Menu

Best tips for using this forum? (plus, GO ME!)

First I want to say a HUGE thank you to "Parrothead" (Chucki) for taking time to pm me a few weeks ago and guide me through the techniques for editing and jazzing up my signature line so that I didn't have to cut and paste each time!

Then, I want to shout a "go me!" as I finally figured out why I wasn't recieving email notifications on subscribed threads. . .ummm. . .my email was outdated :glare:

Third, I thought it be great if some of you expert beehivers could share your best tips for making this board easier to use and manage with those of us still a bit challenged!

Feel free to start here ;). . .

I for one, cannot figure out the "multiquote" thing. How do you DO this? When I click the button, nothing happens. HELP ME!

First I want to say a HUGE thank you to "Parrothead" (Chucki) for taking time to pm me a few weeks ago and guide me through the techniques for editing and jazzing up my signature line so that I didn't have to cut and paste each time!

Then, I want to shout a "go me!" as I finally figured out why I wasn't recieving email notifications on subscribed threads. . .ummm. . .my email was outdated :glare:

Third, I thought it be great if some of you expert beehivers could share your best tips for making this board easier to use and manage with those of us still a bit challenged!

I for one, cannot figure out the "multiquote" thing. How do you DO this? When I click the button, nothing happens. HELP ME!

Hey tina!

Just did that last post so I could do this.

Click the multi-quote button on each post you want to quote. it should turn orange. Then go down to post. Click post and each post you quoted will be waiting for you in a reply to thread box.

You can also practice different stuff on the practice board.

I taught myself to do polls there!

Well, I've been on this board since the first days we switched from the old formula.

I only found out about the button to skip the previously read threads a few months ago. Yeah, I'm quick with computers that way. :glare:

Even sadder, in the post I read before your's, I only just noticed the 'skip already read posts' that appears in the the first post of each thread. So if you didn't hit the button when looking at the whole list of threads, and accidentally opened up the first post of a thread you've read 5 pages on already, there's a button above post #1 that skips you to page 6.

It was the post I read before yours. Really.

Well, I've been on this board since the first days we switched from the old formula.

I only found out about the button to skip the previously read threads a few months ago. Yeah, I'm quick with computers that way. :glare:

Even sadder, in the post I read before your's, I only just noticed the 'skip already read posts' that appears in the the first post of each thread. So if you didn't hit the button when looking at the whole list of threads, and accidentally opened up the first post of a thread you've read 5 pages on already, there's a button above post #1 that skips you to page 6.

Wait....there's a button to skip previously read threads? All this time I've been doing it the hard way?:svengo:

Please, share!:bigear:

wait a minute ... I saw the view first unread thread button, it has a little checkmark in it, but it never takes me to the last post i actually read. Maybe it can't tell? Or maybe I'm missing something?:tongue_smilie:

Just did that last post so I could do this.

Click the multi-quote button on each post you want to quote. it should turn orange. Then go down to post. Click post and each post you quoted will be waiting for you in a reply to thread box.

You can also practice different stuff on the practice board.

I taught myself to do polls there!

Woohoo! It works, it works! I've tried that darn button before, but never noticed it changing orange. Thanks SO much!

Let's throw in another "go me!" for good measure :lol:

Off to investigate the "skip" option ;)

Great tips!

When I read a longer thread for the first time, I like to read in hybrid mode - this helps me to follow the various lines of the conversation.

However, once I'm entrenched in a longer thread, I switch to linear, and click on "view last unread" so I can just see the updates.

Probably not earth-shattering, but it helps when the threads have a lot of layers.

wait a minute ... I saw the view first unread thread button, it has a little checkmark in it, but it never takes me to the last post i actually read. Maybe it can't tell? Or maybe I'm missing something?:tongue_smilie:

Okay, even though the button is checkmarked, you have to actually click it for it to take you to the last thread read. :leaving:

Okay, I looked, but I'm not seeing the "skip" or "view last unread" options. Can you give me VERY specific directions? :001_smile:

When I come to the board, I used to just check certain boards for time's sake, but then I realize there was a "new post" button, so now I also start there.

