Menu

In terms of RETENTION, what subject(s)...

jenL

do you feel is/are an absolute must to continue over the summer?

I'm asking because I worry about my ds "losing" information and us having to spend unnecessary time in the fall reviewing. I'm thinking we'll continue with math practice, but is there something else I should be worrying about?

Thanks!

My son has struggled with spelling something fierce, so I'll give him a few of his previous AAS word lists each week.

A smidge of math practice, just a few problems representing various skills he had trouble remembering

He'll keep a summer journal.

I'll let him choose one journal entry a week to rewrite in his best handwriting.

We're going to implement a daily pleasure reading time. This is long overdue!

As you can see by the subjects I'm choosing to continue through the summer, my son's weakness is Language Arts. I mainly want to keep him brushed up in the areas that tend to be most easily forgotten by him. I intend for all of this to get done in about 2 hours per week. My goal isn't really to move forward in our studies. I just don't want to move backwards ;).

My son, who is taking an active part in his education all of a sudden, is worried about losing math, writing, and grammar skills, and he wants to do a 'review test' of spelling in the 'middle of summer break.' I'm most worried about math and writing but will happily go along with the rest if he wants!

I think so much of it depends on the child. When my children were younger, we always dropped everything except for reading. But our breaks were rarely over two months long. My oldest never had a problem picking back up in math the following year.

Now, my youngest dd will forget math as soon as you close the book. So I may have to do some math through games this summer break with her.

And we always intended to continue with foreign language, but it just never happened. Maybe this summer, if we do indeed, have a break at all. We have had quite a year so far and we are running behind in some areas. Now that I am working, they might as well do some school if they can. I am thinking that if we do have a break, it will be short. We may also take a beach vacation late in the summer like last year, so I want to keep that fact in mind.

Anyway, read, read, read is my answer. (the library program for summer reading is always good) And math/ music/ foreign language if you have to, but make it fun. :tongue_smilie:

We've been okay dropping everything over the summer. We did listen to our Latin chant CD last summer, and I'll try to do that again this summer. The girls read continually so that isn't a problem. I see how math could be a problem, but don't assume that it will be. We've been able to take a break and start right back where we left off--no regression.

I'm a ditto on the math and reading. I also like to have daily public speaking practice where they read, standing to the rest of us an excerpt from either history or science. We go in chronological order to review science and history before the next year begins.

This summer, I've also gone game crazy, so we'll be playing:

rising K: Go Fish, Crazy 8 Memory, Dominos, Sorry, Word Madness

LG:

Grammar bingo, Beall's phonics, Elemento (practice chemistry we learned), a States activity WB, Spelling City (any week they choose), Geosafari, Math (Holey Cards, Yahtzee, Speed Drills, Board races (dice game) An Australia game we created in history.

UG/D/R

Coodju, Latin Rummy, True Science & Elemento (both chemistry), Set, Quidler, Scrabble (English and Latin)< word Madness, Presidents Memory, Yahtzee

That's about 3 hours of school each morning, done by lunch and off to play 'til 8pm! Summer sleep...in bed by 10 for the Elders and 9 for the Little League :)

Thank you everyone! I was planning on doing math 2-3x/wk in a formal way (worksheet, flash cards, etc) while playing games here and there throughout the summer.

I'm also going to implement reading each day with a focus on reading aloud to me about 2x/wk so he can maintain his fluency.

I'll also probably randomly administer short spelling "tests" or play games such as Upwords or Scrabble. I'm worried about this subject the most because it has been his hardest subject all year.