Menu

I'm in the market for some new make up, what's your favorite brand....

Or what have you bought lately that you were/weren't happy with? My skin tone is just blotchy looking if I don't wear make up and I'm just tired of the current cheaper stuff that I'm using. My skin can sometimes be slightly oily to start with, so anything that would help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Phlox

Or what have you bought lately that you were/weren't happy with? My skin tone is just blotchy looking if I don't wear make up and I'm just tired of the current cheaper stuff that I'm using. My skin can sometimes be slightly oily to start with, so anything that would help with this would be great.

Thanks,

Phlox

What kind of effect do you want to achieve? Are you into something bold and dramatic or neutrals. How much time/energy do you want to put into making up your face. Do you have any sensory aversions against powders or liquids?

What's your budget, and what do you think you need?

I'm a total makeup junkie, so if you tell me what types of makeup you want to buy (primers, concealers, foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, liners, bronzers, lip stuff, etc.,) I will be happy to let you know what I use.

Also, about how old are you and what is your skin type (oily, normal, dry?) Are you fair-skinned, medium, olive, tan, or a deeper shade?

Cat

PS. What are you using now, and what do you like and not like about it?

Thanks,

Phlox

Disclaimer: I sell Avon.

Most of the make-up I use is from Avon, but ... and this is probably heresy of some kind... I don't like most Avon foundations. The only foundation I've ever used that I truly love and truly makes my skin even better for wearing it is the Perfecting foundation from Arbonne. Also, the Arbonne primer is fantastic. It leaves your skin feeling wonderful and it really does make your foundation go on better and last even longer. I didn't care for Arbonne's eye make-up at all. The pigmentation is very good, but it doesn't last well, and the mascara and eyeliner smudge terribly, leaving you with raccoon eyes by noon.

My fave eye shadows are in the mark. line from Avon. I wear glasses and feel that paler pretty colours work best for me. I also quite like the waterproof mark. eyeliner. Fave mascara is the SuperExtend mascara, which is waterproof but not dry, like so many waterproof mascaras. Fave blush is in the Smooth Minerals line. The colour "Radiance" works well on me -- very subtle, not "HEY! I HAVE BLUSH ON!"

I like any of the Avon lipsticks, but I also really like Clinique's line called "Almost Lipstick." It's between a gloss and a lipstick. I wear the colour "Almost Mocha" quite frequently and get a lot of compliments on it.

For nails, nothing beats O.P.I. Their colours are so gorgeous and last very well without chipping (but a touch-up with a top coat every 3-4 days will help extend it even more). Right now, I have the colour "Lincoln Park at Midnight" on shorter nails. It's a really nice, very dark purple-y colour that works well with my winter wardrobe. That said, I think China Glaze brand comes a very close second. Their top coat, especially, is probably better than O.P.I. and the price is about a third less.

If you're talking about foundation, I vote for Benefit. My skin sounds exactly like yours and I haven't found a single thing I like better. The foundation I use is called "Some Kind of Gorgeous," which I know sounds kitchy but I promise...it's wonderful. I've turned several friends onto it and not one person has ditched in for something else.

What's your budget, and what do you think you need? Probably just some new foundation/powder etc. I have eyeshadow that I like, eye liner, lipstick, etc. I was using some Revlon Mineral liquid foundation that I think I got for free a while ago. It was pretty much out, so I have some Almay similar product, that I also got for free, but it's probably lighter than it should be and seems a little runny, I don't know. I think both were discontinued. I've never been really good with make up, but am trying to do better than simply putting on eye shadow and calling it done, using more eye liner, mascara, what not. I am 36 and have medium skin, sometimes oily during my periods, I have larger pores on my nose, though not as bad as when I was in school. I could spend up to $100 if I absolutely had to, but would like to keep it lower than that. The hardest part is not 100% knowing what color to go with. any tips would be great. Thanks,

Phlox

I'm a total makeup junkie, so if you tell me what types of makeup you want to buy (primers, concealers, foundations, blushes, eyeshadows, liners, bronzers, lip stuff, etc.,) I will be happy to let you know what I use.

Also, about how old are you and what is your skin type (oily, normal, dry?) Are you fair-skinned, medium, olive, tan, or a deeper shade?

Cat

see above.

I'm a loyal Bare Minerals user. I used it a few years ago and had several people ask me what I had done to make my skin look so wonderful. However, it's a bit pricey, so I switched to something else for a couple of years. This past summer, I started using it again. Shortly after that, somebody told me my skin looked "radiant" and asked me what I was doing to make it that way. I'm never switching again.

ETA: I have dark patches on my face. Bare Minerals does help that.

see above.

A good primer can minimize your pores and create a smooth canvas for your makeup to go on. Benefit's Porefessional is good, if you're going to go with bare minerals then you might want to get her Prime Time primer to go underneath. Bare Escentuals's website often has a lot of sales on their starter kits, sometimes Sephora.com does too. I haven't used Benefit's foundation, but I've heard good things about it too. For me, I vascilate between Bare Minerals and Nars Sheer Glow depending on my mood. Another thing that you might want to look into is a good exfoliator. Especially once you get into your 30's it's important to exfoliate a couple of times a week. It will get all the layers of dead skin off so that your make up will go on better and smoother without getting "stuck" on dry or flaky patches. If you have a Sephora near you, you can actually go in and get your makeup done for free by one of the makeup artists. That way you can try out different brands before you buy since they carry a huge selection including bare minerals and benefit. HTH

Disclaimer: I own a mineral makeup company and formulate my own products and have for several years, so this influences my information. I'm also an esthetician so that factors into my answer as well.

