Menu

Car seat expiration?

Do you think this infant seat, possibly manufactured in 2006 would be safe for use?  

1. 1. Do you think this infant seat, possibly manufactured in 2006 would be safe for use?

• Yes, I would use this seat with my own child without worry
    • No, I think it is too old and would follow the suggested 5 year replacement
    • Other

Dh and I were going to lend our infant car seat out to friends who will be having a baby in the new year. We bought it brand new (Peg Perego) at the end of 2007 but I remember knowing at the time that it had been manufactured a while prior to that (quite possibly a 2006 model but I don't know for sure, it could well have been early 2007). The manufacture date is on the base of the car seat but due to a mix-up at the store when we purchased we got a newer base than the car seat (it is for the new SIP model, and ours is not the SIP model) and since this base says manufacture July 2007, I know that the date for the car seat we have is older than that.- I just don't know how much older. Ugh.

A quick call to the local store confirmed that Peg Perego says their car seats should be used for only 5 years :glare: which, *could* possibly be sometime in 2011. Now, I'm all for car seat safety, especially for new babies, but 5 years seems a bit ridiculous to me. That said, I do not wish to put our friends' baby in any danger.

So, seeing as this car seat was only used for one child (for maybe 5 months and never in any accidents) and the rest of the time was stored at room temperature -would you think it is unsafe to use through to the end of 2011?

Would you use this car seat for your own child?

Edited by plain jane

I am using the car seat that my SIL had for her now 6 yo daughter. It also was used for a second cousin, so it has been through 2 kids.

Design safety standards have probably changed but I am not worried about it. I think it is a way for the manufacturers to CYA. Too many lawyers, too many frivolous lawsuits, and the ability to sell more car seats.

No offense to lawyers on this board, I am friends with some very nice folks that are lawyers.

Peg Perego states a 5 yr life span, so therefore *no* do NOT use a seat after is stated life span.

Plastic breaks down over time, you wouldn't trust an expired condom to keep you safe, right? Why would you trust an expired car seat to keep your child safe?

The above isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a statement that is often used when talking about life spans on car seats.

Peg Perego states a 5 yr life span, so therefore *no* do NOT use a seat after is stated life span.

Plastic breaks down over time, you wouldn't trust an expired condom to keep you safe, right? Why would you trust an expired car seat to keep your child safe?

The above isn't directed at anyone in particular, just a statement that is often used when talking about life spans on car seats.

I get what you're saying. My question stems from most other car seats lasting 7 years - is Peg Perego made from cheaper materials, because they certainly don't cost less? :confused: Also, I'm not entirely sure when mine was made. The oldest it would be is sometime 2006 putting the car seat just at 5 years.

I guess it's a fine line and I should just toss it but it seems like such a waste. It was not an inexpensive seat. :glare:

ETA: Duh! I should just call the company and say what they say. I've spoken to my friends and they're not too concerned about the dates. My dh thinks most of these car seat guidelines are big money making business so I feel like I'm on my own in this decision. I'd hate to lend out a faulty car seat but I'd also hate to throw out a perfectly good one and miss an opportunity to help a family that could use it.

Edited by plain jane

Graco expires in the December of the 6th year.

Until recently Britax had a 6yr life span as well, they now have a 7yr life span.

The First Years True Fit has a 7yr life span.

The Britax Frontier85 has a 9yr life span.

The new Evenflo convertibles have an 8yr year life span (although some have reported only the Momentum has this, the others have a 6yr life span).

The Sunshine Kids Radians have either a 7 or 8yr life span (my mind can't remeber 100% right now).

The Dorel seats have varying life spans, depending on which seat you have.

I am honeslty not certain why Peg's only had a 5yr life span, most likely it is the type of plastic they use. They feel the seat is only safe for 5yrs.

The DOM or do not use after date, will be somewhere on the bottom of the seat more often than not. If it is not there, look at the harness adjuster area or at the top of the shell.

I would only use it until the expiration date that you think it would have. I'm all about car seat safety. I don't want something to happen and then think "ya know, what IF I would have used one that was not expired?" Hot cars break down plastic. It can become brittle and you wouldn't necessarily even know it.

A quick call to the local store confirmed that Peg Perego says their car seats should be used for only 5 years :glare: which, *could* possibly be sometime in 2011. Now, I'm all for car seat safety, especially for new babies, but 5 years seems a bit ridiculous to me. That said, I do not wish to put our friends' baby in any danger.

