Menu

s/o Today show bargain segment - What bugs you about frugality advice?

I have a friend who does this -- spends several hours a week doing it, in fact -- and saves a TON of money. Comes home with a large trunkload full of groceries and toiletries and only spent 30 bucks or something. But I have to wonder how much she spent on gas driving around to all the diff stores to get those deals. She lives in a small rural town and has to drive to several other nearby cities to do this kind of shopping. You should see her basement... it's a regular store down there! :001_huh:

Yes, if I'd had to drive more than a couple of miles to make the circuit, it probably wouldn't have been worth it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got lambasted on a pregnancy group for some of those and for buying disposable diapers and wipes instead of using cloth or making my own wipes with paper towels.

Oh, but cloth diapers aren't about saving money. They are just so cute and and cuddly and fluffy. :001_wub: Saving money is just the bonus!

Seriously, sorry you were lambasted. Preggo mamas can be vicious! :lol:

I hate the ones that have heaps of tips but none that apply to me because they're all for rich people. I borrowed a book from the library recently, and among its recommendations were:

Stop getting my nails done professionally (never done this in my life)

Get rid of cable TV (never had it)

Cut down on eating and drinking (alcohol) out (nope, don't do that)

Cut down on new clothes (all our clothes are free or cheap secondhand already)

I read through an entire chapter and didn't find one singe tip that we weren't already doing, dangnabbit:glare:

Oh, but cloth diapers aren't about saving money. They are just so cute and and cuddly and fluffy. :001_wub: Saving money is just the bonus!

The only downside about doing elimination communication with our third child was having to stop buying the cloth diapers :lol:

I used to stand watch with officers about 4 years junior to me. They would almost always tell me that they couldn't put money into an IRA, because they didn't have that much.

These were single officers, who were making about $2-3k a month and couldn't figure out how to put $2k a year into an IRA. (This is about 14 years ago and 2k a month was more than covering things.)

I used to grab scratch paper and divide the $2k max (at the time) IRA contribution into monthly and then weekly chunks. Then I would ask them how much they spent bar hopping the previous weekend. Usually they would look embarassed. Often they'd admit that they really didn't know.

We had a neighbor whose family ate out 4-6 nights a week. Granted they were getting big service related bonuses every year. But she also was paying three private school tuitions. I couldn't see how they were saving any money between the schools, the eating out and all the shopping she did.

I do use coupons, and I do cook from scratch. I use only the coupons for the products that you will use. Yesterday, for example, I bought 3 lbs of cheese, 2 bags of croutons, 2 cans of frozen oj and 4 jars of natural pb for $4. Why do people love to bash coupon use? There are tons of coupons out there for dairy products, toiletries, etc.

Really, how much CAN you cut, without doing something really extreme, like only owning one set of clothing or never bathing or something, and becoming a frugal weirdo?

There are people who get rid of their cars, and ride a bicycle or walk everywhere. People who move to other, cheaper countries. People who grow all their own food. Is this extreme or brilliant? (Or both?) Is it extreme, or brilliant, or gross, to dig through the trash for your groceries? How about recycling your bath and washing machine water? Reusing tea bags? Trying not to throw away any paper? Using newspaper/phone book pages to clean your windows and scrub pots? As toilet paper? Reusing paper towels? Reusing plastic bags? Redoing greeting cards as postcards/gift tags? Using baking soda for all cleaning needs, including your own hygiene?

I am not sure what the line is.

I suspect that the line would be different for everybody, according to your taste, sensibilities and what you're used to. Some things might be disgusting to one person and normal to another.

I always use the same teabag about four times. I use plastic shopping bags in my trash can because it seems stupid to throw away one plastic bag and then pay for another similar one. I reuse most cards we get given, either as postcards or for the kids' crafts. I don't buy wrapping paper. Our gray water goes into the soil for our orchard and vegie garden. I'd love to go dumpster diving, except we can't because dumpsters here are locked up and have security, to stop that practice.

BUT, I couldn't give up paper towels in the kitchen, I hate cleaning with vinegar and baking soda, and there's no way I could do without shampoo, body wash or deodorant. I tend to buy expensive foods. And I'm an absolute sucker for books and educational products for my children.