When I read a longer thread for the first time, I like to read in hybrid mode - this helps me to follow the various lines of the conversation.

However, once I'm entrenched in a longer thread, I switch to linear, and click on "view last unread" so I can just see the updates.

Probably not earth-shattering, but it helps when the threads have a lot of layers.

Along this line of thought.....also realize that not everyone uses Hybrid mode, so sometimes you will end up with an 'off' comment that doesn't belong in a stream of thought. It isn't a big deal, it is just because that poster probably doesn't view things in hybrid mode, so they aren't aware of the different positions.

ie if you click 'post reply' under the last post, it will show up in hybrid tethered with that post, like you are responding to it or continuing on that same thought. IF you go back to the top of the thread and hit 'post reply' it will show up on its own stream of thought.

If that doesn't make sense here is an illustration Switch to hybrid mode if you aren't already in it (under 'display modes' in the upper right- in the blue bar) and you can see the different positions of the 'test' in relation to the post above it.

MY (Tap) test 1 is using 'post reply' after the last post

My test 2 is using the 'post reply' at the top of the thread

My test 3 is using 'quick reply'

Okay, I looked, but I'm not seeing the "skip" or "view last unread" options. Can you give me VERY specific directions? :001_smile:

When I come to the board, I used to just check certain boards for time's sake, but then I realize there was a "new post" button, so now I also start there.

Okay, I called them by the wrong names.

On the main board, if there are posts you have not read within a thread, there will be a little check mark to the left of thread title. If you put your cursor on it, it will read "Go to first new post." But it's only there if there are updates you haven't read. (It's also there if you haven't opened the thread at all, it just takes you to the first post.)

If you open a thread to post #1, in the blue box above the date/time of that post that started that one thread, there will be a check mark there that say "View first unread", but again, it's only there if there are updates you have not read. If you're scrolling up to the top of this thread, it won't be there as you've read all the posts so far.

when you click on a thread at the very top of the thread, right under the post to this thread button there is a little checkmarked box that says "view last thread read" you have to click on the checkmark, but then it should take you there. It is on the blue bar at the beginning of the thread.

It won't work if you're not logged in. I used to read a lot without logging in (just logged in if I wanted to actually post), then I discovered this feature. Now I always log in so the system can keep track of what I've read and not read.

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. Hopefully someone will see it here.

How in the world do you change your font style in your post? Not your signature, but your post??

I know I can change the color and style and size and stuff for each post, but is there a permanent way to do it?? Kind of like setting a signature, but setting my font style for my posts?

I asked this on the Testing Forum awhile back and no one answered, so any help?

I have a question, if you don't mind me asking. Hopefully someone will see it here.

How in the world do you change your font style in your post? Not your signature, but your post??

I know I can change the color and style and size and stuff for each post, but is there a permanent way to do it?? Kind of like setting a signature, but setting my font style for my posts?

I asked this on the Testing Forum awhile back and no one answered, so any help?

When you are in the box typing....it is in the top left corner of the box . Click on the font you want and start typing. It is in the 'post reply' boxes not the 'quick reply'.

I've been adding more tags on threads I've found useful. I figure that if I tag it, I'll be able to find them later. The search function only works moderately well for me.

I've also really been getting use out of the subscribe to this thread function. I will first go to the user control panel and read the threads that I cared enough to subscribe to. I can get my board fix without wading through all the stuff that just spins me up.

I've been putting more and more people onto my ignore list. I don't mind reading posts that are from a different perspective or who don't agree with me. But posters who just grate on my nerves don't add to my overall homeschooling experience. And they certainly don't gain anything from my attempts to make them see how wrong they are. Ignore helps keep me on track with homeschool related topics rather than the hot thread du jour.

Along this line of thought.....also realize that not everyone uses Hybrid mode, so sometimes you will end up with an 'off' comment that doesn't belong in a stream of thought. It isn't a big deal, it is just because that poster probably doesn't view things in hybrid mode, so they aren't aware of the different positions.

