Menu

Jack Russell Terrier Question

We are trying out a 2yo Jack Russell Terrier this week. She is a cute, lovable dog and great with the kids. The problem is that she insists on attacking our free range guinea fowl, and we plan on adding free range chickens by the end of the summer. Is there any way to train her to not attack the birds? I know she has this inborn trait, so I'm guessing not???

We were hoping this dog would work out since it is dh's niece's, but maybe it just isn't the dog for us.

Sorry, but there is no way in h*ll to teach a Jack Russell to stop attacking chickens if they already do it. Jack Russells are one of THE MOST "terrier" of the terriers and thier determination and instincts can be fierce! My girl friend had a Jack Russell that loved to chase a soccer ball. When she put the soccer ball away after a play sesson, this dog would stand at the cabinette where the ball was kept and stare intently for HOURS!! The only thing my friend could do was lock the dog out of the room, secretly remove the ball and hide it, then bring the dog back and show her the empty cabinette! Haha! No lie. When the dog realized she didn't know where the ball was she would relax. But if she knew where the ball was, she would litterally stare at the closed cabinette door till she dropped of exhaustion. That's a terrier for you!

p.s. I am NOT addressing those of you who have Jack Russells that are trianed not to chase poultry (if there are any). I am talking about an adult Jack Russell who already chases poultry.

We have two female JRT's and while they are the greatest dogs in the world, they have issues! I'm sorry to say that if that girl chases the chickens, there is NO WAY you are going to get her to stop. She will chase them for miles until she gets them.

Let me just tell you about my older female...so you can tell your friend...

1.) this dog was shot in the head with a be be gun...and lived.

2.) she was stuck in a ground hog hole for 10 hours one hot summer's day, had to call the fire department (3-4 departments came) and they had to used their special cameras to find her because she was so far under ground. She came out filled with dirt in her eyes and lungs...and she lived.

3.) last winter she got her throat ripped apart by what we think was a wild animal. The vet said it was the WORST injury he had ever seen. She had surgery...and lived.

4.) She has cataracts and allergies (or something) really bad and can barely breathe sometimes but she is a spit fire.

5.) We "had" a guinea pig before we got this dog (she is a rescue needless to say) and now the guinea pig lives at my mom's and dad's house, because this dog would kill her. (She already killed one that lived where she used to live).

6.) She has an obsession with licking...my legs, the wall.

7.) She LOVES to chase shadows....there is nothing better in her world than a shadow and she would literally chase them all.day.long!

She has to stay on a leash for walks as she would take off after ANYTHING on four (or two) legs and she gets into the garbage as soon as we leave the house (and our bags if we leave food in them).

Now....having said all of that....

our other JRT (the daughter of the above mentioned) is PERFECT! She is the best dog I have EVER had. She is so sweet, couldn't care less about the guinea pig, or squirrels or other dogs or anything....except for her ball. She LOVES her ball(s) and will expect us to throw them for hours. Don't think I'm kidding. If they get stuck under the t.v. cabinet or couch or behind the couch or anywhere where she can't get them, she will lay there for hours expecting someone to get them for her or she might think they are going to come out on there own. She will wimper sometimes but she doesn't move until she has one in her mouth. I often mention to my girls that they should have the same work ethic!

This breed is loyal as the day is long, but they are definately high maintainence (some of them).

I think JRTs are permanent doggie Toddlers on Meth with claws.

Sorry, I just couldn't imagine owning one after all the ones I have been around. LOL

I am sure there are some very, very sweet JRTs out there but man these little terriers just seem to go nuts at little provication. :willy_nilly::willy_nilly: I can't imagine trying to keep one from such a great play thing as fowl. In fact I think it may be just a bit cruel to even keep one in the house if they know such an incredible thing is just out side the door. The JRT would probably launch itself out a window to get to such a great chew toy.

We are trying out a 2yo Jack Russell Terrier this week. She is a cute, lovable dog and great with the kids. The problem is that she insists on attacking our free range guinea fowl, and we plan on adding free range chickens by the end of the summer. Is there any way to train her to not attack the birds? I know she has this inborn trait, so I'm guessing not???

