Menu

The Door in the Wall

OMG, we FINALLY finished this book! I didn't think I was going to make it. It's a great book, with a good story and Indy loved it, but reading it out loud was often like saying a tongue twister over and over. All the "thou'll" and "thou'lt" and "thou'rt" and all the other old words nearly sent me over the edge. It took us 2 weeks to get through it because it was tiring for me!

If I were just reading it silently to myself, I could have zipped through it, but out loud it was just exhausting.

Anyone else have problems when reading certain books out loud?

Johnny Tremain and Ginger Pye were so boring to us as read alouds that we just stopped. Also Hans Brinker--tho we got thru most of that one. The "tour of Holland" parts were difficult and not really necessary for the gist of the story.

I think audio books are great, but then I miss the story! I don't like to be read to. :001_smile:

I changed all the thee's and thou's to you's. :)

My kids loved that book, too. I didn't fund it as entertaining as Adam of the Road, which I plan to have them read to themselves when they are older.

Tara

Slogging through Ginger Pye now - those are some long chapters and my throat is sore halfway through! I enjoy reading books written in old-fashioned language but not reading them aloud, it is so much more difficult! We are so far behind our Sonlight schedule - luckily I"m not stressing on it, moving forward with some parts and just trying to catch up on the reading as we can. At least Ginger Pye is entertaining to the kids (for the most part - they love reading about the dog) so I haven't given up on it completely.

My 11 year old read Door in the Wall earlier this year and I think had a hard time cutting through the language to understand the story, we would have done better with audio. I will keep that in mind for the future!

Yeah.....confession time.

We do almost all of our chapter books via audio book. We listen in the van and *I* enjoy them, along with the kids. Our favorites are the ones with British accents. :tongue_smilie:

I am actually reading Fantastic Mr. Fox and Geronimo Stilton, right now.....but they are very short. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe???? audio book.

I do enjoy reading picture books and my kids still enjoy listening to those. In a couple of years......I guess I'll have to buckle down, if I still want my reading-time snuggles.

Oh, no, this scares me now... I just bought those books for read-aloud, but English is my second language... poor...me...:001_huh:

You'll do fine.

We loved the 'old' language in TDITW. It added to the authenticity of the story.

We read the King James Bible often and listen to hymns which use 'thees' and 'thous'. I love it. :)

We recently listened to The Railway Children and A Series of Unfortunate Events, both read by people with English accents (Tim Curry did the latter...love him!) Anyway...now, my dds want me to read all of our literature books in an English accent (which I learned to do when I was doing drama). I felt silly doing it at first but now I'm used to it and I actually can read better using the accent because I read more slowly and have to enunciate more. Something about an English accent makes those 'thees' and 'thous' easier to read. :D

Oh my...we loved The Door in the Wall and Otto of the Silver Hand. SOOO much. I read them out loud to my son. He enjoyed one of them so much, he snuck and finished the story on his own one day, LOL. I need to go back and finish that last bit for myself.

Now Robin Hood is challenging for me with the quaffed words. I delegated that one to dh, LOL. :)

Door in the Wall was one of my favorite books when I was about 10, I must have checked it out from the library at school every other week. I've never attempted to read it out loud.

I had to stop reading From the files of Mrs. Frank what's her name, because my kids and I just didn't find it interesting enough to keep going.

Slogging through Ginger Pye now - those are some long chapters and my throat is sore halfway through! I enjoy reading books written in old-fashioned language but not reading them aloud, it is so much more difficult! We are so far behind our Sonlight schedule - luckily I"m not stressing on it, moving forward with some parts and just trying to catch up on the reading as we can. At least Ginger Pye is entertaining to the kids (for the most part - they love reading about the dog) so I haven't given up on it completely.

My 11 year old read Door in the Wall earlier this year and I think had a hard time cutting through the language to understand the story, we would have done better with audio. I will keep that in mind for the future!

WWE 2 got my ds 8 interested in Ginger Pye and I am glad he is reading it as a reader even though it is a read aloud in SL 2. I am just reserving the CDs from my library when it is time for the read aloud so that my younger ds can listen to it.

Right now we are listening to Anne of Green Gables because we are going to see the show in a theatre this Thursday. I don't think I can read as well as the CDs. The CDS are really good and the boys ask to listen to it every day.

