Menu

Do you have red living room furniture? If so...

What is the rest of your color scheme?

I went to the furniture store to buy a new dining room table last week. And, impulsively, I also bought a new living room set :001_huh:. It's dark red, corduroy textured microfiber, casual but not too much. A couch, love seat, chair and ottoman. I also bought glass and wood coffee and end tables.

It will be delivered on Tues and now I'm starting to get worried. It's red! My current furniture is traditional style dark brown leather. My drapes are dark green silk (I made them) and cream colored sheers. My rug is black, red and gold, and the floors are a dark wood color. My walls are a mocha color.

What colors would I need? The red is dark...almost rust, but more red - I guess, kind of the color of old brick. What window treatments/colors? Should I paint?

Holy cow. I'm starting to panic.

ETA Here's a link to the picture of the sofa. I hate the pillows, so I'll be making new covers for them.

Edited by LauraGB

I have a bright red couch :001_smile:. Uh, I do not really worry about schemes here though. The house has a textured white wall and celing(came that way when we bought it). We have a rocking chair that is green and 4 crib mattresses for dog beds that get covered in whatever crib sheets I buy:tongue_smilie:. 5 tanks of gerbils a hutch of science supplies and 2 book shelves and a 5 foot tall green cat stand.

Hope that helps ;)

Oh, carpet is grey and curtains are a patterned yellow"ish". The hutch is darker wood. bookshelves are natural wood and the stand holding the gerbil tanks is silver metal. We have 2 black coated metal shelves on the wall holding dvd's and a light green picture frame with a drawing of a koala bear above the sofa.

Edited by vettechmomof2

I have the same red color couches... only in leather. My walls are mocha as well. One wall is a brick red.

I have mocha colored carpeting... black end tables.. and a dark brown leather ottoman.

Right now our windows coverings are white wooden blinds. Ick, I need something else.

I've wanted a red couch for years. (Can't sell DH on it. :glare:)

In my latest fantasies, I've paired it with warm yellow walls, but I tend to crave bright, light spaces.

That said, the mocha might work with the red. I'd definitely live with the couch in the room for a week or so before deciding how much you want or need to change.

I wonder if I messed up by getting everything in red. The only other color options were the seizure-inducing pillow design (like the chair in the pic) and white.

With regards to the rug - I really love it, and the red is close to the red in there. I wonder if I can accent the furniture with the colors in the rug, or if it might be too many strong colors at once... But, I guess I'm not opposed to changing it...but for what colors? More red?

Is the red in the furniture the same as the red in the rug? If so, you might consider pillow covers that bring in the black and gold from the rug with some of the green from the windows to tie together what you've already got going. As far as wall color, I agree that you probably need to see the furniture in the space for a few days before you make any drastic decisions there. You might find that it works nicely.

What is the rest of your color scheme?

I went to the furniture store to buy a new dining room table last week. And, impulsively, I also bought a new living room set :001_huh:. It's dark red, corduroy textured microfiber, casual but not too much. A couch, love seat, chair and ottoman. I also bought glass and wood coffee and end tables.

It will be delivered on Tues and now I'm starting to get worried. It's red! My current furniture is traditional style dark brown leather. My drapes are dark green silk (I made them) and cream colored sheers. My rug is black, red and gold, and the floors are a dark wood color. My walls are a mocha color.

What colors would I need? The red is dark...almost rust, but more red - I guess, kind of the color of old brick. What window treatments/colors? Should I paint?

Holy cow. I'm starting to panic.

ETA Here's a link to the picture of the sofa. I hate the pillows, so I'll be making new covers for them.

I think it will look good. The only issue might be the window treatments. We're just moving into our house and our walls will be mocha, hardwood floors with a leopard print rug, dark wood tables, and I eventually want a sofa the same color you linked. I think that color can almost be a neutral in a room.

I would probably try to find some silky pillow, something that shines the light instead of absorbing it, and perhaps some draperies to match. You could also lighten it up with some brushed nickel lamps. I would do some lamps that would have a strong focal point to pull your eye up.

Then I would try to find a piece of art that pulls some of the red and other colors in the room.

