Menu

Census worker came yesterday

That's fine. I actually don't like "disclosing" personal info. for people to whom I do not choose. As my friend said, "The gov't. already has all that info, but I'm not going to make it any easie to give it to them knowing more strangers will be reading/tallying the data".

Does your family submit a federal tax form each year ? Strangers will be reading/tallying the data. . . . :)

That's fine. I actually don't like "disclosing" personal info. for people to whom I do not choose. As my friend said, "The gov't. already has all that info, but I'm not going to make it any easie to give it to them knowing more strangers will be reading/tallying the data".

Well, by default, even more people will be looking at your information when they have to pull it from tax records and such.

I guess no one understands why you put name and birthdate for the children living in your home. From my understanding, they want to know that particular person has not been counted anywhere else. Say you and an ex share custody and he/she answers the questions wrong. If they see someone with the same name/birthday they can know if they need to follow up and make sure that person has not been double counted.

I've been spending some time recently looking at old census records and have been so thankful for them. Without them, I wouldn't have a clue that my great-greats were born in Holland.

The last census thread I posted on was deleted...let's see how this one fairs.

When the census came, I filled it out. I sent it back. No one working as a census worker has called or come by.

Last census I can't remember if we got a form, but I definitely remember the phone call. I participated in that politely. The man had an interesting accent, he was also very polite and I actually thanked him for what he was doing. It must be a relief for him to deal with someone who was polite, who don't hang up or yell.

I have always had a fascination with family history and was able to trace information I didn't previously have using the 1880 or 1900 census. I think it's interesting to see what is listed as occupation, what the members of the household were doing, such as going to school, mother's helper, farm hand, mechanic to name a few.

Due representation, electoral college votes? Is that what that is called, Mrs. Mungo, Bill, anybody? I think maybe most people just don't care, feel totally unrepresented, and don't totally understand how the government can work in their favor.

My father would get ticked off about something and he always went to the post office where our representative would meet with his constituents.

Are any of us doing that, are our representatives making themselves available so that we the people can let them know what we're thinking in person??

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

Due representation, electoral college votes? Is that what that is called, Mrs. Mungo, Bill, anybody?

Are you asking what sort of representation is based on the census? The census determines how many seats your state gets in the House of Representatives. The number of representatives is fixed at 435. It is re-allocated with each census. To take two completely random examples-if Florida has low participation in the census and Massachusetts has high participation, then Florida might lose a seat and Massachusetts might gain a seat. States are allocated a certain number of electoral college votes based on how many members of Congress (Representatives and Senators) they have been allocated. That means that if a state loses a House of Representative, they also lose an electoral college vote.

I think maybe most people just don't care, feel totally unrepresented, and don't totally understand how the government can work in their favor.

My father would get ticked off about something and he always went to the post office where our representative would meet with his constituents.

Are any of us doing that, are our representatives making themselves available so that we the people can let them know what we're thinking in person??

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

Members of Congress do have town hall meetings, meet privately with certain groups of individuals and so forth. I have written to and emailed with my representatives *many* times. I live really far from the state in which I vote, so, attending one of these meetings isn't really convenient. ;) Edited by Mrs Mungo

Members of Congress do have town hall meetings, meet privately with certain groups of individuals and so forth. I have written to and emailed with my representatives *many* times. I live really far from the state in which I vote, so, attending one of these meetings isn't really convenient. ;)

I've written my rep once on an issue (the freedmen issue) and received a nasty little form letter on how he supports taking away recognition of Cherokee Nation. I've not written him on any issues since. He doesn't care about anything except his own agenda, not what those he's representing care about.

I've written my rep once on an issue (the freedmen issue) and received a nasty little form letter on how he supports taking away recognition of Cherokee Nation. I've not written him on any issues since. He doesn't care about anything except his own agenda, not what those he's representing care about.

That's too bad. :( I've received form letters in some cases but actual answers in other cases and I'm a blue voter in a very red state.

We just put the number that is in our home and that is it!! We felt that all the other questions were UNconstitutional!! The constitution said census is for counting only. No other information is needed. If they want more information they can come here and ask but I will let them know that is not constitutional and will refuse to answer the rest.

Holly

I really don't understand why people feel so violated by the census. Usually, when a topic comes up, I can at least see the other side's point of view, even if I don't agree with it, but how on earth can you get upset about verifying demographic info that's already public record anyway for the purposes of accurate representation? Seriously, which part of that is at all bad?

