Menu

So.........WHAT did you wake up to this morning?.........I found.....

an email from Bank of America that they had put a hold on my ATM card due to suspicious activity. :w00t:

I called the phone number they provided, and sure enough, a little after midnight, someone was playing fast and free with my card #. I have to go in and get a new card, I filed a claim for the losses (approx $400.), and THEN I had my coffee!:glare:

Off now to another marathon Odyssey of the Mind session - I will 'coach' (which means I will sit there and watch and probably finish addressing my holiday cards) -- I am incredibly impressed with the level of cooperation, critical thinking skills, and everything I see from the 'team' (4th grade) that I am coaching.

A blessed day to everyone! (THIS is our third OM marathon session this week).:grouphug:

There must be something in the air.

I got a call from my car insurance agent yesterday about the bank changes to my account (direct withdrawal) that I requested. I was like :confused:. I never requested anything? In this case it's likely a mix up because I have a very common last name and another customer probably called in, but still...

My dh has had the same problem that you had Mariann, 4 times in 2 years!!! But it never happens to my card and we share the account and I shop 87 more times a day than he does. It seems quite fishy to me and I wonder if it has something to do with where he goes. Mostly restaurants for lunch, but also auto supply stores. Dunno.

This is weird because I got an alert from my bank in my e-mail this morning. I did not use the link the e-mail provided (I'm suspicious that way) and I can't find anything wrong with my account. Later I need to call the bank direct to see if the e-mail itself was a scam. One more thing to add to the "to do" list!

You did the right thing! I once took a workshop on fraud when I was still in the paid work world. Also, for anyone who gets a call about fraudulent activity to their debit cards, credit card or bank account, be sure to end the call and call back on a number you know REGARDLESS of what your caller ID says. I once had a fraud call and the con artist had managed to get the real bank's name & number to show, but it wasn't our bank.

When this happens to a card, I call the number on the card right away. We have had real fraud twice, and the second time we learned from a phone message. When I called the number on the credit card in question, I was immediately transferred to the fraud dept because it was real

Never, ever give info to people who call you; always say that you'll call back.

This goes for other things, too. I remember receiving a call wher someone was trying to commit fraud with our office that had to do with the photocopier where I worked, but that was a big more involved, and it was before the workshop, but things didn't make sense during the call so I hung up.

Edited by Karin

an email from Bank of America that they had put a hold on my ATM card due to suspicious activity. :w00t:

I called the phone number they provided, and sure enough, a little after midnight, someone was playing fast and free with my card #. I have to go in and get a new card, I filed a claim for the losses (approx $400.), and THEN I had my coffee!:glare:

Off now to another marathon Odyssey of the Mind session - I will 'coach' (which means I will sit there and watch and probably finish addressing my holiday cards) -- I am incredibly impressed with the level of cooperation, critical thinking skills, and everything I see from the 'team' (4th grade) that I am coaching.

A blessed day to everyone! (THIS is our third OM marathon session this week).:grouphug:

:svengo: Does it ever end???

Sorry you have to deal with this crud....glad it wasn't worse. So, whatis this Odyssey of the Mind of which you speak? Homeschoolers around here are so lame...we can never get anything academic going....totally lame.

Faithe

That is a hassle! We've had similar issues with ours over the years - "compromised" numbers but always caught before they were used fraudulently.

I woke up this morning to find that my car won't start.

And we are out of milk.

I tried to reconstitute evaporated milk to make breakfast, but it was pretty blech.

:svengo: Does it ever end???

Sorry you have to deal with this crud....glad it wasn't worse. So, whatis this Odyssey of the Mind of which you speak? Homeschoolers around here are so lame...we can never get anything academic going....totally lame.

