Menu

Am I the only one who gets so bothered by the "bad language" on kid's t.v.?

Lighten up already!

It's called playing with language, and it's what Shakespeare and a lot of other famous writers did.

They're not saying serious mysterious in order to undermine the correct use of adverbs vs adjectives, they're saying it because it rhymes and rhyming is fun. Absoposolutely is a hamburger style portmanteau word and I think it's quite clever (and has the added attraction of not being rude like the other version that springs to mind).

What about yesaroonie positoonie from Pinky Dinky Doo. I wouldn't worry too much. DD3 said this for a while last year and then quit.

What I really do have a problem with is all the name calling in children's shows. I try to limit my kids shows to a lot of PBS where there's not really any name calling.

Not really. My family plays with language a lot. I suppose if tv were a significant part of my children's linguistic influence, it might distress me, but like your son, my kids generally recognize the difference between "correct" English and playful English.

I don't even mind phrases like "my bad", if the speaker knows why it's slang and not standard English. And if they can also say, "I'm sorry, my mistake" and "mea culpa" and "ou gar aitios eimi"... ;)

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me nearly as much as the way the characters talk to each other on some of those kids' shows. They are rude and snotty and call each other insulting names. That drives me bonkers.

me too and my kids love My Friend Rabbit (Qubo) but I don't like it when my 4yo says, "Oh, cabbage!" - all it is is a replacement curse, using cabbage b/c he is a rabbit :glare:

That kind of stuff doesn't bother me nearly as much as the way the characters talk to each other on some of those kids' shows. They are rude and snotty and call each other insulting names. That drives me bonkers.

:iagree:

We're all for wordplay in our house and come up with some doozies ourselves :) We love doing it. But I do get frustrated with everyday language that is incorrect and is continually modeled incorrectly on tv in everyday language. The adverbs are a big one here, too.

I don't know if my kids get it off TV or somewhere else, but ginormous and hunormous have been bothering me lately. I usually correct them: "Dear, ginormous is not a word. What two words is ginormous made from?" Them: "Um, I dunno" Me: "Giant and enormous, please use a proper word to describe your pancake."

They hate that discussion, so I'm hoping to avoid my kids contributing to the addition of new words to the dictionary. I will have a heart attack if I ever see one of those two in there. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know if my kids get it off TV or somewhere else, but ginormous and hunormous have been bothering me lately. I usually correct them: "Dear, ginormous is not a word. What two words is ginormous made from?" Them: "Um, I dunno" Me: "Giant and enormous, please use a proper word to describe your pancake."

They hate that discussion, so I'm hoping to avoid my kids contributing to the addition of new words to the dictionary. I will have a heart attack if I ever see one of those two in there. :tongue_smilie:

Ginormous made the dictionary in 2007 - my ds was thrilled:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/2007-07-10-dictionary-new-words_N.htm

Does not bother me in the least.

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

This too:

www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-muppet-show-jabberwocky/192a7b4a9fb156803f25192a7b4a9fb156803f25-200609367139?q=Jabberwocky&FORM=VIRE1

Edited by LibraryLover

And this fom No Sweat Shakespeare.:

In all of his work - the plays, the sonnets and the narrative poems - Shakespeare uses 17,677 words: Of those, 1,700 were first used by Shakespeare.

This list of words that we use in our daily speech were all brought into usage by Shakespeare:

accommodation

aerial

amazement

apostrophe

assassination

auspicious

baseless

bloody

bump

castigate

changeful

clangor

control (noun)

countless

courtship

critic

critical

dexterously

dishearten

dislocate

dwindle

eventful

exposure

fitful

frugal

generous

gloomy

gnarled

hurry

impartial

inauspicious

indistinguishable

invulnerable

lapse

laughable

lonely

majestic

misplaced

monumental

multitudinous

obscene

palmy

perusal

pious

premeditated

radiance

reliance

road

sanctimonious

seamy

sportive

submerge

Ginormous is a classic Portmanteau; two meanings packed into one word. (Well, portmanteau is actually a French word for a certain kind of suitcase that has two compartments...get it? :) )

English is costantly changing; without making up new words, or stealing, aka borrowing, words from other languages ;) , there would be no English language.

I think it's pretty interesting.

