Menu

American History made interesting ...

Luanne

No, this isn't a new curriculum out there, but it should be. I am finding it difficult to learn American history and have it be even remotely interesting. I find world history holds my attention far better than American. Why is that? What do you use and do you find it interesting?

Hi Luanne, I guess I'm unsure how to help you because I can't see what you're currently using. Have you considered filling in your sig with some basic info about your dc's grades and what materials you're using? I'm a confirmed history hater, but somehow I birthed a dc that adores it, loves it, begs for it and breathes it. It's totally possible to teach history in an interesting way that you can tolerate, but getting there requires understanding what you need, what fits your dc, etc. So if you provide more info on what you're doing and why it's not working, maybe people can make suggestions on how to tweak to get it to work. Sometimes it's not about using new materials but changing HOW you use them. Also, I've noticed in other threads that you're looking for some other options for next year. Are there any specific things you need (fully scheduled, able to do independently, etc.)?

Maybe the reason that world history is more exciting for you is:

1. You already know a lot of USA history and find review a bit boring while world history is mainly new and exciting?

2. World history has many different flavors, like an international buffet. Right when you would be getting tired of Medieval history, it's time for a little Chinese!

3. It moves at a faster pace. It seems like a decade of USA history (for us at least) takes as much time as a century of world history.

When there is something in USA history that you want to spend time on without getting bored, look at the library for activity books put out by either Harvard Review Press or Williamson Publishing (check their websites). This will give your hands something to do (making moccasins, cooking hasty pudding, copying a map, acting out a scene in history) while you are learning more details. And, add a few movies/videos in for interest.

Also, get together with homeschooling friends for a historical meal or whtaever.

And, since you asked, we're using MFW recommeded materials and we're at 1800 in USA history. We are using SOTW, George Washington's World, and a few other resources.

Just some ideas.

Personally I love American History. My main reason probably is that this is our heritage, what our country was formed from. There are so many different ways to teach it. You could do the traditional dry textbook, or you can use your imagination and make it amazing. We are using for book anyways;(keep in mid this is more than one years worth of study and we might not use all the things in every book, but we pull from them to get what we want)

*The history of US by Joy Hakim

* Don't know much about American History by Kenneth C. Davis

* American History Stories...you never read in school...but should have vol 1 & 2 By Mara L. Pratt, M.D. and Reed R. Simonsen

* History Pockets Colonial America, Explorers of North America, Moving west, Life in Plymouth Colony, Native Americans by Evan - Moor

* Interactive 3-D maps: American History by Donald M. Silver and Patricia J. Wynne

*Super pop - up reports for American History by Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord

*Have fun with American Heros by David C. King

I also have some cooking with US history books coming and I am on the hunt for some good American history diaries and such.

On top of all of this we go to places like Independence rock, parts of the Oregon trail, and other historical monuments near us. Also throw in trips to the museums and such and wow, now we are having a blast while learning American History.

Sorry so long! I hope I gave you some ideas in my ramblings. :001_smile:

I found 2 curriculums that really sparked an interest for me. When my dd used Joy Hakim's History of US last year, I really got into American History. I would take her books and read through one in a night or two. They were really "fun" reads! For world history, I just LOVE listening to Diana Waring's History Alive! CD's! I've learned more history in a few months than my entire time in hs! It's all about how it is presented. Dry texts never thrilled me (or anybody!). A good storyteller makes all the difference!

I also have some cooking with US history books coming and I am on the hunt for some good American history diaries and such.

Would you mind sharing what cooking books you've found? I was thinking of doing a cooking project once a week when we start American history in a few weeks.

What about taking some field trips to some historic sites? I think my love of U.S. history comes from being raised in VA. As a child I was able to visit Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Appomattox, and a dozen other historic sites where I could experience "living history," not just pictures or photos in textbooks. Surely there are some nearby (or not so nearby, if you're adventurous) historic sites you could check out to spark your interest!