Jack Russell's have some of the highest prey drive of any dogs around. It's incredible and ime, not changeable. We're very experienced dog people and could do a lot with our JRT but could never affect his prey drive.

K

We made the mistake of adopting a mom and her pup JRT without proper research. We have a cat. The first 6 months of their life here we had to keep the hall door closed with the cat on one side of the house, and the dogs on the other. We went on vacation and my sister watched the dogs. There was an "incident" that ended with a flipflop involved (I know probably not the PC way of training a dog, but there was a fight in progress and that's what she thought to do). Needless to say, my adult JRT has never attacked my cat again. The pup that grew up with the cat, never thought to attack it. Now my cat is the dominate animal and will lunge for the dogs on occasion (yes, I think he is one screwed up cat). All that said, this is an indoor situation, for this specific cat. If they were to see a cat outside they would be off for the hunt.

LOL!!! You hit the nail on the head. We once had a JRT "dumped" at our place. She was a fantastic dog! She was so smart, friendly, but very territorial. She was the newcomer (2 other dogs and 4 cats and numerous chickens) and thought she should be queen bee.

I wanted to make it work, but she felt it her duty to try to kill the cats. So we tried the shock collar. As we gradually moved the setting upward, it seemed she just had no feeling. Finally one jolt got her attention (maximum setting) but she kept right on going after the cat. We didn't let the chickens out of the pen to see how she would react because they aren't as smart as the cats (and have no defensive ability). I will guarantee that she would have killed them all.

We found her another home where she was the only animal. It's all good now and she's happy to be queenie.

:lol:

We "inherited" MIL's Jack Russell and the dog had some peculiar habits. Mind you we are used to animals, had dogs (larger breeds) for all our married lives.

I have to agree that they are tenacious when they get something in their head.

They may not have the lockjaw of a pitbull but they have the mind of a pitbull.

Ours chased thunder - yes, the loud noise in the sky during storms. She went wild in the house and I had to let her out or she was going to ram her head into the wall. Once outside, she went straight for the direction of the big "boom" and we would not see her until the storm had passed and she had "chased" the thunder off.

We also observed her for several days in a row as she dug out a rat living in one of the old truck engines at the back of our property. She'd make a beeline for it every morning and would almost not want to eat until she had the rat captured.

There is a reason they are called rat terrier, there is also a reason they are called names worse than that...

If this one is chasing chickens, only a strong, physical barrier may keep him/her from accomplishing his/her goal.

A neighbor's Jack Russell took a dislike for my daughters. Both girls have been raised around animals and are gentle and respectful. This dog loved me but would growl and chase my girls without provocation. When he did, it was very difficult to scare him away from them. As long as these neighbors lived nearby, my girls were afraid to play outside because of this dog. Friends laughed about the danger because Jack Russell terriers are smaller dogs but I believe this dog would have hurt one or both girls eventually. My neighbors tried to train the dog not to chase my girls but nothing was helpful. They even had a professional trainer at one point. Thankfully, they moved and took the dog with them. There is no way I would want a Jack Russell as a pet.

Ann

Edited by emzhengjiu

I grew up with a fox terrier. Loved her dearly but she bit all of us at some point & she was a dedicated cat & other small animal killer.

IF you have lots of patience, a sense of humor, and lots of time to train, I think you might be able to get it to a point that the terrier would call off the birds. But that's a lot of IF.

I have seen cat killing dogs learn to leave the house cat alone but outside cats will usually remain fair game, unless you train a really rock solid recall, and even then it relies on you being there & spotting the dog taking off after a critter & calling them off.

Lovely dogs but they need the right place.

Thank you everyone. Your comments are exactly what I was thinking. We'll be taking the dog back tomorrow. The kids will be sad, but the guineas and baby chicks will be happy.

My jack russell learned from a mean hen. She doesn't chase the yard chickens anymore. So maybe yours can learn, but it will take lots of supervision and lots of correction. She still chases magpie's, robins, squirells, leaves that blow, but not chickens. We firmly told her "NO" everythime she looked at them. We supervised continuously for months. Now she is safe with the hens if they have an escape, but I wouldn't leave her alone with babies.

