Menu

Guess what I found today?

A huge turtle. It was sitting in the middle of the road. I was riding my bike so I was able to stop and scoop it into my basket. I stopped by the tennis courts where DD is teaching and showed it to the lesson kids.

DS and I are going to take it to a farm pond and release it later this afternoon.

How exciting for me!!!

Where I live, folks from the parks dept suggest only putting them on the other side of the road...in the direction they were headed. We found huge one on a busy road once... and it was amazing it wasn't killed...and this is what we were told to do. They are wonderful creatures. We enjoyed looking at it before we set it on the other side of the road.

Where I live, folks from the parks dept suggest only putting them on the other side of the road...in the direction they were headed. We found huge one on a busy road once... and it was amazing it wasn't killed...and this is what we were told to do. They are wonderful creatures. We enjoyed looking at it before we set it on the other side of the road.

Well - I could have done that but it was pointed in the direction of the road and not a particular side. I could have flipped a coin or done eeny meeny miney mo.

OHHHHH!!!! My family would D.I.E. over that guy! My husband is still an 8yo boy when it comes to turtles and frogs!!! How big is it??

I would have relocated him too. It's just so dangerous on the road and a nice pond sounds lovely. Maybe he'll think it's his lucky day!:D

I don't know where you are Dragon Academy, but I know that here in Florida, it is illegal to move or relocate certain species of turtle. You just have to move them to the side of the road and them go on their merry way.

I'm in IL. I called the IDNR and asked what the law is. The receptionist did not know and the forestry office is closed.

I am looking on the website and the only information I can find is related to the Box turtle.

I'm in IL. I called the IDNR and asked what the law is. The receptionist did not know and the forestry office is closed.

I am looking on the website and the only information I can find is related to the Box turtle.

I think you did good! And, I know you, you wouldn't touch the critter till you had made numerous phone calls to determine if it was okay to move it.

Big pat on the back from the Big Penguin!:grouphug:

OHHHHH!!!! My family would D.I.E. over that guy! My husband is still an 8yo boy when it comes to turtles and frogs!!! How big is it??

I would have relocated him too. It's just so dangerous on the road and a nice pond sounds lovely. Maybe he'll think it's his lucky day!:D

The shell is 10.5 inches long and 88 inches wide.

He has been walking under the hostas in the backyard.

DS identified it as a red eared slider.

I found it on a frontage road about 25 yards off the highway. There is a pond about 1/4 mile down the road from the spot where I found so that is where DS and I are taking it. I hope it stays away from the roads. There are lots of people in our area who enjoy turtle soup.

I think you did good! And, I know you, you wouldn't touch the critter till you had made numerous phone calls to determine if it was okay to move it.

Big pat on the back from the Big Penguin!:grouphug:

Thanks for the support but in this case I moved it first and asked questions later. I hate to think of what could have happened to it once classes were dismissed and the students hightailed it down that road.

I bike that road and I have to be careful because the students speed without regard for anything.

Edited by The Dragon Academy

Thanks for the support but in this case I moved it first and asked questions later. I hate to think of what could have happened to it once classes were dismissed and the students hightailed it down that road.

I bike that road and I have to be careful becuase the students speed without regard for anything.

YIKES! Be careful! franklin-rides-a-bike.jpgI haven't been able to get the Franklin tune out of my head!

And, this is one goes out to The Dragon Academy:

:D Hey - there are no penguins in Franklin's forest.

Well, b/c it's a FOREST! But Franklin can vacation where there are Penguins!:D (of course, the bad version of that has Franklin [we should not have named your turtle, you know] ending up outside of a 7/11 near the ice machine!)

You bike on a road where cars are traveling 60 mph? :svengo:I bike to work, too, but it's only a mile. My admiration for you has just ramped several more notches.

It is totally cool that you saved the critter.

Well, thank you. The posted speed limit is only 35mph but...well, you know how it is when there is a straight road, no speed bumps and no police.

My trip is 4.4 miles each way. I love it, though. There are mulberry trees along the way and the mulberries are yummy.

