Menu

Confession: I know nothing about the Nutcracker.

My son enjoyed the Mikhail B version from about 30 years ago. Because of it, "dance" was his first verb.

I know that a little snippet of it was introduced into a musical about Abelard and Heloise.:lol:

Can you go see it live? I have been a few times, and even the version I saw in Topeka Kansas (all amateurs) was fun. I did learn, at that show, why ballerinas are flat chested. The lead was a wonderful dancer, but who outgrew her youthful figure into a rather "built" athletic woman. All the stage would do up on point, and 2/10ths of a second later her b@@ks would catch up. It was actually distracting.

I've just gotten into this the last couple of years as dd7 has gotten into ballet. The Pacific Northwest Ballet has a version that shows up on Netflix's site as "streaming" (not being a customer, I'm not sure about all that entails) They also have a picture book version that our library owns that is absolutely stunning!

My sil gave dd a DVD copy of the San Francisco Ballet's Nutcracker, which is also good.

Just a couple of suggestions!

Mama Anna

Amazon has several versions-you could probably find the same at the library or other video rental.

I recommend one of these-

http://www.amazon.com/Nutcracker-Baryshnikov-Kirkland-Charmoli/dp/B0002S6428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290198655&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Nutcracker-featuring-Royal-Ballet/dp/B003Y7AR7C/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1290198655&sr=8-16

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Nutcracker-Arkhipova-Mukhamedov-Alexander/dp/B000B6N5VY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1290198655&sr=8-8

try and avoid the Macaulay Caulkin one-yuck!

Or go see a local production-the abound this time of year.

I've never seen nor read The Nutcracker. About all I know is that there are sugarplums. Is there a book version worth buying or a DVD version worth getting from Netflix?

:leaving:

I have never seen it. When I was a little girl, my dad had a record album (yes, the round, black, petroleum kind) of it (he had thousands of albums) and there was Clara and the nutcracker on the cover and I would listen to it for hours.

NEXT WEDNESDAY, the kids are I are going to the Kennedy Center to see The Joffrey Ballet dress rehearsal of the Nutcracker. A little girl in our co-op is one of the sugar plum fairies and her mom scored us $5. dress rehearsal tickets AND free parking.:hurray:

It will be my first time!:)

I love this edition of the book.

Maurice Sendak designed the sets and costumes for the Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker and they are gorgeous.

We have always enjoyed the fact that the illustrations in our book resemble everything we saw on stage.

I didn't realize that was Sendak! That is a stunning production. Absolutely amazing! Here on Netflix!

Edited by TXMomof4

Oh it is not creepy! Don't believe those haters. Well, I take that back--the Baryshnakov version is creepy. The dancers all look like they need a sandwich. And some sun. It's Twilight on pointe shoes.

But I digress: Pick up any story book to get familiar with the story, and then go see a professional production. I've probably seen it 20 times (my daughter was in the Atlanta Ballet's production for 3 years) and still enjoy it. My husband never went with me and my daughters until my daughter was in it, but he loved it and accused me of holding out on him all those years. He is so not an artsy type, so it has wide appeal.

Terri

My 10yo son's violin teacher has arranged for her students to perform before the opening, matinee performance of the Nutcracker. Last week, we were all hanging out in the family room when my son asked what the Nutcracker was. Before I could say a word, my dh told him that there was a long bannister-like pole with a giant ball at the end, that everyone would have to slide down. I could not believe it - saying something like that is completely out of character for my dh. My son literally fell on the floor laughing.

The worst part, is that now every time my boys see a "nutcracker" (you know the Christmas kind), they burst out laughing. Tis the season, which means I have many more weeks of this to endure :glare: .

Krista

Oh, my goodness, you guys crack me up! "Twilight on point shoes" - :smilielol5:

It's really not creepy. It's a lot of fun. We started taking our girls every year after they started taking ballet, and they love it. I am not sure what we're going to do now that we've moved away from a city that has it, actually. We're bummed about that.

We have the Maurice Sendak book and really like it. There are lots and lots of options for books and you can certainly find one at the library!

I have to say that my girls loved, loved, loved the Barbie and the Nutcracker movie. If you have little girls, they will probably like it. I was aghast that they liked it so much, but it did introduce them to the music. They like the real ballet better now (phew!).

Oh it is not creepy! Don't believe those haters. Well, I take that back--the Baryshnakov version is creepy. The dancers all look like they need a sandwich. And some sun. It's Twilight on pointe shoes.

But I digress: Pick up any story book to get familiar with the story, and then go see a professional production. I've probably seen it 20 times (my daughter was in the Atlanta Ballet's production for 3 years) and still enjoy it. My husband never went with me and my daughters until my daughter was in it, but he loved it and accused me of holding out on him all those years. He is so not an artsy type, so it has wide appeal.

Terri

There is nothing creepy about watching Baryshnikov in tights! Nothing at all!

We alternate the readings... Hoffmann one year and Dumas the next.

As for the ballet, we've got a few DVD versions, none of which I love. This will be our second year seeing Balanchine's Nutcracker live; I am not fond of it, but the kids enjoy its child-oriented elements.

Can you get something from the library? Then it's free and if you don't like it, you're not out any $$.

OH, I just noticed that you have Netflix. That's sort of free, too, since you're already paying for it each month.

We got it from the library last year. Personally I was disappointed. The music and the dancing didn't match. Like, when there was a crescendo you would think the ballerina would do a big jump, but no...she just sort of ran around. And it was a real production of it with professionals, so I'm assuming it was the same choreography that they all use? Yes, no?

The Baryshnikov version is the classic, but we like San Francisco Ballet's take; it's a bit more avante garde. I'm not sure if it's available on Netflix though. The Pacific Northwest's version is good as well and is narrated, but more movie-like, less live ballet-like.

I've seen Nutcracker live about sixty times as my kids perform in it every year. My daughter is the Sugarplum this year. It's really quite magical, and I agree you must see it live at some point to truly appreciate it. :)

Edited by Mejane

I've gone nearly every single Christmas season since I was a kid. I even went once to see it on Christmas Eve Eve when I was living in China - I traveled to Hong Kong for it!

The version the Washington Ballet does (which I've seen for the last few years with my kids) centers the story here in DC and the gifts and entertainment at the party are all mid-19th c. American and the presentations for Clara later are all various references to Americana and local stuff - there's a Chinese circus, a Native American dance, a cherry blossom dance, etc. The Nutcracker himself is made up like George Washington and the Rat King is made up like George III. Also, the kids at the Christmas party all get presents so they can play Cowboys and Indians. It's really different and cool.

And it was a real production of it with professionals, so I'm assuming it was the same choreography that they all use? Yes, no?

Each company choreographs its own stage version. Our pre-professional school version is much better than many of the professional company versions I've seen.