Menu

What do I do with these stuffed animals?

We are in the process of de-cluttering dd's bedroom. She is sooooooo sentimental and holds on to way too much stuff. I can't tolerate it anymore, so am being a bit ruthless as to what can stay and what must go.

But the biggest question on my mind is what in the world to do with all of those stuffed animals! It seems like they've been reproducing over the past couple of years! Most of them seem to good to throw in the trash, although I can easily throw away the ones that are worn and would not appeal to anyone. But what about the ones that are still cute and seem perhaps usable to someone? I've been told that they can NOT be donated to Goodwill anymore due to lice issues, etc. Our church nursery prefers not to get any of them for the same reason. We don't have other kids in the family or neighborhood to pass them on to either.

Oh dear! Do we just toss them in the garbage and be done with them?

Blessings,

Lucinda

We have this issue too. I prefer the smaller stuffed animals (especially the beanie baby size), since they don't take up as much space and I think the kids play with them more than the large ones. I think some will get thrown out (if they're in a condition that no one would want), and some of the large-medium ones in good condition will go into the yard sale pile. I think I'd like to put some shelves up in the kids' room for most of the rest. I like the idea of a shelf up high, by the ceiling, but if we're keeping the small ones the kids play with, that doesn't really work. I think I'll just try to put some shelves up within reach, so the stuffed animals have a place where they belong, but can still be reached for play.

We have this issue too. I prefer the smaller stuffed animals (especially the beanie baby size), since they don't take up as much space and I think the kids play with them more than the large ones. I think some will get thrown out (if they're in a condition that no one would want), and some of the large-medium ones in good condition will go into the yard sale pile. I think I'd like to put some shelves up in the kids' room for most of the rest. I like the idea of a shelf up high, by the ceiling, but if we're keeping the small ones the kids play with, that doesn't really work. I think I'll just try to put some shelves up within reach, so the stuffed animals have a place where they belong, but can still be reached for play.

A shelf or little hammock is an idea, but I'm concerned about the dust that is attracted. I guess we could toss them in the dryer once in awhile...I've also read about a method that involves putting them in plastic bags and freezing them to get rid of mites and other "bugs" that might be hanging on. After they are out of the freezer you use dryer sheets and tumble them in the dryer on a no heat setting to shake everything out.

Otherwise, I still am not sure what to do.

Blessings,

Lucinda

A shelf or little hammock is an idea, but I'm concerned about the dust that is attracted.

In our house, there's going to be dust wherever we keep them, whether they're in a pile in the toy box (it no longer has a lid, but that's ok because we can pile them higher this way) or on a shelf. ETA: if they're on a shelf up high, where the kids can't reach, then dust can gather. But if they're on a lower shelf, they'll get played with and we won't need to worry about dust so much)

Edited by gardening momma

We recently did a stuffed animal purge. The hardest part was stuffed animals that I was sentimental about (e.g. gifts from beloved relatives, stuffed animals that I knew were expensive) but that the dd's didn't love.

Goodwill had no problem taking them; their toy section is mostly stuffed animals (for lots of our stuffed animals, this will be their second trip to Goodwill).

The thought of that huge pink horse of dd's with arrows plunged through the middle makes me want to cry too!! smiley-sad010.gif

But seriously, I am guilty of taking someone's word about the Goodwill not taking stuffed animals. I should have checked it out further. Now that I've read this, I have two big bags in the car already, headed to town to be left off in stuffed animal heaven (aka - the Goodwill).

Blessings,

Lucinda

I just recently received an email stating that the local packing/distribution hub for Operation Christmas Child would accept stuffed critters that were still in very nice condition. You may want to check the Samaritan's Purse website to see if there's a hub near you and whether or not you can still get them there in time this year.

My local community hosts a children's flea market, where children are the sellers. My dd sold her toys a few years in a row. She set her prices very low and kept the money. She usually sold more than any other table because she understood the goal of coming home with just money.

Maybe a neighbor is having a garage sale and would let your dd piggy back. Price each toy 25 cents.

If you do find a place that will take them that will be easier and better. But managing her own "sale" was a good experience for my dd.

When ds was in that stage, we found a net that could be hung in a corner of the room (think of hammock) and all the stuffies lived in there and were happy ever after and so was Mom. ;)

I think IKEA may offer something like it. If you are "crafty" you can perhaps sew something.

I used to work in an Oxfam (charity) shop in London, and although the branch had a policy of not re-selling stuffed toys, we took them and sent them to be ragged along with any article of clothing that was unsellable (ripped, moth-holed, buttons missing, etc.) I believe Oxfam received a sum of money per kg of clothes and toys that were sent for ragging, which all adds up for the charity. Just a thought.

If there's a Goodwill not taking them, I'm guessing it's bedbugs, not lice, that's the cause. I've been hearing about thrift stores trying to figure out how to minimize their risk for them. But that said, there are SO many thrift stores about here, and SO many bedbugs, and the stuffed animals are still there.

You awful horrible people throwing away, tossing, or shooting a stuffed animal. :tongue_smilie::svengo: I get terribly attached to stuffed animals. I still have at least two from my childhood (yes, I wash them regularly). One was from when I was five and had to be in the hospital.

We recently did a purge. Some went to Goodwill, some went into a big plastic bags, they all had names for goodness sake we couldn't just destroy them!! The big plastic bag is in a box and ds and I will hang onto them. He was very specific about which ones he would keep and which could be donated.

I'm really not a keeper of things but stuffed animals kind of hit me in the heart.

I know someone who put theirs in the washer and dryer, no problem. And putting them in the freezer, according to allergists, kills dust mites.

We pack away and get back out according to season and kind, since I'm not into breaking little girls' hearts. Even ds14 wants to keep a couple of precious loves.:)

Even ds14 wants to keep a couple of precious loves.:)

When we moved here a little over a year ago, the kids got to choose which of their belongings they wanted to take with them. I was surprised that my sons wanted to keep some of their stuffies. I think DD kept most of hers.

Still, I had plenty to throw away in big black garbage bags. I enjoyed doing that, meanie that I am.

Of course, we kept their well-worn lovies. No matter what, I would have insisted on that.

Visit a nursing home a few times and give them to ladies you have visited. I got rid of a bunch that way, and they were well received as presents from my daughter. It also gave her something to play with when we visited. (Although a few of the ladies became very protective of them and would not let my daughter play with them!)