Menu

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I FINISHED!!! Well, reading the thread that is. :ohmy: All 665 posts!!! wow.

Thanks everyone for posting.

I used the rolling office cart from Office Depot (think crate on wheels) for a very simplified system and thought that's what I would use again for my new, and improved system...no one seems to have mentioned them though. Would it not work? I'm wondering if there is a snag I haven't thought of with it.

Thank you for the FLL check-off sheet! I love it!!!

Quick AAS question now...does it come with the check off sheets? Or do we have to print them up? I'm low on ink right now so only want to print what I have to LOL.

YES!! AAS does come with the progress sheets, but some people have bought it off the for sale/swap board and sometimes they aren't included. The ones that come with the program are on nice sturdy cardstock, and they also come with cute little certificates when they are finished.

No actually I filed all of them. I took the number of weeks in our school year and what I want them to complete by the end and divided that to find out how many lessons we would need to complete in a week. I think it ended up being 2 or 3 lessons per week. Then I took pages from those lessons and filed them.

So for Alpha, we need to do 2 lessons per week (I am not sure of the numbers because my files aren't right here). For week 1 I put lessons 1 and 2. THen I put about 4 pages and the test for each lesson in the file.

Then all the extras are filed in a notebook. If we need more worksheets I can easily pull them out for that lesson. If they "get" it and don't need all the worksheets I then put them back in the notebook with all the extra sheets.

Does that make sense?

Oh! Ok, I get it now, thanks for the additional explanation. :)

A friend that lives overseas just told me about a book supplier that ships for free all over the World. The website is bookdepository.com. I just sent a small order through and saved quite a bit of money. You need to price shop but it is worth looking into. I hope this helps a little with some of the shipping woes ;).

Thanks for that!!! I see a few things I was going to get ebooks for, that I'd like in hardcopy instead(IG or Texts). I'll save that for later.

Hehe... so yesterday, I started tackling my school space. It went well. The desk it tidy again. The shelf is 1/2 way there!

I'm really amazed at how many books we have! I had to put away a file box of curriculum!!! And I've only been doing this a few months! EEEEKKK... That said, 1/2 is for this year, but not tackling it yet. The other 1/2 is from dd11 that we will save for dd6. So not an over purchase of curric.....YET. I can see how easy it will be to do though. Hopefully with the file system it'll keep me focused and on track. I have made myself NOT look up new curricula or read the threads, unless I am actively looking for something. That causes a case of "am I doing the right thing with the stuff I have".

SOOOO..... off to work I go!!!!

I have an expedit for my scrapbooking, and 2 small ones (2x2) as night stands.

I have a different Ikea shelf and use book ends... so I can take books out and not have everything topple over on that too..lol.... A $2.54 fix per shelf. :lol:

I LOVE the expedit.

Thank you. The maps.com website you linked seems to have one close to the size I was looking for but I am not prepared to pay $30 for the laminated ones when I only paid about $7.50 each at Rainbow (they now have them for $10 I think) for the World and USA ones we have. I guess I will keep looking for now ;). If you like I can let you know if I find one. I wish there was one like the ones we have but I have not found one so far.

I bought some at CHER... here's the link to their maps. (I live in Calgary, so I can just drive to the store).

I have also seen them at Staples. Are you in canada or the states?

Thank you. The maps.com website you linked seems to have one close to the size I was looking for but I am not prepared to pay $30 for the laminated ones when I only paid about $7.50 each at Rainbow (they now have them for $10 I think) for the World and USA ones we have. I guess I will keep looking for now ;). If you like I can let you know if I find one. I wish there was one like the ones we have but I have not found one so far.

Here is one from Edmonton:

http://www.mapamia.com/canada-political-wall-p-263.html

Don't know where you are, but they are IN Edmonton or online.

