Menu

What, is it Pick on Bill week?

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Noooooooo, not a tilde. Don't mess with my world.

Totally unrelated, but you might appreciate this: my 5yo (who is digging MEP) picked up a couple sticks while we were walking home a few days ago, and carried them in a "V" with the farther ends touching. She stopped, pointed the sticks at some stairs, "I am GREATER THAN the stairs." "I am GREATER THAN that dog." "I am GREATER THAN the sky." etc. etc. We were almost home, and she turned the sticks toward me. She didn't say anything, but there was definite smirk.

:lol::lol::lol:

I have just come across 4 different threads picking on him this week and wondered. The thread where you signed your names the same was gentle for the most part.

HUH???:001_huh:?????

~~Faithe (who uses tildes all the time...and parentheses and these cute little dots...... <whatever they are called>)

Edited by Mommyfaithe

:D

That's squarely in I'm-scared-to-ask territory. This is a child who told me that for her sixth birthday she wants an inflatable dungeon, but was adamant that it must be reusable. No disposable inflatable dungeons for my little girl.

hahaha...my ds asked for a lego set and a flame thrower....:lol:

~~Faithe

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I'm inventing a new math thing around toilet paper rolls. I don't have all the kinks worked out, but I'll keep you posted :D

Bill (who prefers brackets to tildes)

:smilielol5:

Thanks.

What's so funny? ;) I use toilet paper toots to teach place value by ringing a strip of digits and then adding strips until we can read up to 10,000. You can go further on paper towel tubes. I use them to teach area and volume of cylinders and can"t wait to read what Bill comes up with.

~~Faithe

What's so funny? ;) I use toilet paper toots to teach place value by ringing a strip of digits and then adding strips until we can read up to 10,000. You can go further on paper towel tubes. I use them to teach area and volume of cylinders and can"t wait to read what Bill comes up with.

~~Faithe

I've never considered myself math challenged, but maybe I am "toilet paper roll" challenged. Or maybe I'm just not up to this "new conceptual math" :D.

I would ask you to post a picture, but I am definitely camera challenged, so I would never be so forward - it would be the equivalent of asking you to bake a 7 layer cake - who has time?

Lynn (who's leaving off the tilde this time.... and using British Brackets instead.... I think.)

Disposable inflatable dungeons, the best 'greater than' illustration ever, the coolness of patty papers (who knew!!?) and a lesson on brackets (which is what we call them in Canada). This must be the best thread ever!

Melanie (who is a huge fan of Bill ever since the Great Mythology Debacle of 2010)

I've never considered myself math challenged, but maybe I am "toilet paper roll" challenged. Or maybe I'm just not up to this "new conceptual math" :D.

I would ask you to post a picture, but I am definitely camera challenged, so I would never be so forward - it would be the equivalent of asking you to bake a 7 layer cake - who has time?

Lynn (who's leaving off the tilde this time.... and using British Brackets instead.... I think.)

Think combination lock...cut paper in strips, write the digits 0-9 on the strip and glue it in a circle that will easily slip over the tube. Then you can add tens digits, hundred digits etc. you can turn the paper strips to whatever number you want child to be able to read. I use different color strips for each place value.

~~Faithe

Noooooooo, not a tilde. Don't mess with my world.

Totally unrelated, but you might appreciate this: my 5yo (who is digging MEP) picked up a couple sticks while we were walking home a few days ago, and carried them in a "V" with the farther ends touching. She stopped, pointed the sticks at some stairs, "I am GREATER THAN the stairs." "I am GREATER THAN that dog." "I am GREATER THAN the sky." etc. etc. We were almost home, and she turned the sticks toward me. She didn't say anything, but there was definite smirk.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Think combination lock...cut paper in strips, write the digits 0-9 on the strip and glue it in a circle that will easily slip over the tube. Then you can add tens digits, hundred digits etc. you can turn the paper strips to whatever number you want child to be able to read. I use different color strips for each place value.

~~Faithe

Got it now, thanks!!!

Lynn {who's using American brackets this time}

{ braces }

[ brackets ]

(parentheses)

In the States. :D

That's not the way I remember learning it in Canada. Any other Canadians reading this who are old enough to remember what we called them when New Math came into our schools? In my town, that was c. 1970. Or even later? I hate to think that I've totally forgotten what we called them and that it was the American way after all (just because I like to think I have a great memory after all these years ;)).

I'm inventing a new math thing around toilet paper rolls. I don't have all the kinks worked out, but I'll keep you posted :D

Bill (who prefers brackets to tildes)

Hmm, toilet paper math. I clearly needed this yesterday.

If you have 6 members in your household, and 1/2 of of 1 roll of toilet paper, will it be enough to sustain all 6 famly members, plus 4 guests for one evening? The answer is no.

Hmm, toilet paper math. I clearly needed this yesterday.

If you have 6 members in your household, and 1/2 of of 1 roll of toilet paper, will it be enough to sustain all 6 famly members, plus 4 guests for one evening? The answer is no.

