Menu

Q? for those who are/know creative/artistic types

I've been pondering this myself for a while and wondered what others thought.

Do you think creative artistic types are more inclined/predisposed to being depressive? Also, are they/you better able to create when in a blue state?

This includes writers and musicians. Basically anybody who creates.

I would say yes, and yes.

I would say yes, and yes.

Oh my gosh, I was going to say the very same thing, right down to the repetitive yesses.

So... yes! But I will say that it's not just when I'm feeling blue. There is an urge to create (through writing or painting) whenever I feel a surge of emotions, positive or negative. Painting is better for freeing my mind if I need to think something through. Writing is cathartic, a good release of whatever I've pent up.

Yes, yes, yes. Yes to writers for sure. I was in a funky blue mood yesterday and actually pulled into a rest area to write down some notes for a story I'm working on.

For musicians, I think it depends on what you're writing. I've written a couple of worship songs and when you write about praising God it's totally different.

Writing is my therapy. I get anxious and irritable when I haven't written anything in more than a week.

So, I'm glad to hear others say this.:tongue_smilie: I don't like to wallow in the blues really, but then again I kind of do. It's almost like I can't express, through drawing, painting or writing, what I really want to unless I kind of go inside myself in that way:confused: I hate it, but it's true.

:iagree:

One of the great writers about mental health issues Dr Kay Jameson wrote a wonderful book about manic depressive states and creativity. Here is the link

http://books.google.com/books?id=T5jYtG0zDBgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=touched+by+fire&source=bl&ots=TweGoqnvY2&sig=WIDUwbD03FnjR0l5X8PZ87wz-og&hl=en&ei=-UYRTfeqHMGp8AbjlOGADg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false The book is titled Touched by Fire. It is devastating and eerily accurate in describing people I have known.

One of the great writers about mental health issues Dr Kay Jameson wrote a wonderful book about manic depressive states and creativity. Here is the link

http://books.google.com/books?id=T5jYtG0zDBgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=touched+by+fire&source=bl&ots=TweGoqnvY2&sig=WIDUwbD03FnjR0l5X8PZ87wz-og&hl=en&ei=-UYRTfeqHMGp8AbjlOGADg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false The book is titled Touched by Fire. It is devastating and eerily accurate in describing people I have known.

Thanks, that looks interesting. I'll add that to my books to read.

Thank you for the link!

Weird.

I was just going to say that I'm more inclined to go crazy creating if I'm in a very high mood...it could be music or HS planning or sewing or baking or organizing closets or...I very much hyper-focus on things when the mood strikes.

If I'm feeling blue, I'm more likely to avoid the creative process...but love wallowing other people's creativity (esp music).

I'll have to check out that book...with trembling hands...mental illness runs all up and down one side of my family and the basic premise of the book hits very close to home.

Hmmm. I never thought much about it. But the other day, I was feeling blue and started playing the piano to try to snap myself out of it. But I wasn't writing music. Just playing it.

And I like to be in a good, upbeat mood when I write. I feel more productive when I'm neutral or happy, rather than depressed.

But the fact that many creative people create when they're blue would certainly explain a number of the depressing novels out there.

How about yes & sometimes? I think you're really asking a different question, though--

For me, sure, writing can be cathartic, but it can also *cause* a mood that's...bluer? But I think of it more like jet lag: there's an emotional process involved in moving from one world to another, & I can only write when I'm completely immersed in another world. I have to be there--smell it, hear it, etc. And if I'm *there,* I'm not here. And going in between isn't as simple as turning the computer off/on.

Different moods move me between different forms of creativity. Sometimes the dark feelings make me want to write. Other times paint. Sometimes it's the bright feelings that move me, though. Any change in mood (& my mood changes are dramatic & sudden) effects my creativity, for better or worse.

Sometimes I begin to wonder if it's like time travel. (Hehehehe) *Ahem.* The more you go back & forth, the harder it is to go back & forth. I expect to eventually get stuck on the other side. Sometimes I look at dh talking to me, & it's like he's very small & far away. I expect that by the time I'm old (if not sooner!) I'll be certifiably crazy.

And I think I'm okay with that. It's not like this world is a square hole or I'm a round peg.

My eldest loves to create. She writes stories, draws, works with wool felt and other natural materials, paints, sews, makes jewelry, plays piano and composes her own music, etc. She even sells stuff on Etsy! She's 13yo, and except for the occassional hormonal slam, she is a very cheerful, happy person.

ETA: Not that I disagree with the premise that artists tend toward melancholy, just giving an example of one who doesn't.

Edited by Mamabegood

No, I don't. I think artists probably suffer at similar rates to the rest of the population. Artists don't have so much stigma attached to it though - it's their 'creative process', not a mental illness.

Creative people should probably realise that they need to take responsibility for their mental health issues because they impact on others around them.

I don't believe suffering from anxiety/depression makes you a better artist/writer. I don't believe dealing with your own brain chemistry stops you creating or accessing your muse.

I think creative types ( and I am one, published poet ) get away with causing pain for themselves and others because of that stereotype.

Introversion, or the need to be alone, to have plenty of non-verbal thinking and creating time is necessary to create. That's different to depression, moodiness or even the blues.

Just my 2c :)

I can only speak for myself.

And what I do know is that when I was an unmedicated and out of control bipolar, I wrote *a lot* of poetry, fiction, works of that type, but had a much harder time staying focused and motivated to finish research papers and the historical fiction I love to write (which requires research and methodical writing).

Now that I am more in control I find I have a much harder time writing fiction or poetry, but I am better able to do the research required for papers and historical fiction, and stay better motivated to finish those.

I can really relate to what Kymmie wrote...

I am prone to depression...the deep, dark kind. Right now, I am good and am on medication. :lol: But, I think what I write/create is better when I am low. My prayer life is better too. I feel closer to God...strange, I know. But I guess it is this desperation for Him that isn't always present when I'm doing fine.

I am mostly a musician and sometimes a wanna-be writer with my blog and journaling, etc. I have been a melancholy probably my whole life I just didn't know it. I hate my personality type! :glare: :lol:

Wow, ladies thanks for the responses. This has been something that has been niggling at me for years, I guess. What I feel when I am writing or drawing etc. is something I long for and crave but it is so elusive. Even though I am low or blue, when I am engaged in creating, I can't even descibe it with words really, it's just completely satisfying. When I try to go back, it's gone. I guess I'm just coming to the realization that I don't want to be happy all the time if it means I can't do what I love. That I will have to grab that feeling when I can because the satisfaction of creating is worth more to me than being always happy and feeling incomplete. If any of that make sense:confused:

And Aubrey I totally get what you mean about people seeming small, I always think of it as being "myopic".

Dh, a professional artist, says that he finds that creativity comes through forced introversion/introspection.

This is why I don't allow myself to be creative very often. I am very, very introverted and a perfectionist when I am creating/assembling a project. I am not a good mother when I am in this mental place (think self centered, impatient, and very nit-picky). It is like I am a totally different person, one that my children need not see on a regular basis.

I wish I could create without going deep inside, but I can't...it just isn't there. It takes about 1/2 of a day to come out of this mental place, so it doesn't work with a family.

I'm not a good mother either when I write. I become completely absorbed in what I'm doing and find it irritating to be dragged out of that world into my 'mummy' role.

Also, I need a lot of time just thinking - not talking or listening to other people! - to even start to 'hear' what I'm going to write. That doesn't mesh well with having my children with me 24/7.

So I mother much more than I write. Although now they are older ( 13, 11, 6 ) I feel they can manage my 'absence' a little more and so I do write more than when they were little.

Interesting thread.