Menu

For those who read 'chick-lit'...need a good read!

My dh and kids are leaving me over the weekend. They are going on their annual guys fishing trip. :tongue_smilie: So far I have nothing planned except to stay home and...well, do NOTHING! (MY kind of vacation ;))

I'm thinking a good romance novel would be a wonderful relaxing thing. Unfortunately, I'm out of the "romance novel" loop. I really don't want anything too over-the-top sexually, but it also doesn't need to be a Christian romance novel either....I've found many of those rather BORING. I don't want boring. I want fun, and romantical. I don't mind it having s#x in it as I have no problem skipping over that stuff, but if it's all s#x it makes for an awfully quick read on my part (skipping every other page! :lol:) I also prefer historical stories, but modern are OK.

Specific book Recommendations anyone?

What about Phillipa Gregory "The Other Boleyn Girl?" Her historical fiction is excellent, although it can be tough due to some of the sexual topics that arise (realistic for that time period.) For the most part, I think she is realistic, but careful in her descriptions. Many of her books are very good!

I also like Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series for a "lighter" read.

Not sure if you've read the Twilight series, but they were an interesting, romantic read (no sex.)

Enjoy your weekend!!!

I just read "Memoirs of a Geisha" and loved it! Couldn't put it down all weekend. Kind of historical fiction for adults. Nothing too graphic or gratuitous in it.

You might have already read it but I missed the boat when it was all the rage several years ago. :o

I highly, highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. You won't get the whole series read in a weekend (there are 7 books and they are about 1000 pages each) and maybe not even one book. However, once you start reading it you won't be able to put it down. It is a time travel book but done very well. So well that you don't think of it as "time travel" at all. It is set in Scotland during the time of Bonnie Prince Charles.

Enjoy the relaxing weekend!

I highly, highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. You won't get the whole series read in a weekend (there are 7 books and they are about 1000 pages each) and maybe not even one book. However, once you start reading it you won't be able to put it down. It is a time travel book but done very well. So well that you don't think of it as "time travel" at all. It is set in Scotland during the time of Bonnie Prince Charles.

Enjoy the relaxing weekend!

Read these! Well, except for the newest one which last time I checked was still in hardback. :001_smile:

What about Phillipa Gregory "The Other Boleyn Girl?" Her historical fiction is excellent, although it can be tough due to some of the sexual topics that arise (realistic for that time period.) For the most part, I think she is realistic, but careful in her descriptions. Many of her books are very good!

Not sure if you've read the Twilight series, but they were an interesting, romantic read (no sex.)

Enjoy your weekend!!!

I have heard that The Other Boleyn Girl is a great read, but, I think I want something lighter.

Now the Sophie Kinsella books look fun! I'd not heard of her, which one do you suggest?

And yes, I've read all of the Twilight books. ;)

I highly, highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. You won't get the whole series read in a weekend (there are 7 books and they are about 1000 pages each) and maybe not even one book. However, once you start reading it you won't be able to put it down.

Just in case, though, have the second book on hand before you read the first.

I read book 1, and DH made several trips to the bookstore to resupply me. I loved those books so much that I held my eyes open with my fingers so I could continue reading them as long as possible before my body forced me to sleep. Only 4 books in the series had been published back then.

Just in case, though, have the second book on hand before you read the first.

I read book 1, and DH made several trips to the bookstore to resupply me. I loved those books so much that I held my eyes open with my fingers so I could continue reading them as long as possible before my body forced me to sleep. Only 4 books in the series had been published back then.

:lol:

I actually began this series YEARS ago when all she had written was The Outlander. Talk about anxiously waiting for the next book, and the next book, and the next book. It was torture.

I think it remains my favorite series of all time. I'm still waiting for the movie I heard rumor of last year. I hope someone is actually going to put it to screen...though they will no doubt butcher it. :glare:

Never heard of this author either! Off to Amazon to have a look-see...;)

I was going to recommend Emily Giffin as well.

I also love Mary Kay Andrews (a little romance, a little mystery, a lot of humor...and I actually know the author!).

Also, anything by Jen Lancaster, which is ALL humor, but I mean laugh-out-loud chick humor. Her first was best, then her second, and they have gotten progressively not-quite-as-good, but all are very readable.

:lol:

I actually began this series YEARS ago when all she had written was The Outlander. Talk about anxiously waiting for the next book, and the next book, and the next book. It was torture.

From the time The Outlander was published until I finally read it, many people recommended it to me. I finally bought it at a used bookstore a couple of years before I read it.

Time travel was not my cup of tea, but after so many years of being nagged about that book, I decided to read it in self-defense. I didn't think I'd read more than 50 pages, but it hooked me from the first page.

I, too, get frustrated waiting for the next book to be published.

I agree with "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. Fantastic, fantastic series! The characters have so much depth, and the stories contain everything you could possibly want in a book all rolled into one (extremely well-written) story. Sex, yes. But also romance, drama, suspense, fantasy, action, history... everything. I love those books. Love them!

I also like all the books I've read by Philippa Gregory so I second those suggestions, too :)

I also very highly recommend the Outlander series. Most of what I read is scifi and fantasy, some of those faves are Audrey Niffenegger's Time Traveler's Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry, Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse and Harper Connelly series, Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle Trilogy (those are teen-oriented so no sex in there), I liked Stephenie Meyer's 'The Host' BUT I thought it was really boring until about Chapter 13 (yes I actually took note of that!). If you are looking for short trashy reads, try Karen Marie Moning's Fever series.

Now the Sophie Kinsella books look fun! I'd not heard of her, which one do you suggest?

Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess was my favorite that I've read by her - funny and put together well.

:iagree:

I love Sophie Kinsella's books!! The Shopaholic series is great. The first one is Confessions of a Shopaholic. Other than that series, she has written Can You Keep a Secret, The Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me, and Twentie's Girl.

Can You Keep a Secret is probably the funniest one, in my opinion. Remember Me was okay, but not one of my favorites. I loved The Undomestic Goddess! When I read Twentie's Girl, I didn't really expect to like it; but since I'd read all of her other books I figured I'd read that one as well. I was pleasantly surprised, though, and really enjoyed it.

She also writes as Madeleine Wickham (I think that's actually her real name), but I haven't read any of those books yet.

Oh, and if you've read the Twilight saga, have you read The Host? It's really, really good!!

Crocodile on the Sandbank

Published 1975

Set in 1884, this is the first installment in what has become a beloved bestselling series. At thirty-two, strong-willed Amelia Peabody, a self-proclaimed spinster, decides to use her ample inheritance to indulge her passion, Egyptology. On her way to Egypt, Amelia encounters a young woman named Evelyn Barton-Forbes. The two become fast friends and travel on together, encountering mysteries, missing mummies, and Radcliffe Emerson, a dashing and opinionated archaeologist who doesn't need a woman's help -- or so he thinks.

Amelia rocks! I am rereading this series for fun right now, so Amelia is on my mind.

Gayle Roper's books... Amhearst Mystery series, Seaside Seasons series, Enough!

Stephanie Grace Whitson... Prairie Winds series (I haven't read her others yet)

Angela Hunt... Fairlawn Series (about life in a funeral home!)

Allie Pleiter hs a couple of Love Inspired books that are fun reads: My So-Called Love Life and The Perfect Blend

Lori Wick's books are really nice and she has tons of them.

Here are some links you might like to peruse:

http://www.cozylibrary.com/

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

If you're looking for funny and romantic, I definitely second/third the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella. Most of my chick lit books I pass back along when I'm done reading them, but I kept those and have reread them a number of times. They're simply hilarious and a very light fast read. :) "Twenties Girl" is her newest book and I found it very entertaining as well, though definitely different from her other stories she's written.

The Apothacary's Daughter by Julie Klassen is good.

Lori Wick's books are decent, Christian historical romances. Lawana Blackwell is also a good author and writes historical Christian romance. And Lori Copeland.

Diana Gabaldon and Phillippa Gregory are both excellent and I highly recommend. For complete fluff though, Bridget Jones Diary and the sequel were very good, especially as a fan of the BBC Pride and Prejudice. Very different from the movies.

Yes, for Sophie Kinsella, I'd go with the Shopaholic series. The first one is Confessions of a Shopaholic. I'd get the first 3 at least (depending on how fast you read!) They are so fun. (I didn't like Undomestic Goddess quite as well) I also like the books by Madelaine Wickham (her pen name?) I've heard Emily Griffith is good. And I've also heard the Outlander series is fantastic (as others have said here!)

Have fun!!!

I haven't read all the other replies so forgive me if I repeat:)

Here are some that I have read in the past year and really liked. They are all light reading:

1. The Help

2. The Lady's Detective Agency books(all of them are great)

3. The Glass Castle

Also, a friend told me that the Nanny Diaries is a great read. I plan on reading that this summer.

I have read both Emily Giffin and Sophie Kinsella, and I like them both, but I prefer Sophie Kinsella. She makes me laugh hysterically!

The Other Boleyn Girl is also good. Not as light, but excellent all the same.

I would second Katie Fforde, too. Good light hearted reading.

I haven't read the Outlander series, but I guess I should!

I had picked up Voyager while in university not realizing it was the 3rd book in a series. It was still very easy to go back to the beginning and start over.

I have read these books over and over so many times. They just get better. Granted, I will admit the last few haven't been as good as the first. And hubby wouldn't let me name our first son James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser. Not sure why. I did manage Alexander as a middle name though ;)

I've got to chime in with any of the Nora Roberts novels or trilogies. Also those by Amanda Quick (Jane Anne Krentz's alterego) are quick and light but historical. Another favorite is Stephanie Laurens - either the Cynster's or The Bastion Club.

Had to quickly scan this thread to see if my suggestion was mentioned. I saw many favorites like Outlander, Gone with the Wind, and Phillipa Gregory. You can't got wrong with any of those! I'll add to that list Julia Quinn, particularly the Bridgerton Series! JQ writes Regency romance perfectly. She's a master at intelligent, funny dialogue.

Start with The Duke and I and see if you don't want to read the rest! Romancing Mister Bridgerton, book number 4, is my favorite. The smart girl gets the boy!

I'll stop gushing now, but I feel like it may be time to read another JQ novel soon :D.

Lots of good ideas here!

Love Meg Cabot, Mary Kay Anderson and Sophie Kinsella for light reads.

If you are looking for romance books that are light on sex but lots of fun, try Marion Chesney....the library should have a good selection, but you probably won't find them at a bookstore as they are out of print. My favorite are the Six sisters series (say that fast 10 times ;))

Enjoy your time!!!

Diane

I haven't read all the posts, but, judging by the first page, these are probably a notch or two lower in literary quality, but super enjoyable -- the Bailey Weggins Mysteries by Kate White. (Lethally Blonde, If Looks Could Kill, A Body to Die For, etc). The author is (or was) a (or the) editor at Cosmopolitan.

I really, really like these books -- I've re-read them a couple of times.

Big Stone Gap

Big Cherry Holler

Milk Glass Moon

Home to Big Stone Gap

Oh, I love these!

I was going to suggest "The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". Light, fun, and has some romance. No sex, though. I'm reading it now and really enjoying it!

The "Aunt Dimity" series of books by Nancy Atherton is good, too.

I also loved the Three Sisters trilogy by Nora Roberts. I really like NR's books that have the supernatural element to them.

Edited by OnTheBrink