I don't know where you are Dragon Academy, but I know that here in Florida, it is illegal to move or relocate certain species of turtle. You just have to move them to the side of the road and them go on their merry way.

:iagree: I was just going to post this. The state is really serious about enforcing this too. The reason being that some gopher tortoises can be infected with a respiratory disease that is incurable and the wildlife authorities don't want uninfected colonies of tortoises to become ill. The gopher tortoise is a threatened species in Fl. They say if we find one to just move it to the side of the road.

I'm quite certain the turtle won't turn you in. :D Nothing sadder than seeing a smooshed turtle on the road. WTG!

The turtle has been released. DS has his doubts about the pond, though. There were catfish traps on the water and he isn't sure the turtle will leave the bait alone. I figure the turtle has a better chance of survival there than if he had stayed on the road.

That is one gorgeous turtle! I had no idea a red ear slider could get that big...then again I am not a turtle expert. Here in AR they had a program to count turtles and if you found one you could go to the website and tell where you saw it. On that website ds and I learned that turtles live in a 1 square mile area their entire life. And if taken from that area they will kill themselves in an effort to get back to it. Not sure if that applies to all turtles or not but I was glad to hear you released it so close to where you found it....

Guest KaciMI

unfortunately most that I see are already dead from being run over. But... we see so many that I carry an old beach towel in the car. Toss it over the critter and pick it up and move it in the direction it was heading. The towel is because many of them are snappers!

Do I get a badge? Is there a secret handshake?:001_smile:

No, but I think you're required to almost flip your car while snapping back around on the highway and give everyone with you whiplash in the name of turtle rescue.

Better leave the kids home for a while.

No, but I think you're required to almost flip your car while snapping back around on the highway and give everyone with you whiplash in the name of turtle rescue.

I have done that in the past! The best one was when we lived in Southern CO. DH and I were driving down some back highway and these black things were scurrying across the road. DH and I whipped around to see what they were. We were thinking some kind of lizard migration or something. Migration was right but they were tarantulas. DH caught two of them and we watched the rest cross the road.

It was the wildest thing I have ever seen. FYI - we released them after we looked at them.

Why does it need to be relocated? I guess it doesn't need to be but I thought leaving it in the middle of the road where people were driving 60mph was wrong.

LOL yes out of the road would be nice. I just meant why move it out of the immediate area. :lol: I assume it lived where you found it.

I have done that in the past! The best one was when we lived in Southern CO. DH and I were driving down some back highway and these black things were scurrying across the road. DH and I whipped around to see what they were. We were thinking some kind of lizard migration or something. Migration was right but they were tarantulas. DH caught two of them and we watched the rest cross the road.

It was the wildest thing I have ever seen. FYI - we released them after we looked at them.

I think I would have peed my pants if I saw those things crossing the road!! :tongue_smilie::willy_nilly::eek::scared::svengo:

I've been all over their website today and even placed a call myself about the legality of possessing freshwater mussel shells, and I'm convinced that when it comes to wildlife, all that's legal is hunting, fishing, and swatting mosquitoes. You can shoot a rabbit with a license but don't even *think* about letting a kid pick up a tuft of rabbit fur from the ground.

After reading all that I figure that as a kid, probably half of everything I did that sparked my interest in biology was illegal. :001_rolleyes:

I think I would have peed my pants if I saw those things crossing the road!! :tongue_smilie::willy_nilly::eek::scared::svengo:

I think they are gorgeous. When we first moved to AR when I was 10 Mom would stop on the road and let us look at them. I don't want them crawling all over me or anything...but they are beautiful to me.

I think they are gorgeous. When we first moved to AR when I was 10 Mom would stop on the road and let us look at them. I don't want them crawling all over me or anything...but they are beautiful to me.

Ack!

Pam[mentally crossing off two more states where she will NEVER live. :D]

If you pick up a feather from a hawk around here it's illegal. Or if you shoot a poisonous snake.