And some of us can't use hybrid or threaded mode — I'm not sure if it's a Mac issue or what, but if I try to read in hybrid mode, the window is about 3x wider than my screen, so I have to scroll about 3' to the right to get to the scroll bar to go down, which means I can't see the beginning of the lines, so I have to just guess how many lines down I've scrolled. Not worth the trouble, but it does mean I get totally lost when someone posts entirely in threaded mode, without quoting, because I have no idea who they're talking to or what question they're responding to. :(

Jackie

Okay, even though the button is checkmarked, you have to actually click it for it to take you to the last thread read. :leaving:

I found it! Thank you, thank you!

Oh neat! Reminds me of the old boards.

If that doesn't make sense here is an illustration Switch to hybrid mode if you aren't already in it (under 'display modes' in the upper right- in the blue bar) and you can see the different positions of the 'test' in relation to the post above it.

MY (Tap) test 1 is using 'post reply' after the last post

My test 2 is using the 'post reply' at the top of the thread

My test 3 is using 'quick reply'

Thank you for the illustrations! Learning SO much!

May I just say, God bless you Tina. I have learned so much I never understood about this board. :D

You and me both! I knew enough to post, but didn't have time to sit and play and figure out all the snazzy features! (Like multiquote! :D)

I've been adding more tags on threads I've found useful. I figure that if I tag it, I'll be able to find them later. The search function only works moderately well for me.

I've also really been getting use out of the subscribe to this thread function. I will first go to the user control panel and read the threads that I cared enough to subscribe to. I can get my board fix without wading through all the stuff that just spins me up.

I've been putting more and more people onto my ignore list. I don't mind reading posts that are from a different perspective or who don't agree with me. But posters who just grate on my nerves don't add to my overall homeschooling experience. And they certainly don't gain anything from my attempts to make them see how wrong they are. Ignore helps keep me on track with homeschool related topics rather than the hot thread du jour.

I wondered what the tags were for. Is that just for reference or search ease? (some I've seen appeared to be added for insult :confused:)

I've also been using, well attempting to use the "subscribed thread" but only just yesterday realized my email was outdated, making this tool much less useful than it should have been, lol! I have since updated my email and love getting the new replies notices directly to my email!

So, who ARE you ignoring these days? DO TELL ;) Just kidding! :lol: I've not felt the need to outright ignore anyone yet, but I can see where it'd be a nice feature if you need it!

Another thought - you probably already do this. The link I use to come to these boards takes me to my USER CP. This shows my subscribed threads that have new activity. Once I have viewed all the posts in a thread, it doesn't show up on my USER CP. I do this rather than have them emailed to me, because less email is more, as far as I'm concerned. :001_smile:

Another thought - you probably already do this. The link I use to come to these boards takes me to my USER CP. This shows my subscribed threads that have new activity. Once I have viewed all the posts in a thread, it doesn't show up on my USER CP. I do this rather than have them emailed to me, because less email is more, as far as I'm concerned. :001_smile:

Can someone please explain to me about subscribed threads? I just found it, but I don't see any threads I have contributed to. Is there a button I need to push for subscribe? TIA!

To do the multi-quote, I hit the multi-quote button for each post I want to quote- and nothing will happen at first- and when I get to the LAST post I want to quote, I hit the regular "quote" button (instead of the "multi-quote" button) and then a window pops open with all of the quotes therein. :) And it took me a long time to figure that out lol.

Can someone please explain to me about subscribed threads? I just found it, but I don't see any threads I have contributed to. Is there a button I need to push for subscribe? TIA!

First, when you post on a thread, you are then subscribed to it.

Second, if you would like to subscribe to a thread, but don't have any comments to make on it, you can subscribe by opening the thread and looking under "thread tools" tab at the top of the thread.

Third, your USER CP will show any threads you are subscribed to that have had new activity since you last opened them.

Fourth, if you want to see all of your subscribed threads, go to the lefthand column of your USER CP and click on subscriptions. That will show all your subscriptions, whether there is new activity or not.

I hope this helps!

ETA: You may not be subscribing to threads because of your settings. You can go into your settings and options and tell it to subscribe you with emails, without emails, or to not subscribe you at all to threads you post in.

Edited by Amy loves Bud