the first three months worth of prescriptions.

The only thing that sounds wrong is the "charged full retail price". They should be giving you the benefit of the insurance discount.

I know. All of the prices were the same or even more expensive than all the other places we checked. In other words, there is no benefit to using our mail order pharmancy (or insurance) other than the fact that it makes it easier for our insurance company to know what we have paid towards our deductible.

I would freak too if ours changed suddenly. We've never had a plan like that, we've always had co-pays instead unless it was surgery or the ER. I think we've only actually met our ded. 3x in the past 10 years.

Yep, I freaked. We spent several months combing over the two different plans and comparing them based on our actual needs. We decided to go with the plan that would work out the best considering my chiro, message therapist, PT and doctor needs for my back. Both plans used the same pharmacy and did not specify any differences in prescription prices based on the plan. We check very carefully and this was not listed anywhere in the fine print nor did anyone explain it to us. We also talked to several people at both the insurance company and the mail order pharmacy company and they weren't much help either.

The company my DH works for offered this as an option this year. DH wanted to do it because he thought it would save us a lot of money, but I was adamant that we shouldn't. After reading this, I am SO glad we didn't.

Can you do anything to try to open a new enrollment period? Get a side job, etc?

Well, that is why my hubby went with the plan he did. The payments come to $2000 less a year and it will more fully cover my back care but we didn't know there was a difference in the prescription plans so at this point I really can't tell if it is going to save us or not. Our total out of pocket cost are $4800 which we will easily meet in just the first six months by filling all of our prescriptions. Everything after that is supposed to be covered at 100% so medical shouldn't be a problem as long as I stay under my limits for my back care. The problem is that we were only allowed to put $5400 on our flex card. We use that to pay medical, dental, eye care, mental health, chiro, PT and prescriptions. Dental and eye care are not part of our regular medical plan so they won't count towards the totals. We need about a $1000 worth or dental care this year and my hubby and I are due for new glasses. I will have to pay these over and above other medical costs. That means that I will not have enough available on my flex card to pay all of my our of pocket expenses.

I feel for you. I really do.

We're on a high deductible plan and meet the max every year. We just budget it in as part of our fixed expenses. I say that likes it's easy. It's not. Health expenses are our single major expense as lots of things we have to do aren't covered either. The first year it switched we were wholly unprepared and it was a mess--a real mess--it nearly sunk us. But we nearly sunk last year too and we knew the increases and what was coming then.

My husband gets choices but they write the plans up in such way that you really have to choose the high deductible plans. It doesn't make financial sense to do otherwise even for those of us who are definitely going to hit the out of pocket max every year... and the out of pocket is so high.

Edited by sbgrace

We got stuck with the same type of crappy plan last year and this year. Ours is a Health Savings Account/High Deductible Plan.

We are paying over $600 a month in premiums, plus contributing almost $200 a month to our health "savings" (ha!) account to help with our deductibles, all so that we can have coverage that doesn't pay much more than a dime of anything until we actually meet our deductibles of $2500 per individual and/or $5000 for the family.

So we're talking an enormous amount out-of-pocket before we even have what I consider "real coverage".

Some examples. . .

I have gestational diabetes right now and just picked up 25 days worth of testing strips costing me $101 OOP. "Our insurance" (and I use that term lightly here!!) saved us a whopping $20 on this one. :glare:

Ultrasounds cost me $110 OOP, with insurance paying zippo.

Visits to the pediatrician for a typical visit are a guaranteed $68 oop, with "insurance" picking up a whole $10 on their end.

Pediatric Neurologist visits runs about $170 OOP.

And so on. It's absurd!!!

I feel like calling the police and telling them we're being robbed! Surely, this is a crime in progress :banghead:

Can't wait to see what labor and delivery is going to cost me. . . Ugh!

Yes, our monthly premiums are pretty high as is our contributions to our flex card. SInce we put the max on our card every year, we will probably be ok for the first nine months but I am really worried about the last three months of the year. Last year we ran out of benefits and had used all of our flex card by the first of Nov. We had already got our last 90 refills so we were good on meds but I couldn't get any care for my back for all of Nov. & Dec. nor could we pay for any additional dental or eye care.

Some things had to be put off until this month. I still haven't got my cards yet so we are still in a holding pattern. Once I can get working on my back again I am sure I will have to go twice as often for a few months just to get back to where I was. I am worried that if I use my flex card to cover dental and eye care then I won't have enough left to pay for $4800 worth of medical care before everything is covered at 100%. I can already see that I am going to have to come up with some additional money somewhere I have no idea where it is going to come from.

I feel for you. I really do.

We're on a high deductible plan and meet the max every year. We just budget it in as part of our fixed expenses. I say that likes it's easy. It's not. Health expenses are our single major expense as lots of things we have to do aren't covered either. The first year it switched we were wholly unprepared and it was a mess--a real mess--it nearly sunk us. But we nearly sunk last year too and we knew the increases and what was coming then.

My husband gets choices but they write the plans up in such way that you really have to choose the high deductible plans. It doesn't make financial sense to do otherwise even for those of us who are definitely going to hit the out of pocket max every year... and the out of pocket is so high.