I think some people are so anti-government that they work themselves into a frenzy over anything to do with the government, whether it makes sense or not.

We just put the number that is in our home and that is it!! We felt that all the other questions were UNconstitutional!! The constitution said census is for counting only. No other information is needed. If they want more information they can come here and ask but I will let them know that is not constitutional and will refuse to answer the rest.

Names and birthdates help to cross-check to make sure people are not counted twice. The very first census in 1790 asked for the name of the head of household (the only one who voted at the time) and numbers for other groups of people (grouped by age and race). James Madison wrote 5 out of the 6 questions for the first census. Thomas Jefferson was the one who oversaw the first census. I think they knew what was intended by the Constitution. The other questions on the current census are just checks to make sure you didn't leave anyone out or count anyone who isn't supposed to be counted.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/why/constitutional.php

The 2010 questionnaire is one of the shortest in history, and comes very close to the length and scope of inquiries asked in 1790. Everyone in the household answers seven questions: name, gender, race, ethnicity, and whether they sometimes live somewhere else. The head of household answers how many people live in the residence, whether it is a house, apartment, or mobile home, and provides a telephone number for Census workers to follow up if any information is incomplete or missing.

The names of everyone in the household have been recorded since the 1850 census. The census has been challenged in the courts several times and has never lost.

It is constitutional to include questions in the decennial census beyond those concerning a simple count of the number of people. On numerous occasions, the courts have said the Constitution gives Congress the authority to collect statistics in the census. As early as 1870, the Supreme Court characterized as unquestionable the power of Congress to require both an enumeration and the collection of statistics in the census. The Legal Tender Cases, Tex.1870; 12 Wall., U.S., 457, 536, 20 L.Ed. 287. In 1901, a District Court said the Constitution's census clause (Art. 1, Sec. 2, Clause 3) is not limited to a headcount of the population and "does not prohibit the gathering of other statistics, if 'necessary and proper,' for the intelligent exercise of other powers enumerated in the constitution, and in such case there could be no objection to acquiring this information through the same machinery by which the population is enumerated." United States v. Moriarity, 106 F. 886, 891 (S.D.N.Y.1901).

These decisions are consistent with the Supreme Court's recent description of the census as the "linchpin of the federal statistical system … collecting data on the characteristics of individuals, households, and housing units throughout the country." Dept. of Commerce v. U.S. House of Representatives, 525 U.S. 316, 341 (1999).

In no way are the questions unconstitutional. The census is one of the few activities taken on by the federal government that is *extremely* constitutional. It is intended to count everyone and make sure nobody is counted twice. That's it.

If you don't want to answer, they'll just procure your information in another way (tax records, birth records, etc are a matter of public record). Not filling out the form costs the government extra money and actually affords you *less* privacy since you'll have several government people going through your records to get your information.

I really don't understand why people feel so violated by the census. Usually, when a topic comes up, I can at least see the other side's point of view, even if I don't agree with it, but how on earth can you get upset about verifying demographic info that's already public record anyway for the purposes of accurate representation? Seriously, which part of that is at all bad?

I think some people are so anti-government that they work themselves into a frenzy over anything to do with the government, whether it makes sense or not.

I totally agree. I often argue from a devil's advocate standpoint. I don't always believe what *I personally think* is what government should do. However, this is one of the few topics on which I cannot see the other side, at *all*. There is no argument to make. The census does *exactly* what the founding fathers intended.

I totally agree. I often argue from a devil's advocate standpoint. I don't always believe what *I personally think* is what government should do. However, this is one of the few topics on which I cannot see the other side, at *all*. There is no argument to make. The census does *exactly* what the founding fathers intended.

I could not agree more!

:patriot:

Bill

Honestly, anyone that has done genealogy and looked at census records would know that THIS census is no where near as intrusive as others.

This one does not ask everyone's occupation, which kids are in school or at home, or whether you are literate or not.

It just doesn't make sense to me to actively avoid something that the government is constitutionally mandated to do in order to insure that you have adequate representation in government. Do you want your state/congressional district to be under-represented in Congress?

Well, that is indeed what the census should be for - number of representatives. However, the "commercials" I have heard on the radio are saying things along the lines of "if you want _________ to get the money/funds needed" then fill out your census form. That isn't what it is supposed to be about.

The whole Cherokee Nation or just the Freedmen?

The whole Cherokee Nation or just the Freedmen?

The Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma over the issue of the freedmen. I believe this issue is mostly with Cherokee Nation, not sure if the Eastern Band is affected or not, and has nothing to do with Cherokee Nation of Mexico (that I know of). There has been a back and forth over whether the freedmen should continue to be permitted tribal membership. Certain people in the government, I believe specifically a politician from California, are accusing the Cherokee Nation of breaking treaty, a treaty that the US Gov broke over a hundred years ago themselves.

It boils down to tribal sovereignty. Do the Cherokee get to decide who may have tribal membership or does the US government.

Edited by mommaduck

I agree. I'm a proud owner of a tinfoil hat (:D) but I answered all my census questions and sent them in. There's nothing there they probably don't already know anyway.

The Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma over the issue of the freedmen. I believe this issue is mostly with Cherokee Nation, not sure if the Eastern Band is affected or not, and has nothing to do with Cherokee Nation of Mexico (that I know of). There has been a back and forth over whether the freedmen should continue to be permitted tribal membership. Certain people in the government, I believe specifically a politician from California, are accusing the Cherokee Nation of breaking treaty, a treaty that the US Gov broke over a hundred years ago themselves.

It boils down to tribal sovereignty. Do the Cherokee get to decide who may have tribal membership or does the US government.

Well they are the descendants of the slaves of the Cherokee. IMO they should be left on their rolls. I was really disgusted they booted them out.

I have visited hundreds of homes in my community and everyone (but one refusal) was pleasant and respectful. Not at all like being a telemarketer! I'm paid well, I can go to work when my dh gets home and it is very temporary. Short and sweet. :D I don't know if you need to be a patriot to be a census worker, but I'm in it for the money. ;) By my estimate, I will have made about $5,000 in two months. If I lived somewhere where I was treated with disrespect, I would just pack it in and be done.

Maybe it depends on where you live in the country, but reading this thread makes me proud of my little northwest corner of NJ! I was invited in to sit and cool off, cold drinks, and even dinner at one house (I said no, but is smelled soooo good, lol!). :hurray: NJ!!

$5000? Really? Man. That's amazing. I almost signed up to work but didn't really think I'd make enough money for it to be worthwhile.

$5000? Really? Man. That's amazing. I almost signed up to work but didn't really think I'd make enough money for it to be worthwhile.

They were paying $12 an hour in NC - that wouldn't get you anywhere near $5000! I didn't sign up because of child care - dh's work hours are so weird at times.

Some of the older forms asked far more questions. I can read historic returns and determine which of my ancestors could read and write, what their state and country of birth was, if they spoke English, if they attended school, how many children a woman had had and how many were still living, and on at least one census if the men had fought for the South in the Civil War.

The family historian in me is glad that my ancestors didn't run off the census taker.

I agree!!! I've used past censuses to trace my family line back hundreds of years! Now future generations will be able to use them too.

Well they are the descendants of the slaves of the Cherokee. IMO they should be left on their rolls. I was really disgusted they booted them out.

:) Unfortunately, it would take a whole different thread to discuss this issue out. Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to explain it either, though I can see CN's reasons. I could see the freedmen's reasons IF they weren't already trumped by proving the CN's reasons that I understand.

They were paying $12 an hour in NC - that wouldn't get you anywhere near $5000! I didn't sign up because of child care - dh's work hours are so weird at times.

In NJ they are paying $20/hr and .50¢ a mile. Child care was hard during training but since then, I make my hours around my husbands hours. 40 hours a week/ 8 weeks = $6400 + approx 250 for gas/milage. Take out taxes and I should have about 5 grand. :w00t:

I agree!!! I've used past censuses to trace my family line back hundreds of years! Now future generations will be able to use them too.

Oh I almost forgot, they also used to ask what state each person was born in (that would be a hoot for military families, you could see who was transient and who wasn't) and which state the grandparents were born in.

Grow up. It's a joke. From a movie. If a lawyer gets murdered can we never tell a lawyer joke? What about a blonde? A liberal?

You make "jokes" about shooting Census workers. We have members of this forum whose spouses are working on the Census, or who work on the Census themselves. The "joke" is not about "Census Workers", it's about taking pot-shots at people.

You must clearly understand the ugly mood in some quarters, just read this thread (and forum) for proof of that. If you think going for yucks over "jokes" about killing people who are trying to feed their families while participating in a Constitutionally mandated activity.

Do you think it helps anyone to hear jokes about a loved one potentially being shot at? Or for an American to have to do their jobs in an atmosphere of threat and intimidation?

If so, you and I have very different ideas about what's "funny", and what is not.

