Menu

S/O Scrapbooking: List Hobbies Here

O/T, can biking and reading be hobbies? Are hobbies intrinsically creative?

hob·by

n. pl. hob·bies

An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Hobby

Reading

Hiking

Skiing - main reason we moved to Colorado!

Trying out new restaurants

Wine - enjoy it and like to learn more about it while I'm enjoying it :tongue_smilie:

Travel

I just replied to the other "hobby" thread and noted that I didn't think I had many hobbies... But with the definition above, I guess I do!

Edited by Dandelion

Guest Katia
So posting on these boards is a hobby for many of us, eh?

Yes! It's my favorite hobby!

Reading - gotta love the library

Listening to music

taking pictures of things I want to remember (not that I do anything with them except look at them, LOL)

Organizing....everything! (yes, some of us poor OCD folks find that entertaining)

Around here?

Medieval re-enactment (there is an SCA_Frugality yahoo group for those trying to play on the cheap, but there are those on the list that would live on rice and beans for a month in order to pay for nice fabric. Priorities ;) )

Table top gaming (cheap)

Eating (not necessarily cheap, but easy to justify!)

Embroidery (cheap if you don't buy kits)

Tablet weaving (cheap)

Garage saleing and thrift store shopping (cheap as long as you don't go often!)

:)

Rosie

Going to yard sales

D'oh! I thought I was so good for typing "thrift store" instead of "op shop" which is the proper term :tongue_smilie: Must train self to say "yard sale" instead of "garage sale" which is the right and proper term :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I'll get this dialect right eventually...

Historical re-enactment (Fur Trade/Oregon Trail & Regency)

Ahhhh. Frocks...

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

-Gourmet raw food uncooking (as well as creative vegetarian cooking)

-Organic gardening. I am passionate about compost :). I am one of those people who loves walking into places that smell of manure, and gets excited by it. Anything related to sustainable living comes in here too.

-Reading a lot of non fiction on various subjects often related to my various hobbies, as well as spirituality from different perspectives.

-knitting (and sometimes spinning and related fibre crafts)

-last year it was sewing medieval costumes

-painting sometimes

- op shopping, but we as a family go to swap meet on Sunday mornings unless its raining heavily- not sure what you would call it over there- car boot yard? Lots of people selling stuff from their car boots, in the one big parking lot.

- walking in nature and wildflower watching at the right season

-birdwatching

-not sure if yoga and chi kung count as hobbies!

- playing with herbs and learning more about nutrition

- flower and animal vibrational remedies

- essential oils

-I love rearranging furniture

I follow my passions a lot and I have many. Homeschooling is one too, I guess- for years it was my major obsession but nowadays not so much.

Edited by Peela

O/T, can biking and reading be hobbies? Are hobbies intrinsically creative?

Hmmm...That's a good question. I enjoy baking. I enjoy yoga. But both of those activities are things I just consider part of my daily routine. Maybe it's a hobby if it is something you enjoy outside of your normal, day-to-day activities? And, no, I don't think it has to be a creative art in order to be a hobby.

So, by that definition, spinning, knitting, and scrapbooking would be my creative hobbies, and canine agility (just getting into this one) is my non-creative hobby.

I'm a research junkie - I'll seize a new subject and read everything I can get my hands on about it. I love researching! I never really considered it a hobby, though. I usually go with George Carlin on this one:

"I don't have hobbies, I have interests. Hobbies cost money. Interests are free!"

:tongue_smilie:

Edited by WarriorMama
Typos!

Guest Katia
I'm a research junkie - I'll seize a new subject and read everything I can get my hands on about it. I love researching! I never really considered it a hobby, though. I usually go with George Carlin on this one:

"I don't have hobbies, I have interests. Hobbies cost money. Interests are free!"

:tongue_smilie:

Love this!!!

Bee keeping

Raising animals

Growing, drying, and making our own herbal remedies and other products

Growing and preserving our own food

Reading

Knitting

oh, and I'm a thrift store/tag sale junkie as well... I'm in good company here!:D

Well one has turned into more than a hobby, but it still brings me much pleasure; that would be metalsmithing... (also making jewelry for alternative materials, like polymer clay, resin, glass, etc)

I also love: photography, making soap/lotion/bath goodies/perfume, gardening, knitting, sewing/fabric arts, bead weaving, reading, watching movies, listing to music, cooking, walking/hiking, going to art/craft shows,

& watching my kids grow...