Menu

Did I do the right thing?

We have adopted 3 of our grandchildren. In fact, we have, in one way or another, had them living with us for their entire lives. We are all Christians. My oldest son (grandson) is 16 and he started liking a girl who is only 13. He had her come over to our house last Saturday and several times they were kissing. He has only been around her in different settings 2 or 3 times.

I told him she was too young for her. His sister is 13 too. I told him he had to find an older girlfriend; She was his first girlfriend and crush. I am 59 and maybe I see things the old fashion way. Did I make the right decision?

We have adopted 3 of our grandchildren. In fact, we have, in one way or another, had them living with us for their entire lives. We are all Christians. My oldest son (grandson) is 16 and he started liking a girl who is only 13. He had her come over to our house last Saturday and several times they were kissing. He has only been around her in different settings 2 or 3 times.

I told him she was too young for her. His sister is 13 too. I told him he had to find an older girlfriend; She was his first girlfriend and crush. I am 59 and maybe I see things the old fashion way. Did I make the right decision?

Yes. At 21 and 24 those 3 year won't matter; at 13 and 16, there is a lot of developmental difference.The problem is that simply telling him may not help.

Also, check with your 16 year old, the laws of your state. State law varies widely, but they could have certain types of sexual interactions (even short of intercourse) that could land him in jail, even if she initiated them.

I would call the girl's parents and tell them about the relationship as well, so they can be aware of what is going on.

Cory actually turns 16 on Dec 2, but that is close enough for me. I warned him of the legal consequences and also told him how he should treat any girl he is around. My wife and I went with each other for 4 years before we were married, After dating for more than 2 years we finally held hands.

I told him that movies, tv and music completely distort how a guy is to treat a yound lady.

As far as her parents, her mother dropped her off here and her father picked her up. I understand her father was thrilled with Cory because of his lack of tattos and his not having a gothic look.

He is mad, but so what. I told him I am trying to protect him and his future.

He is mad, but so what. I told him I am trying to protect him and his future.

Maybe he's showing you "mad", but he's probably sad. And mad.

In his mind, he was falling in love with her, and now you won't let them be together. Yes, he'll be mad and sad.

I would be gently firm with him, understanding that he probably feels pretty rotten right now.

As the mother of a girl who will be 13 in just two short years (gulp!), I know I would not wanting her kissing a 16 year old boy. Three years apart at those ages is worlds apart. You did the right thing, and you might consider finding a tactful way to make sure her parents are aware of the situation. I would want to know if it were me.

Her parents sound like they may be of the mindset that she is going to date someone anyway and they are glad she choose such a nice boy. If they are pushing this, you may need to make your rules clear to them. Or say something to scare them away from him, if they don't listen. Not something false, but to the effect that even nice boys have hormones.

Yes, I think you did the right thing, and I commend you for it. So many parents of boys never bother to monitor their kids' behavior with girls, and I think it's great that you're trying to teach your son to be respectful and conservative.

I also agree that the girl is too young for him, even without possible legal ramifications.

Your son is probably heartbroken right now, though, so hopefully you and he can do some fun "guy stuff" to help distract him so he can get his mind back in the right place.

Cat