Menu

Can you separate an actor from his/her politics & personal life (e.g. Mel Gibson)?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One can be intelligent and ignorant at the same time. They co-exist quite often!!

Like when people's Daddy's get them into Harvard and Yale when they had C and D grades?

Of course that leaves out the intelligent part.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

:lol::lol: As much as I loved Terminator, I don't it was you that killed that show. But I will warn my dh about The Closer, it's his favorite.

We love Brenda Leigh too. That's a great ensemble cast and the stories are good too.

I'm a little concerned - it's all we have left to watch now...;)

Our local cable channel has something called Retro TV and we gorge ourselves on Magnum PI, LA Law and even Adam 12 and Emergency. The plus side is - those are canceled already.

And I don't care how many degrees she has from Harvard - I think Natalie Portman was a lousy Padame. She might be smart as a whip but I hated her acting in that role. I burst out laughing when she was telling Anakin 'You're breaking my heart....' Doubt that's what Spielberg was looking for.

Now the 'yellow eyes' = Anakin evil is a whole other chuckle...

On the whole Star Wars thread - I still like Carrie Fisher - no matter what she says. I loved her in the Star Wars movies and When Harry Met Sally and the Blues Brothers.

Like when people's Daddy's get them into Harvard and Yale when they had C and D grades?

Of course that leaves out the intelligent part.

Bill

Well, at least we know some people's grades. Others,well,............:D

LOL! I think I saw that one. Just about spit my tea. :lol:
I didn't see the comment... but "When you pull the tab, the contents don't squirt in your face," is sig worthy.

That was just... bizarre. Does this mean the atheist's best friend is the artichoke?

I didn't see the comment... but "When you pull the tab, the contents don't squirt in your face," is sig worthy.

That was just... bizarre. Does this mean the atheist's best friend is the artichoke?

No, silly - atheists eat pineapple, which is obviously the devil's fruit since it is so tasty on the inside yet so prickly on the outside, too big to fit in the hand, not the right size to fit perfectly in a human's mouth, and no convenient pull tab.

No, silly - atheists eat pineapple, which is obviously the devil's fruit since it is so tasty on the inside yet so prickly on the outside, too big to fit in the hand, not the right size to fit perfectly in a human's mouth, and no convenient pull tab.

I was thinking of coconuts...or macadamia nuts. They are both pretty difficult to get into.

Ugh, so I just went to CNN -- one of my nightly news sources, and in the headlines section, I stumble across this tidbit

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/07/lindsay-lohan-wears-profane-manicure-in-court/?hpt=Sbin

Lindsay Lohan had the F word on her middle finger manicure during her court date yesterday. This is the kind of stuff that irks me. I want to love the early Lindsay movies. I do...but gosh, I watch Freaky Friday or The Parent Trap remake and just think of this crappola :001_huh:

As much as I'd like to agree and point to people like Reagan, Schwarzenegger and Fred Grandy, I don't think that politics is only the realm of professional politicians. I LIKE it when non-politicos take up an active part in politics -- up until they start losing their unique point of view and start becoming more and more like professional politicians.

If we say we want a country to be run by those representing a variety of walks of life, then why should actors be excluded from that variety? I don't think it's quite reasonable to say an actor or celebrity can't talk about their politics, but YOU can because you're not an actor/celebrity. Agree with them or disagree with them, but to say they shouldn't they be allowed to express their opinions, too, is simply unfair.

I agree with your point on non-politicos, people come from all walks of life to serve in politics in the US. That's a good thing -- that way we have doctors, businesspeople, etc. -- iow, not just more lawyers and professional politicians. Remember Miss Jane Klampet from the Beverly Hillbillies? She ran for something at one point. Al Franken and Jerry Springer have both been voted into office. Takes all kinds.

I agree with your point on non-politicos, people come from all walks of life to serve in politics in the US. That's a good thing -- that way we have doctors, businesspeople, etc. -- iow, not just more lawyers and professional politicians. Remember Miss Jane Klampet from the Beverly Hillbillies? She ran for something at one point. Al Franken and Jerry Springer have both been voted into office. Takes all kinds.

:iagree:

And lets not forget former wrestler - Jesse Ventura.

Ugh, so I just went to CNN -- one of my nightly news sources, and in the headlines section, I stumble across this tidbit

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/07/lindsay-lohan-wears-profane-manicure-in-court/?hpt=Sbin

Lindsay Lohan had the F word on her middle finger manicure during her court date yesterday. This is the kind of stuff that irks me. I want to love the early Lindsay movies. I do...but gosh, I watch Freaky Friday or The Parent Trap remake and just think of this crappola :001_huh:

She is so cracky . Seriously . The tears and hysteria were IMHO not faked, gf is afraid of withdrawal.

Natalie Portman, on David Letterman several years ago, went off on a *friend* of hers who was voting for Bush. She went on and on about the fact that this *friend* is a mom, with baby puke on her shoulder acting like she knew what she was talking about.
This intrigued me, so I tried to find it. Are you sure it was on Letterman? Of her appearances in 2004, there is the only episode in which she discusses the election: July 29, 2004. She has a "friend" who intends to vote for Bush, but there's no mention of babies or things that used to be inside babies. The discussion of politics starts at about 1:55, Bush in particular at 2:50.

Here are all her appearances on Letterman (from IMDB). If the reference above is to the 2000 election, she would have been 18. I presumed it wasn't from the 2008 election as Bush wasn't running.

