Menu

This is why I don't like to make friends IRL

I have made two really good friends since we moved here and one moved away last year. The other just told me she is moving away at the end of this month.

I guess I'm just looking for a cyber hug, if anyone wants to give it. I'm totally bummed out.

that really stinks. I went through a period of time where everyone kept moving away. It affected me to the point that I was afraid to make new friends, and didn't for a couple of years. And for many years after that, if I found out you wanted to move, I didn't invest my time in a relationship with you. Wrong, I KNOW! But I was so tired of everyone moving after I had become fond of our friendship!

I seem to have made many friends who have roots here, now, so I don't think that will be happening with most of my friends now. Still, I have one friend I *ADORE* and I know her dh wants to relocate, :sad: I'm going to enjoy he while I can because we laugh ourselves into a fit when ever we're around each other.:D

I encourage you to continue to enjoy your current friends and seek out new ones. I know I didn't handle things right and I got lonely. I have MANY wonderful friends I've since met, whom I wouldn't have ever known if I had kept up my walls.:grouphug::grouphug:

I hate it when friends move away. I am not good at long-distance relationships, and I am so, so sad (and even a little angry, which is not necessarily rational, but there it is) when friends move away. :grouphug: I admit to feeling a bit abandoned, though I know quite well it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with their lives. Sigh.

People need to STOP MOVING! :glare:

I am rooted here and am not going anywhere, and a big part of the reason is that I like my community, and can't even imagine having to start making new friends elsewhere. So the friends I have here can please stay put! :tongue_smilie:

Anyone nice that wants to move here, though, is more than welcome! :D

I'm with you. My last really good friend just stopped phoning and emailing. Apparently she got so busy with her own school, her son's homeschooling, her family life, and her DH's business that she didn't have time for a friendship. That was about 2 years ago now I think. It sucks.

:grouphug:

Thank you all. As twisted as it sounds, I am really thankful for the friendships I've made here/online. It's a different kind of friendship, but valued, nonetheless.

Comforted to hear that so many have been through the same thing. :(

:grouphug: sorry for you.

People need to STOP MOVING! :glare:

That would be us... :blushing: We've moved 8 times in 12 years, because of DH's contract jobs. We're just about to move again. It's an odd place to be really.. because you know that you're going to be moving again soon, so you don't really invest in friendships, and everyone else knows you're probably moving on, so most of them don't bother much either. Having said that, I do have just a handful of friends who I keep in touch with long distance, on facebook, email and by phone; these are my "kindred spirits" and no matter how long it is since I've seen them, when we do meet up again we just go from where we left off, as if I'd been with them only the previous week.

One day we'll settle down and stop moving...

I have made two really good friends since we moved here and one moved away last year. The other just told me she is moving away at the end of this month.

I guess I'm just looking for a cyber hug, if anyone wants to give it. I'm totally bummed out.

:grouphug: I know exactly what you mean. I definitely go through a grieving process when that happens. I will even push away from people wanting to become friends because I'm afraid of it happening again. One lady who was only going to be here for 4 years tried and tried for 2 years to become friends and when we did we had a great relationship. Of course, I grieved again when she was gone but I lost 2 key years. :sad: It is just so hard.