Menu

For those who blog: pros/cons of posting photos of kids

If you have a blog that is open to the public (meaning anyone on the internet could find it, you publicize the address to others, etc. vs. just give it out to specific people), do you post photos of your kids?

Why do you or don't you?

If you do post them, do you take any other measures to protect the privacy of the blog or the photos?

First I have to say that I do not have kids or a public blog.

I do have a Facebook and have some pictures up of my siblings. Those pictures are quite heavily protected..only family members and close friends can see them.

I might post occasional pictures of my children on a public blog. I would not post pictures of other people's children without their very explicit permission.

Dh and I were just discussing this today. We have pictures on fb and on my blog of our children. I was thinking of taking the photos off my blog but decided to leave the ones up that are already there (not many) and not put any more up in the future.

I post pictures. I don't have my exact location, just a general area, but I'm really not concerned. Someone who wanted to harm us is much more likely to follow us home from the grocery store than go through all the work of hunting us down.

I'm more careful about what I say than pictures. I don't post about daily routines, or say exactly where we live, and I'd never post that my daughter was home alone (or was going to be, or was in the past...).

If you have a blog that is open to the public (meaning anyone on the internet could find it, you publicize the address to others, etc. vs. just give it out to specific people), do you post photos of your kids?

Why do you or don't you?

If you do post them, do you take any other measures to protect the privacy of the blog or the photos?

I post pictures on my blog, lots of them...I do it because a secondary reason for blogging is the hope that someday my dd and ds's birthfamilies will come to the blog and read and see pictures.

The measures I take is psydomeums for both children and no references to where I live. I also attached it to a seperate blogger identity to the one that I use to comment on random blogs...I do use that blog id to comment on other adoption blogs and friends blogs.

Digital photos are subject to all sorts of mischief and alteration...and no matter how secure they 'tell' you it is, social networking sites are not banking computers...they are vulnerable to concerted hacking.

FWIW my perspective might be skewed by friends in law enforcement/sexual predator task force...

Digital photos are subject to all sorts of mischief and alteration...and no matter how secure they 'tell' you it is, social networking sites are not banking computers...they are vulnerable to concerted hacking.

FWIW my perspective might be skewed by friends in law enforcement/sexual predator task force...

:iagree:

*Exactly* that...including the perspective skewing friends.

Once it's there...it's there. If someone *lifts it* and takes it somewhere else and does something with it...well, too bad.

I also warn my kids about other kids taking their pics in times of just being silly. Anyone can post anything.

I don't know if you followed the evlogia blog thread (from a week or so ago; last post yesterday). Mary decided to shut down her blog for personal reasons. Because she had posted so many downloadable things, and because she's very generous, she announced that there would be two weeks for people to have access to the site to download things for their own private use at home. One of the only things she asked was that people NOT save/post things to the internet anywhere.

WELL! Apparently some people went a little nuts doing just this and she ended up closing down her site within just a few days. She found pictures of her kids and her personal blog posts on other peoples' sites/blogs, without any acknowledgment of the source for these things. In addition, someone hacked her account and stole/wiped out the content (2 years of hard work) of some of her project sites. SAD!

It's not hard to steal a photo and use it elsewhere. It's extremely easy as a matter of fact. At Christmas last year I put our Christmas letter on a website instead of sending it via email. Soon I got an email from a friend who himself was wondering about internet security (and is something of a 'puter whiz) -- he had searched my husband's and my name and came across a photo of us in an advertisement for a liquor store in the midwest! (The name of the liquor store had my real first name in it). It was a photo my son took 12 years ago that I liked, and that I had posted in one place on one of my family websites.

So if you post pics of your family on the web, know that they can and might be stolen and used elsewhere. If you're okay with that, then forge ahead! If not, keep them private.

Edited by milovaný

• 2 weeks later...
I'm comfortable having pictures of my children on my blog, but I don't post pictures of other people's children without their permission.

Yep. I don't post photos that include anyone else unless I have got their permission. I would also remove anything my kids didn't want on there if they asked.

As for security, I guess I'm pretty slack/naive/whatever, but it doesn't bother me much. I tend to figure that if someone is determined to commit id fraud or anything else nasty, they'd manage it somehow no matter what I do. eg what's to stop someone from taking photos of my kids walking down the street, and putting the pictures on the internet. They could easily watch which house the kids had come from to get our address, sneak a peek in our letterbox to find out our name, and then publish the photos complete with name, address and phone number! Or they could hack into my computer and take the photos straight from my photos folder. There are so many ways that info can get out to undesirable people. Do you update FB from your cell phone? That tells everyone you aren't at home right now.

Edited by Hotdrink

I have a blogspot blog (two now that the flat stanley things is up and running) and I have the privacy settings as high as they go. it is actually invite only. I like it that way - I can blog about DS and what we are doing, without it floating out there in cyberspace. I like that I can share it with friends and family as I see fit. As a result of it not being public, i do share a bit more, like all our great pics and our names.

I post photos, but ones that don't show what my kids really look like. I'll do my dd with her stage makeup on, or ds with his head turned - things like that. My pics are more about things we do and places we go. Some pics of the kids show faces, but I take out the html code that allows you to click to make it bigger. Sometimes I'll just put a real small picture. I tend to get creative with that, lol.

I post pics....lots of pics....on my blog.