ETA: Sorry everyone for the off topic posts :tongue_smilie:

The thread is 69 pages long....the only people who have managed to get this far are probably enjoying the conversation....LOL!!!:lol:

I'll add that I'm very excited that I have so much filing done. I got my library pockets, and have index cards listing all the dvd's and books I need for each week, and which major craft comes that week. I'm going to paste #1 and #2 in week 1's folder, and then from there on have #3 in week 2's folder, etc so I have the card with the stuff I need to get for the following week. :) I just got Song School Latin today and need to copy that for the other child, and file. I have Spanish coming this week, and my Rainbow Resource box Monday so I think I can finish up this week. I'm not filing all the crafty stuff just yet, just the first several weeks of one about half of the other just to be sure we are going to enjoy the projects before I make a ton more copies and do all the work. I'm very, very happy to have at least this much done. This thread is truly a lifesaver!!!!!

Edited by truebluexf

Nicole - Good job on the file cabinet! I so love a bargain!

I'm torn on either just doing 3x5 cards on each hanging file or my own file. I have the cards paper clipped on the hanging files, but they do fall off pretty easy. So, get the library envelope things or do my own file. I'm thinking recipes, TM stuff, etc....

Catholicmommy - I liked your description of the filing system on your blog. I've tried to explain it to other people. You did a much better job! ; )

OK, talking out loud here - Should I put my TOG sheets in the file? I could put the SAP answer sheets. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

In the unlikely even that anyone is still reading this, I wanted to throw out a couple ideas.

We're using the Meet the Great Composers workbooks this year; they cover one composer and one musical concept or instrument per unit. We'll do one / week, and make a timeline. The workbooks come with CDs with samples of the music, but there isn't a lot there for each composer. We own tons of CDs, but don't listen to them often anymore, but I dug out relevant works and tossed them into the folders along with the worksheets. I have access to Naxos online, so for the composers I didn't have CDs for, I copied the links to the Naxos file I would need and put it into my iCal. I also put the timeline figures for the composers into the files. We're using the Beautiful Feet composers timeline, but not their program.

Here's the Composers workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Meet-Great-Composers-Book-Learning/dp/0882848550

Also, I've mentioned in another thread here that we make cards similar to the VP cards. I print images from Amy Pak's timeline CD or blackline images from a Google search onto cardstock, four / page. I round the corners with one of those craft corner cutter doohickeys. We write notes on the back and use them like you would notecards, to quiz each other about famous people or events. This year I put cards into the files of each author we're reading.

I also contemplated putting our Teaching Company DVDs in the files, but then I realized that's just silly. :)

In the unlikely even that anyone is still reading this, I wanted to throw out a couple ideas.

We're using the Meet the Great Composers workbooks this year; they cover one composer and one musical concept or instrument per unit. We'll do one / week, and make a timeline. The workbooks come with CDs with samples of the music, but there isn't a lot there for each composer. We own tons of CDs, but don't listen to them often anymore, but I dug out relevant works and tossed them into the folders along with the worksheets. I have access to Naxos online, so for the composers I didn't have CDs for, I copied the links to the Naxos file I would need and put it into my iCal. I also put the timeline figures for the composers into the files. We're using the Beautiful Feet composers timeline, but not their program.

Here's the Composers workbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Meet-Great-Composers-Book-Learning/dp/0882848550

Also, I've mentioned in another thread here that we make cards similar to the VP cards. I print images from Amy Pak's timeline CD or blackline images from a Google search onto cardstock, four / page. I round the corners with one of those craft corner cutter doohickeys. We write notes on the back and use them like you would notecards, to quiz each other about famous people or events. This year I put cards into the files of each author we're reading.

I also contemplated putting our Teaching Company DVDs in the files, but then I realized that's just silly. :)

Nicole, thanks for reminding me that I had this great music book. Music is the last thing on my list to plan this year. I am working on making my timeline cards like you mentioned. I figure we will get way more mileage out of the figures done this way then just on the time line.

This thread has some wonderful ideas. My filing system is not nearly so glamorous. I still use the same system from Sonlight that I used in the early years: a current binder that contains 4 tabs with the number of the next 4 weeks on them. Behind each tab are the papers and the schedule I will need for the week. Anything that can't be hole-punched goes in a page protector. Another large binder contains the remaining weeks of the year and the coordinating work, while a third binder contains the finished weeks.

