Menu

Favorite Books About Fairies

Have you seen the Rainbow Fairies easy chapter series? My daughter who just barely turned 7 loves them, they're twaddly but easy and cute. There are about 40 of them, since there are 7 each of rainbow, weather, and jewel fairies, plus pet and holiday fairies! Yes, there is a hamster fairy. :D

And now there are sports fairies! Ha!

.There is a whole series of Disney fairy books. They're pretty awful, but my six year old is reading them on her own. They're early chapter books. They aren't inappropriate, just not good literature, but again, my six year old is voluntarily reading on her own. Sneaking the light on at night and stuff. (Which I'm secretly pretty pleased about.)

In other early chapter fairy books that aren't great literature, there is a whole series of Rainbow Fairies books. I think they are by Daisy Meadows. They're each about a different fairy. There are different colored fairies, flower fairies, music fairies, etc.

I have a six year old fairy obsessed kid too. (I even have started letting her play on pixiehollow.com)

I know you are looking for chapter books or easy readers, but my dd5 went through a huge fairy obsession recently. We had to read everything we could find on fairies. The best books we found were the Fairypedia by DK and Good Faeries Bad Faeries, which had beautiful pictures and drawings. My daughter goes through this book, picks a picture and tries to draw them all the time after we read what that fairy does. These books would have to be read to her, but they were thoroughly enjoyed at our house.

...for a 6 y.o.? Posy is asking for some new ones. Picture books or early chapter books would be about right. We don't tend to go in for the Disney Fairy/commercial-type series.

TIA!

We recently read the The Spiderwick Chronicles series. They have a bit of "Harry Potter gateway-drug" aspect to them, and the older sister (annoyingly) likes to say "cr*p" when things get tough, but my son loved them.

They are not classics in the Andrew Lang sort of way, but they aren't Disney either. And they do have a certain "page-turner" quality.

Bill

The Book of Fairies

The illustrations are gorgeous & the stories are old-style fairy tales, so you may need to take that into account to know if it's something your 6yo would like.

Fairy Houses... Everywhere! and Fairy Houses and Beyond! are not storybooks, but are photo/picture books w/ little to no text. However, each page shows an elaborately set-up 'fairy' scene created out of natural materials you would find in your yard or park. It's a great way to spur creativity & your dd will probably be inspired to build her own outdoor fairy lands based on the photos. Magic Cabin & Hearthsong also have fun fairy/elf accessories, including things like little doors & windows you can attach to your trees. Very fun for the fairy fans out there. :001_smile:

3744824798_af812b7059.jpg

If your child hasn't already seen this, he may enjoy-

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Arthur-Spiderwick's-Field-Guide-to-the-World-You/Holly-Black/Spiderwick-Chronicles-The/9780689859410

There is a newer version that is a movie tie-in, but we prefer the first.

We recently read the The Spiderwick Chronicles series. They have a bit of "Harry Potter gateway-drug" aspect to them, and the older sister (annoyingly) likes to say "cr*p" when things get tough, but my son loved them.

They are not classics in the Andrew Lang sort of way, but they aren't Disney either. And they do have a certain "page-turner" quality.

Bill

My grandma wrote a couple of sweet books about Fairies, based on fairy correspondence she kept up for a few years with her youngest granddaughter.

They are self published books, but professionally bound. They were listed for a while on Barnes & Noble and amazon, but I think she just sells them through her website now.

http://www.thefairydusttales.com/

My fairy loving dd would heartily recommend anything by Cecily Mary Barker, the author of Flower Fairies. She suggests the season poetry collections, Flower Fairies of the Spring, Flower Fairies of the Summer, and such. This dd is an avid poetry lover, and considers this author her all time favorite. I recently discovered a chapter book series based on these fairies, but I can't vouch for them yet. I have one on loan request from our library to try out.

Have you seen the Rainbow Fairies easy chapter series? My daughter who just barely turned 7 loves them, they're twaddly but easy and cute. There are about 40 of them, since there are 7 each of rainbow, weather, and jewel fairies, plus pet and holiday fairies! Yes, there is a hamster fairy. :D

And now there are sports fairies! Ha!

Yes - the girls love these - but they are of a dangerous twaddle variety - when SWB says in TWTM that these types of books will affect your child's appetite for better literature choices - she is correct!! My almost 10 year old is still reading these, over and over again - every once in a while I can get her to read something good - but mostly she chooses these time and again.

For the OP - will your daughter read picture books of fairy tales? I know they don't all involve fairies - but I can not endorse these Rainbow fairies books.

And I apologize in advance for sounding harsh - I will get off my soap box now. :tongue_smilie:

(BTW - my dd found the new sports fairies at the library today - ARRGGGGHHHH!!!!)

Guest Cindie2dds

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! We have Lang's color books as well as DK's Faery Tales, but I hadn't heard of several of these. You all have just made Birthday shopping much easier. :D

Bill

Harry Potter gateway drug?

My girls both loved the Rainbow Fairies series, and the Disney fairies books were all right but slightly less popular.

Emily Rodda has a Fairy Realm series that is pretty good. Here is a link to the first one: http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Realm-1-Charm-Bracelet/dp/0060095857

Oh, you have to get her The Girls' Book of Flower Fairies! My DD was into fairies for a long time and this one is her favorite. It's a classic, first published in the 20's, with beautiful illustrations. There are more in the series by the same author, like this one. HTH!

:iagree:

I have the second one you linked, and the first has just been added to my wishlist. I will probably get it for DDs birthday. These are really lovely books.

LOL...we love Spiderwick. We listened to all of the original series on a road trip to Ohio, and ds8 has been reading some of the books about their cousins. We did Harry Potter first (which I don't consider great literature, but I wouldn't call it candy, either). Spiderwick, however, gave rise to a desire to learn fencing, which I'm currently unable to meet. I do appreciate that Mallory is a strong female heroine. That's a big deal at our house. The Field Guide is worth it, btw. Very Froud-y and cool.

Ohgosh, we have Twig! I forgot to pull it out again now that she's reading to herself in bed. The last time we read it was a couple of years ago, and I doubt she remembers much. We have a couple of the Flower Fairy books (the complete collection of poems, and I think the Fairyopolis book), but there also appears to be a set of short chapter books on the Cicely Mary Barker fairies designed to compete with the Rainbow Fairies. I put a couple on hold at the library. She has listened to several of the fairy books...which ever ones are on LibriVox. I want to say Yellow, Lilac, Blue and possibly Red? I remember really liking Olive, though, so I'm thinking I'll track that one down. Ooh, I just looked in another tab, and a bunch of them are on Kindle for FREE!

My kids build fairy houses compulsively, so I really appreciate those fairy house titles! It made me think of Felt Wee Folk, so I asked for that one, as well. I also remembered about Kristin's Fairy House b/c of that, and our library has acquired more of those titles than they had the last time I looked, so that was a find.