Sometimes I'm frugal and profligate simultaneously, eg I buy expensive non homogenized milk and then water it down to make it go further.

Another person could do things the opposite way. I have a friend who recently got a large tattoo, had her hair professionally cut, and had a manicure (none of which I'd do), yet she wouldn't dream of using anything other than vinegar and water to clean her house (whereas I love my favorite cleaning product and consider it almost a necessity).

I know, I hear it too. But there are people that it applies to. My gf's who work in offices all have to have their nails done. They all get coffee out, they all do all that stuff. And yet, I'm the one who has the most luxury because I can stay home and need none of it.

If I had to go to work--we figured it out--we would be spending about 400 extra a month. Lunches and activities for the kids, easier dinners which cost more $, I would have to get a wardrobe (I hear they frown upon sweats at the office), I would need a mani and I would have to spend more in gas and I won't even think about the coffee-even a venti with just 1/2 and 1/2 would cost me five bucks a day. So, me not needing a job is a total luxury and I know it.

Up until kid was in high school, me going to work would have been a monetary loss. The kind of places we live do not pay enough for what I do to "get over" the hump of expenses plus the fact I'd knock us into the next higher tax bracket.

My grandmother used to cut open her toothpaste tubes. She would also water down her shampoo and keep the leftovers from all the plates! My brother and I would laugh and laugh.

Actually, this one is sound: every hairdresser I've ever known has told me to water down my shampoo 1/2 & 1/2. They say that it is sold at that concentration because people like the feel, not because it is needed. Go figure.

a

I just want to say that I am strange enough to squeeze ketchup, salt and pepper packets into our containers. No one ever wants to use them because they are a pain -- esp. the kethcup. I just cannot handle throwing useful things out.

But, I never take them just to take them. I use the ones the employees put in our bag.

I saw a guy on TV who took tons of ketchup packs from fast food restaurants and then SQUEEZED IT INTO an old container. Snort. He also claimed to take ripped shirts to the Goodwill and then buy them back when they'd been repaired and were up for sale again. Supposedly cheaper than repairing himself. I found him to be a bit beyond ridiculous.

BUT, I couldn't give up paper towels in the kitchen, I hate cleaning with vinegar and baking soda, and there's no way I could do without shampoo, body wash or deodorant. I tend to buy expensive foods. And I'm an absolute sucker for books and educational products for my children.

:iagree: to all of this. I do compost my paper towels, though. ;)

On the subject of couponing, I have been impressed with Kroger's coupons, though.

They send me coupons based on what I buy. One month, it was $7.00 off a $70.00 purchase. A $2.00 off any $7.00 meat purchase. $3.00 off any $20 produce purchase. And, there were many individual product coupons for things I buy all of the time. I guess that's the benefit of the VIP card.

They also have coupons on their website you can load onto your card so the coupon will be used automatically if you buy the product.

Regular clipping:

I clipped several Colgate coupons for $1.00 and got several tubes for 50 cents. I use Kashi coupons, canned fruit coupons, etc.

People could save a lot of money by canceling their cable TV. But I'm guessing most people don't want to give that up. Most people are in utter shock when they hear that we don't have cable, or any TV signal, and worse yet, don't care.

I've read that a small but increasing number of people (many of them immigrants, apparently, but not all) have "discovered" the joys of free tv!

Here was my conversation with the AT&T person trying to sign me up for U-verse:

She: What do you have for TV?

Me: A digital receiver for over the air channels.

She: What do you like about that?

Me: It's free!

She: Do you get a lot of channels with that?

Me: No. But it's free!

I do use coupons' date=' and I do cook from scratch. I use only the coupons for the products that you will use. Yesterday, for example, I bought 3 lbs of cheese, 2 bags of croutons, 2 cans of frozen oj and 4 jars of natural pb for $4. Why do people love to bash coupon use? There are tons of coupons out there for dairy products, toiletries, etc.[/quote']

I don't think people are 'bashing' it, I just think that lots of people have tried to use coupons unsuccessfully. I haven't seen coupons for dairy products that we use, for example. How do you find such coupons? Do you buy a Sunday paper every week? If so, do you buy multiple copies?

