Menu

My DD has sensitive skin, what about sun screen?

My friend has this same issues with both of her children and she has tried them all...she went to the dermatologist and they gave her some sunscreen that is hypoallergenic. One for the face (that wont burn the eyes in stick form) and then one that is a lotion. I can get the name for it if youd like. Im not sure if you can purchase it over the counter or through a doc only.

For the last 2 years I have been getting progressively worse reactions (rashes, hives etc) from chemical sunscreens. I've tried changing brands, changing some of the active ingredients etc etc & in the end, all I can use on my face is the physical barrier/non-chemical screen. (I can still use some chemical ones on the rest of my body...)

My current one is from Paula's Choice - Pure Mineral Sunscreen.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/pure-mineral-sunscreen-spf-15/sun-care

I'm happy with it :-)

I'm going to have to try that Neutrogena sunscreen--and maybe look into the Burt's Bees stuff also. Is there any such thing as a sunscreen that does not sting when it gets in your eyes? It always gets in my eyes.

I am a fair-skinned redhead (strawberry blond now that I'm older) as well. I tend to wear a long sleeve white cotton oxdord type shirt (swiped from dh) and a hat when doing yardwork. I'm still sunburned!

We've had good luck with Badger, though it's a sun block, not a sun screen. Until last year, everything else made my youngest break out.

I broke out in terrible hives last year from Banana Boat sunscreen. My doctor said their are some ingredients that you can be allergic to.

Just the other day I was watching the news and they had a doctor on talking about allergies to sunscreen. You need to go for allergy testing (skin patch) to find out which ingredient you are allergic to.

The doctor on TV did mention that you could try pure zinc oxide if you are sensitive to sunscreen.

I have since just tried to stay covered up.

We use mineral, rather than chemical, sunscreens now. I've been very happy with California Baby (available at Target in the baby aisle, next to the diaper creams, not with the other sunscreens). It's expensive, but you need use only a tiny bit, so it lasts much longer than the chemical stuff (that you could easily use up in a day or two).

This the best thread!!! I always thought I was alone in this. I have THE MOST SENSITIVE face. Makeup, saline solution, sunscreen, you name it!!! I even get horrible reactions when I do laundry and can't get all the stain remover from my hands and then touch my face hours later. I just never go outside in the high sun hours. I will try these ideas for sunscreen. Do you have any ideas for makeup??

Lara

Wow -- I have found the best! It doesn't leave me with silver skin either (as most physical sunscreens do).

It's Blue Lizard for Sensitive Skin. I bought mine at CVS Pharmacy, but you can order it online. I tried Burt Bees and California Baby, and I disliked both.

Oh, and my mineral makeup goes on just fine after I put the sunscreen on.

PS-- I did not become allergic to chemical sunscreens until I was in my early 30's. My face reacts to ANY chemical sunscreen. My arms and legs are fine with it, but not my face and neck.

Edited by nestof3

Wow -- my husband works outside all day (lawn maintenance), so there's no way he could do that without sunscreen.

Then, he takes the boys out for hours on the jet ski in the summer, and though they don't go out until around 2 or 3 pm, they still need sunscreen. Ben got sunburned on his neck watching planes at an air show the other weekend. He was outside for three hours, and though my husband put sunscreen on his face, he forgot his neck. His neck was very burned. :glare: He wore John's wide-brimmed hat for a while too.

So, do you just stay inside during the day?

We live in a hot dry climate, we are all fair skinned, and we manage to get through every summer without sunscreen.

The Neutrogena stings me like crazy, and the Burt Bees is sticky and leaves a silver hue.

I'm going to have to try that Neutrogena sunscreen--and maybe look into the Burt's Bees stuff also. Is there any such thing as a sunscreen that does not sting when it gets in your eyes? It always gets in my eyes.

I am a fair-skinned redhead (strawberry blond now that I'm older) as well. I tend to wear a long sleeve white cotton oxdord type shirt (swiped from dh) and a hat when doing yardwork. I'm still sunburned!

Wow -- my husband works outside all day (lawn maintenance), so there's no way he could do that without sunscreen.

Then, he takes the boys out for hours on the jet ski in the summer, and though they don't go out until around 2 or 3 pm, they still need sunscreen. Ben got sunburned on his neck watching planes at an air show the other weekend. He was outside for three hours, and though my husband put sunscreen on his face, he forgot his neck. His neck was very burned. :glare: He wore John's wide-brimmed hat for a while too.

So, do you just stay inside during the day?

We are the same way. I would( and have) burn to a crisp if I went outside without sun protection. I do stay out of the sun as much as possible but the kids like to play outside.

We live in a hot dry climate, we are all fair skinned, and we manage to get through every summer without sunscreen.

:iagree:

My kids wear rash tops for swimming, and we all wear hats. We stay out of the sun in the middle of the day, and go swimming after 3 pm. when the sun isn't as intense. We hardly ever get burnt.

The only time my kids wear sunscreen is if we are going canoeing, the reflection of the water is terrible. mostly they wear zinc.

my ds 16 has started wearing sunscreen last summer, as he is on medication that has made him very sun sensitive.

Just found Trader Joes zinc oxide sunscreen and she is doing fine with it. $5.99

Used to be able to use something I got at Walmart in a small tub for faces 40 spf but I can't remember the name of it now. It is a small white jar and says faces on it. ~$5

I do agree about minimizing sunscreen usage whenever practical. But for many people (lifestyle, skin type), having *some* sort of sunscreen available is very important. My family can get away with very little, but we don't burn particularly easily.

Thanks for starting this discussion. Two of my daughters are highly allergic to most sunscreens. One gets really itchy and one breaks out. The only sunscreen that they have been able to use is made by Clinique. I don't buy the face kind (in the teeny, tiny tube). They are both able to tolerate the body version (even on their faces). I'm concerned using this product after reading the sunscreen study but we haven't found anything else that they can use. I'll be following this discussion. Thanks again!

The Neutrogena stings me like crazy, and the Burt Bees is sticky and leaves a silver hue.

Ah. Well, so much for that. I am pasty white and definitely do not need to be any more reflective. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for saving me some money. :thumbup1:

I picked up some California Baby at Target this afternoon that I can't wait to try. It doesn't smell bad and I rubbed a bit into the back of my hand and it didn't feel greasy, nor was it difficult to rub in, and I don't think it left me with that pasty hue that is common to mineral sunblocks.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there. I have the Neutrogena Pure/Free and don't care for it (plus the ingredients...). Target had several other natural brands in the baby aisle to choose from including Burt's Bees, Say Yes to Carrots (I think that's the brand...), Weleda Baby, Method, etc.

You probably all know this already, but because sunscreens are usually waterproof, when you get them in your eyes it will not help to rinse with water. Keep a small bottle with a little olive oil or vegetable oil in it and dab around your eyes with the oil. Instant relief!

The children and I are all very sun sensitive (I have red hair they have blond and we are all very pale). One year I bought organic sunblock from Alba Botanica that we liked. It smelled nice but it did leave the sheen - I prefer the sheen to bright red and burning :)

I am going to head to Target to look for some natural brands because I am finished with my last bottle. I have heard great things about Burt's Bees and Badger Balm sunscreens.

We have homeschool park day every Tuesday and we purchased a dome umbrella at Costco that I set up and the littlest and I sit under and all the other kids can come and sit under when they need to. Originally another friend of mine had one and loaned it to us when the littlest had mild sunstroke from being out in the sun too long. It has SPF 50 and provides shade. Several other mums have the tents now too - we are like our own tent city!