Technically, if you pick up a feather or any other part from any migratory bird in the US, it's illegal unless you're have an appropriate permit or license (includes hunting licenses, when applicable). This includes private property. Some states go beyond and include some non-migratory game birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918

In Illinois the only birds not protected are pigeons, house sparrows, and starlings.

I found these today when I was searching:

http://dnr.state.il.us/education/CLASSRM/wildlifeintheclassrm041409.pdf

http://dnr.state.il.us/ESPB/2009%20Checklist%20FINAL%20for%20webpage%20October%2009a.pdf

Edited by Pippen

Technically, if you pick up a feather or any other part from any migratory bird in the US, it's illegal unless you're have an appropriate permit or license (includes hunting licenses, when applicable). This includes private property. Some states go beyond and include some non-migratory game birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918

In Illinois the only birds not protected are pigeons, house sparrows, and starlings.

I found these today when I was searching:

http://dnr.state.il.us/education/CLASSRM/wildlifeintheclassrm041409.pdf

http://dnr.state.il.us/ESPB/2009%20Checklist%20FINAL%20for%20webpage%20October%2009a.pdf

Am I breaking the law then when I clean up the carnage from the next door neighbor's dog eating a cardinal?

Am I breaking the law then when I clean up the carnage from the next door neighbor's dog eating a cardinal?

Well, *I'd* clean it up. :)

The laws are written in such extremes--I have no idea how close what's written in the law books is to what's enforced. I personally don't know anyone who's been challenged on practical issues such as you mention.

Well, *I'd* clean it up. :)

The laws are written in such extremes--I have no idea how close what's written in the law books is to what's enforced. I personally don't know anyone who's been challenged on practical issues such as you mention.

With the state of IL looking at ways to increase income they might begin enforcing these laws. I can see it now. IL State troopers patroling the neighborhoods looking for remnants of birds and illegal turtle tranpsortion.

Heck, they could have fined me twice this week.:001_smile:

First, thanks for saving the turtle.:)

Our beloved pet is an African spur-thighed tortoise (sulcata). Sulcatas don't swim; they are land tortoises. Almost everyone who meets our tort thinks he is a turtle. He's about 12 lbs. and a foot long. He would also drown if he was put in a pond or any water above his head. We do fill a baby wading pool with a couple inches of water and he loves to play in it occasionally.

You might wonder how attached you can get to a tortoise. The answer is VERY. We absolutely adore our tort. He is a member of the family just like most pets. I would never have believed that tortoises have such personality. We have raised him since he was a hatchling. He has his favorite people, activities, and needs human interaction. When I garden, he will follow me around the yard. He loves to crawl under a "bridge" you make by straddling your legs. Sometimes he is positively human in his reactions to things!

Earlier in the spring we had a panic because he burrowed out of his habitat. He was gone overnight. We were so upset. As I made "Lost Tort" posters that evening, all I could think of was that some child who didn't know him would find him and "helpfully" toss him back into one of the many ponds in our immediate vicinity. The thought of him drowning was more than I could bear.

Happily, he is a creature of habit. We waited until his usual wakeup time in the morning and then went out to look in every grassy area around (it was grazing time). And we did find him, almost 1/4 mile away, happily grazing and navigating the perimeter of a house. (typical sulcata behavior!)

With the state of IL looking at ways to increase income they might begin enforcing these laws. I can see it now. IL State troopers patroling the neighborhoods looking for remnants of birds and illegal turtle tranpsortion.

Heck, they could have fined me twice this week.:001_smile:

Well, you might consider changing your story so that it was your under 16 child moved that turtle. ;) And I'll be advised to be on the lookout for the Conservation Police looking to collect the $25 fines from children who've found robin feathers in their yards.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tell my daughter that she'll have to buy feathers on ebay for her 4-H nature study project. And after that I think I'll enroll her in the state's No Child Left Outdoors program to help her connect with nature. http://dnr.state.il.us/LNCI/:001_rolleyes:

BTW, just in case you were wondering, I also learned yesterday that there's no limit to the number of roadkill deer you can possess. :tongue_smilie:

http://dnr.state.il.us/Law3/roadkill.htm