If you are looking to try mineral makeup, make sure you find one that contains Kaolin clay since you have oily skin. The clay will help absorb the excess oil. The type of coverage you desire will greatly influence the formula you need. Look for companies that are willing to send you a sample of the product so you can judge for yourself the coverage and color match, or go to a makeup counter and have an esthetician or makeup artist match your color and apply the product so you can view the coverage yourself.

I look best in mineral makeup, but it photographs horribly.

Since I don't want to change my routine up when pictures are on the horizon, I don't use it.

I don't like the feel of make up in general. So I put on face cream and then a really sheer tinted cream with SPF that I get from my esthetician--it's call TiOx3 or something like that. Then I use a bronzing stick from Mary Kay for blush. This is unrecognizable as make up. I look like myself, only better! My favorite lipstick is Champagne by Lancome, which is a clear rosey pink and very emollient in feel but also long lasting. I use whatever mascara is handy. My Mary Kay lady has a mascara club--she sends you a new one every three months so you don't let it get too old.

Oh! Help me. I have Lancome matte. It's too dry! I am done! I'd like medium-ish -coverage in neutral fondation for combo dry/oily skin. I am (medium) fair with green eyes, and I am never happy with shadow, foundation, or blusher!

What's your budget, and what do you think you need?

Cat

Edited by LibraryLover

I have slightly dry skin now and I wear Paula's Choice tinted moisturizer foundation with Physician's Formula loose mineral powder on top (neither is heavy at all and I like the combo).

L'Oreal blush and eyeliner. I've used Covergirl Lipslicks tinted lip gloss (in a stick, not gooey stuff) for years. Maybelline Full 'N Soft Mascara.

I'm very happy with these particular choices and do not want to change. LOL!

Philosophy Supernatural - I have both the cream foundation and the mineral powder foundation. I generally use the mineral powder for everyday use, and the better-coverage cream on Sundays for church or special occasions.

I used to use Bare Minerals, but after a month or so of us, I developed some sort of sensitivity to it, and while it looked great, I didn't think it was worth the compelling urge to claw off my face due to the itching. :lol:

I used to use Bare Minerals, but after a month or so of us, I developed some sort of sensitivity to it, and while it looked great, I didn't think it was worth the compelling urge to claw off my face due to the itching. :lol:

This reaction is very common in products that contain Bismuth Oxychloride.

Oh! Help me. I have Lancome matte. It's too dry! I am done! I'd like medium-ish -coverage in neutral fondation for combo dry/oily skin. I am (medium) fair with green eyes, and I am never happy with shadow, foundation, or blusher!

I used to use Lancomme matte but it was too drying

I also like medium coverage, I have combo skin (that tends very dry in the winter and very oily in summer). I have medium (fair) skin with green eyes. And I swear I am not making this up!

I posted this before, but I tried Benefit for foundation...a product called "Some Kind of Gorgeous," and I swear it's the second best I've ever used (Chanel is my favorite but a bit cost prohibitive for me).

For eye shadow, I use Sephora's products primarily. A light highlighter and a purple/lilac in the crease, and some sort of neutral on the lid (typically whatever I grap out of the drawer..I have tons).

Strange that our skin and complexions seem so similar!

Another vote for Bare Minerals. I just started using it over Christmas break. I took my kids to swim class this morning and was stopped by two different people at the reception desk and asked what I'd done because I looked refreshed and radiant - no small feat given that I got about 4 hours of sleep last night. It's totally the makeup. LOL!

FWIW - if you have any outlets near you, check for a Bare Escuentuals store. That's where I got mine and I got everything I could possibly need for about $60...and just the starter kit costs $69 at a retail store... They also will do a "make-under" to teach you how to apply everything and to see how it looks on you. And if you're unhappy with it, you can return it - no questions asked.

I look best in mineral makeup, but it photographs horribly.

I wonder if you used an HD setting powder instead of the mineral veil if that would be enough to correct the problem. :confused:

Laura Mercier's translucent powder photographs beautifully as well and you could use that as a setting powder with mineral makeup too. :)

Philosophy Supernatural - I have both the cream foundation and the mineral powder foundation. I generally use the mineral powder for everyday use, and the better-coverage cream on Sundays for church or special occasions.

THIS! I adore Philosophy Supernatural. I've been using it for years. I generally use the powder for every day, but sometimes I just put on the cream, depending on what kind of coverage I want and how big of a hurry I'm in. The cream can be worn with no blush or anything over it (for me any way). It evens out my skin and makes it look fabulous. I don't care for the rest of their makeup (I use Bare Minerals or Every Day Minerals-cheaper than Bare Minerals), but I've been using their moisturizer, Hope in a Jar, for years. It's been on Oprah's favorite list a few times and there is a reason. This is hands down the best moisturizer I've ever used. I get compliments on skin all the time since I've been using it.