So, seeing as this car seat was only used for one child (for maybe 5 months and never in any accidents) and the rest of the time was stored at room temperature -would you think it is unsafe to use through to the end of 2011?

Given that the seat was stored inside at room temperature and not in direct sunlight, I would feel safe using the car with my child in it for many years. The manufacturer's 5 year safety time would be taking into consideration that some car seats are left in the car, parked in the sun, undergoing temperature extremes for 5 years.

However, I would not be as comfortable giving the car seat to use with their baby. I would feel bad if anything happened, even if it was not the fault of the car seat.

This is an interesting topic. I have never considered car seat expiration. I know that a non-profit that I joined has a thrift shop and when they accept car seats for resale, they must have the person donating sign an affidavit as to whether it was ever involved in a car accident, and I know for a fact that the fire department here confiscates car seats that are in car accidents if they are involved.

But I never thought about the plastic breaking down over time. It makes sense though given the temperature changes. I do know that many families reuse car seats for many children. Very interesting thoughts, I love when I learn something new.

I voted no and here is why. I know a guy from the insurance industry who is an investigator for car accidents.

Here's the scoop: The plastics that the car seat are made of breakdown over time. By the time the five year limit is reached, the plastic is becoming brittle and will not withstand the force of an accident over probably 25 miles per hour. He's seen what looked like "newish" car seats cracked and collapsing from relatively mild accidents. Since nearly all car seats, or at least their bases (for the infant ones) remain in the car and are exposed to heat, lots of sunshine, freezing cold in the winter, etc. it weakens the materials.

Faith (I didn't have a chance to read all of the posts so I am sorry if this is redundant information.)

*IF* you were to pass along the carseat and it were to fail in an accident you would always wonder if you made the right decision. It's not worth it. Your friends should just pick up a new carseat. The Graco Snugride is highly rated and can be found for, what, around $80.00 new?

They are nice car seats but do not fit the smaller crew well. The Safety First OnBoard35 last *much* longer than the SRs and is only $99 at Target. :D

When my daughter was born, I bought a Peg Perego baby carseat and stroller combo. I gave the carseat away when I didn't need it any more, but kept the stroller. 5-6 years later when I used the stroller with my son, plastic started to break away. And it was always stored inside the house. I know it is not scientific, but it was more than enough for me to throw away her great looking convertible carseat and buy a new one for my son. So no, I would never use a carseat past its expiration date.

I would use it for my own without a second thought, but for someone else I'd let them know so they can decide for themselves. I don't buy into the carseat expiration thing - they seem to be a way the manufacturers can sell more carseats. These are the same plastics that are supposed to clog a landfill for a thousand years, right? But some people take them VERY seriously, and should have that info to make their decision.

I voted no. We annually go to the car seat safety inspection with the police department and the officer (trained in car seat safety) said to never use a car seat 5 years or older or that has been in any sort of accident. Some reasons:

1. Seats 5 or more years - the plastic can warp (especially day after day of sun exposure).

2. The seat belt material could wear - like when you tighten the belts to secure the seat.

For accidents-

1. Stuff could be cracked or broken on the seat (that you may not see).

And of course, he recommended not to buy one from a yard sale since you don't know the history of the seat.

*IF* you were to pass along the carseat and it were to fail in an accident you would always wonder if you made the right decision. It's not worth it. Your friends should just pick up a new carseat. The Graco Snugride is highly rated and can be found for, what, around $80.00 new?

:iagree:

Shannon in NC

Also, as horrible as this sounds, if a child is injured while properly fastened into an expired car seat, there is little to no legal recourse if that car seat fails in an accident. If a seat fails due to manufacturer error before expiration, you can seek to have medical bills covered by the car seat manufacturer -- a blessed relief if the injury is severe or racks up a lot of bills -- but that option isn't open to you if the seat is past expiration.

I would absolutely not allow someone to use a seat past the expiration. The safety of a child to save a few bucks just isn't worth it. I was trained as a CPS tech and saw pictures of what happens when car seats fail or are installed incorrectly. A properly installed car seat literally saved the life of my grandson who was 4-days-old at the time of a roll-over wreck that totaled the vehicle he was riding in. Care seats are one things that it just isn't okay to try to cut corners with.