Menu

Ideas for inexpensive gifts for ADULTS for holidays?

I would like to get my sis, bro, and father and maybe a few others something simple and thoughtful and inexpensive for xmas. Handmade is fine, but it needs to be doable (I am knitting a scarf for my sis in law and it's taken me longer than expected!)

Under $25 a person would be wonderful. Cheaper would be even better, as long as it's thoughtful. I made handmade ceramic coasters last year, and those were a hit and only cost about 2 dollars each!

Framed pictures of your family are always good. otherwise my go to gift is a book or two. For that price range you could easily get two on Amazon, and free shipping also. I like books because they are inexpensive, easy to personalize to particular interests, and easy to wrap :)

gift card to a movie theater

books or a magazine subscription (I like to give a book w/ a Starbucks gift card; Games Magazine is a fun subscription if you have puzzle-lovers)

jigsaw puzzle in a design the person would like

fleece blanket in a design they would like (sports team, etc...)

small bird feeder & bag of bird seed

donation to their favorite charity

I bought a couple of $20 gift certificates for a local car wash place last year for our family's dirty Santa gift exchange. They were the #1 fought over things. They LOVED them. I had no idea. I know I love having my car cleaned and cleaned for me but I didn't know they do quite so much as well. It seems like a weak gift to me but in hindsight I would love it. :)

Here are some things that I have really enjoyed getting:

• comfy throw blankets (These are probably the gifts we have used most often.)
  • $10 gift card to Starbucks
  • mini scented candles from Bath & Body works
  • gift card to the movies
  • warm and pretty socks
  • Godiva truffles
  • restaurant gift cards
  • homemade baked goods (chocolate chunk pecan pie bars, layered cookie bars, fudge, brownies, etc.)

Really, really nice socks. I know that sounds lame. But there are some really nice winter socks in the $15-$20 range. Smartwool, the polar fleece kind, etc. Some of the Smartwool ones are really beautiful. And they are so lovely to wear. It's the perfect present - the kind of thing you'd never in a million years buy for yourself (because of the price), but that you'll actually use and get a smile out of on a regular basis. And boy do they keep your feet warm! An outdoors-type store will have them.

Also, don't forget http://www.etsy.com - handmade stuff of all kinds. I've been very happy with my purchases there.

My parents and mil have all they need and can buy what they want. This year I decided I'm going to make a big batch of pumpkin soup and freeze portions for each (single servings for mil and double for my mom and dad). I think mil will appreciate it and my parents will probably respond with some sort of pity ("she can't afford anything"). But I think it's a good present. It's a great soup and they don't cook for themselves that much.

Board games. You know, the party kind?

Or, my favorite for the people that have everything: a donation in their name to a charity that matches their personality. for instance, for my sister, that is a teacher, I donated money to an organization that pays for uniforms and school books for children in Africa so they can afford to go to school. For my mom, that is cancer survivor, I donate to a cancer oganization. Etc. ETc.

We have done a video or game night basket many times and it goes over well. You can start with a game ( Banangrams,Toss the Pig, Monopoly Deal are inexpensive) or a gift certificate to a local video rental and then add in some popcorn and candy and beverage. Homemade carmel corn would be awesome or even just some homemade cookies.