Menu

ANybody else got lots of stink bugs?

Uggh. Blech.

THey are everywhere. I found one on the toaster handle and one on the computer monitor this morning. They are all over our window screens. They hide in the pleats of our curtains. They buzz around the kitchen overhead light/fan at night.

I am sick of stink bugs!

Washington Post says the infestation started in Allentown, PA, in 2003 (or 4, I can't remember). They rode in from Asia and have spread to over half the US now. One expert says the infestation this year is "biblical" in proportion. Blech again!

Edited by Chris in VA

Yes, NE PA is like a horror movie. Just counted thirty in dd room. Our pumpkin patch is so covered with stinkers that you can't even see the orange. Dd4 is freaked out by stinkbugs, and she's broke down and cried four times today because they keep flying right in her face (which I admit I find funny in a sick sorta way).

I went to find more info on them and found lots of articles about the current infestation:

Members of Congress from Maryland, Pennsylvania and three other states under siege by the brown marmorated stink bug are asking federal authorities to allow farmers to fight back with pesticides that are not now approved for such use.

Rallied by Maryland Republican Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, 15 members signed a letter Friday to Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, arguing that "if we fail to take action … damage from this insect could prove to be a national crisis."

Farmers in Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic states are reporting significant crop damage — 20 percent or more in some orchards — from the invasive Asian species.

The congressional letter asks the USDA to "fast-track" reclassification of the stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, from a nonregulated pest to one that is regulated. That would allow the EPA to approve the unregistered, emergency use of any pesticides found to be effective. Many existing products don't work because of the insect's feeding and over-wintering habits.

Greg Rosenthal, spokesman for the USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, said the agency has not yet seen the letter. But, he said, the service "is convening a New Pest Advisory Group to consider the regulatory status of the pest."

The letter also asks the USDA to fund expanded monitoring, control and eradication programs, and to work with universities and private companies to register pesticides found to be effective.

"Time is of the essence," the bipartisan group wrote. "The goal is to marshal all available government resources to develop an effective control than can be implemented by next spring." Besides Bartlett, signers include Maryland Democratic Reps. Frank Kratovil, Steny Hoyer, and C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, as well as members from districts in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Oklahoma and California.

Nasty buggers. They cover the screens on the sunny sides of the house. Dh spent some quality time with The Google last night and discovered that they have pincers (pinchers?) which can hurt people----a defense mechanism apparently. I told him to keep that news quiet so Youngest doesn't freak out even more when one buzzes past her head :rolleyes:

I never thought I'd look forward to a killing frost...