I don't use my kids real names. I don't blog about daily schedules, when we'll be gone, etc. I blog about places we've been sometimes, but only when we return. I try not to mention our exact location.

On Facebook, I am VERY picky about who my friends are. Since I DO post about what I'm doing, etc, I'm very select about those on my friends list.

And about posting from your cell phone and someone knowing you are not home.....I post from home on my cell phone all the time. I don't sit at my computer a lot during the day, so I just pull out my phone.

I have a private invite only blog where I post actually pics of the kids for family to see, but only because we live overseas and don't see them very often. My public blog has no pics of my kids, just seems safer that way.

I post pictures of my kids and use their real names. I do not post pictures of other people's kids or use their names.

For instance: "My kids went to the zoo with a friend today." Then a picture of just my kids at the zoo.

I post pictures of my kids and use their first names. I won't post other people's kids without permission and even the pictures of my kids usually aren't the best. I don't do a lot of editing before posting them and it wouldn't be that easy to change them into something provacative. There are very few pictures of my oldest on there.

My blog isn't well visited and I live in an extremely well populated state so I'm not too worried. It would not be easy to find us IRL - I avoid any mention of what school my oldest goes to, don't show the letters on her cheer uniform, etc. Knowing dh's full name still wouldn't allow someone to find us since there are at least 6 people with his exact name living in our state. Like a pp, I'm more worried about someone following us home from the mall or grocery store.

We do not blog or facebook or whatever other forms there are. DH has a facebook account to check out who has posted photos of our kids. Though we're still not sure exactly how to do that.

We do have a yahoo group that is by approval only where we give lots of info for our family who lives far away or for the uncles in the military as they travel. But we feel that it is safe since you must sign up and be approved by us before you are able to view any info.

I post pictures. I don't have my exact location, just a general area, but I'm really not concerned. Someone who wanted to harm us is much more likely to follow us home from the grocery store than go through all the work of hunting us down.

I'm more careful about what I say than pictures. I don't post about daily routines, or say exactly where we live, and I'd never post that my daughter was home alone (or was going to be, or was in the past...).

Yep, this. I post pics of my kids on my livejournal site all the time. But I don't mention the town I live in, or my address, or my phone number, or my last name etc. I take my kids out in public in front of strangers all the time. If something were going to happen it'd be more likely to come from someone we come across in public than someone who sees a picture of my kids by chancing upon my homeschooling blog.

I post lots of photos on my blog. I don't have a problem with it. I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

Well, as I posted above, THIS is the problem with it (and why many people choose not to):

I don't know if you followed the evlogia blog thread (from a week or so ago; last post yesterday). Mary decided to shut down her blog for personal reasons. Because she had posted so many downloadable things, and because she's very generous, she announced that there would be two weeks for people to have access to the site to download things for their own private use at home. One of the only things she asked was that people NOT save/post things to the internet anywhere.

WELL! Apparently some people went a little nuts doing just this and she ended up closing down her site within just a few days. She found pictures of her kids and her personal blog posts on other peoples' sites/blogs, without any acknowledgment of the source for these things. In addition, someone hacked her account and stole/wiped out the content (2 years of hard work) of some of her project sites. SAD!

It's not hard to steal a photo and use it elsewhere. It's extremely easy as a matter of fact. At Christmas last year I put our Christmas letter on a website instead of sending it via email. Soon I got an email from a friend who himself was wondering about internet security (and is something of a 'puter whiz) -- he had searched my husband's and my name and came across a photo of us in an advertisement for a liquor store in the midwest! (The name of the liquor store had my real first name in it). It was a photo my son took 12 years ago that I liked, and that I had posted in one place on one of my family websites.

So if you post pics of your family on the web, know that they can and might be stolen and used elsewhere. If you're okay with that, then forge ahead! If not, keep them private.

Edited by milovaný

You can watermark your photos to prevent theft. If you use Windows Live Writer for blogging they make it really easy to do!

I don't have a problem with posting pictures on my blog or facebook. I enjoy digital scrapbooking and like to show my layouts to my family and friends.

You can watermark your photos to prevent theft. If you use Windows Live Writer for blogging they make it really easy to do!

I don't have a problem with posting pictures on my blog or facebook. I enjoy digital scrapbooking and like to show my layouts to my family and friends.

How does watermarking prevent theft? I'm not familiar with this. I can screen capture any photo and save it to my hard drive. Is it a mark on the photo? Does this prevent people from taking the photo and editing it with photo shop?

Why do you or don't you?

Why do you ask?

asta

How does watermarking prevent theft? I'm not familiar with this. I can screen capture any photo and save it to my hard drive. Is it a mark on the photo? Does this prevent people from taking the photo and editing it with photo shop?

It's a mark across the photo. It doesn't prevent copying, but it places another image or word across the picture- like your domain name so someone else can't claim it as their own.

Yes, it is a mark across the photo. Live Writer will put it in the center of photo. It is usually clear so it doesn't totally obstruct the photo but gives protection from someone claiming your photo as their own. You can place a copyright on it as well. They can still take it by right-click or screen shot but most won't because it is obvious that it is stolen.

As far as editing in photoshop goes, I'm not sure that anyone would take the time to do that unless they really want that specific photo. It's a tedious job to edit out a mark across the center of a photo. I think they will move on and take something that doesn't require work to use.

I don't watermark either. I suppose I should. But honestly my blog doesn't get enough attention. If you have a big following then it's a good idea.