Menu

Which of James Michener's books have you read?

I have read a lot of Michener, I love historical fiction. Centennial was probably my least favorite but still worth reading. My all time favorite Michener is Space. I don't keep a lot of books after I read them but Space is still on my shelf.

Teaxs was the first Michener I read, it is a great story. Alaska is also very good.

Any thoughts on his writing style?

Thorough. :)

I haven't read him in a long time, but when I was in my 20s, he was one of my favorites authors.

Books of his that I still recall reading:

Kent State: What Happened and Why

Sports in America (probably a dated read at this point)

Sayonara

Chesapeake

Caribbean

I have read most of his books. My favorite was Alaska, followed by Chesapeake. The one about South Africa was also good, can't remember the name,(read it ages ago). I was excited when Texas came out, but then was so bummed because I did not like it.

someone that writes in the same style is Edward Rutherfurd. He wrote Sarum and London. Both are really good. I just read New York and loved it.

I read Centennial ages ago, and Hawaii just last year.

Hawaii was VERY good. I love historical fiction, and it is the best I've read.

Michener's writing is very detailed (to say the least!) but so interesting.

My grandfather knew Michener. :)

I read Hawaii, South Pacific, Centennial, Chesapeake (maybe one more?... Possibly Poland) during my high school & early college years. Enjoyable books... I need to read more of his work!

Yes, very detailed. ;)

My grandfather met him in Tahiti while he/Michener was doing research for (I assume) South Pacific. My grandparents were among the only English speakers there at the time, so they spent some time together... From the stories I remember, anyway!! It's been a while. :tongue_smilie:

The Source is one of my favorite books.

:iagree:

I still think about the stories in that book. Favorite out of all authors.

It was hard to get into at first. I tried reading it several times over the years before I actually got past the first chapter, but then I couldn't put it down.