Menu

POLL: Is LC *REALLY* dry and boring and LfC silly and fun?

Medieval Mom

Is LC truly dry and boring; Is LFC truly fun but fast? Please see the original post.  

1. 1. Is LC truly dry and boring; Is LFC truly fun but fast? Please see the original post.

• Yes, I (mostly) agree with these general characterizations.
    • No, that is NOT how I feel about this/these programs!

I've read Latin threads on this board for two years now, and I'm going cross-eyed. It seems the consensus is that MP Latin products are : reliable, professional, "get the job done", but DRY AND BORING. The dvds are dry, boring, long, and feature a less-than ideal presenter. It also seems that people find Latin for Children products to be: fun, silly, FAST, rigorous, strewn with more and more errors the higher you go in the program, and feature a professional, humorous presenter.

Do you agree with the stereotypes given? Or have I come to the wrong conclusion, based on reading the same reviews over and over and over again? :001_huh:

Edited by Medieval Mom

I took 2 boys threw LC I and half way through LCII and First Form soon to start Second Form. I am now taking my next 2 dc threw LC.

I don't know that I ever thought it was boring. I remember in LC feeling like I had to supplement with other stuff because there wasn't enough. So I dabbled with LfC and Lively Latin. I didn't like either one. I don't know if I was already so familiar enough with LC and their way of doing things that I wasn't up for a switch.

I used LfC very briefly and I could not adjust to how FAST the presentation was. It was confusing and unnerving and I didn't like it. I do not use the DVD for LC so I cannot say if it's long and boring. Now that I'm further in MP's Latin sequence AND because it's my 2nd time with LC I think that is helping me to know what to expect out of my students (who are 3rd and 5th grade) and how to go through it more effectively and efficiently. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but sometimes those things just bog a program down and make it take too much time out of the day. I like to slow down and take time in other subjects but not Latin. Just get 'er done! :001_smile:

I don't have the DVDs for LC, so I can't say.

The curriculum is straightforward and unembellished. It's definitely not silly and fun. But I'll tell you what, I've taught Latin for several years using LC and my students know their Latin.

It's a solid curriculum. In the end, that's more important to me than whether or not something entertains my kids.

I voted that I mostly agree. I don't think that LC itself is dry and boring...at least not the way we do it. However, the dvd is, imo, awful.

I agree with the pp when they say that LC is reliable and solid. Even though I was depending on my dc using the dvd and now can't use it, I still would not switch.

I'm surprised to hear LfC described as silly. The core curriculum is pretty straightforward-Chants, grammar, fill in blank practice for grammar, derivatives, quiz. The DVD just follows the book. And while my DD enjoys it, I find it almost sleep-inducing at times-it's just a guy, standing at a whiteboard, explaining the book. The activity book and website do have the various puzzles, games, and the like, but they're just extra practice, not the main focus of the lesson.

Frankly, I'm amazed LfC has been a success in our house at all, because it's so much more serious than SSL was-but so far, it seems to be working.

We have only just started Latin this year and are using LfC. My son is in 5th grade and a very fast learner (the main reason I pulled him out of school) and has a great capacity for memorization. We both really like LfC (he loves the DVD - the guy seems great). But I was pretty surprised how from chapter one you just jump in memorizing LOTS of stuff. I've got a 5th grade pretty-darn-sharp kid with an awesome memory, and I took 4 years of Latin in high school. So it works well for us. I can't imagine using this program for the typical 3rd grade student (it is recommended for 3rd grade and up) and I do wonder if it would be a bit harder for me to get (I don't have the memory he does!) if I hadn't had the 4 years of Latin.

So yes - it does seem like it moves very quickly. But then we don't have anything to compare it to. I was very surprised at the pace. I think it would be hard for me to figure out a way to slow it down very easily since there is just so much in each chapter. You can't split it in half, so you'd just use the same amount of stuff and spend longer on it. Which still seems to me like it would just be a LOT for a typical 3rd grader.

Anyway, we love it and I'd totally recommend it and am so glad we chose it!

We're only in our 3rd week with LfC, so I'm obviously not a seasoned user, but I find the comments about how fast it moves interesting. I've got a quick to learn 4th grade ds and a dyslexic 5th grade dd, and they both love it and are catching on quickly. I think b/c the chants are fun they both like to listen to them again and again. Dd, who dislikes learning almost everything, continuously asks if she can listen to the Latin DVD again and again. Weird, but they're loving it.

I've never used LC, but we are using First Form and really liking it so far. Yes, it's dry, but it is well-put-together, easy to use, and seems to be getting the job done.

