Menu

Minor Vent/PSA

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks, I really don't care what you name your kids. Seriously. Call the girl Quasimodo for all I care.

However.

Could ppl please can it with the weird spellings?

'Pawla' "Distiny' 'Dystny' 'Sevastian' 'Millisa' Folks don't think, "Wow! Those parents are just so cool!" Rather, they think, "Geez, they couldn't even be bothered to spell the kid's name properly!"

Furthermore, if you do choose to create your own spelling, you are not allowed to lose your mind if the name is spelled with the typical spelling on invitations, gifts, etc. We're not all gifted with psychic abilities and instinctively know you've spelled your kid's name differently.

This has been the end of the PSA.

But...but...but then, how are they to show the world how kre8v they are???

I know someone named Colin, and constantly, people spelll it Colon ???

My uncle's name is Colin - on the birth certificate. However, his own mom and dad (and the rest of the family, of course), always called him "Colon" (like the punctuation mark or the end of the intestinal track!).

Awhile back, I asked my dad, "What were mamaw and papaw thinking when they named Uncle Colon? That is when my dad revealed to me that Uncle "Colon" was actually Uncle Colin. My grandparents/dad/everyone in my small hick town apparently thought Colin spelled "Colon" and that has been his name all his life. :tongue_smilie:

My husband has went OCD on me and insists that first, middle and last each have 5 letters. I LOVE the name Rory, so if we were to ever have another daughter, her name is likely to be spelled Rorye. :001_huh: Rorie and Roary are just awful to me. I may just have to throw Rory out all together. :glare:

Don't get me wrong. Both my dds have names that have several accepted spellings, so I always clarify when asked. Plus Diva's 'regular' nickname is a shortened version of her name, and it trips ppl up initially. They 'get' it when its spelled once, since its like, "Ooooh! That makes way more sense than what I was thinking..."

I also loathe it when ppl sub in a 'y' for every vowel possible.

I've seen 'Destiny' spelled as 'Dystyny" :001_huh:

Had a friend in school...name was 'Nivis" which was ALWAYS pronounced 'Knives' by teachers the first day. She was adopted when we were 11, and promptly changed her name to Danielle.

I especially love when someone has (imo) horribly misspelled their kid's name, and then argue that *my* name is spelled wrong! :blink::banghead:

Now that you've mentioned it, I've always thought your name wasn't quite right. How's Ympysh???

:D

Edited by Teachin'Mine
added 's lol

I think Rorey looks best. ;)

My husband has went OCD on me and insists that first, middle and last each have 5 letters. I LOVE the name Rory, so if we were to ever have another daughter, her name is likely to be spelled Rorye. :001_huh: Rorie and Roary are just awful to me. I may just have to throw Rory out all together. :glare:

Awhile back, I asked my dad, "What were mamaw and papaw thinking when they named Uncle Colon? That is when my dad revealed to me that Uncle "Colon" was actually Uncle Colin. My grandparents/dad/everyone in my small hick town apparently thought Colin spelled "Colon" and that has been his name all his life. :tongue_smilie:

Colin Powell's name was originally 'Koh-lin' (short 'o'), which is the West Indian pronunciation, but he chose the more American pronunciation with the long 'o'.

Laura

I knew it wasn't made up, but did not know it was a German spelling. I wish there was a better way of spelling it but cannot find one. The other way we could spell it is Annalise, but that looks like Anna-lice to me. :tongue_smilie:

I really don't want Lisa to be a part of the name, but Anna-lisa is pretty.

I spell my daughter's name as Anneliese. I took the spelling straight from a professor that I had in college. (The professor is of German descent, but not a German professor. She taught music. :))

FWIW, we pronounce it "Anna-LEESE", not "Anna-LISA", however, we have been told we are "pronouncing it wrong" by a well-meaning, non-German speaking, but of German descent, older man.

As a somewhat related side note, we have a friend named AnnaLotte, her mother speaks fluent German, and they pronounce her name as "Anna-Lahtuh". She has never corrected my family's pronunciation of Anneliese (without the 'uh' sound at the end). Maybe she is too kind to tell us we are doing it wrong? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by fastforward

But...but...but then, how are they to show the world how kre8v they are???

:lol:

Kwahzeemoughdough.

:smilielol5:

Now that you've mentioned it' date=' I've always thought your name wasn't quite right. How's Ympysh???

[/quote']

:blink::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Colin Powell's name was originally 'Koh-lin' (short 'o'), which is the West Indian pronunciation, but he chose the more American pronunciation with the long 'o'.

Good to know. When I named my Collin, one reason I avoided the single "l" was because Colin Powell was prominent in the news and I don't like the long "o" pronunciation. Another reason I gave him the double l spelling is because it looks more symmetrical with his middle name, William. I don't think his name has ever been mispronounced with the long "o", but he or I do have to spell it for people if we care to get the right number of l's.

her name is likely to be spelled Rorye.
Please, resist. :tongue_smilie: Rory is already a name fraught with pitfalls (think, "did she say Lori?") Why add to the confusion with a spelling no one will anticipate? But yeah, Roary is by far the worst!

Good to know. When I named my Collin, one reason I avoided the single "l" was because Colin Powell was prominent in the news and I don't like the long "o" pronunciation. Another reason I gave him the double l spelling is because it looks more symmetrical with his middle name, William. I don't think his name has ever been mispronounced with the long "o", but he or I do have to spell it for people if we care to get the right number of l's.

Please, resist. :tongue_smilie: Rory is already a name fraught with pitfalls (think, "did she say Lori?") Why add to the confusion with a spelling no one will anticipate? But yeah, Roary is by far the worst!

I'd pronounce Collin and Colin differently. Your adding the second "l" closes both syllables and makes both vowels short. Which was what you had in mind, yes?

I second the no Roary. It looks like someone misspelled Rosary.

Your adding the second "l" closes both syllables and makes both vowels short. Which was what you had in mind, yes?

Oh, but it's pronounced "Col-IIIn", with a long "i", don't you know? :lol:

jk

Yeah. Two l's. Short vowels. :001_smile: My aim to be perfectly clear.

I spell my daughter's name as Anneliese. I took the spelling straight from a professor that I had in college. (The professor is of German descent, but not a German professor. She taught music. :))

FWIW, we pronounce it "Anna-LEESE", not "Anna-LISA", however, we have been told we are "pronouncing it wrong" by a well-meaning, non-German speaking, but of German descent, older man.

As a somewhat related side note, we have a friend named AnnaLotte, her mother speaks fluent German, and they pronounce her name as "Anna-Lahtuh". She has never corrected my family's pronunciation of Anneliese (without the 'uh' sound at the end). Maybe she is too kind to tell us we are doing it wrong? :tongue_smilie:

A dear friend of my grandparents is named Anneliese. I'm pretty sure that is the spelling and I've always known her as Anna-leese. Although maybe she is from a time when names were more likely to be "Americanized?"