Menu

quick question about no-bake cookies...

So, let's say that the last two times you made no-bake cookies, they didn't 'set up' right; they stayed gummy. Let's say that, oh, maybe 1/3 of the time you make them, they don't turn out right.

Let's also say that you finally broke down and bought a candy thermometer for less than $4 at Walmart the other day. :tongue_smilie:

What 'stage' would I want to boil the butter/sugar/cocoa/milk mixture to? Soft ball is what I'm guessing, but I'm not sure...

I hate that 'boil for one minute' part of the instructions. Sometimes, it works perfectly; sometimes, not so much, and then I've wasted time and ingredients. Now that I have a thermometer, I'd much prefer an actual temperature to bring it to, but I can't find a recipe for no-bakes with a temp.

Any ideas, ladies?

Edited by bethanyniez

how funny - I made these same ones yesterday and the same thing sometimes happens to me. I found doubling the batch almost always makes it come out wrong. I find that overboiling seems to make it happen as often as underboiling.

Sorry - not too much of a help I know

So, ok, I still don't know, but at least I have company, lol.

Well, the last time we made Fantasy Fudge, the recipe said to boil it for either 4 or 5 minutes, depending on if you looked at the 'old' or 'new' version of the recipe. And that was to bring it to 'soft ball' stage. Well, I used my candy thermometer instead, and it took more like 2 1/2 mintues to get to soft ball. So I'm thinking that perhaps the no-bake cookies should be stopped at a lower temp, since all the reicpies I've seen say to boil it for either 1 or 1/2 minutes.

Ugh. I don't know. I give up.

(Well, not really, LOL. I still REALLY want to make no-bakes.:tongue_smilie:)

Hey Bethany!

My first question to you is: are you using FULL fat peanut butter? When I first got married and started making these on my own, I was trying to use low fat PB. My mom said that was the reason it did not work out.

I don't think it matters if you're using butter or margarine, but maybe using low fat margarine can wreak havoc on them, too? I don't know... We go all out and use regular 'ol butter. LOL

I have never used a candy thermometer to make them. I don't think you need to use it, really. Do you put in the full amount of oats?

My recipe says to let the sugar/milk/butter/cocoa powder (if you're making chocolate ones) mixture come to a full rolling boil, and then let it boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Rolling boil means when it is realllllly boiling and bubbles are coming to the surface and popping around all over the place, not those tiny, gentle little bubbles that gracefully float up to the top when the water is starting to get to the boiling point.

I have a stove that has a clock on it, so when the mixture comes to that rolling boil, I stir and stare for the full 1 1/2 mins. Sometimes, I wear my digital watch that measures seconds on it...

I hope this helps. You deserve some awesome homemade no bake cookies!!! :D

Edited by herbalgirl

The full boil is a good point. But I wonder if one could test the boiled mixture by cooling a little bit (freezer?) and seeing if it sets up firm. If it does, carry on, and if it doesn't, put it back to a boil? I also think experimenting with temp and reporting back to us is a great idea. ;)

I searched on no fail no bake cookies and this recipe came up:

http://foodwithbeth.blogspot.com/2008/03/never.html

And now I thoroughly want no bake cookies!

The full boil is a good point. But I wonder if one could test the boiled mixture by cooling a little bit (freezer?) and seeing if it sets up firm. If it does, carry on, and if it doesn't, put it back to a boil? I also think experimenting with temp and reporting back to us is a great idea. ;)

I searched on no fail no bake cookies and this recipe came up:

http://foodwithbeth.blogspot.com/2008/03/never.html

And now I thoroughly want no bake cookies!

I may try the cold water testing method. Although, I can never get fudge to come out, either. I'm thinking I may make some no-bake cookies this afternoon.:001_smile:

My recipe says to let the sugar/milk/butter/cocoa powder (if you're making chocolate ones) mixture come to a full rolling boil, and then let it boil for 1 1/2 minutes. Rolling boil means when it is realllllly boiling and bubbles are coming to the surface and popping around all over the place, not those tiny, gentle little bubbles that gracefully float up to the top when the water is starting to get to the boiling point.

I have a stove that has a clock on it, so when the mixture comes to that rolling boil, I stir and stare for the full 1 1/2 mins. Sometimes, I wear my digital watch that measures seconds on it...

