Menu

s/o What denominations are NOT reformed?

So, thanks to the religion threads dh and I have discussed our theology and while we do agree with Total Depravity and Irresistible Grace, we do not believe in Limited Atonement or Unconditional Election.

What denominations are not considered Reformed but are not Emergent? (They always seem to be juxtaposed these days!)

Edited by FairProspects

I don't think there's a clear cut answer for your question. I've grown up Baptist, and you can find a wide spectrum just in Baptists. Some are reformed (although even that term can mean different things to different people) and some are decidedly NOT. Some Baptist churches lean more towards emergent, and others NOT! I think every denomination varies on beliefs/leanings. IMHO, very few topics are "deal breakers" to me. I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong unless it's a fundamental belief.

Not-Reformed: Methodist, Episcopal, Nazarene, Assemblies of God, Vineyard (I think), other charismatic churches (generally speaking), Weslyan, some Baptist (this varies WIDELY - you'd need to ask at the particular baptist church their stance on reformed or not).

I'm sure there are more - but those are the first that I know of :).

Hazarding a guess from personal experience here: Free Methodist, United Methodist, Wesleyan, Nazarene, Evangelical Free Church, and possibly The Churches of God Anderson, Indiana affiliation. But, as far as emergent church (which isn't really a denomination but a rather pervasive philosophical approach), I'd say that amongst any denomination that is not R.C., EO, or RCA, you could possibly encounter some emergent church type practices. We attended a Free Methodist church, briefly, that appeared to be headed that direction yet that is not the common practice or belief of the denomination itself.

I hope others will be able to answer you more thoroughly.

Faith (out of hiding for now...we'll see how it goes)

Evangelical Free Church

E-Free churches tend toward reformed in doctrine. They're not Weslyan/Arminian/charismatic by any stretch, and you won't find the Reformed Elements like liturgical/church calendar/infant baptism. However, doctrinally they tend toward Calvinism (i'd give them an average of 3/5 points of TULIP adherence ;)).

Edited by Sevilla

Okay, this is making sense. We have gravitated toward several of these denominations in our life anyway. We attend a Nazarene church, do AWANAS at a Baptist church, and ds goes to a Methodist preschool I love.

What does liturgical mean? Can one be liturgical and not reformed?

Eastern Orthodox is not considered a denomination (not sure if that matters to the OP, so that's why I mention it), and is most assuredly not reformed.

Is that similar Catholicism? A catholic friend and I do seem to share some similar beliefs, although not about the Pope.

Yes, Methodists and Episcopal/Anglican churches are also liturgical but not Reformed. Liturgical just means that you follow the Church Calendar, have certain elements of the service said/done in every service, use symbolism like candles/incense at key parts of worship, and most likely practice infant baptism and celebrate Communion every Sunday.

There are many non-denominational churches that are not reformed but are also not emergent. Bible Churches, Community Churches, and just general non-denominational churches can be reformed, but typically are not.

Other denominations don't take a firm stand one way or the other and may have some reformed members, I am thinking of Christian and Missionary Alliance, Southern Baptist, and many of the smaller denominations.

Methodism is founded on John Wesley, who was a follower of James Arminius's teaching (hence the term Armenian). Free Methodists broke off from the Methodists (who are now called United Methodists) a long time back and as a whole, tend to be far more conservative than the United Methodists. Wesleyan Methodists are also more conservative. Nazarenes fall in there as well as a smaller denomination called the Missionary Church.....there are others, but those are the better known ones.

I think a Wesleyan thread needs to be started by someone.....we ARE Christians too! ;-)

Dawn

What denominations are not considered Reformed but are not Emergent? (They always seem to be juxtaposed these days!)

Calvary Chapels stand somewhere between Calvinism and Arminianism. Coming from a CC background and having left our local CC church, it's been a real struggle to find a new conservative yet relaxed!) church. We're not charismatic, are leery of the larger denominations, and were surprised to find how many churches are reformed. While we live in a metro area of 300,000, we are driving an hour away to another CC church.

There are many non-denominational churches that are not reformed but are also not emergent. Bible Churches, Community Churches, and just general non-denominational churches can be reformed, but typically are not.