Bill

You make "jokes" about shooting Census workers. We have members of this forum whose spouses are working on the Census, or who work on the Census themselves. The "joke" is not about "Census Workers", it's about taking pot-shots at people.

You must clearly understand the ugly mood in some quarters, just read this thread (and forum) for proof of that. If you think going for yucks over "jokes" about killing people who are trying to feed their families while participating in a Constitutionally mandated activity.

Do you think it helps anyone to hear jokes about a loved one potentially being shot at? Or for an American to have to do their jobs in an atmosphere of threat and intimidation?

If so, you and I have very different ideas about what's "funny", and what is not.

Bill

I took her joke to mean that people who are anti-census are backwards rednecks, those in the movie were. Have you seen O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I'm so bad. I conveniently lost our census form so a worker had to come by yesterday. I'm sorry to all of you. I am costing the taxpayer more money. But, DH "answered" the questions. He actually refused to answer most of them and she didn't push it. When she asked the race question he answered, "human race". (we are a multi-racial family due to adoption). She chuckled and put down "other".

and we were told to write in whatever race the people want. Same for age and gender -- we were told to not make any judgments, and to simply note if the respondent refused to answer any questions.

I plan on just avoiding the people....just shut my door and be done with it. I can see them coming so :D

But we are instructed to make three attempts at each housing unit. If you make it clear that all you will give them is the number of people -- which everyone agrees is what The Constitution calls for -- they should take that info, thank you, and not bother you again.

you and I have very different ideas about what's "funny", and what is not.

Bill

Thank goodness. And btw, all I posted was that it reminded me of that quote. You jumped to conclusions. Big surprise. Whether you are right are not....but still there you jumped. You are right about the Mungo. She should be spokesperson, at least she thinks before she posts.

Edited by Remudamom

• 2 weeks later...

I read through this thread (yes, the whole thing) and my view on the census tactics has changed. I filled out my form, completely. All the names, dates, race, etc. I was okay with the census then.

I got a phone call a couple weeks later asking a ton of questions, like whether my baby was in the military, or his 3yo brother, or if any of my children (ages 12 and under) were currently incarcerated. Sigh... 20 minutes worth of taxpayer dollars. My view was changed to another unnecessary use of my tax dollars.

But, today was the final straw. My friend called me. She was livid. She had just kicked a census worker out of her home. She was downstairs in the basement cleaning. She came up to find a census worker asking her 15yo son a ton of questions sitting at their kitchen table. The census worker told the boy that it was too windy, and he needed to come in. He didn't ask if anyone else was at home to answer. They filled out their form. They had a headcount. This was clearly an overstepping of boundaries. Yes, the census can ask questions of a 15yo, but that boy is still a minor, and if his parent is available that worker has no business coming into the home and questioning him. He has no right to tell the boy that he must come in.

Ugh.... I suggested she call the local news station. I was livid also.

BTW, are census workers fingerprinted and screened for criminal records? Does anyone know?

But, today was the final straw. My friend called me. She was livid. She had just kicked a census worker out of her home. She was downstairs in the basement cleaning. She came up to find a census worker asking her 15yo son a ton of questions sitting at their kitchen table. The census worker told the boy that it was too windy, and he needed to come in. He didn't ask if anyone else was at home to answer. They filled out their form. They had a headcount. This was clearly an overstepping of boundaries. Yes, the census can ask questions of a 15yo, but that boy is still a minor, and if his parent is available that worker has no business coming into the home and questioning him. He has no right to tell the boy that he must come in.

Ugh.... I suggested she call the local news station. I was livid also.

BTW, are census workers fingerprinted and screened for criminal records? Does anyone know?

The census worker came this week to our home. He was an elderly man and it is already hot here, so I invited him in. He said that they are not allowed to go into homes!! Hmmm.... That makes your friends situation sound fishy!!

We have been getting many phone calls and it is driving me crazy. The last 3 have been hispanic people. (Nothing against hispanic BUT, ) I talked to a census worker yesterday. He was going around the neighborhood. So, I asked him to check for our name. Our form is completed and done. So, who is calling us? We are not sure. I've called the bureau and they said it could be the national office. ?? but they are not sure. (why haven't they sent someone to our home??) I do not have a caller id telephone so, I have to go by what the caller is telling me.

2 nights ago, the lady on the phone wanted me to give them the "information that was missing" but she couldn't tell me what exactly that was. ?? I wasn't going to give her anything. I hung up, again. I am so frustrated.

:confused: