Menu

How many of your middle & high schoolers work alone when you have a learning room?

I posted this somewhat on the General board. As my dcs are maturing, I am re-thinking the fact that we have always worked in one room. Too much chatter and lack of concentration really concerns me. Since my youngest will be a 5th grader next year, I am considering breaking up our learning areas. I would have to work on this over the summer though, so I need to decide.

I would basically leave some bookcases in the bonus room but move one of the dss in that room. Then, I would move each person's desk into their room. When I am working with one, I would do that in their room or downstairs. I would also move the computers I use personally downstairs.

Just wondering what has worked for others. We are joining a co-op in the fall that meets weekly so they will need to turn in things online and use more time management skills this next year.

My dh always says each year of hsing is different. Is it time to make a change?

I think you should give your older ones some peace and quiet. If my 16yo had to work in the same room with his siblings, he would go nuts. :001_smile:

My 5th and 6th grader stay in the room with me, my 7th grader stays in another room close by, and my 10th grader has worked all year on another floor.

Thanks. I'm thinking maybe divide and conquer might be our motto next year. I really like the ideas on SWB's talk about raising independent thinkers. However, I find it almost impossible if my dcs are always in the same room and chatting it up. Plus they are asking me every single ? instead of working through it to come up with the answer.

I'm just trying to rethink things. They also seem to be getting on each other's nerves for the first time lately. I wonder if we need more space next year, though we will still be in the same home and do some things together.

Do you have your oldest check in with you periodically or not? How does that work?

are both teenagers and work in their rooms. One prefers a planet chair, the other has a desk.

They would go crazy if they had to read in the school room with the "littles".

I keep the 2nd grader with me at the kitchen table. And I work with the 5th grader in the school room and send him to "finish up" or work on his own in my bedroom. He needs quiet too.

We are ALL over the house.

Be flexible as the kids get older and ask them where THEY prefer to study as they become teenagers.

HTH,

Brenda:001_smile:

I agree with the others about the older kids needing some space.

We have a small house so even though my older ones are in a different room they still complained about the little ones being too loud. We bought them headphones to wear so they can listen to music while doing their work. Now my only problem is that the older two never hear me when I call them -- or at least that is their story and they are sticking to it.:glare:

We are ALL over the house.

This is us as well. Ds18, when he was home last year, studied at the university library, down-the-street county library or his room. Dd16 studies almost exclusively in her room as does ds15. Ds13 and ds11 use the dining room table and I work in the sunroom with one child at a time. Then, we rotate so that the littles have *stations* or activities either in my room (door closed) or outside. The house stays pretty quiet during the morning.

Lisa

Mine did some work at his desk in the basement school room (it was on the far side of the room), read his lit either on the couch there or upstairs in the living room, and did his devotional in his room before the day officially started.

We'd meet for discussion (he did Omnibus and had to prepare the questions ahead of time--same for when we did Sonlight 300). During that time, dd had to give us space. Sometimes she'd do work, like math page or phonics/spelling, sometimes she'd do chores or just have free time.

The older they are, the more autonomy they need, imo.

My kids as they got older did most of their work alone in their room. When they needed help, they would come to me and we would do it in many places- my bedroom, the office (for very short help), the kitchen, the dining room, the living room (only for discussion problems), and the sunroom. We have a seperate craft/testing/guest bedroom but we only use that for testing like standardized testing or when someone is studying for standardized tests like practicing for an AP or ACT.

I would definately give the older ones their space. I have desks set up for both of our older children in our home office, but dd always does her work at the kitchen table, while ds does his work at his desk (or reads in his room). We do history together. I also work with each child independently, without the others around to interrupt :) It is very hard for either of my older children to concentrate with other noises around (which has made homeschooling with a 2 year old running around a bit more of a challenge :lol:)

We've never really had a set space. Well, when ds16 started 1st grade, I had an area in our livingroom where I put two little desks some friends gave us, facing each other with a ssquare Little Tykes table in between. dd was 3 then, and sat at the table to color and the boys used the two desks. We were fairly consistent with that most of that year, but mostly we school wherever the kids are most comfortable. Oldest ds needed quiet, so he usually ended up in his room. It's been good for ds16 to be able to be where it's comfy for him---he walked around, laid half on the couch-half on the floor, he needed to say things out loud AND move to really get stuff (which drove oldest ds crazy!), so it wasn't conducive to a one room schooling situation! :)

I agree with letting the olders go where they're comfy. Best wishes!