Edited by LibraryLover

And this fom No Sweat Shakespeare.:

In all of his work - the plays, the sonnets and the narrative poems - Shakespeare uses 17,677 words: Of those, 1,700 were first used by Shakespeare.

This list of words that we use in our daily speech were all brought into usage by Shakespeare:

accommodation

aerial

amazement

apostrophe

assassination

auspicious

baseless

bloody

bump

castigate

changeful

clangor

control (noun)

countless

courtship

critic

critical

dexterously

dishearten

dislocate

dwindle

eventful

exposure

fitful

frugal

generous

gloomy

gnarled

hurry

impartial

inauspicious

indistinguishable

invulnerable

lapse

laughable

lonely

majestic

misplaced

monumental

multitudinous

obscene

palmy

perusal

pious

premeditated

radiance

reliance

road

sanctimonious

seamy

sportive

submerge

The title "No Sweat Shakespeare" offends me. We don't say sweat in my family.

just kidding

:tongue_smilie::lol::D

:lol: That will teach me to post and then go to bed! (It was a light-hearted post like noting that when John Tesh was the Olympics commentator years ago he kept saying "histrionics" instead of "history" - now that bothered me too!)

For the record, it is more of a "fingernails on a chalkboard" kind of a being bothered. I'm not offended. And we still watch the shows. And I've been known to use these words because they are like fingernails on a chalkboard for ds too and I like to make him squirm!

And yes, we love word play.

Ginormous is a classic Portmanteau; two meanings packed into one word. (Well, portmanteau is actually a French word for a certain kind of suitcase that has two compartments...get it? :) )

English is costantly changing; without making up new words, or stealing, aka borrowing, words from other languages ;) , there would be no English language.

I think it's pretty interesting.

I like the word ginormous and use it often. :tongue_smilie: We play with words a lot around here. :) (but hardly watch tv ;) )

Ginormous is a perfectly legit word. But hunormous is just plain wrong: the correct form is, or course, humungous, or humungadungous for extra emphasis:001_smile:

Some of the comments in this thread is just more rienforcement of why my family watch any T.V.

I have DvDs of cartoons which I first screen to check the content. ( I was really disgusted with spongbob.)

I try to stick with classics. 1958 version of Sleeping Beauty is my girls favorite. Popeye with Robin Williams is another favorite.

My wife and I also allow them to watch films from china. Most chinese moves have differing degree's of violence but have no sexual content. Also most of the movies are culturally rich in there storytelling.

Our current favorite is True Legend about Su Can aka Begger Su who developed the Drunken Master style of Kung Fu.

We watch these movies in thier Chinese language with Subtitles. This forces them to read and gives them a ear for the sounds of the chinese language. (Sometimes when they are playing I swear I hear them talking chinese)

I know a lot of parents today are anti violence but I believe that there is a lesson for us in the story of Jesus turning over the tables in the temple.

Its said "you are what you eat" the same is true for what you feed your mind.

Also here is something else that I picked up, I have been told that the structure of commercials - meaning 6 mins of programing 4 commericals 6 mins of programing 4 commericals actually trains your Grammar stage child to only concentrate in short bursts, destroying a childs attention span. (Sound familiar - I wonder what a timeline of ADHD growth next to increase in cartoon watching for kids looks like side by side)

There were those who told me it was cruel at first, but the proof was in the pudding. My sisters kids who are glued to thier 65 inch are hellions. They have and treat her and her husband with 0 respect. On the opposite side are my 3 kids (our sons are 10 days difference in age) who are calm and patient. You can put them in a back yard with nothing but the grass and a tree and they will create a world of there own to play in. On the other coin my sisters children need constant attention and have no focus accept to be continuously entertained.

Let me say this, my sister is a good mother she is loving and patient with her kids and this goes to the point I brought out earlier ..... how can we as parents compete with the T.V. The Truth is we can't. We as adults can't compete with the constant bombardment to our own minds, much less the minds of our growing children.

My dad taught me spoonerisms and sometimes I can't stop speaking them. It is like a different language. My family quite often can't keep up with me if I'm really into spoonerizing. Don't know why I do it...

I am not familiar with the shows you're talking about, except Sesame Street which took a turn for the worser worse (:lol:) quite a few years ago.

Ginormous has been bothering me too, but it is funny.