Menu

How do you organize your recipes?

As part of my crazed decluttering streak this month, I am about to tackle my cluttered plastic bin of recipes. I think I want to try recipe cards, but I would like them to be large index card size (maybe 5 x 7). I would like to slip them into plastic sleeves, preferably 2 per page, stacked vertically--one above and one below, both showing at the same time. Is this possible? Do such plastic sleeves exist? Or would I have to search photo album inserts?

Any better ideas out there? I don't want computer storage; I am interested in hard copies in a neat binder. I briefly considered a recipe box, but I think I would like it to fit on a book shelf neatly. Although a recipe box would sit nicely in my cabinet. Perhaps I could have tried and true recipes in a box in the cabinet and untried recipes in a binder on the book shelf.

Eager for ideas and suggestions! :bigear:

Edited by Tracy in Ky

I use a ring binder. I don't even mess around with index cards and the like. I put 8x10 photocopies of the recipes, three-hole punched, into the ring binder. This way, I can use printouts of e-mails, things off the computer, photocopies of index cards and so on. I don't have to hand-copy everything. I have tabs for all sorts of categories, including, "Desserts," "Vegetarian," "Crock Pot," and even "Fun Things," such a play-dough and flubber.

If needed, you could then use the 8x10 page protectors you can get at any office supply store. I don't even bother with page protectors.

The ring binder sits on my cookbook shelf in the kitchen, which keeps it handy and organized.

I use a ring binder with plastic sleeves, and I have sections for mains, soups and desserts. I would like to do something more visually aesthetic but it would be a big job and I havent had the inclination. I print recipes or cut them out of the newspaper. I have way too many recipes to consider handwriting or even typing them onto index cards. The plastic sleeves are good though for protection from splashes.

I have mine on 4x6 index cards in the little index card binders. Works really well for me. I love that they don't take up much room and they are very portable. A heavy 3 ring binder would and did bug me. My new system hasn't bugged me yet. :001_smile:

I use BigOven on the computer, but for hard copies, I print them out and put them in my binder. Tried & true recipes go into page protectors in the correct sections, and recipes I tear out of magazines or print from the internet go into the front pocket of the binder until I've tried them. Then they either get a page protector, or get tossed. My binder is also pretty enough to leave out on a book holder on the counter. I put a swatch of the upholstery fabric I have in my kitchen/family room into the copier and made a color copy, then I put that copy into the front of my binder and, voila! Now my binder is pretty and coordinates with the room. It looks nice enough to stay out all the time.

Once I took one of those Facebook quizzes, and one of the questions was about what material possessions you'd grab if you were running from your burning house. I didn't have to think twice--I'd grab that binder for sure! :)

I have two 3-ring binders with tabbed dividers. I have computer paper inserted into page protectors. This allows me to remove a page protector, tape it to my cabinet, and then put it back. The computer paper allows me to tape various recipes to one page. I can usually fit at least six on one page, more if they are little ones from magazines. It also allows the recipes to be varying sizes. I have no desire to write out something I printed from www.allrecipes (where I get most of mine).

One binder contains main and side dishes. The other binder contains breakfast foods, desserts, breads, fruit things, beverages, etc. I just add more paper and protectors where I need to. For example, when I've filled up a page (front and back) with chicken recipes, I start a new page. All of my cake recipes are in one section, pies in another and so on.

Also, I keep often-used recipes tape to the inside of three of my cabinets. I just remove it, tape it to the outside of the cabinet when making, and then return it to the inside.

Cabinet # 1: muffins, breads, pancake, waffle recipes.

Cabinet # 2: desserts

Cabinet # 3: sauces, soups, conversions, etc.

Edited by nestof3

I use BigOven on the computer, but for hard copies, I print them out and put them in my binder. Tried & true recipes go into page protectors in the correct sections, and recipes I tear out of magazines or print from the internet go into the front pocket of the binder until I've tried them.

This is what I use, also. I like that I can print it out into several different sizes and looks. I can import recipes from all over the internet easily and I can either print or quickly e-mail to a friend.

I have one recipe "box" that I just put my tried and true recipes in and the other box is for ones I want to try. I also have tons of hardback cookbooks (other than curriculum, they are probably the only things that I like to collect) but, I never can remember which book they're in. So, I made an index list in BigOven with my favorite recipes, which cookbook they're in, and the page numbers.

Prior to this, I also used the "search through the drawer" filing system, but I lost a favorite, cherished recipe that my Grandmother wrote out for me when I left for college. She's gone now and I can't get that back. I needed a better way and this works for me.

I love all these ideas! I'm starting to lean toward a 3 ring binder and regular sheet protectors...

One more thing about the binders & regular sheet protectors that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you have a picture of a finished dish (from a magazine, for instance) it's easy to tape the picture to a regular sheet of paper & slide it into the protector, so you can have the picture too. It's harder to do that with recipe cards. :001_smile:

As part of my crazed decluttering streak this month, I am about to tackle my cluttered plastic bin of recipes. I think I want to try recipe cards, but I would like them to be large index card size (maybe 5 x 7). I would like to slip them into plastic sleeves, preferably 2 per page, stacked vertically--one above and one below, both showing at the same time. Is this possible? Do such plastic sleeves exist? Or would I have to search photo album inserts?

Any better ideas out there? I don't want computer storage; I am interested in hard copies in a neat binder. I briefly considered a recipe box, but I think I would like it to fit on a book shelf neatly. Although a recipe box would sit nicely in my cabinet. Perhaps I could have tried and true recipes in a box in the cabinet and untried recipes in a binder on the book shelf.

Eager for ideas and suggestions! :bigear:

You have described by recipe binder exactly!! It's embarrassing how much I love this thing! The advantage of this binder over the typical photo album is that the sleeves are clear on both sides, so you can turn the page and see the backs of the cards.

I have the red one with 4 x 6 cards and pockets, but here's the link for the one that holds 5 x 7: http://www.amazon.com/CR-Gibson-Appetit-Deluxe-Kitchen/dp/B000SSTFK0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1280246719&sr=8-2

:-)

I use a binder, recipes in page protectors, in alphabetical order.

I also use a menu planner, items written on 1/2 cards, stuck in baseball sheet protectors, by category. This way I have all the items in my binders plus those in cookbooks. I just look at my menu planner to decide what to make. The recipe is easy to find (if its in the binder) because those are in alphabetical order.