I'd agree that you need to maintain accountability. Older students do need some peace and quiet away from younger siblings, but they probably also need some help managing the other distractions (especially Internet related).

We had only one family computer until my son was in high school. Even though it introduced some new temptations, having separate computers was a plus for us. My son and I used e-mail for routine questions, and he'd often attach drafts of essays for my comments--that helped him feel that I wasn't constantly peering over his shoulder. However, I scheduled face to face discussion regularly for each subject.

Something to watch out for ...

Occasionally, on this board, parents post about their teens not getting work done. Sometimes it's related to the dc being in their rooms where the parent can't see them (and sometimes with various distractions - computers with internet, video games, TV, etc.).

It might be something to be aware of as dc are given more freedoms, so to speak. Along with those freedoms come extra responsibilities - which the dc need to learn to manage.

HTH

Great point and something I am considering. However, it seems my oldest at least is really needing some breathing room and is very concerned about getting his work done. But, I'm not going to fool myself either.

I separated my kids this year - the older two were in 6th and the younger in 3rd/4th. I gave the older two a list and worked with the younger one first, till pretty much all she had to do was finish up her math independently. At that point she was welcome to complete her work with the older two while I worked with them, stay where she was or in the room next to them.

There is no computer in the room where the older two worked. They did sometimes giggle with each other, but overall I thought the whole thing worked better than last year when the older and younger ones would squabble or be distracted by the different lessons going on.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a room that will be used as a school room for my older kids. They used it this yr, but it was just a mish mash of old desks, construction painter's white, computer in the corner, etc. It was very unappealing and really a general mess.

I spent this last week painting it a cheerful yellow, and dh is building smalll bookshelves (approx 12 inches wide and 29" high) which are going to be used as cubbies (and support) under the cheap pre-fab countertops you can buy at building stores. The countertops are going to go along the perimeter of 2 opposing walls. The cubbies will be dividing the areas into work stations. Each workstation will also have an electric outlet in the top as well as a networked netbook.

In one corner there is a big hoop chair and reading lamp. On another wall there are bookshelves.

This is the room where my older kids will be working. I have learned from the past to not let computers and teens be alone for school for long periods of time. (and this is from my highly motivated, responsible kids. It is just a matter of placing them in a position of way too much temptation)

Since the work stations are set up in an open way, all computers are visible to everyone in the room. There will also be plenty of elbow room for them to have stuff out and spread all over their area without anyone complaining that it is in their space.

It is not a place where the younger kids will be working. And the older kids will leave that room to work with me. It is still not ideal. ;) The younger kids are super upset b/c they want to be able to work in there!! But the intent is for the doors to that room to be shut and it be like working in a library. Everywhere else in the house is free game for noisy interaction. I might indulge my rising 3rd grader and let her do her math in there if she is quiet. It might help that wild child focus a little more!! :)

ETA: BTW.....I really needed something to inspire me in homeschooling b/c I am dragging. This project is helping. I am starting to feel re-inspired!!

Occasionally, on this board, parents post about their teens not getting work done. Sometimes it's related to the dc being in their rooms where the parent can't see them (and sometimes with various distractions - computers with internet, video games, TV, etc.).

It might be something to be aware of as dc are given more freedoms, so to speak. Along with those freedoms come extra responsibilities - which the dc need to learn to manage.

HTH

We have had to deal with this. It wasn't always electronics that became the issue. During our first year of homeschooling, we didn't have the electronics we have now & my oldest still found books she'd rather read, a journal she'd rather write in, or just plain daydreaming to distract her.