How can someone find coupons that are useful to them? I don't like shelling out bucks for Sunday papers when there are no coupons that I need, KWIM?

I don't think people are 'bashing' it, I just think that lots of people have tried to use coupons unsuccessfully. I haven't seen coupons for dairy products that we use, for example. How do you find such coupons? Do you buy a Sunday paper every week? If so, do you buy multiple copies?

How can someone find coupons that are useful to them? I don't like shelling out bucks for Sunday papers when there are no coupons that I need, KWIM?

:iagree: We don't have a store that doubles coupons and where we used to live that wouldn't have helped as they were overpriced anyway. I've always been able to find a brand that's cheaper than buying the name brand with a coupon.

I've read articles titled "10 Ways to slash your expenses" or the like. Very often the ideas suggested are so lame I want to SCREAM! I'm not really the screaming type so I just glare.:glare:

Here are some that really annoy me:

Stop smoking (oh, let's see, that will knock off about $0 from my expenses)

Take your lunch to work (ya think?)

Do all your errands in one trip. (Oh, thank you for that - never would've thought of it.)

Stop buying your morning coffee at Starbucks - it's so much less expensive to make it at home. (really? you're kidding, right?)

Anyone else seen some pretty lame advice on saving money? Anyone else get a bit, I dunno, irritated to the max by it? Just wondering if I'm the only one.

:iagree:

Seriously???????? If I could afford smokes, daily lunch out, and daily Starbucks, I wouldn't be reading frugal articles!! :tongue_smilie:

Why do they always tell me to give up lattes instead of giving up wine? My wine is more expensive. (now listen up, I'm not saying wine should be banned but let's face it, wine costs more than my lattes and nobody mentions that.)

Maybe they figure you spend less money when you're passed out on the couch next to an empty wine bottle... ;) :D

You made a great point, though -- they rarely mention not ordering alcoholic drinks when you are out, either, and they cost a lot more than a latte, too! (Not that it would help me anyway, -- I don't drink!)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

Maybe they figure you spend less money when you're passed out on the couch next to an empty wine bottle... ;) :D

You made a great point, though -- they never mention not ordering alcoholic drinks when you are out, either, and they cost a lot more than a latte, too!

Cat

Of giving up soda. We "save" probably $20 when we eat out bc only dh gets a drink other than water. A say save like that bc we don't do it for cost. Dh is the only one who wants the soda.:)

Of giving up soda. We "save" probably $20 when we eat out bc only dh gets a drink other than water. A say save like that bc we don't do it for cost. Dh is the only one who wants the soda.:)

You are so right, Martha! Often, it costs about $3 for a glass of soda in a relatively cheap restaurant (and a lot more in nicer places,) and half the time, I'd rather have a glass of water instead, so it's like I'm saving money on something I didn't want. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

You are so right, Martha! Often, it costs about $3 for a glass of soda in a relatively cheap restaurant (and a lot more in nicer places,) and half the time, I'd rather have a glass of water instead, so it's like I'm saving money on something I didn't want. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Not to mention only drinking water at home. I'm sure people spend a significant portion of their grocery budget on beverages like juice, pop, crystal light and so forth. We don't buy any of the stuff normally. We buy milk, tea bags, and ground coffee. This time of year, we buy hot cocoa and cider mix too. That's it. That much more money in the budget for actual edibles.:)

ETA: dh is the resident pop drinker. We probably spend a solid $25 a month on just that for him. It is just about the only thing he will drink and he has been that way since he was in 2nd grade and came home from school to a

promotional can of the very first can of sugar free diet pepsi waiting for his type 1 diabetic self.

Second ETA: I do drink wine, but dh doesn't. Maybe one bottle a month and less than $12. There's some very good ones that aren't nuts expensive. And it is a luxury that is not indulged if the funds aren't available. And dh home brews beer. I'm thinking of doing my own wine making. You know. In my spare time. If it doesn't cut into my Internet time. LOL

Edited by Martha

:iagree: We don't have a store that doubles coupons and where we used to live that wouldn't have helped as they were overpriced anyway. I've always been able to find a brand that's cheaper than buying the name brand with a coupon.

Well, the thing is for those using coupons on name brand you watch for the name brand on sale. If you wait for the best sale and then use coupons you can most always buy it cheaper than the store brand. The big couponers don't use coupons on items unless they are on sale. Of course watching for sales is important regardless that way you stock up on when things are the cheapest instead of waiting until you need it and paying full price.

I always said the same things that you cannot use them for anything I buy, it is cheaper for name brands. It really isn't true. We are gluten/dairy/soy free- additive/dye free and there are still things I could save money on- like pp have said things like tp, ziplocs, toothpaste etc everyone uses and money you save on that can be spent on other things.

All that being said it takes time and patience though and I haven't been couponing as of late, too many other things on my plate especially w/ a new baby, new to homeschooling etc. I really need to get back at it. My reserves of tp and dishsoap have long since ran out.

Not to mention only drinking water at home. I'm sure people spend a significant portion of their grocery budget on beverages like juice, pop, crystal light and so forth. We don't buy any of the stuff normally. We buy milk, tea bags, and ground coffee. This time of year, we buy hot cocoa and cider mix too. That's it. That much more money in the budget for actual edibles.:)

Ok, my Christmas gift to you:

Hot chocolate mix:

1 (25.6 oz) pkg. instant nonfat dry milk (10 2/3 cups)

1 (6 oz) jar powdered non-dairy creamer

2 cups powdered sugar

1 (16 oz) can instant chocolate drink mix

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Put in a large airtight container. Label. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 17 cups of Hot Chocolate Mix.

To make one serving, add 3 tablespoons of mix to 1 cup of hot water. Stir to dissolve.

(From "Make-A-Mix Cookery")

a

I'm not sure, but I think the local radio station may be responsible for at least some of the ads that play during the shows. Some of them may be national, but if I'm remembering right, most of the ads are sold at the local level and the Dave Ramsey show has nothing to do with it and doesn't even now what is being advertised - - -oh, maybe I misread the first time - - was he (Dave Ramsey) actually speaking on the commercial? That's a whole different story. . .

Dave wasn't on this particular commercial, but he does promote it. E-mealz is listed as a "trusted" company on his website. He gets money from them.

Ok, my Christmas gift to you:

Hot chocolate mix:

I just use cocoa, sugar, and a bit of vanilla for each cup, adding water and milk, instead of dried dairy/faux dairy products. Cocoa costs about $3 for a big jar. Alternatively you could make your own syrup. I did this once; it was just like the "boughten" junk.

I agree. On health and beauty or household products, I can "save" a lot of money using coupons, but I would have bought the same item for less by buying the store brand or in bulk, so I didn't really save anything. On a very few things, I still grab a coupon when I see it, because I am loyal to the name brand, but not usually.

I think there are basically two ways to get food more cheaply (other than growing it yourself, obviously.) You can make more things from scratch and buy whole foods in bulk, or you can coupon. You could even do a combination, I suppose, but most people I know are going in one direction or the other. They both work, but they don't necessarily work well together on the same items.

I just use cocoa, sugar, and a bit of vanilla for each cup, adding water and milk, instead of dried dairy/faux dairy products. Cocoa costs about $3 for a big jar. Alternatively you could make your own syrup. I did this once; it was just like the "boughten" junk.

Yep, it is. And some people absolutely love it because it IS just like the stuff in those packets.

Go figure.

a

Refinance your home at a lower interest rate.... Yeah because we all have stellar credit and everyone likes having their finances reviewed with a microscope.

Although we did do something different this year---we have really bad windows and instead of the plastic sheeting (that really doesn't work) I went to Goodwill on a 50% off day and bought comforters to put in all the windows. Not super attractive, but the furnace runs WAY less. (all for about 30.00)

Lara

In past the plastic on our windows didn't help much. But a few weeks ago Dh covered our windows with plastic.. and it has helped a ton. But this time he had help putting it up from a friend who has putting the plastic on windows down to a science-LOL. I think one of the tricks was use gorilla tape with the other tape that comes with the plastic. Other than that... I have no idea why it works this time and not before-LOL.