I also like the cookbook suggestion. DD is an American Girl junkie, so we have several of the cookbooks from the pastimes series, and love them! They come up on half.com fairly frequently if you're interested!

-Robin

What about taking some field trips to some historic sites?

Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Appomattox, and a dozen other historic sites where I could experience "living history," not just pictures or photos in textbooks. Surely there are some nearby (or not so nearby, if you're adventurous) historic sites you could check out to spark your interest!

I also like the cookbook suggestion. DD is an American Girl junkie, so we have several of the cookbooks from the pastimes series, and love them! They come up on half.com fairly frequently if you're interested!

-Robin

I totally second these suggestions. Luanne, like you, I used to think US history was boring (esp. compared to world history). But, over the past 2 years, we've gone off on rabbit trails & spent quite a bit of time learning US history. I just requested tons of books from the library (elementary level) & sorted through them as I got them. We didn't read them all, but there were plenty of fun ones for young kids & I actually really enjoyed them too.

We've also done quite a bit of visiting to the DC area, Williamsburg, Charleston, etc.... Seeing these places in real life makes them more fun, imo.

The Am. Girl cookbooks are good. There are also craft books (dd loves these) and the "Welcome to My World" books for each (which have some great photos & info overall).

Generally speaking, we've spent a lot more time on older US history (colonial times - pioneer times) than the more recent history (though, we are currently working through SOTW 4, so we'll get more modern things this year).

So, through finding lots of elementary level resources (no curriculum, just lots of living books, some crafts, and lots of field trips), I found that I have learned to love US history too. LOL.

Good luck & enjoy!

P.S. (What grades/ages are your kids? What area of the country are you in? Are there any field trip opportunities around/nearby that would tie in w/ US history?)

SWB has not yet written an American history curriculum!

Wouldn't that be great?

I find that it is much easier to find living books about American history than world history, and that they illuminate their periods really, really well.

If you really don't like it, the way I would do it is when you finish SOTW, get some of those Steward Ship unit studies on aspects of America history, put them in roughly chronological order, and add some additional historical fiction to the main books that she recommends. We are studying the ante-bellum period this way right now, and I have never been so enthralled in all my life. My DH is enthralled as well. I can't do read alouds for this period unless he is home and present--this is cramping our style, but it's nice to share something this way!

Also, get the program--"Blackline Maps of American History" and incorporate those and a rough time line into your studies. For the time line, just put in the dates from each of the unit studies you do. That will give you the main dates for the whole period. I think you'll like this better and better!

The fact that you're studying world history now (IIUYC) might make American history more interesting as well. The philosophies and history of Europe informed and contrasted with American views. Our representative government concept is both similar to and different from those of our European ancestors, and the comparison and contrast of the two strands brings our choices and results into sharper focus and more interesting levels of understanding.

We're currently reading Abraham Lincoln's World aloud with my 2 dc and are really enjoying it. We also add history videos from United Streaming and PBS via Netflix. We're currently watching American Experience Abraham and Mary Lincoln. The PBS website has TONS of great teaching materials to use along with the video series.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/lincolns/

HippoCampus has interesting free videos on Am. Hx and Am. Gov't: http://www.hippocampus.org/?course=17

My older ds listens to Hakim's series A History of Us on audio from audible.com.

For me, any history is boring. What I love however, and what gets me and my dc excited about history, is reading fabulous books about the people of the time period. We used Biblioplan this last year, but in years past, I have chosen good books from http://www.abookintime.com, and we just read bios and historical fiction in the order of time in which they occur in history. After reading about some event or person, we usually end up on the internet trying to find out more facts about the person/time period. We LOVE history at our house.

What I love however, and what gets me and my dc excited about history, is reading fabulous books about the people of the time period.

I agree with this. Adding historical fiction, biographies and other great living books can really elevate the study of history. For my kids, hands on projects also help. This made Winter Promise the logical choice for my kida and they loved learning American history. I also like Truthquest.