:lol: :lol::lol:

:lol:

We've put off getting her hair cut until after her glasses arrive [i've been nominated for the worst parent of the decade award for not realizing just how bad her eyes were :crying:]... but, other considerations aside, a Betty Page 'do is too long due to tangling issues.

First of all, I'd LOVE to meet your > dd who wants a reusable, inflatable dungeon. Secondly, I'm mright up there with you for the worst parent of the decade award over glasses for my ds. In fact, the only reason I found out when I did is because I asked my dd's optometrist what age dc should have their first eye exams and found out I was nearly 3 years too late. All that time I thought that ds couldn't learn the difference between a horse and a cow because I didn't read animal books to him often enough!

:lol:

We've put off getting her hair cut until after her glasses arrive [i've been nominated for the worst parent of the decade award for not realizing just how bad her eyes were :crying:]... but, other considerations aside, a Betty Page 'do is too long due to tangling issues.

I had the same situation. It made me feel terrible. What was her prescription?

First of all, I'd LOVE to meet your > dd who wants a reusable, inflatable dungeon. Secondly, I'm mright up there with you for the worst parent of the decade award over glasses for my ds. In fact, the only reason I found out when I did is because I asked my dd's optometrist what age dc should have their first eye exams and found out I was nearly 3 years too late. All that time I thought that ds couldn't learn the difference between a horse and a cow because I didn't read animal books to him often enough!

How's he doing now?

I had the same situation. It made me feel terrible. What was her prescription?
Her near vision is fine, but her myopia is bad enough that she needs bifocals to help keep it from getting worse. [it's amazing how things have advanced since I was a kid.] I'm not sure of the prescription (I left he sheet at the optician's and will get it back next week), but her eyes are as bad as DH's. According to him she probably can't see anything with clarity, while squinting hard, past 10 feet. We opted for polycarbonate lenses for her regular glasses to keep the thickness down, as well as sports glasses and swim goggles. Hopefully we'll have them this week. How'd it work out for yours? Edited by nmoira

That's squarely in I'm-scared-to-ask territory. This is a child who told me that for her sixth birthday she wants an inflatable dungeon, but was adamant that it must be reusable. No disposable inflatable dungeons for my little girl.

:smilielol5:

.......Who is picking on our token male??

:001_huh: There have been guys around here for years......perhaps not as permanent a fixture as Bill, but certainly active participants. I can think of a half dozen or more, several of whom have brought great wisdom in their homeschooling experience.

I can't imagine that Bill thinks anyone is picking on him. Is that what OP was getting at? From what I've seen, Bill seems to hold his own and then some with a variety of topics.

:001_smile:

How's he doing now?

Her near vision is fine, but her myopia is bad enough that she needs bifocals to help keep it from getting worse. [it's amazing how things have advanced since I was a kid.] I'm not sure of the prescription (I left he sheet at the optician's and will get it back next week), but her eyes are as bad as DH's. According to him she probably can't see anything with clarity, while squinting hard, past 10 feet. We opted for polycarbonate lenses for her regular glasses to keep the thickness down, as well as sports glasses and swim goggles. Hopefully we'll have them this week. How'd it work out for yours?

Ok. I did weeks of research on trying to find a way to slow down the progression of dd's myopia. Most optician's, including the sweet one we took dd to, think it's just hereditary, and there's nothing you can do. And they say as the child grows, the eyes get bigger and it worsens. Nothing you can do about it.

A few "rebels" feel it's genetic and environmental, and can be slowed down. Some believe plus lenses (reading glasses or bifocals) will stop the progression. It is about as heated a topic as....politics on this board. You would not believe it!

Between 5 (when she first got glasses) and 6, dd had a huge jump in her prescription. Well, I wasn't about to let the optician keep telling me, "Well that's just how it goes", so I found another Dr.

He's a well respected pediatric opthalmologist at Johns Hopkins University. (He writes in medical journals and such.) He says in his experience/practice, bifocals DO slow down the progression. Reading glasses or simply taking off your glasses to read should work, but the compliance is poor with small children.

He also said that what likely happened with my dd is the optician over-prescribed her first pair, and then didn't tell her NOT TO READ WITH GLASSES ON.

I put that it caps because it's my mantra after going through this. If you're myopic, you need glasses for long distance vision, not near. Using them for near causes them to get progressively worse.

I'm surprised your optician recommended bifocals, as most are vehemently against it. I so wish I had gotten that advice right from the beginning.

Anyway, it took about six months to get in to see this doctor. In that time, she has been faithfully removing her glasses to read. Though she is growing like a weed, her prescription has not changed in that 6 mos though kids this age frequently do. I'm hopeful the bifocals will help also.

How's he doing now?