Yep, it is. And some people absolutely love it because it IS just like the stuff in those packets.

Go figure.

a

Well, I guess it's like people who like the flavor of many familiar prepared foods. Like butterscotch or peanut butter (Jif/Skippy vs natural). (However, the syrup doesn't have any dairy in it that I remember; it just involved cooking the sugar with the cocoa.)

Relatedly (?), my husband once returned from a shopping trip with a photo on his cell phone of two potatoes (skins still on), on a styrofoam tray and wrapped in plastic wrap for $4-something. Apparently they were sitting right next to the 10 lb for $3 bags. I've also seen a plastic container of cut up watermelon for $7! About 4 cups worth. What?

They do the same thing with mushrooms, and I don't know what all else. Bulk right next to small packages. The thing with the mushrooms is, they're not even in a self-contained bag. You take the number you need out of the bulk storage. So it's not like there's some person saying, "But I don't need a whole bag of mushrooms!"

Most people are in utter shock when they hear that we don't have cable, or any TV signal, and worse yet, don't care.

I actually do have quite a few friends who just use hulu and netflix. But wow, do I ever get sticker shock when we look at what cable costs! Or cell phone plans! (I have one of those tracphones you buy minutes for, and it's only for emergencies. But every single person at my workplace, including kids, has a slick looking, colorful phone with texting.)

What do you do to be frugal when being frugal is normal for you?

Exactly! :iagree:That's what I always think with those "WAYS TO SAVE" advice columns or news segments. Really? Coffee at home is cheaper? :001_huh:

But Ishki is right with the coffee example, too, because THAT WAS MY HUSBAND BEFORE I MET HIM.

He spent at least $7 A DAY ON STARBUCKS AND $30 A DAY ON EATING OUT WHEN HE WAS SINGLE, and he was a walking, living, breathing black hole of debt when I married him. :001_huh: We did straighten it all out, though.

:banghead: Mothers of sons, take note and schedule a lecture. :toetap05: Your sons' future wives will thank you someday.

As for my dear, sweet hubby, :001_wub: I have made that man reform his ways. We make coffee at home. :lol::lol:

Pp have mentioned a few. Things like:

Taking extra napkins from fast food restaurants (on purpose, not just a few extra from the bag) instead of buying them.

As pp metnioned, getting your condiments from restaurants.

Lying to get money you don't actually qualify for.

That sort of thing...

I will get extra of something at times... but then I figure it balances out with the stuff I don't get that "comes" with the order.

I never get sourcream with baked potatoes, but I do get extra butter (and I hate when they try to charge me extra for the extra butter).

I never get onions or tomatoes on my burgers, so I may grab an few extra napkins to keep in my car for when I go thru drive thru and they don't give enough napkins for the number of people I ordered for.

For meals that come with coleslaw.. I hate coleslaw (and none of my kids like it either) so I tell them to not bother giving it to us (I hate throwing food away when it is automatically given to me and I know I wont' eat it), instead I may grab a pack or two of a condiment to keep on hand.

I buy combo meals for Ds who never drinks anything but water (I just don't bother getting the soda... I figure I make up for it when I refill my cup).

One pet peeve I have is when I do go out to eat at fast foods and ask for a pack of a condiment... and they try to give 3 of them. I only need one. If I leave the extras on table they just throw them away.

I used to use coupons often. But the last few years I rarely find coupons for products I use (I buy specific brands for some stuff and buy generic for rest).

And to buy the newspaper to get the coupons.. well it just isn't worth it anymore (most articles are on internet for free).

To print out coupons from internet... means spending more on ink and paper and that is if the stores accept these coupons (used to be not many would).

The way I do it anymore to save on groceries is to shop at Walmart and have them price match on items that are advertised cheaper elsewhere.

I actually do have quite a few friends who just use hulu and netflix. But wow, do I ever get sticker shock when we look at what cable costs! Or cell phone plans! (I have one of those tracphones you buy minutes for, and it's only for emergencies. But every single person at my workplace, including kids, has a slick looking, colorful phone with texting.)