I never found a truly satisfying answer, but it wasn't having her at the table with me & her K age brother. One thing I did learn was that I had to be checking in for accountability several times a day and say, "Show me what you've done." A simple, "Have you done....?" without eyes on was not enough.

Today, I just have one at home and I insist that he work where I can see him even if I'm not working with him directly. We have opted not to have filters, etc, on our computers, at least at this time, but if I needed to have my son work in another room, I believe I would have software that blocked certain sites (FB) and/or regulated when the internet could be on or off on the computer he uses to help with the distraction issue. In fact, I'm still thinking about it, but when he goes off to college, he won't have Mommy regulating his internet access, so I'd rather he learn to deal with that distraction whle he's home.

I'm putting the finishing touches on a room that will be used as a school room for my older kids. They used it this yr, but it was just a mish mash of old desks, construction painter's white, computer in the corner, etc. It was very unappealing and really a general mess.

I spent this last week painting it a cheerful yellow, and dh is building smalll bookshelves (approx 12 inches wide and 29" high) which are going to be used as cubbies (and support) under the cheap pre-fab countertops you can buy at building stores. The countertops are going to go along the perimeter of 2 opposing walls. The cubbies will be dividing the areas into work stations. Each workstation will also have an electric outlet in the top as well as a networked netbook.

In one corner there is a big hoop chair and reading lamp. On another wall there are bookshelves.

This is the room where my older kids will be working. I have learned from the past to not let computers and teens be alone for school for long periods of time. (and this is from my highly motivated, responsible kids. It is just a matter of placing them in a position of way too much temptation)

Since the work stations are set up in an open way, all computers are visible to everyone in the room. There will also be plenty of elbow room for them to have stuff out and spread all over their area without anyone complaining that it is in their space.

It is not a place where the younger kids will be working. And the older kids will leave that room to work with me. It is still not ideal. ;) The younger kids are super upset b/c they want to be able to work in there!! But the intent is for the doors to that room to be shut and it be like working in a library. Everywhere else in the house is free game for noisy interaction. I might indulge my rising 3rd grader and let her do her math in there if she is quiet. It might help that wild child focus a little more!! :)

ETA: BTW.....I really needed something to inspire me in homeschooling b/c I am dragging. This project is helping. I am starting to feel re-inspired!!

That is a really cool idea. Dh and I talked last night and came up with a workable solution. But I like your ideas too!!

My senior and junior work in their own rooms. My 9th grader in the living room, and my 6th grader in the dining room. Dining and living rooms are sort of connected. The computer is in the living room. All kids come to me at whichever desk I'm at. I have a computer desk and a main desk in the bedroom. If I had a seperate school room, I would set everything up in that one room... and then allow the kids to take the books and work elsewhere if they wanted to. So, if I were you I would not move desks or rearrange furniture. But I would let them work on their beds, read in the recliner, or work on the patio! My kids sometimes take books out to the swing or lay on the trampoline. :)

HTH

Yes, yes, and yes! My older son was easily distracted and I didn't realize that I needed to monitor him much more closely than I did. He admitted a couple of years later how hard it was to study anywhere near the computer (so much for on-line classes and programs) as it was way too tempting to hop on and play games or chat with friends. My younger son is a bit better as he is not as easily distracted nor does he care for the computer as much, but....I keep having to remind myself that I have to hold him accountable on a daily, not weekly, basis.

Leaving the house for several hours when they know you won't be back is especially tempting. Make sure they are kept very busy, are accountable and make it very hard to be tempted, especially with the computer.

Yolanda

I give my high schooler the freedom to choose where she wants to work. Sometimes, she enjoys being in the same room as the rest of us, and sometimes, she prefers to work in her room or out on the deck, or in the yard in a lawn chair. We have a park behind our home, and sometimes she'll head over to the park and sit on a bench and read. Sometimes, I drop her off at the library for a while. She's very responsible and mature, so I don't have any issues with her not doing her work.

