Menu

Hard to be sympathetic when your kid hurts himself doing something stupid...

1. ds5 was squeezing several balloons with his face when one popped and hurt his eye. Me: Sorry you hurt yourself but I HAVE TOLD YOU HOW MANY TIMES TO STOP DOING THAT! KNOCK IT OFF!

2. ds5 ramming his older brother with his head and hurt his nose. Me: Sorry you hurt your nose but STOP HITTING PEOPLE WITH YOUR FACE AND IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

1. ds5 was squeezing several balloons with his face when one popped and hurt his eye. Me: Sorry you hurt yourself but I HAVE TOLD YOU HOW MANY TIMES TO STOP DOING THAT! KNOCK IT OFF!

2. ds5 ramming his older brother with his head and hurt his nose. Me: Sorry you hurt your nose but STOP HITTING PEOPLE WITH YOUR FACE AND IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN!

My response of choice: "I'm sorry you hurt yourself. Did you learn anything?"

DD usually manages to hurt herself while flailing around--either in excitement or tantrum. I have zero sympathy when it's in tantrum. I've actually told her "no kisses for self-inflicted injuries."

Now, when I flail around and she gets hurt (like this morning when my fingernail caught her face right below her eye as I reached above her to turn on the bathroom fan--I have no depth perception!), I am VERY sympathetic.

Likewise I don't generally mind when DD laughs at my self-inflicted injuries (tripping over the carpet yesterday, for example, or hitting my head on a cabinet I left open).:tongue_smilie:

I always have to stop myself from laughing. When I've just said don't and it was really obvious why anyway... well, it's sort of funny (assuming it's a minor hurt, of course - things that require trips to the ER are never funny for at least two months). I try to hold in the giggles, sympathize with the pain and point out that it can be a learning experience. I do try...

I usually say something like....

Gee it seems like someone was just talking about how you shouldn't do that, because you could get hurt. Oh, that's right! It was me :D Next time, maybe you should listen ;)

Then they get the hugs and fanfare, because I'm a big marshmallow and the older my oldest gets the more I cling onto the babiness in all of them.

It's also really hard to be sympathetic when DD6 hurts herself when pitching a fit. Umm....sorry sweetie....that's what happens when you are acting like a two year old. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Hey, that sounds familiar... Oh yeah, my DD6 was throwing a fit and threw herself back and scraped her back on the door.

It is hard not to snicker, or at least smirk at them when they do something like that.

My other DD would scream and cry for an HOUR over minor things, and then complain that her throat hurt.

My kids had to have SURGERY last week because they stuck BERRIES in their EARS. They are 8 and 5. :glare: I told them if they did it again the berries could live in there till they would let the ENT suck them out like he tried to do before they threw gigantic fits. (More :glare:) Maybe if they grew plants out of their ears, they'd learn...

After church on Sunday, ds8 showed up with a cut on his eyelid. I asked how that happened. He was tossing his bible in the air and it hit him in the eye.

I told him he should have known better, because, after all, the Word of God is sharper than a two-edged sword...

My kids had to have SURGERY last week because they stuck BERRIES in their EARS. They are 8 and 5. :glare: I told them if they did it again the berries could live in there till they would let the ENT suck them out like he tried to do before they threw gigantic fits. (More :glare:) Maybe if they grew plants out of their ears, they'd learn...

:lol::lol: My Dh stuck corn up his nose when he was little. Twice. The second time it sprouted.