Menu

Where do you buy books? Want to order Xmas gifts and don't like Amazon anymore

I would like to order a whole bunch of kids' books for all the cousins and nieces and nephews. I cannot stomach ordering from Amazon anymore--I have been frustrated by some of their Marketplace policies, and their defense of the pedophile book was the last straw. I was absolutely sickened, and no longer want to do business with them.

Can you suggest a website with reasonable pricing and good shipping policies?

Ok ok ok, it's not online, but my fantastic local indie bookstore has some good deals throughout the year, and especially in Nov/Dec.

99% of the time...if I want a particular book, I buy it through them. All bestsellers and many new books are 10-20% off, and they have a 'basement' with new and used books. The prices might not be the cheapest on Amazon, but they are pretty good. They will also order anything and not charge a dime for shipping. (Ok, I do buy Harry Potter & Ion Colfer etc via Amazon UK as I only want the UK versions).

I really really never never ever ever want my local folks to close shop, so I try to be a customer for their bargains. They know they are dealing with Amazon etc., so they do try to offer bargains.

Not sure you have local booksellers with deals, so ignore me if you do not. :D

Edited by LibraryLover

I ordered a lot of books recently, from a whole bunch of places. The only incorrect book I received, out of dozens of books, was from this site. I tried sending an email to get things straightened out. The company couldn't do anything because the particular seller of my book was a separate party selling on their site. I didn't want the trouble of going to the post office to mail back a book that was less than $10 to begin with. I even said that I wasn't interested in returning the book, and that I was willing to pay the full price a second time to receive the book I was looking for. They seemed like they wanted to be helpful, but they weren't offering very helpful suggestions. Paypaling me the money to ship a book back to the seller would have been fine if it were possible for me to make it to the post office with three very young children in tow. After all, I order online because it's too hard to shop in stores!

I really wanted to like this place, but I ended up thoroughly frustrated after that exchange. They also don't have a great setup for viewing your previous orders, and no tracking information is included for shipping. I'll probably order through them again at some point. I'll just make a point of only ordering things that they are selling themselves (no third party sellers!) and I won't order anything I'm desperate to receive.

Also, with B&N I think if you are a member you get free shipping.

I prefer Borders though. I think their prices are comparable to B&N but, if you have the Borders' 25% teacher's discount, it's better than B&N's 20%. Also,I am always getting 33-40% off coupons from Borders.

I was in the same boat last week. I automatically went to amazon, but something made me compare prices on bn.com. It was cheaper on bn.com! After going into the store (and being horrified at their HIGH prices) I did find out I could get an Educator's card. So I got a 20% discount on Kumon workbooks, and then online I got about 10% off some of my order. THey choose what is eligible for discount or not. You also get free shipping with the Educator's card :)

Ok ok ok, it's not online, but my fantastic local indie bookstore has some good deals throughout the year, and especially in Nov/Dec.

99% of the time...if I want a particular book, I buy it through them. All bestsellers and many new books are 10-20% off, and they have a 'basement' with new and used books. The prices might not be the cheapest on Amazon, but they are pretty good. They will also order anything and not charge a dime for shipping. (Ok, I do buy Harry Potter & Ion Colfer etc via Amazon UK as I only want the UK versions).

I really really never never ever ever want my local folks to close shop, so I try to be a customer for their bargains. They know they are dealing with Amazon etc., so they do try to offer bargains.

Not sure you have local booksellers with deals, so ignore me if you do not. :D

We had a small, local bookstore that I loved --- they specialized in children's books. I got to know the employees really well, and they would order for me with either a teacher discount, or a frequent-buyer discount, whichever got me the best deal. Special orders came in 2 or 3 days at most. Unfortunately, they closed about 8 years ago, as they couldn't compete with Amazon and B&N. I'm glad you are helping to keep them your local store in business!:001_smile:

Does B&N have something similar to the "free" 2-day shipping program of Amazon? While I no longer want to deal with Amazon, I do like their free 2-day shipping, or $3.99 overnight shipping. ("Free" if you pay the annual $79 fee, but it took little time for our bibliophile family to make that up! :) )

Edited by K in MI

Want an independant bookstore, not a chain?

Then consider Powell's, in Portland. Powell's is huge--it's bigger than most libaries. They carry both new and used books.

:iagree:

I order from Powell's all the time. If your order is more than $50, you get free shipping.

All of the used books I've bought from them have been in very good condition.

Books-a-million has a pretty good bargain section. We like to go to our local store, but MIL has bought from them online without any problems at all. They have free shipping on orders over $25.

Bookcloseouts is another good place to get books. Right now (Nov 2nd through Dec 31st) you can get free shipping on orders of $35 or more.

The bargain books we got from both of these places were the kind that-are-marked-on-the-edges-of-the-page-with-a-marker. I should know the term, but I just can't remember what that word is. :001_smile: They are still new books, but I thought I'd mention it in case you didn't like buying books that have been marked.

If you have a Books-a-million anywhere nearby, their clearance books are great! We have found a lot of books there that aren't listed online, and bought them for a lot less than we could pay anywhere else (some were just $1 as compared to $3.99 on Amazon).

I would like to order a whole bunch of kids' books for all the cousins and nieces and nephews. I cannot stomach ordering from Amazon anymore--I have been frustrated by some of their Marketplace policies, and their defense of the pedophile book was the last straw. I was absolutely sickened, and no longer want to do business with them.

Can you suggest a website with reasonable pricing and good shipping policies?

The Book Depository www.thebookdepository.com