We tried LfC when it first came out (our first Latin program, when the kids were around 3rd grade) expecting FUN based on those same reviews. What we got was... a Latin program, and one that moved too fast for my kiddos. I didn't see anything remotely fun about it. Not that that's a deal-breaker for me, usually. I'm a card-carrying member of the No Fun Mom's Club, and as long as my kids are learning, whether they're having fun isn't a big issue for me. But the disparity between what I was expecting with LfC and what we actually got was just huge. I kept looking through it, trying to find the fun and feeling like I was the only one who couldn't see the Emperor's new clothes.

SBP

but wanted to say that I have used LC for three dss. #3 is enjoyng it now. He would tell you that he loves Latin. I am no Latin expert/teacher, but I follow the book and we memorize lists and practice singing and saying the words. Then we play go fish, concentration and whatever other games I can come up with. We love it and it works great. Just our experience.

We started LfC when ds was in 5th grade. To me and ds it was fun, a tad goofy, and it helped him enjoy Latin. We would march military style around the house while we did our chants.

I had opted not to use LC at the time for several reasons, dry being one of them. I have not USED the program, I simply read EVERY Latin thread that was on the board at the time. LfC was described as fun more often.

Choosing a Latin program was the hardest decision I've ever made homeschooling. Since we were starting with LCC I felt added pressure to choose correctly as I wanted him to like Latin. I've never been sorry about our choice. Obviously it's not going to work with everyone.

Can someone tell me more about the errors in LfC? I was planning on using it after we finish SSL, but if errors are common I'm not sure I want to start down that road. Thanks!

I believe many of the errors were in the original edition. They have been corrected in subsequent updates as far as I know.

Thank you, everyone, who took the time to respond and comment. I am actually quite happy to read all the positive comments on the MP Latin series, as that is the program that appeals most to ME from those I've seen. But ds appreciates goofy humor, so LfC (based on comments I'd read) seems like it might be a good fit for him. (Then, there is always Lively Latin...)

On the other hand, I looked long and hard for a fun, secular, solid program for Language Arts and ended up with... Rod and Staff. :001_huh: :lol: Although it is often described as dry, boring, get the job done, definitely NOT secular, etc., so far we are both thoroughly enjoying it! :)

I haven't used LfC, so I can't really compare the two. I will say that I struggled greatly with my decision on which Latin to choose for dd. I wrestled, decided, wrestled, decided. Ultimately, after talking with some people I respected in the LCC arena, I became at peace with the decision to go with LC. I knew from my research and my conversations that it wasn't perfect or the "best" thing for everyone, but I felt content it was what we needed for now. I am with some of the others who have said that fun is not always a necessity in the programs I choose. I consider Latin to be a core subject, like Math, and my criteria for a program in either subject is that it works. LC1 is working for us. I couple it with Ludere Latine and I think the puzzles and games there do a great job of solidifying the things we are learning. Dd loves doing Latin...she even likes the dvds...shocking, I know. So far LC has not been boring for us at all.

The LC DVDs made us want to poke our eyes out! But the curriculum wasn't bad. It just moved way too slowly for us. We ditched it very quickly.

I never used LfC, because I looked at it at a homeschool conference and didn't care for it. We use Minimus I and II, and then move into Oxford Latin.

I prefer LFC because of the chants. Yes they are fast but there is something about them that keep the kids attention and make them want to learn them - like keeping up with the pace is a game/challenge that they want to do. I also prefer the classical pronunciation and LFC offers both. LC is a solid program but lately I have not been pleased with some of the things I've heard coming out of MP regarding their expectations and requirements for Latin. It has bothered me enough that should I need a different program down the road for my youngest, I don't think I'll be looking at MP.

Heather

LC is a solid program but lately I have not been pleased with some of the things I've heard coming out of MP regarding their expectations and requirements for Latin. It has bothered me enough that should I need a different program down the road for my youngest, I don't think I'll be looking at MP.

Heather

Heather, I would love to hear what you've heard and where you read about it for my own research.

Thanks.

I completely agree with LC being dry and boring...and honestly, it does move too slow. Prima had way too much work for an upper elementary child, and LC has barely enough to keep a middle/jr high child going. That, and the DVD really does make you want to poke your eye out...ugh.

I teach Latin in our co op, and I had to completely rewrite LC in order to stomach teaching it. My son actually cried when I tried to play the CD...he offered to do extra work in exchange for not having to listen to it.

