Menu

Does anyone else with the word "like" would be banned?

Like, ummm, no. I just like, love it, love it especially when talking to local teens.

DH and I were trying to watch the local news together. I had to leave.

They were interviewing teen after teen, none of whom could express themselves without using the word "like" multiple times.

Guess my nerves are spent. - Does anyone else wish the word "like" would be banned?

DH and I were trying to watch the local news together. I had to leave.

They were interviewing teen after teen, none of whom could express themselves without using the word "like" multiple times.

Guess my nerves are spent. - Does anyone else wish the word "like" would be banned?

:lol: A lot of people tend to talk the way those around them talk. It's easy to pick up speaking patterns from others. Some of the slang I used in my high school years would either amuse or irritate my Dad.

Maybe if they see themselves on TV they will be able to hear how they sound. We can only hope. :001_huh::lol:

Timely thread, as I spent the last two days "buzzing" my children every time they used the word inappropriately. There was a LOT of buzzing.

I couldn't believe how often they said it!

Then they started buzzing ME. Apparently "I was like . . . <insert emotion or a thought process>" is very much ingrained in my verbal usage.

Ick. I sound like a teenager.

Any tips on how to curb this awful habit in myself and the littler ones in my house?

You could replace it with the old-fashioned, emphatic UMMMM..... :D

My brother is a high school science teacher. He likes to ride the kids about the misuse of the word "like." "What is the animal on the screen?" "It's like a frog." "No, you are wrong. Anyone else?" "No Mr. Z, it's like a frog!" "No, it is not LIKE a frog. It IS a frog. LIKE a frog would be some other amphibian. That IS a frog."