Now, my 9 month old terrier, elkhound mix...... He has been found taking them to his favorite spot for a snack (lucky for them he has a soft mouth). Maybe in a couple of years he might listen to the NOs, but for now a nice fence works to separate them.

We "inherited" MIL's Jack Russell

Good Heavens. If we inherited my mom's JRT -- I can't even imagine! The dog is possessed! No way we would have her in our home!

As long as these neighbors lived nearby, my girls were afraid to play outside because of this dog. Friends laughed about the danger because Jack Russell terriers are smaller dogs but I believe this dog would have hurt one or both girls eventually.

A JRT is NOT a small dog (despite his size!). I can't believe your neighbor's laughed about this. Well, yes I can because my mom is also in denial about her dog snapping at children constantly.

There is no way I would want a Jack Russell as a pet.

Me either! Not as long as I had children, grandchildren, other pets, or livestock.

(My apologize to those of you who have disciplined JRTs.)

These posts are making me sad/mad. I think that JRT's are getting a bad rap on here. As with EVERYTHING(!) there are good and bad JRT's. I have two and while one of them can be a handful and has been through alot for a little dog, BOTH of my JRT's are a joy. They are very loyal and they are incredibly loving and funny as the day is long. My girls and I have learned to live with the "bad" things that the one does...the other one doesn't do ANYTHING wrong and I couldn't ask for a better dog. By the way, we live in a small two bedroom townhouse, not a large place with lots of room, and these dogs do just fine.

Let me say that the older one, at one time, didn't like small children but she's over that now. They can be trained, trust me they can be. I know they have a huge prey instinct but that doesn't make them monsters.

I can think of several reasons why I wouldn't want other breeds of dogs...or cats....or horses(!)...and I can understand why some people wouldn't want to own a JRT but truly, truly, they are ownable (is that a word) and loveable...given the chance.

Thank you!!!!!

These posts are making me sad/mad. I think that JRT's are getting a bad rap on here.

I've been following this thread since my husband and I recently started discussing a Jack Russell as a possible dog for Doodle. Now I am wondering... We have no other pets and a fenced in yard. I thought the high energy of the Jack Russell would be a good match for my high energy kid. They could run circles around one another all day!

We have a JRT too. She IS a handful, but she LOVES my girls and is the most playful dog with them. She does have some behaviors we are working to correct, but she's still a puppy so we have a little ways to go. She is so smart too! She has been the easiest dog to housebreak, and she's never been destructive AT ALL.

These posts are making me sad/mad. I think that JRT's are getting a bad rap on here.

Aw, sounds like your feelings got hurt! :grouphug: Nobody likes to have their heart breed slammed.

JRT's are lovely (I really like terriers!) AND there's a wide range of personalities among them.

But terriers have some character traits which many people don't appreciate.

I've written before that I think generally speaking most 'general public' people expect a golden retriever/lassie temperament out of their family pets (with no training or socialization either! it should just happen by genetics and magic!).

I think many dogs lose their homes because their people can't accept them for WHAT they actually are - which is often behaving like their breed has been designed. The hound that bays, the husky which runs, the terrier which digs and kills, the shepherd which barks and growls at strangers - that's what they were designed for. We can modify and train and adjust some things, but their characteristics are what makes them special & unique - & if people don't appreciate those characteristics, they shouldn't get that breed.

I think the OP's specific situation would require a large commitment on the part of the family to train & manage & fence etc.

Terriers of all kinds can be wonderful family pets. We adored our wire fox. She was an amazing dog, such a HUGE heart in her. Although I tend to favour large dogs, and English Setters are my heart breed, I can imagine adding a terrier to our pack.

Though you know in training class & dog sports, most trainers refer to JRT's as jack russel terrors or terrorists ......:tongue_smilie: ...... but it's a term of endearment :D

big tail wags from my guys to yours ~

:lol:

I met a woman who has a couple of JRT's and when she referred to them as Jack Russell Terrorists I had to LOL. My neighbor has two as well and one of them hates me. If I'm in the room he will spend his whole time barking at me. You could say I'm not fond of the breed.