I use all three levels of LfC as well as Latin Alive in my classes, and my kids love it. I wouldn't characterize it as silly or fast-moving, but I also don't let kids younger than 5th grade in my classes. For a 3rd grader...yes, it would be too fast, but for middle school kids, LfC is just right. I start Latin Alive in 9th (or 8th, if the kids have done LfC) and am having great luck with it. I've had a lot of kids say that Latin is their favorite subject, and this is partly due to the curriculum.

I don't use the DVD because I have a background in ancient languages and I teach it myself, but I've talked with Dr. Perrin on several occasions and I think the DVD does a great job. I've reviewed several currics, and LfC is easily the best I've found.

We LOVED Song School Latin. We are LOVING Latin Alive. We were not happy with Latin For Children.

My ds9 did SSL last year (he's had fine motor skill issues, so we did it later than "normal"). This year he is doing Song School Greek. Loves it. He has requested to do LfC next year. We'll try it. I am hoping that he does well with it.

My girls and I tried LfC. We started three times. They just couldn't get into it. (This is after starting LC twice - sans DVDs. Also didn't care for it.) Maybe they just weren't ready for Latin. Maybe it was because they actually knew a couple kids in the videos so it was distracting. Maybe it's because I've been doing some work with CAP so they "know" Dr. Perrin so that was distracting. I'm not sure, but I do know that we are doing Latin Alive this year, and they beg to do it more often than I have it scheduled and are getting it and loving it. Latin Alive is presented in a light, positive way that my girls are responding to. They feel like Ms. Moore *wants* them to succeed, and they want to succeed for her. LfC felt heavy and inaccessible to them. As I said before, maybe they just weren't ready for Latin then (we tried it off and on over the past 4 years) because I know others who have loved it. I am hoping my son will love it when he starts later this year or early next year. If not, I'll just have him wait a few years and start Latin Alive.

I've never seen LfC, but I just wanted to put in my two cents on the LC DVDs. My dd is in LCII now, and we used the DVDs with LCI as well. I've read people have a negative opinion of them, but I honestly don't see why. I've asked my dd and she doesn't get the negativity either. I have a (rusty) Latin background, but I bought the DVDs to save myself some time in our school day. Anyway, just wanted to let you know, not everyone hates the DVDs. We like them here. Latin gets done. I am thinking of switching to something different once we are done with LCII, but that is more due to wanderlust on my part...

We use PL and LCI. None of my dc have ever complained about the DVDs or the text. My 2nd and 3rd grader use PL, but have recently switched to a

co-op setting. My oldest ds (4th) uses LCI and he is doing well.

Someone mentioned they were using LCI for middle school. I would imagine it would be boring for that. There are other programs that MP sells to use for middle school.

Heather, I would love to hear what you've heard and where you read about it for my own research.

Thanks.

SUre - I got your PM so I'll respond there. I just wanted to let you know that I'm super swamped today so if I don't get back to you until tomorrow, that's why. I had a minute while little one is in the bathroom to get back to you know but got to get back to work :-)

I don't have the DVDs for LC, so I can't say.

The curriculum is straightforward and unembellished. It's definitely not silly and fun. But I'll tell you what, I've taught Latin for several years using LC and my students know their Latin.

It's a solid curriculum. In the end, that's more important to me than whether or not something entertains my kids.

:iagree:with all that, even the part about not having the DVDs! I am also now on my second round of teaching through LC (went from PL through LCII through First Form and are starting Henle with my older 2, and my younger 2 boys are almost through PL). We did most of it orally until First Form. I liked how it was laid out so logically and straight-forwardly. My boys know their Latin, that's for sure! It's a program that works, and I guess I've never been one to get the exciting new and trendy programs, LOL.

and I voted yes. We used Prima and it really did make me want to poke my eyes out. :lol: LC just looked rediculously boring ( very close friend used it and still uses it today), so I didn't even attempt it. We have used SSL, LfC A, B, some of C and Latin Alive plus Spanish for Children A, and we LOVE CAP products.

I started LfC A with my then 3rd and 4th graders. They did great. It moved quickly, but they learned it. LfC B was harder yet, but they really learned tons. My dd did some of C and is now doing LA in a Co-op and my son is doing SfC and doing awesome. He says it is so easy because of Latin. I am now using iLevel A with my 2nd and 4th grade dds. They are both doing great. I don't think it is too hard for the youngers as long as they have had some grammar.

I like that there are the little video clips at the end to make it more fun, and their new website for videos and games are awesome. I see no reason why it is wrong to lighten up what could be a very dry subject. MP Latins just would kill the joy for me.