Yes, all of our options this year cost more than last and provided less services and higher prices.

Most pharmacies bill your insurance and then charge you whatever the insurance doesn't pay. So you should be able to shop around for a pharmacy, have whatever pharmacy you choose bill your insurance, and then you pay them whatever the insurance won't (i.e., the full balance in your case).

For example, my pharmacy (walmart) would bill BCBS first (who would pay ditkus, usually), then for me AHCCCS (medicaid) as secondary insurance, and they usually pay. If they don't, or it's for DD (who just has our crappy BCBS ins), I pay out of pocket.

Yes, our insurance changed drastically last year. Our deductible per person went from $200 to $1000. We put the maximum amount in our flex fund every year -- $5,000 and have used it up by the summer the last couple of years. On top of that, our maximum out-of-pocket is something ridiculous like $9,000 this year and out of network reimbursements won't happen until we've met something like a $4,000 deductible per person. So, it's really an HMO, not a PPO as claimed. I basically can no longer get any reimbursement for going out-of-network and, of course, my lyme doctor is not in-network and that's $2,000 a year right there.

Our health care costs have been doing us in financially probably even more so than the rising gas and food costs.

Lisa

ETA: I'll also add that the 90-day mail order program used to be such a wonderful deal. We'd get 3 months of prescriptions for almost what it cost for 1 month if we had gone to the pharmacy. Again, starting last year or the year before, there is no savings at all in using the mail order program.

Edited by LisaTheresa

I didn't read the whole thread as I am about to walk out the door. But I can totally relate to this. We just had a change in our insurance. But our deductible is 6,000 bucks. Seriously??? That's insane! So now we pay out of pocket for all meds and appointments till the is met.My husband is on 4 different meds. A bipolar med, add med and antidepressant. My son is on Abilify which is over 600 a month. And I stopped taking my meds because I can't afford them anymore. We also have to pay out of pocket for all of dh and ds's psych appts... I don't know how they expect people to be able to even pay for meds and doctors like that.

I feel for you... just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

The only thing that sounds wrong is the "charged full retail price". They should be giving you the benefit of the insurance discount.

:iagree: I have a high deductible plan, and our broker told us to avoid paying up front even when doctors insist on it, because they tend to miscalculate the price. We are supposed to get the same price the insurance company would pay if we had already met the deductible. Of course, meds are different, because no pharmacy is going to give them to you without payment, but you should still be getting any insurance discounts that might apply.

:iagree: I have a high deductible plan, and our broker told us to avoid paying up front even when doctors insist on it, because they tend to miscalculate the price. We are supposed to get the same price the insurance company would pay if we had already met the deductible. Of course, meds are different, because no pharmacy is going to give them to you without payment, but you should still be getting any insurance discounts that might apply.

What would worry me is what the insurance company will say. They may be expecting the patient to pay the reduced priced, thus taking longer to reach the deductible. However, if patient is paying full retail, she will reach that deductible more quickly. Right? Is is my logic flawed?

Anywho, I'd be on the phone with the insurance company. Paying full retail and then finding out the insurance company is only giving credit for reduced cost would suck really bad.

It sounds to me like you're now on a high deductible insurance plan. We've been on those before and were pretty happy with them - normally your premiums are lower and if you don't need much health care you come out ahead financially. Its a lower-ceiling version of catastrophic coverage.

Our prescription medications aren't submitted to the ins company and we have to pay upfront at the pharmcy. Instead of submitting and getting an 'insurance discount' (like you will for dr. visits/testing/hospital), each pharmacy has our insurance info and they have a list of what we pay for each medication (copays, percentage of drug cost, etc...). Rx also doesn't count toward our deductible - check if this is the case for you.

Do you need name brand meds and that's why they're so $$? We ran into this a few years ago when our insurance would only pay what a generic cost, which was under $20, and we had to pay the price difference from name brand :(. We now purchase from Canada - it saves us 50% per month. Here's the company we use, they've been great: http://www.adv-care.com. Fast shipping and our doctor just faxes the rx's to them when we need a refill.

Edited by Sevilla

Most pharmacies bill your insurance and then charge you whatever the insurance doesn't pay. So you should be able to shop around for a pharmacy, have whatever pharmacy you choose bill your insurance, and then you pay them whatever the insurance won't (i.e., the full balance in your case).

For example, my pharmacy (walmart) would bill BCBS first (who would pay ditkus, usually), then for me AHCCCS (medicaid) as secondary insurance, and they usually pay. If they don't, or it's for DD (who just has our crappy BCBS ins), I pay out of pocket.

Our insurance plan BCBS requires us to use their mail order pharmacy, PrimeMail. PrimeMail did bill our insurance company as you said and since we hadn't met our deductible they charged us the full retail price and then our insurance credited this towards our deductible.

We did find a different mail order pharmacy (Health Warehouse) that we can use and pay out of pocket but they don't bill our insurance company so it doesn't count towards the deductible. But the prices are substantially cheaper though: Seroquel is $865 through PrimeMail but only $465 through Health Warehouse, Ambien (generic) is $195 (?) through PrimeMail but only $35 for the same through Health Warehouse. There are a couple others that are simlilar.