Cinder

Oh trust me...when they don't like you...they don't like you! My brother has one and when my daughter was about 8, this thing would grab her by the hair and try to pull her across the room. The dog also bit a hole in that same daughter's pajama pants once. I cannot STAND that JRT. Thankfully I have never met one like her since!

The older one we have (the one with the problems) once bit my mom in the shin because there was a shadow on her leg. It was the funniest thing in the world! No really, it was, even though she didn't see it coming (my mom) she laughed too.

Seriously, they will keep you smiling all day long. To say they can be a handful is an understatement but they are such fun.

As with anything...human or animal...there are instances of bad breeding to be sure, I guess we just got "lucky" with the ones we have. Oh and I am totally a big dog lover. Little dogs scare me! My one Jack thinks she's a St. Bernard and will take on dogs 10 times her size....and they usually run away from her! :lol::lol::lol:

My parents accidentally trained their Jack Russell to bite the TV whenever anyone who wasn't American came on during the Olympics. They thought it was hilarious to see him try to bite the skiers as they went down the hill (on the screen.)

Wasn't so funny when he continued to jump up and bite the screen EVERY SINGLE TIME they EVER watched tv again, for the next EIGHT years. They had to put him on a leash to keep him by their side whenever they watched tv.

Once they are hooked on doing something (chasing chickens, biting skiers) they just don't stop.

And to take up for JRTs, my dad developed a fierce love for that dog. When the dog died, he buried the dog in the yard and hand made and painted a tombstone. (The dog's name was Chainsaw.)

When my dad would come home from work, he'd come in the front door in silence, walk through the house to the grave, and stand over it. He just loved that dog more than anything. It was so spirited and it loved us just as fiercely.

JRTs just seem to do everything bigger than other animals--more intense, more loving, more of everything.

When my dad would come home from work, he'd come in the front door in silence, walk through the house to the grave, and stand over it. He just loved that dog more than anything. It was so spirited and it loved us just as fiercely.

Aww. :crying:

You know, I think that's the power of certain breeds. Some breeds just intensely adore and bond with their people - whereas others will happily abandon you for the person with better cookies in their pocket :glare:. Have you seen some labs? Total floozies, will just follow the best treats or the person with the tennis ball. Bye mom! This guy has a chuck-it! Oh, all right, I'll come back. After I visit this lady with cookies!

Terriers are just not like that. They might run off to bite someone's ankle but then they come running back - Hey! I killed that ankle for you! Are you proud? Are you? I adore you!

• 9 months later...

Some breeds just intensely adore and bond with their people - whereas others will happily abandon you for the person with better cookies in their pocket :glare:. Have you seen some labs? Total floozies, will just follow the best treats or the person with the tennis ball. Bye mom! This guy has a chuck-it! Oh, all right, I'll come back. After I visit this lady with cookies!

Terriers are just not like that. They might run off to bite someone's ankle but then they come running back - Hey! I killed that ankle for you! Are you proud? Are you? I adore you!

I know this is a very old thread, but this made me LOL!! Having two labs, I can TOTALLY relate to this. My fav lab, who was my baby, has left me in favor of my brother who has come to live with us for a spell. Why? Because my brother takes him for walks...not just once, but several times a DAY...feeds him his people food...sooo not allowed!!...Lets him sleep ON his bed...yuck!...and plays ball with him CONSTANTLY!! Yeah, my 'baby' has left his first love for a live-in. This is the dog who used to follow me everyone. Could not stand to be without me. I can't even get him to look at me anymore unless I offer him some type of delectable food. :lol:

Sorry, but there is no way in h*ll to teach a Jack Russell to stop attacking chickens if they already do it. Jack Russells are one of THE MOST "terrier" of the terriers and thier determination and instincts can be fierce!

:iagree:

Yes. This. Jack Russell Terriers are programmed to give chase to prey. Thousands of generations of genetics make them do this. They are hard-wired. I have trained several Jacks, and IMHO, they could not ever be reliably trained to ignore prey scattered around the yard, pecking and making prey-type clucking noises.

Nope. I wouldn't even try. You'll be asking them to do something that they just cannot do.

astrid