Other denominations don't take a firm stand one way or the other and may have some reformed members, I am thinking of Christian and Missionary Alliance, Southern Baptist, and many of the smaller denominations.

Methodism is founded on John Wesley, who was a follower of James Arminius's teaching (hence the term Armenian). Free Methodists broke off from the Methodists (who are now called United Methodists) a long time back and as a whole, tend to be far more conservative than the United Methodists. Wesleyan Methodists are also more conservative. Nazarenes fall in there as well as a smaller denomination called the Missionary Church.....there are others, but those are the better known ones.

I think a Wesleyan thread needs to be started by someone.....we ARE Christians too! ;-)

Dawn

Some stuff on Methodism that I posted on another thread, just reposting here now:

I thought this article titled "The Triumph of Arminianism" was interesting.

http://www.crivoice.org/arminianism.html

and a chart comparing TULIP Calvinism to Wesley's perspective:

http://www.crivoice.org/tulip.html

and this piece was helpful to me as well:

http://www.crivoice.org/freedom.html

God’s Foreknowledge, Predestination,

and Human Freedom

"All this is to say that for Wesleyans, the whole issue is dealt with on a different level than trying to preserve some logical construct about the sovereignty of God as an absolute category of His being. The question would be: How does God demonstrate His sovereignty to humanity? There in specific reference to the issue of human freedom, I would respond that God demonstrated His sovereignty in an act of grace by granting to humanity their freedom to choose (Wesley called this "prevenient grace"), knowing that that freedom to choose could be used to choose something other than Him. In our human understanding, there is no greater expression of love than to grant another person the freedom to choose, as any parent who has raised a child understands all too well.

We cannot grant something that is not ours to give. And yet God chose to give away part of His sovereignty for the sake of authentic and real human freedom. For me, logically, if God (or the Devil!) is "in control" then humans are not authentically free, and therefore are not accountable or responsible. That does not eliminate God being able to work out His purposes in the world, or to bring about an ultimate and final reconciliation of all Creation to Himself, as Paul eloquently expresses in Romans. Nor does it interfere with His providential care for humanity. But it does mean that human decision can thwart God’s purposes in the world, and we can choose the creature over the Creator. That choice is not without consequences, but it is a genuine choice."

So, thanks to the religion threads dh and I have discussed our theology and while we do agree with Total Depravity and Irresistible Grace, we do not believe in Limited Atonement or Unconditional Election.

I don't think there's a clear cut answer for your question. I've grown up Baptist, and you can find a wide spectrum just in Baptists. Some are reformed (although even that term can mean different things to different people) and some are decidedly NOT. Some Baptist churches lean more towards emergent, and others NOT! I think every denomination varies on beliefs/leanings. IMHO, very few topics are "deal breakers" to me. I'm not going to tell someone they're wrong unless it's a fundamental belief.

Not-Reformed: Methodist, Episcopal, Nazarene, Assemblies of God, Vineyard (I think), other charismatic churches (generally speaking), Weslyan, some Baptist (this varies WIDELY - you'd need to ask at the particular baptist church their stance on reformed or not).

I'm sure there are more - but those are the first that I know of :).

I've known quite a few Baptist churches that believe in predestination and/or dominionism (either by a narrow or more wide definition), especially Southern Baptist churches. A few charismatic churches also preach dominionism. You have to be very careful because some groups use subtle terminology.

In a strict sense, only Catholics and Orthodox are not reformed, they are pre-Reformation :-) - all Protestants protested and wanted to reform smth they considered erroneous.

Actually, what you describe would be reformed in the general sense, not "Reformed" in the strict sense. There are specific tenets within Protestant beliefs that define the "Reformed" doctrines.

We could get even more general and say that the Roman Catholic church is reformed (lower case "r") in the general sense because they made changes that the rest of Christendom didn't want to follow. Those who didn't want to follow the Roman changes became known as Orthodox.

But, the OP is referring to the Reformed doctrines, spelled with a capital letter, defined by John Calvin, and not adopted by "Armenians", who are defined by Reformed believers as anyone who is not "Reformed". It has little to do with the original Reformation.