How about these:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod2330171&history=d0hnilqw|prodPage~15^freeText~hanging+file+project+case^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

I've seen them at WallyMart, but couldn't find them online to link. At first I didn't think I needed one, but now that I am cleaning up my workstation (coffee table) for the afternoon, I'm thinking one might not be so bad.

I have been following this thread but first time posting.

I had bought just 1 crate to file the 36 weeks of hanging folders and in each I put the 4 kids folders plus 1 folder for me. Well I just finished filing their papers and there is NOOOOO way just one crate will work. Its going to be more like 4, one for each quarter. And I think I will get an additional crate for my teacher manuals. Boy this is a lot of work!

I had bought just 1 crate to file the 36 weeks of hanging folders and in each I put the 4 kids folders plus 1 folder for me. Well I just finished filing their papers and there is NOOOOO way just one crate will work. Its going to be more like 4, one for each quarter. And I think I will get an additional crate for my teacher manuals. Boy this is a lot of work!

:iagree:I agree it's a LOT of work. i'm up to my eyeballs in curriculum, but I'll be happy when I'm all done and organized for the year. Next year, i'm going to start organizing things in may and NOT in august :D

:iagree:I agree it's a LOT of work. i'm up to my eyeballs in curriculum, but I'll be happy when I'm all done and organized for the year. Next year, i'm going to start organizing things in may and NOT in august :D

No kidding! I had all sorts of vague notions for the things I was planning to do with my Ker this year, but I wasn't going to write lesson plans for her. Well, this new system has forcibly mobilized me into doing that, which is a good thing, but...wow! SO much more work than I was expecting to be doing this August. Thankfully, I hadn't planned for any of our new things to start until late September anyway. Now if I could just shake loose of this freelance work, I'll be completely free to finish!

I was doing so well, and then I got sick, and now I need to find the motivation to finish. I am so glad I did the first six weeks for all subjects ... we are in week 3 and it's nice having it all done. But, I still need to do Latin and science, and technically art, but that's only writing down on my weekly plans what supplies we need for that week's lesson. I'm overwhelmed with Latin and science though, especially science as I have to decide which labs we are going to do, which books I want to read for the week, and a lot of photocopying. Latin will be a lot of photocopying too. So, next week I hope to finish those two subjects, which will have the year done. :)

I still need manilla folders inside my hanging files though. I was going to just use paper clips (which I still have), but there's enough in there that I think I need to separate things by folders - one for each boy (at least the older two for now - ds#3 is a little more free-flowing in terms of what we do during the week - I try and do something dealing with letters, numbers, and motor skills, but we have a lot of things to use and I go with his interest on any given day), and one each for science, Latin, history, and US history.

It took two crates for me with 4 kids. I haven't done files for me, yet. ;) I may still. I got my 2nd crate with a lid, since I will be storing it in the garage. My first crate is the open $3 kind from Wal-Mart. I went ahead and put week one in their binders. I'm loving this system. I'm still not done but very close. I'm still too afraid of having to tweak too much to write too many weekly lesson plans. I think there will be some learning/adjustment time in the beginning.

No kidding! I had all sorts of vague notions for the things I was planning to do with my Ker this year, but I wasn't going to write lesson plans for her. Well, this new system has forcibly mobilized me into doing that, which is a good thing, but...wow! SO much more work than I was expecting to be doing this August. Thankfully, I hadn't planned for any of our new things to start until late September anyway. Now if I could just shake loose of this freelance work, I'll be completely free to finish!

Exactly that. I had no idea how much I relied on "vague notions" for the year and lists of books. No wonder we never got as much done as I wanted to. It IS a lot of work. Now or later. But later will never work in my case.

Slogging along here too. The slower parts are *gasp* actual planning and not having all my curriculum and books in hand. Getting there, though, and I'm pushing because my deadline is coming up (Aug. 23rd). I swear though, I was almost crying the other day saying," I want some time off before school starts." Lol. But I know I'm going to appreciate this so much this year.