Just from your description and the picture of the couch, I'm thinking that the only thing that probably needs to be changed is the rug. I can't imagine a black, red and gold rug with that furniture but of course it would depend on the shade of red and gold.

:iagree:

Sounds to me like you have the beginnings of a perfect color scheme. Since you said the red in the rug is close to the furniture and you love it, definitely stick with it as your base. When planning a room I like to have the darkest colors on bottom as they seem weightier and that seems to ground the room. So I think having the black in the rug works as well. I might pick a shade of gold similar to the one in the rug for the walls. Finally, I would go with the red for the curtains as well with gold sheers and then some gold throw pillows. So you have a black, red and gold color scheme with just a little black so it is not overwhelming and then red and gold as base and accent colors. This should give you a warm cheerful room. Sounds perfect to me.

I plan on doing my living room in the same colors just a little different in the combinations. I also have a rug with black, red and gold. I am planning on red walls, a tan furniture set that has a red paisley print, curtains of similar color with red sheers and throw pillows and then some gold lamps, candles and other accessories. My room will end up with more red so it will probably be a little darker and cozier but red is my favorite color so I am ok with this. My only concern is that my formal dining room also has red walls and I am afraid this may be too much for one floor. The dining room has a black carpet, black velvet curtains and black sheers. I am currently looking for a black and gold print to recover the dining chairs with. So the walls are the only red in that room but it is connected to the living room and my first floor is not huge so I am a little concerned about it. If I feel the red walls won't work out in the living room, I will probably go with a gold. As a matter of fact, all of the walls that we have painted ourselves so far are some shade of gold or red and I think that the rest of the ones we are going to paint will also be one of those two colors except for a single accent wall in the dinette which will be a plum color.

I have a dark/brick red sofa and loveseat. My tables are the same color wood as the new ones you're getting. I have mocha walls as well. :)

By the description of your rug, I would play on the gold theme. Get some gold throw pillows for the sofa, and maybe some gold curtains.

Your colors all sound very lovely. My only other suggestion, in trying to brighten the room, would be to paint your trimming bright white.

The sofa and the tables are beautiful! I think the green drapes will go very nicely. Maybe you can bring some of that same color into the pillows. You may want to lighten the walls a bit, or maybe just have one wall an accent color - like a yellow squash color? That might add a bit of punch, or it might be too overpowering with the red black and gold of the carpet. Maybe the gold of the carpet could be brought onto the walls to tie everything together. I think that it will all work nicely. Get it home and see how it all works and then you can play with colors. :)

I have a red microfiber couch and loveseat, DH picked them out :D

We have khaki colored walls and honey colored hardwood floors. We have dark/distressed black entertainment center, computer hutch and a small side table. Other than that, no furntiure or accessories in the LR. Oh and my curtains are black on the one big window and on the side window is a really pretty red pattern on it.

I love that couch! I think I'd do window treatments close to the color of the paint and keep the sheers. Have the couch be the color pop, kwim? I like the glass in the tables. Not sure about the rug from what you describe - where else is the black and gold in the room?

A designer told me that whatever color you introduce should be represented in threes: couch, flowers, and candles in red, for example. Not more, not less. :001_smile:

Thanks for the input! Today I spent time taking everyone's advice and picturing it in my head while I stood in my living room. The rug always seemed dark to me, but its primary color is a faded sagey green, then the black, with red and gold accents (including the fringe). I think it'll work because the tv and the table on which the tv stands is black, too. I do think I may need to redo the drapes...but after Christmas (you know - the red and green thing :rolleyes:), and the lamp suggestion is a pretty good one (right now they are bent dark metal with a "sueded" sort of lamp shade). You can see the dining room from that room now (we did a little remodeling and there is a large opening now) and that room is a sage green with dark purple drapes, so I should probably take that into consideration, too.

If the green in the rug is close to the green in the drapes, I don't think you need to change either one. Red and green are complimentary colors, and the rug ties it all together. I'm not sure about the mocha on the walls. You'd need to see it with the red to see if it clashes. You might just need to get some pillows and a throw or two (different fabrics) that have all of the colors between them (red, green, mocha, gold) that will tie them all together.