Much better, but it was quite an interesting adventure having a 4 yo boy with glasses, even the break resistant ones! He had one other interesting thing happen and that was when he was 8. The opthomologist (we'd switched since the optomotrist moved his office too far to be practical) noted that he had a weak eye, but it wasn't that much. At his next check (still 8) I asked to have it patched. That's late, and most dc's eyes have matured too much for that to work by then. His reading was 1 grade behind. Within 2 weeks of patching he'd caught up, and within 2 months had raced about 4 grades ahead of his grade level. The follow up appointment confirmed that his eye had improved several lines. For some reason that eye made a lot of difference for him, even though he has to wear glasses to read that should have corrected it for him. Good thing his eyes developed late!!! He is far sighted with astygmatisms, but now that he's 9, his Rx is a bit weaker because he's becoming more far sighted (his dad & sisters started off fine for the most part, but needed glasses for distance after ages 8-12 depending, so hopefully this trend will help more & more. I only started needing reading glasses in the past few years.)

Edited by Karin

so I found another Dr.
Good for you.

He's a well respected pediatric opthalmologist at Johns Hopkins University. (He writes in medical journals and such.) He says in his experience/practice, bifocals DO slow down the progression. Reading glasses or simply taking off your glasses to read should work, but the compliance is poor with small children.
There was a study earlier this year that was highly suggestive that bifocals can, in some cases, at least mildly slow down the progression of myopia. This comforted me greatly as to the optometrist's recommendation, as does reading about the experience of your DD's ophthalmologist. Thanks. :)

He also said that what likely happened with my dd is the optician over-prescribed her first pair, and then didn't tell her NOT TO READ WITH GLASSES ON.
This was interesting to me. Both my girls are getting glasses, but DD the Elder's prescription is closer to mine, one good eye and other other not so bad that she can't compensate. The optometrist slightly underprescribed both girls and was very patient about explaining the "why's." He also put the relaxing drops in DD the Younger's eyes so she couldn't overfocus (?), to double check that he got the prescription right. He did warn us about reading and up-close work, in case she rejects the bifocals and we move to her to single vision lenses for her everyday glasses.

I'm surprised your optician recommended bifocals, as most are vehemently against it. I so wish I had gotten that advice right from the beginning.
The optometry practice is one highly respected by area homeschoolers. I normally don't buy from the optometrist's in-house opticians, but I was *very* impressed by the woman I was dealing with, and the prices were not unreasonable. The doctor had strongly recommended the bifocals, saying that most kids get used to them in about 2 weeks. If DD the Younger simply can't abide them, we can switch in single vision lenses after the trial period at no additional charge.

Anyway, it took about six months to get in to see this doctor. In that time, she has been faithfully removing her glasses to read. Though she is growing like a weed, her prescription has not changed in that 6 mos though kids this age frequently do. I'm hopeful the bifocals will help also.
It sounds like you're on the right track for your DD. :)

Good thing his eyes developed late!!!

Wow. It sounds like you had quite the adventure. I'm glad to hear everything's going well. :)

I only started needing reading glasses in the past few years.)
For the first time I wasn't able to read the bottom line with one of my eyes in the close up test at my appointment (we all went the same day). I almost cried, but managed to hold myself together for the sake of the children. *sniff* :tongue_smilie:

For the first time I wasn't able to read the bottom line with one of my eyes in the close up test at my appointment (we all went the same day). I almost cried, but managed to hold myself together for the sake of the children. *sniff* :tongue_smilie:

So I had to take my dad to an see an Ophthalmologist today, despite a looming dead-line on a project due tomorrow. I thought, OK, I lose a few hours, but it will be alright.

But there was a shooting on the freeway this morning. Do you know what happens in LA when they close a freeway. I persevere, and finally get to the hospital, and a patient sitting next to us in the waiting room goes "Code Blue". I'm afraid he may have perished. Terrible.

After another 6 hours getting shuffled around, emergency laser surgery.

What a day!

Bill

What a day!
No kidding. There's not enough wine in the world after that kind of day. I hope you manage to meet your deadline.

Is everything OK with your dad?

No kidding. There's not enough wine in the world after that kind of day. I hope you manage to meet your deadline.

Is everything OK with your dad?

Yea, he's OK. They said it was a good thing I brought him in, as a cataract was causing pressure to build up in his eye, and it could have been serious if we had waited.

So I just had dinner (and an adult beverage :D) and I'm about to pull an "all-nighter" :001_huh:

Bill (too old for this :blink:)

Yea, he's OK. They said it was a good thing I brought him in, as a cataract was causing pressure to build up in his eye, and it could have been serious if we had waited.

So I just had dinner (and an adult beverage :D) and I'm about to pull an "all-nighter" :001_huh:

Glad your dad is OK. :)

And, sorry :toetap05:, you are not too old for this.

Mariann (who IS too old for this :svengo:)

I'm feeling ya Bill. I will be up late as well, packing and prepping for class on Wed. and cleaning for potential renters to come here and packing and oh worrying about closing. Where's that adult beverage? :tongue_smilie:

Wow. It sounds like you had quite the adventure. I'm glad to hear everything's going well. :)

Well, I was an Egyptian the first few times he told me I had mild hyertonia--I lived in de-nial. Okay, bad pun, but my dc used to enjoy this joke. I didn't want to have to wear reading glasses until I hit 50, but had to start around 47 or 48 with 100. Now I'm up to 125 and my 40s are history, although I like to think that I look younger than I am ;).

Glad he's okay, but don't be like my dh and say you're too old:glare::D.