I hope this helps. You deserve some awesome homemade no bake cookies!!! :D

:iagree: Timing makes them come out perfectly. AND don't let the peanut butter boil!! That messes them up!

It wasn't me, honest! I think we can place the blame squarely where it belongs--on the shoulders of Nakia's sil. :lol:

Okay, when I can't fit into my dress for the wedding I'll wear a sign, "It's Nakia's sister-in-law's fault!" I'm not the bride, anyway, let them look at her, not me!;):D

Here is my no-bake cookie wisdom, but first I have to say that mine turn out perfectly every time now. They didn't use to, but now they do.

First of all, let the milk (I use whole milk), butter (I use only real butter) and sugar (I use raw sugar/turbinado) come to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly and then time for 3 (THREE) minutes while still stirring constantly.

Remove the pan from heat. Add your oatmeal, peanut butter (I use Smucker's natural), vanilla (I use homemade from vanilla beans and vodka)

AND......AND........AND.........

DO NOT USE BAKING COCOA. Use chocolate chips (semi-sweet) for the perfectly-set cookie every time.

Everyone loves my no-bakes. They are so easy, turn out perfectly, and I take them everywhere because everyone requests them.

Here is my no-bake cookie wisdom, but first I have to say that mine turn out perfectly every time now. They didn't use to, but now they do.

First of all, let the milk (I use whole milk), butter (I use only real butter) and sugar (I use raw sugar/turbinado) come to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly and then time for 3 (THREE) minutes while still stirring constantly.

Remove the pan from heat. Add your oatmeal, peanut butter (I use Smucker's natural), vanilla (I use homemade from vanilla beans and vodka)

AND......AND........AND.........

DO NOT USE BAKING COCOA. Use chocolate chips (semi-sweet) for the perfectly-set cookie every time.

Everyone loves my no-bakes. They are so easy, turn out perfectly, and I take them everywhere because everyone requests them.

We need the recipe!:D

I have to ask, what are no-bake cookies??? I instantly thought of oreos or chips ahoy LOL!

:svengo: Do you live under a rock, woman? How can you exist without ever eating a no-bake cookie??? ;)

Agreeing with pp, you have to time from when it is really, really boiling.

If they fail, though, you can just pour them over ice cream. Or eat them out of the bowl with a spoon like my girls and I do. :D We call that "there's nothing wrong with that cookie that a spoon and a momentary lack of self respect can't cure."

I would think the soft ball stage would do the job. You can also test by dripping a little of the boiling mixture into a small bowl of cold water and seeing if it sets up. If not, cook more and try again. I haven't used a candy thermometer before when making these but I'm hoping you'll post after you try it because now I'm curious. :)

I haven't had any problems with them using baking cocoa powder, btw. You would definitely not want to use low fat margarine, though. They make it low fat by adding in things like water and gelatin, which have a completely different effect in baking than fat does. If it says butter, use butter. Or you can usually get away with substituting full-fat margarine or even shortening (though I think with shortening you have to adjust the liquid in a recipe...don't remember, but it says on the can "to substitute for butter do such and such"--I was desperate once.) But no low-fat margarine in baking unless the recipe specifically calls for it. It is NOT the same substance and does not behave the same way.

Sorry, I've been doing mega-laundry and packing today...getting ready to take both girls to college this weekend.

Anyhow, here's my recipe: (my mom used to work as a cook at an elementary school, and this is the recipe they made there)

No-Bake Cookies

1 Cup Real Butter

1 Cup Whole Milk

4 Cups Sugar

Put in kettle and, stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add:

6 Cups Rolled Oats

1 Jar Peanut Butter (15 oz)

1 Bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (the reg size bag, not the large one....sorry I don't have an exact size/oz measurement, but it's right around 2 cups)

1 Tbs. Vanilla

Stir quickly until completely mixed. You can pour into a greased pan (two pans this way and they are thick), let cool and then cut into squares, or you can drop by spoonful onto cookie sheets (I use 4 cookie sheets for this recipe).

I use a candy thermometer and cook them until it is at 230-232 degrees, not soft ball, which is 238-240. They come out perfectly every time. You can vary the amount of oatmeal also and use a little more if they are a little on the thin side. Also, I use one-minute oatmeal, not old fashioned oatmeal. It's not a disaster to use old-fashioned, and it will do in a pinch, but the bigger flakes are tougher.