Slogging along here too. The slower parts are *gasp* actual planning and not having all my curriculum and books in hand. Getting there, though, and I'm pushing because my deadline is coming up (Aug. 23rd). I swear though, I was almost crying the other day saying," I want some time off before school starts." Lol. But I know I'm going to appreciate this so much this year.

even if you only get half of what you wanted done ahead of time you will still be way ahead of where you would be if you hadn't started.

I know what you mean though. I was flopped on my bed with a good novel yesterday in protest of homeschool planning !! I understand why moms start thinking of the following year before they are even done the one they are working on. I'm such a procrastinator that I've never done that, and then I waste my august trying to get organized for the next year. It's a lot more work this year now that I have three to teach and two who are ready to learn their letters in preK4 (twins).

(and I just found out i'm expecting baby number seven in APRIL!! :D so I guess I'm really glad that I am filing this year or who knows if we'd ever finish)

I was doing so well, and then I got sick, and now I need to find the motivation to finish. I am so glad I did the first six weeks for all subjects ... we are in week 3 and it's nice having it all done. But, I still need to do Latin and science, and technically art, but that's only writing down on my weekly plans what supplies we need for that week's lesson. I'm overwhelmed with Latin and science though, especially science as I have to decide which labs we are going to do, which books I want to read for the week, and a lot of photocopying. Latin will be a lot of photocopying too. So, next week I hope to finish those two subjects, which will have the year done. :)

YaY! you're almost done!!

Remember don't fret too much about it being perfect. Do the parts that you know you'll be SO GLAD to have done and leave the rest for when you have more time... like finding library books etc... you can always do that on the fly. Lots of times I make up these great lists for library books and then when I go to pick them up, i find all these other really great ones too and we never get to half of them because there are too many of them LOL.

My files are complete for most of the year (I am leaving math options open for dd5's last half of the year.) We just finished our first "filed" week and it went VERY well!:001_smile:

I put the 1st 12 weeks into individual 3-prong folders (the rest are in manilla file folders, divided by 6 week chunks in green hanging folders). ds7 has blue folders, dd5 has pink, and ds4 has green. Each day's work is paper-clipped and we un-clip as we go each day. There is something very satisfying seeing that folder completed as the week rolls on. I put fun extras in the back folder pocket so the dc can pull out a dot-to-dot or coloring page while waiting for mom to finish a lesson with a sibling.

This ROCKS!!! I no longer feel like I'm short-changing my younger dc in favor of working intensely with ds7! I can look and see what we've done and breathe:chillpill:...and break out the play-doh! I think this will help tame the urge to push as much as it will keep me from slacking!

Now, I can put away the completed folders, clean up our HS space and look forward to new clean folders on Monday!:D

btw - dh told me this was a great idea...and I should start a thread about it :lol::lol::lol:

(and I just found out i'm expecting baby number seven in APRIL!! :D so I guess I'm really glad that I am filing this year or who knows if we'd ever finish)

Congratulations!!!!:lol:

The only thing I have left to do right now is Latin and Spanish. Need to make Latin copies, and I think I will just leave Spanish in the workbooks, they are small anyway. I'm saving the rest of the paper crafts and such til a couple months in, to make sure we enjoy doing them enough before I spend all my time getting them ready. ;) I'm pretty darn happy with what I've done though, it's ten times more than I've ever planned before!!!!!

I did the filing system, had our first week, and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I did it.:thumbup: Thanks to all those who commented here and inspired many of us to bring order and peace to our lives!

I posted about my system on my blog if anyone wants to see pictures and read how I'm implementing it. The link is in my signature.

Oh, it is so good to hear this guys!

I think what's made it slow here mainly is not deciding early enough on curriculum and getting it here soon enough. Lesson learned. I am already mentally preparing for next year. No kidding. I will not be ordering everything in July and August like this year.:tongue_smilie:

Each thing that gets filed is HUGE for me. I know I am miles ahead of myself for any other year. And even the things that aren't filed, I am much clearer on what/how I will be using these because of the filing process.