We dropped our cable several months ago... and I love it. We use hulu and netflix. For our favorite tv shows.. many are on internet at the broadcast websites. I still get to watch my CSI's and Bones. Not able to watch everything I used to but that is okay.

I don't need a fancy cell phone... but Dh does-LOL. He loves his new phone that he bought a few weeks ago. He saved up for it and found ways to save on some bills so the extra savings went to something that he really wanted. He picks his toys very carefully-LOL.

Edited by AnitaMcC

Yep, that's me. I did give it a go, when a friend of mine was doing the super-couponing thingy. Super-couponing is not for me. I'm more of the mentality to know the prices of things and know where the least expensive X is most likely to be. I know milk is almost always the least expensive at Martins or Costco, so I hardly ever buy it anywhere else. Walmart is great for cereal and bread. For me, either mentally or written-down price comparisons works better for savings that exhausting myself over coupons. Coupons just never worked out for me. Even if the coupon was for, say, Domino sugar, the generic sugar would be innocently sitting right beside the Domino for less than D with a coupon.

Or sometimes, something like paper towels were just too much mental gymnastics trying to figure out if the coupon was worth it vs. buy the cheap brand. It goes like this: "Brawny paper towels come 200 sheets to a roll, 6 rolls in the big package and the coupon requires buy two big packages to get a dollar off, plus it's double coupon today. Sparkle paper towels come 150 sheets to a roll, but there's 8 rolls in the big package. No coupon, but it's on sale. And I don't really want to buy two packages because we don't go through paper towels quickly. So, which is the better deal. :confused:

It seemed easier to just know that Sparkle paper towels are most often the better deal, on sale or not. :D

I'm more of the mentality to know the prices of things and know where the least expensive X is most likely to be. I know milk is almost always the least expensive at Martins or Costco, so I hardly ever buy it anywhere else. Walmart is great for cereal and bread. For me, either mentally or written-down price comparisons works better for savings that exhausting myself over coupons. Coupons just never worked out for me. ...

I do this, too. I have a mental price book and am comfortable not using coupons (for the most part), knowing that I am getting really good prices on the stuff I buy the most.

But last time I said that on this board, I was accused by a coupon zealot of squandering my dh' hard earned money. :confused:

Well, the thing is for those using coupons on name brand you watch for the name brand on sale. If you wait for the best sale and then use coupons you can most always buy it cheaper than the store brand. The big couponers don't use coupons on items unless they are on sale. Of course watching for sales is important regardless that way you stock up on when things are the cheapest instead of waiting until you need it and paying full price.

I always said the same things that you cannot use them for anything I buy, it is cheaper for name brands. It really isn't true. We are gluten/dairy/soy free- additive/dye free and there are still things I could save money on- like pp have said things like tp, ziplocs, toothpaste etc everyone uses and money you save on that can be spent on other things.

All that being said it takes time and patience though and I haven't been couponing as of late, too many other things on my plate especially w/ a new baby, new to homeschooling etc. I really need to get back at it. My reserves of tp and dishsoap have long since ran out.

We just moved and have two stores in town. Walmart and a regional store. Our food budget is such I can only buy what we will eat for a week and we generally don't stock up, with only 3 of us there isn't a huge need and we don't have the budget. I mean I'll buy an extra peanut butter if the other one if half full, but I don't buy forty rolls of TP at once or 14 cans of vegetables, but I generally can't buy more of something just because it's on sale. I'll be interested to see how the regional store compares to Walmart, where I'm used to shopping.

If I were single I'd be one of those people that shops 3-4 times per week, buying only what I needed to last that long. That could get expensive with a teenager though.

Okay, here's one I heard while flipping past PBS's pledge week presentation by Wayne Dyer. He was talking about the pledge for $1 a day. I think he was saying you could easily save it and then direct it towards the pledge. Then it became about how saving $1 a day was a tremendous accomplishment or something. Anyway then he was talking about how when he was in the service, he saved $1 a day, and after a few years when he got out, he had so much money, he paid for his own college education. Well, sorry, but that just doesn't work today.