Episode dated 24 November 1994 (24 November 1994) - Herself

Episode dated 1 February 1996 (1 February 1996) - Herself

Episode dated 28 November 1996 (28 November 1996) - Herself

Episode dated 24 November 1997 (24 November 1997) - Herself

Episode dated 21 May 1999 (21 May 1999) - Herself

Episode #7.43 (11 November 1999) - Herself - Guest

Episode dated 28 April 2000 (28 April 2000) - Herself

Episode dated 16 May 2002 (16 May 2002) - Herself

Episode dated 29 July 2004 (29 July 2004) - Herself

Episode dated 25 November 2004 (25 November 2004) - Herself

Episode dated 14 March 2006 (14 March 2006) - Herself

Episode #15.75 (27 February 2008) - Herself - Guest

Episode #16.38 (7 November 2008) - Herself - Guest

Episode #17.52 (25 November 2009) - Herself - Guest

Edited by nmoira
Typed the episode date wrong

This intrigued me, so I tried to find it. Are you sure it was on Letterman? Of her appearances in 2004, there is the only episode in which she discusses the election: July 29, 1994. She has a "friend" who intends to vote for Bush, but there's no mention of babies or things that used to be inside babies. The discussion of politics starts at about 1:55, Bush in particular at 2:50.

Why bother with facts, video footage or transcripts???? Apparently the world is flat and we simply missed the memo.

Why bother with facts, video footage or transcripts???? Apparently the world is flat and we simply missed the memo.
Well, it's still possible she said it on Leno or Conan.

One other thing that colors my POV is what people have told me about certain celebrities. Our circle is full of people who have met various politicians and celebrities through USO tours and such. I've only ever heard bad things about one celebrity, most of them (of all political stripes and persuasions) are kind and gracious.

IMO, celebrities should not use their status to push a particular agenda. Their field of expertise is not politics, but entertainment, so I have a hard time taking them seriously. I find myself wondering if they're just "playing a role". I feel that entertainers should entertain and leave the politics to the politicians.

I haven't read all the posts, but I can't help but wonder if the same could be said about actors like Tom Cruise and that kid from the '80's teen show-- Kirk something..... who use their celebrity to push religion? Not much difference in my mind.

astrid

Well, it's still possible she said it on Leno or Conan.

Portman apparently doesn't do Leno. And here are her

and
Conan appearances.

Daily Show 12/2003 and 08/2004

She didn't do Charlie Rose in 2003, 2004, or 2005

Via google, I found comments about her "Bush bashing" on the Letterman show I linked earlier, but nothing else. I've marked in red three other potential shows from 2004, aired either around the time of the election or just after it.

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" .... Herself (4 episodes, 1994-2008)

- Episode dated 28 February 2008 (2008) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 3 August 2004 (2004) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 19 December 2003 (2003) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 14 December 1994 (1994) TV episode .... Herself

"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" .... Herself (1 episode, 1996)

- Episode dated 22 February 1996 (1996) TV episode ....

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" .... Herself (4 episodes, 1999-2006)

... aka "The Daily Show" - USA (original title)

... aka "A Daily Show with Jon Stewart" - USA (new title)

... aka "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Global Edition" - International (English title) (cut version)

- Episode dated 15 March 2006 (2006) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 5 August 2004 (2004) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 18 December 2003 (2003) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 26 May 1999 (1999) TV episode .... Herself

"Charlie Rose" .... Herself (3 episodes, 1997-2006)

... aka "The Charlie Rose Show" - USA (original title)

- Episode dated 15 March 2006 (2006) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 27 January 2002 (2002) TV episode .... Herself

"Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show" .... Herself (1 episode, 2004)

- Episode dated 8 December 2004 (2004) TV episode ....

"This Morning" .... Herself (1 episode, 2004)

- Episode dated 7 December 2004 (2004) TV episode .... Herself

"The Oprah Winfrey Show" .... Herself (2 episodes, 1999-2004)

... aka "Oprah" - USA (short title)

- Episode dated 4 November 2004 (2004) TV episode .... Herself

- Episode dated 11 November 1999 (1999) TV episode .... Herself

"Good Morning America" .... Herself (1 episode, 2003)

... aka "G.M.A." - USA (promotional abbreviation)

- Episode dated 17 December 2003 (2003) TV episode .... Herself

"Live with Regis" .... Herself (1 episode, 2007)

... aka "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" - USA (original title)

... aka "Live with Regis & Kelly" - USA (new title)

- Episode dated 15 November 2007 (2007) TV episode .... Herself

Have you seen this gem then? It's a

thing. It's quite bizarre on its own, but so was the original.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20401003,00.html For fans of Mel. Charming.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/world-exclusive-audio-mel-gibsons-explosive-racist-rant-listen-it-here If you want to hear his vile rants. Do NOT listen with a child anywhere near. True colors.

well, now I'll be thinking of this bizarro behavior every time I see one of his movies. Thankfully I can't think of any movie of his I watch regularly or think is good enough to rewatch.

Although, wasn't he in some movie where he played some mentally unbalanced conspiracy theorist? I might want to rewatch that one.

well, now I'll be thinking of this bizarro behavior every time I see one of his movies. Thankfully I can't think of any movie of his I watch regularly or think is good enough to rewatch.

Although, wasn't he in some movie where he played some mentally unbalanced conspiracy theorist? I might want to rewatch that one.

Yes, Conspiracy Theory :D.

I can safely say "stick a fork in Mel. He is done." In our home, at least....

Edited by 3littlekeets