Terri

I use a candy thermometer and cook them until it is at 230-232 degrees, not soft ball, which is 238-240. They come out perfectly every time. You can vary the amount of oatmeal also and use a little more if they are a little on the thin side. Also, I use one-minute oatmeal, not old fashioned oatmeal. It's not a disaster to use old-fashioned, and it will do in a pinch, but the bigger flakes are tougher.

Terri

And we have a winner!

Terri, you are the only person who has actually given me a temperature! I searched all over the internet today as well, and couldn't find one. I'm going to try this, and if they work, we'll take them with us to our homeschool park day tomorrow.

You rock! :001_smile:

Edited by bethanyniez

Sorry, I've been doing mega-laundry and packing today...getting ready to take both girls to college this weekend.

Anyhow, here's my recipe: (my mom used to work as a cook at an elementary school, and this is the recipe they made there)

No-Bake Cookies

1 Cup Real Butter

1 Cup Whole Milk

4 Cups Sugar

Put in kettle and, stirring constantly, bring to a rolling boil. Boil 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add:

6 Cups Rolled Oats

1 Bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (the reg size bag, not the large one....sorry I don't have an exact size/oz measurement, but it's right around 2 cups)

1 Tbs. Vanilla

Stir quickly until completely mixed. You can pour into a greased pan (two pans this way and they are thick), let cool and then cut into squares, or you can drop by spoonful onto cookie sheets (I use 4 cookie sheets for this recipe).

Thank you Katia!

My recipe is:

Chocolate Oatmeal No-Bake Cookies

2 cups of sugar

3 tablespoons of cocoa

½ cup of milk

1 stick of butter

½ cup of peanut butter

3 cup of Oatmeal

In a Dutch oven add sugar and cocoa. Mix thoroughly. Add milk and mix again. Add butter and peanut butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Continue cooking while stirring constantly for an additional 5-6.5 minutes after it comes to a boil (medium ball stage). Remove from heat and add oatmeal. Working quickly, drop rounded tablespoonfuls on a piece of tin foil. Wait about 5 minutes and then enjoy. Best when warm.

This is really more like a candy recipe and can be quite temperamental. The cooking time may need adjusting based on both your pan and your stove. If the cookies turn out gooey after five minutes then next time cook for a minute longer. If they turn out crumbly the cook for a minute less next time.

I have been making these for as long as I can remember, at least since I was 10. I have always had to work out exactly how many minutes to cook, based on the stove, when I move to a new house. I have a specific pan that I use for this that really makes a difference in the way they come out. When I am visiting someone, I may have to make more than once batch, working with the variables, to come up with a perfect one.

I can tell by looking at the mixture when it reaches the perfect stage. The mixture just starts to have bubbles that look slightly crisper and hold their shape for a second. When made correctly, mine firm up to the point that they can be picked up and held in about five minutes. Before that you have to eat them with a spoon. If you err, it is best to err on the gooey side as they can still be eaten with a spoon. If you over do them and they turn out crumbly, you can't and they really don't taste as good.

So I made them last night and this morning we had them for breakfast! My children were stunned when that's what they were served. They are so used to Mom not letting them eat too much junk that cookies for breakfast was a bit of a shock! lol

Now I'm off to start school. We'll see how it goes after a junky breakfast like that. The peanut butter made for plenty of protein, though, so maybe it won't be too bad. Right?! :-p

So I made them last night and this morning we had them for breakfast! My children were stunned when that's what they were served. They are so used to Mom not letting them eat too much junk that cookies for breakfast was a bit of a shock! lol

Now I'm off to start school. We'll see how it goes after a junky breakfast like that. The peanut butter made for plenty of protein, though, so maybe it won't be too bad. Right?! :-p

The peanut butter has protein, the chocolate has antioxidants, and the oats have fiber. :D They're practically health food! ;)

It's fun to shake it up a bit sometimes and make your dc wonder if you've lost it. :001_smile:

No-Bake Cookies

1 Cup Real Butter

1 Cup Whole Milk

4 Cups Sugar

6 Cups Rolled Oats

1 Tbs. Vanilla

They aren't cool yet, but my kids report that while still warm they are great.:001_smile: Thank you for posting the recipe, Katia.