Menu

I'm off my diet and can't get back on it! HELP!

I lost about 20 pounds and I'm on my way to gaining it back. I started out this morning saying today is the day, I'm gonna do it! Then I had a cup of green tea and about 15 minutes later had a little scoop of peanut butter with a dollop of whipped cream on top. :sneaky2: Seriously? I can't make it 15 minutes? I feel like an addict and my drug is killing me.

For lunch, I had turkey and BBQ sauce then some more of my peanut butter/whipped cream spoonful.

HOW can I stop this craziness and just eat properly? :crying: Just do it, right? Any advice welcome. :)

Throw out the target foods. Seriously, until you get a handle on getting back on the wagon, it's better to not be tempted by the foods that are too tempting.

I am back on Weight Watchers, in week 2. It's really hard to let go of those bad habits. I lost 24 lbs. by March 2010 and since then have gained 20 back. I'm having to just say no to my trigger foods: homemade pizza, Starbucks (except a Skinny Vanilla Latte once a week which is only 90 calories), cookies, chocolate milk, and granola bars (I can eat several of these in one day).

Throw it out!!! :tongue_smilie:

Get rid of the peanut butter and the whipped cream. Only keep low-cal foods in the house. You can do this! If I can do it, you can! If you're craving creamy, comfort foods, get some fat free, sugar free pudding and FF, SF cool whip to get you past the holidays. Just don't have the tempting foods in the house!!

.. then I'm going to write down what I'm going to eat for the rest of the day and try to stick to it!

You should also keep a journal of what you do eat when you eat it. At the end of a few days, you can go back and see where you can improve. Do you have any idea of the calories in peanut butter? And I love peanut butter! But that is something I treat myself with every once in a while. As for whipped cream, I buy the fat-free reddi whip. It's really good and I can put it on a dessert like the Jello Mousse that is only 60 calories and have a nice snack.

Allow yourself to have some of what you like but you have to learn to moderate yourself. This can come after a week or two back on your program if you want. For example, I absolutely love cake. So my snack at night is a Weight Watchers chocolate cake with icing for 1 point. It actually satisfies my craving for chocolate but it's a very small part of my overall point allowance for the day. :)

Gosh, all I'm talking about are sweets! :tongue_smilie:

I lost about 20 pounds and I'm on my way to gaining it back. I started out this morning saying today is the day, I'm gonna do it! Then I had a cup of green tea and about 15 minutes later had a little scoop of peanut butter with a dollop of whipped cream on top. :sneaky2: Seriously? I can't make it 15 minutes? I feel like an addict and my drug is killing me.

For lunch, I had turkey and BBQ sauce then some more of my peanut butter/whipped cream spoonful.

HOW can I stop this craziness and just eat properly? :crying: Just do it, right? Any advice welcome. :)

When you want to eat, drink water instead. Squeeze some fresh lemon or lime or orange juice into the water, it helps.:001_smile:

Also, the writing down everything you eat comments are very wise. My BIL did WW and his mantra was "If you bite it, write it." Writing it down really give you accountability, plus, if you think about having to write it down it may deter you from wanting the food because the calories go from potential to actual.

Edited by Elaine

What's working for me with cravings is mostly to drink water. Now, I like water anyway, but also a lot of the time when I just feel free floating hunger it's assuaged by drinking about a cup and a half of water. I drink it, wait 10 minutes, and then gauge whether I'm really hungry or not.

The other thing that I have been doing is cleaning salad greens or raw veggies and eating them at least once a day, again with lots of water. Fennel, celery, bell peppers, radiccio, and salad greens are pretty much equally effective. Apples are great this time of year, although they are not as healthy nor as low cal as the other suggestions.

Today for lunch I had 2 cut up apples and 1/2 ounce of really sharp cheddar cheese. My plan was to have some bread and olive oil with that, but when I finished I was no longer hungry. Probably in another couple of hours I'll have the bread, and then a very light dinner. I took another poster's advice and am eating smaller amounts more often. I'm taking WW's advice and asking myself, "How is your hunger?" I don't feel that I'm any expert here, and I'm not losing weight all that quickly, but I have never before successfully lost any at all so I'm feeling really good about this.

Exercise. A 20-30 minute brisk walk daily will increase your metabolism and decrease your appetite.

Eat a piece of low fat string cheese with a slice of ham around it. Drink a large glass of water with it.

Have some tomatoes, baby carrots, cucumber, red bell pepper handy to munch on. Dip in low fat Ranch sparingly. Again, drink a large glass of water with it.

Get rid of the peanut butter and whipped cream for now. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it.

ETA: The 100 calorie Hostess Cupcakes are great if you have a sweet tooth. With a cup of coffee or tea, they are delicious.

Try logging your food at SparkPeople.com.

If I log my food, I lose weight. If I don't then I don't lose or I start to gain. ;)

It REALLY helps to keep track of the things I eat and helps me plan things out.

I DO eat junk sometimes. I track it though and try to keep within a certain amount of daily/weekly calories.

If I know I want to eat a big slice of cake, I'll make sure to have a smaller breakfast, etc.

Also, I find it helps me a lot to make sure I get plenty of protein and go easy on the carbs. Having healthy things on hand helps too of course. When I buy lots of things I like that work with my calorie allotment, things go a lot better for me.

Sounds like you are craving fat and protein. What kind of diet are you on? Personally I believe a diet high in fat and protein and low in carbs is MUCH easier to live with.

I was just going to say, try switching diets.

A low carb diet simply means a low sugar diet. Don’t let the term and the myths that abound about low carb fool you. All carbs are sugars of various types. The body will break down carbs of all kinds into simple sugar for digestion. It really does not differentiate between sugar from carbs and table sugar. The body treats it and absorbs it the same way.

Also, meat has all the essential nutrients that you need all packed into one power house of a meal. Unlike carbs in the form of breads that more often then not have to be artificially supplemented with a few of the nutrients you need and is still not a complete balanced meal. Meats already has it all and its in its natural form.

So if you think of the food pyramid. What it is actually suggesting is that you eat less of the essential nutrients and protein that a body needs for survival, and more sugar. Shocking, but true.

And lets not forget that fat is not the villain that so many may believe it to be. It’s actually a very vital nutrient with tons of benefits, Including providing the building blocks for cell membranes and a variety of hormones and hormonelike substances. In addition, fat acts as a carrier for important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Without fat in your diet your body can’t absorb these vital nutrients it needs for optimal health. Dietary fats are needed for the conversion of carotene to vitamin A, for mineral absorption and for a host of other processes. The fats you want to stay away from are man altered fats such as trans fats, and those fats that have been subject to very high heat because those fats have had there long chain fatty acids damaged and the body does not know what to do with them besides pack them around your arteries and other various parts of your body.