My 6th grader and 3rd grader both work with me, and although I'm fine with my 6th grader going into her room to finish her reading, she usually prefers to hang out with us. My preschooler is everywhere. :)

Yes, yes, and yes! My older son was easily distracted and I didn't realize that I needed to monitor him much more closely than I did. He admitted a couple of years later how hard it was to study anywhere near the computer (so much for on-line classes and programs) as it was way too tempting to hop on and play games or chat with friends. My younger son is a bit better as he is not as easily distracted nor does he care for the computer as much, but....I keep having to remind myself that I have to hold him accountable on a daily, not weekly, basis.

Leaving the house for several hours when they know you won't be back is especially tempting. Make sure they are kept very busy, are accountable and make it very hard to be tempted, especially with the computer.

Yolanda

Thanks. Good advice.

HTH

Yolanda

My kids don't have tv or computers or electronics in their rooms. We have a "formal diningroom" that is our computer room. If computer use is needed, they will be in the computer room which I am often in. And, though some may not agree, they are password coded, so the kids can't just get on whenever they want. It was done when a "friend" of our boys started showing them other "things" as soon as I would leave the room! :( My boys actually told me about it, and dh added the passwords. (and the boy was not invited back)

I kept a daily check on their work progress. They knew I would check, and we usually didn't have problems. Oh, and we also had an open door policy. My kids have never been ones to go in their rooms and shut the door.

Once they know how it's all set up, and that you will check, etc., they usually do fine!

Thanks. I'm thinking maybe divide and conquer might be our motto next year. I really like the ideas on SWB's talk about raising independent thinkers. However, I find it almost impossible if my dcs are always in the same room and chatting it up. Plus they are asking me every single ? instead of working through it to come up with the answer.

I'm just trying to rethink things. They also seem to be getting on each other's nerves for the first time lately. I wonder if we need more space next year, though we will still be in the same home and do some things together.

Do you have your oldest check in with you periodically or not? How does that work?

Divide and conquer has been our strategy for a number of years now. My dc like to fidget, sing & hum while they work, and that just doesn't work when in the same room. Actually, it doesn't usually work well even when scattered, but that still works better. I usually check on my dc rather than have them check into me, but it varies.

Another reason I separate my dc is so that my dd's don't try to help me teach whomever is younger than them.

I find with my dc that it helps to rotate where dc work to help keep it fresh. I don't insist on them sitting at a table or a desk all of the time. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting a new computer so that this aging behemoth can be moved and my younger ones can do German & typing while dd is doing her online German, etc. In fact, dd can't do online German until we replace this one because one if its problems is that we can watch online videos but not listen to online audio.

Edited by Karin

I have two boys left at home (12th, 8th).

My boys are given their lesson plans (daily tasks) for the week on monday. They can do school wherever they want to... in their rooms, in the kitchen, on the trampoline... as long as they are getting it done and doing a thorough job.

They work independently on most things. I make notes on their lesson plans where i want them to seek my help - math lessons/checking, memorization, etc.

at the end of the week, all their work is to be on my desk for me to look over.

if i think they are not working up to par...the gavel comes down and they redo it over the weekend. :)

I have two boys left at home (12th, 8th).

My boys are given their lesson plans (daily tasks) for the week on Monday. They can do school wherever they want to... in their rooms, in the kitchen, on the trampoline... as long as they are getting it done and doing a thorough job.

They work independently on most things. I make notes on their lesson plans where i want them to seek my help - math lessons/checking, memorization, etc.

at the end of the week, all their work is to be on my desk for me to look over.

if i think they are not working up to par...the gavel comes down and they redo it over the weekend. :)

This is how we run things. They have the option of taking off a day during the week (say something fun comes up or its gonna rain on Saturday but pretty on Tuesday) So they will do school some Saturdays. They have to work on Sunday afternoons if they goofed off during the week (This rarely happens anymore. They have learn the hard lessons.