Of course, I am going to pay the cheapest price I can find but right now my insurance company (BCBS) doesn't know how we can report these cost so that we can count them towards our deductible. I have decided to cut as many meds as I can right now and see how it goes. Then I will have all dental work and eye care done first so I can put those on the flex card since they don't count towards my deductible. The I will continue with all my back care for as long as I can and hopefully meet my deductible before I run out of money on my flex card.

I have never had a plan like this before so it is all totally new to me and I am having a hard time figuring out how to make it all work. Theoretically it should work out fine because our total out of pocket max for the family is $4800 and we have $5000 on our flex card but as I said this does not take into account any dental or eye care. Eye care could probably be put off because we all got new glasses last year but dental can not. The youngest two both have cavities that need filled, I need a crown and hubby said he needs some work as well although I don't know what.

It sounds to me like you're now on a high deductible insurance plan. We've been on those before and were pretty happy with them - normally your premiums are lower and if you don't need much health care you come out ahead financially. Its a lower-ceiling version of catastrophic coverage.

You're right. The hard part is when you do need the health care. Three of us have chronic conditions. One of my son's is particularly expensive (he has a metabolic condition and autism). The stinky thing is they write policy options so no one has a legitimate choice except the high deductible plans. When you use your insurance you end up paying the out of pocket maxes every year. For us that's something like 9,000 this year. That's outside those premiums and the things insurance won't cover. They write the plans to discourage the use of health care imo. That doesn't work well when you have no choice.

Our policy also has certain meds we have to have (no generic alternative) in those upper tier costs. Of course, they don't even cover one of my son's even though it is has orphan drug status and is covered for his condition in Canadian health care.

Edited by sbgrace

Our prescription medications aren't submitted to the ins company and we have to pay upfront at the pharmcy. Instead of submitting and getting an 'insurance discount' (like you will for dr. visits/testing/hospital), each pharmacy has our insurance info and they have a list of what we pay for each medication (copays, percentage of drug cost, etc...). Rx also doesn't count toward our deductible - check if this is the case for you.

Do you need name brand meds and that's why they're so $$? We ran into this a few years ago when our insurance would only pay what a generic cost, which was under $20, and we had to pay the price difference from name brand :(. We now purchase from Canada - it saves us 50% per month. Here's the company we use, they've been great: http://www.adv-care.com. Fast shipping and our doctor just faxes the rx's to them when we need a refill.

We have ten different medications between all of us. Eight are generic but the other two are still brand name and don't have generics yet. It is those two that are really killing us. I am assuming that our prescriptions do count towards our deductible because the lady said that once we met the deductible then our prescriptions would be free. It is just that we basically have no prescription coverage until then. Thank you for the link. I will check them out. I have been kind of cautious about ordering from Canada because I wasn't really sure what the laws were regarding this. The other mail order pharmancy I found is in OH and happens to be licensed in our state.

Edited by KidsHappen

Yep, I am taking Elmiron and the lowest price we have been able to find anywhere is $1400 for three months. I had severe pain when I was first diagnosed that lasted for several years. This was way back before they even had Elmiron so there wasn't any thing that they could do. The pain went away for about 15 years and then came back again. This was about three years ago which is how long I have been taking the Elmiron now. I haven't had any problems since then so I think I am going to try and go without it for awhile and see what happens. If the pain comes back then I guess I will fork out the money for it.

Good Gravy! $1400!! I think I recall it being something like $376 a month, it seems like it went up??

I didn't want to take it while I was pregnant and nursing since there isn't any information so I went off it.

My insurance has changed since I have been taking it as well. I am really worried about how much it will be. :svengo:

I have had some relief from antihistimes. I did have a full allergy panel since I read about allergies being an issue with IC on the ic-network and they did find a major food allergy. You might consider it.

ETA: The IC-network also has information about getting financial help with your meds, that might be worth a shot.

Edited by Sis

ETA: The IC-network also has information about getting financial help with your meds, that might be worth a shot.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I will check it out. I never actually met or personally heard of anyone else that has this problem. I think that there may be some hormonal link. I never had any problems when I was pregnant or breasetfeeding and I have also had a few other fairly long periods of remission so I think that I am going to try going without it for awhile and see what happens.

We have ten different medications between all of us. Eight are generic but the other two are still brand name and don't have generics yet. It is those two that are really killing us. I am assuming that our prescriptions do count towards our deductible because the lady said that once we met the deductible then our prescriptions would be free. It is just that we basically have no prescription coverage until then. Thank you for the link. I will check them out. I have been kind of cautious about ordering from Canada because I wasn't really sure what the laws were regarding this. The other mail order pharmancy I found is in OH and happens to be licensed in our state.

I'm not sure how it works state to state, but they seem to ship all over the US. Our state had some sort of agreement with them at one time which is how I found them. You can call their toll free line and ask though. FWIW, Elmiron lists as $215.00 for 100 pills at the 100mg level.