Faithe

Running out the door, BUT do a google search for 'Odyssey of the Mind' and you can read about it. OM IS the reason we joined THIS co-op and I have to tell you, I am so thankful (I am NOT a joiner) this is the nicest group of folks our family ever could have hoped to meet.:)

OM meets in public schools if the district is willing to fund it. Homeschool groups also do OM - there is a fee (which comes out of our co-op fee I assume b/c no one has asked us for any $$$). The group we are in placed 2nd in Nationals last year -- I would have to describe it as a Gifted and Talented Program for Homeschoolers as far as it being done with a h/s group.

Years ago, my two older dds did G&T via an after school program at the private school they attended -- I see now (20 years later) that the activities, questions, problems assigned, etc are totally similar to the problems dds had to work on 20 years ago.

It has been a great thing for my kids as far as getting experience working cooperatively, thinking critically, and (here's that AWFUL word) SOCIALIZATION. The other night, a four hour session ended with a pizza party for the two OM groups in our co-op.

I will say it is ALOT of work, requires an enormous commitment (I have stepped into fill the slot that someone else vacated), and did I say an ENORMOUS amount of work (for the kids) and an enormous time/scheduling commitment for the adults. I have taken on the 'status' 'informational updates' that are sent ot the parents which is a fair amount of emailing - but that stuff is easy for me so it is not a biggie.

It is probably one of the MOST worthwhile things we have done regarding homeschooling -- dd11's friends who are on break from private school are sitting home emailing each other -- dd has been at OM almost every day and when my three aren't at OM, they are working on various aspects of their 'problem' -- writing songs, choreographing dances, making costumes, painting backdrops or sketching drafts for other backdrops.

Let me know if you have any questions.:)

Please call your bank at a number that YOU KNOW. There are scams out there and I wouldn't trust the number in the email. (I don't know about anyone else, but none of my banks have ever contacted me via email - they don't have my email address! Never have.)

I got the call from an automated machine and it hung up on me. So I called my bank with my regular phone number for them and connected to the fraud department. THey told me that a charge for .01 appeared at 3am December 25th from Arizona. They told me that people who have gotten hold of a number they are not sure is active do this first, then start charging real money. I did change my netflix account.

Does your card have the Blink feature which is a RFID chip in the card that crooks can read the card from your wallet by just standing next to you with a device:glare: My dh had fraudulent charges from Australia several weeks ago that the bank alerted us to and that particular card had the Blink feature. We also happened to use the card at Target that day but I think that was a coincidence.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/personal-finance-credit/electronic-pickpocketing-now-risk-some-credit-card/nFhX/

Edited by priscilla

Please call your bank at a number that YOU KNOW. There are scams out there and I wouldn't trust the number in the email. (I don't know about anyone else, but none of my banks have ever contacted me via email - they don't have my email address! Never have.)

We did get our suspicious activity notice via email. I do use online bill pay and paperless bills. To be safe, I called the number on the card though first before I responded to the email:)

I would also ask if they can give you a card without the Blink feature:)

Edited by priscilla

Sorry to hear you are going through this, ick.

Just a warning to everyone, when you are shopping keep an eye on your card. Don't hand it to the cashier and then turn away. My dad had his info stolen by a cashier once. I guess she had a hand held card swiper up her sleeve which recorded the needed info, later a fake card was made with all the info, but a different name (for ID purposes) and used in a different country. Imagine his surprise. Luckily, dad remembered seeing her swipe the card. He hadn't thought anything of it because he asked her about it and she said it was the stores, blah blah blah, and she was going for the receipt up front. This was a long time ago, but I guess these devices have gained popularity.

Danielle

Does your card have the Blink feature which is a RFID chip in the card that crooks can read the card from your wallet by just standing next to you with a device:glare: My dh had fraudulent charges from Australia several weeks ago that the bank alerted us to and that particular card had the Blink feature. We also happened to use the card at Target that day but I think that was a coincidence.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/personal-finance-credit/electronic-pickpocketing-now-risk-some-credit-card/nFhX/

DH was telling me about this last night.

I will PM you later about yours to me.:)