J

J

We recently listened to The Railway Children and A Series of Unfortunate Events, both read by people with English accents (Tim Curry did the latter...love him!) Anyway...now, my dds want me to read all of our literature books in an English accent (which I learned to do when I was doing drama). I felt silly doing it at first but now I'm used to it and I actually can read better using the accent because I read more slowly and have to enunciate more. Something about an English accent makes those 'thees' and 'thous' easier to read. :D

I learned to speak English with London accent and I can still do it. We all loved listening to The Wheel on the School and Mary Pope Osborne's the Adventures of Odysseus. Check those out and you will be really pleased. I have been looking for CDs (for children) done by those two narrators with no luck.

I learned to speak English with London accent and I can still do it. We all loved listening to The Wheel on the School and Mary Pope Osborne's the Adventures of Odysseus. Check those out and you will be really pleased. I have been looking for CDs (for children) done by those two narrators with no luck.

Thanks! I'll check those out. :001_smile:

Oh my goodness.. It was clearly written in and about a time when no one had anywhere to rush off too. It is a fireside story if there ever was one. It takes them FOREVER to do anything. Here's a sample:

Now, after that wonderful happening , they journeyed continuously for a great while. Nor did they pause at any place until they came, about an hour after the prime of the day , to a certain part of the forest where charcoal-burners were plying thier trade, Here Sir Pellias commanded that they should draw rein and rest for a while, and so they dismounted for to rest and to refresh thmeselves, as he had ordained that they should do.

( Does anyone else hear strains of Monty Python and the Holy Grail ?)

happy reading.

~christine in al

We're at the beginning of this homeschooling journey, so we aren't reading as much as some of you, but we (read: *I*) am having a horrendous time getting through The House at Pooh Corner. We've been at it for at least 3-4 weeks. The kids don't dislike it, so I'm trying to stay positive, for their sake. But sometimes I'll read a paragraph from one of those confused characters and I'm like - what in the world did I just read? My 3 & 5 year old keep asking for Pooh, though. We're almost finished. Should finish this week....

Does anyone else have any suggestions for related books that we can enjoy together? We follow Ambleside Online, so that's how we came across them. We love to read books from that time period together.

We're at the beginning of this homeschooling journey, so we aren't reading as much as some of you, but we (read: *I*) am having a horrendous time getting through The House at Pooh Corner. We've been at it for at least 3-4 weeks. The kids don't dislike it, so I'm trying to stay positive, for their sake. But sometimes I'll read a paragraph from one of those confused characters and I'm like - what in the world did I just read? My 3 & 5 year old keep asking for Pooh, though. We're almost finished. Should finish this week....

Absolutely agreed. I don't like reading that series to my children, so I stopped. It's confusing and muddled.

We use KJV and I'm comfortable with antiquated language, but for some reason my compilation of all the Homer Price stories is maddening to read aloud at night before bed. Maybe it's because I'm tired and unfocused by then. It befuddles me, as I haven't had this problem with other books. It's just hard to keep all the voices I do for each character straight in this one. It doesn't always have commas placed in the regular spots and things like that, so that after you read a sentence and it sounded weird, you look back on it and go "oh, I see how that was supposed to sound now." The dialogue jumps around from person to person and frequently doesn't indicate that it changed persons until the end of 3 or 4 lines of text. Nothing like saying "Whoops, pretend Freddy said that, not the barber" to the kids. :P

Yes! I didn't like reading Five Children and It out loud. The text had an odd rhythm. We are enjoying it much better on audio! Now, one book I did enjoy reading aloud was Wind in the Willows - it's almost musical. Lots of wonderful language to stop and discuss, unlike Five Children and It.

Any Nesbit is torture for me to read aloud.

My library does not have most of this books on audio. :(

OMG, we FINALLY finished this book! I didn't think I was going to make it. It's a great book, with a good story and Indy loved it, but reading it out loud was often like saying a tongue twister over and over. All the "thou'll" and "thou'lt" and "thou'rt" and all the other old words nearly sent me over the edge. It took us 2 weeks to get through it because it was tiring for me!

If I were just reading it silently to myself, I could have zipped through it, but out loud it was just exhausting.

What gets me is switching from book to book. The last transition for our family time read aloud was finishing Hank the Cowdog #10 (set in TX) and starting Nick of Time (set in England). I can usually find the flow of the author after two or three chapters.