Menu

North Carolina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We live SE Charlotte, going on 17 years now. We have always homeschooled our daughter who just turned 9 and started 4th grade!

I know other states/cities have "met". Is there anyone in Charlotte who would be interested in attending a family picnic this summer? If so, send a pm and we can get the ball rolling......I think it would be fun!

Perhaps we could spin off for a state-wide "get together".

We're moving to the Fort Bragg area.

I'd love to email with anyone who would be willing to share information regarding the area (best places to live, homeschool groups, etc.)

Please email or PM me, if you'd be willing to correspond. Thanks.

Blessings!

We live SE Charlotte, going on 17 years now. We have always homeschooled our daughter who just turned 9 and started 4th grade!

I know other states/cities have "met". Is there anyone in Charlotte who would be interested in attending a family picnic this summer? If so, send a pm and we can get the ball rolling......I think it would be fun!

Perhaps we could spin off for a state-wide "get together".

We just moved from Charlotte. I think there are few on here that are on the HBEC classical yahoo group.

We live in So Cal and have been toying with the idea of moving to North Carolina. We have 2 families that we know that have moved from Orange County Ca. to Cary NC. What are the main differences between Raleigh and Cary?

Still interested....

Denise

We live in So Cal and have been toying with the idea of moving to North Carolina. We have 2 families that we know that have moved from Orange County Ca. to Cary NC. What are the main differences between Raleigh and Cary?

Still interested....

Denise

Cary's the cleaner, wealthier neighbor of Raleigh.

We also moved from CA to near Raleigh about 21 months ago, but we were from Sacramento. Everyone we left behind are jealous of our huge house that cost less than theirs, our lower taxes, and our clean air.;) We have been able to give our children a much better life out here. The benefits would be even better moving out of So Cal...just consider how much less traffic you'd have to sit in!

We are looking to relocate from Portland, Oregon to the Asheville area - we would like to be within driving distance to our family (MD and PA). How's the homeschool climate there in Asheville? We're visiting soon and can't wait!

Hi Linda,

We moved from Ashland, Oregon! There are a lot of choices in the area for homeschoolers. One suggestion is to go to Yahoo Groups and do a search for Asheville and WNC and join some of the area email loops. It really isn't a complete feel for the area groups, but will give you some idea of what is here. Then you will know what you want to check out when you visit.

We had fantastic groups in Oregon!

TFJ

Hi Linda,

We moved from Ashland, Oregon! There are a lot of choices in the area for homeschoolers. One suggestion is to go to Yahoo Groups and do a search for Asheville and WNC and join some of the area email loops. It really isn't a complete feel for the area groups, but will give you some idea of what is here. Then you will know what you want to check out when you visit.

We had fantastic groups in Oregon!

TFJ

Ashland, OR is beautiful.............we've taken a couple of trips down there.

So, as far as WNC, you know - I've joined many of the yahoo groups but, you are right about the groups not giving a complete feel. The local group seems especially quiet.....but, maybe that's because there's so much going on!:001_smile: I'm sure we'll find our way......it's just nice to slip right into a homeschooling community when you move. How long have you been there?

Thank you Jessi for the info. The folks that moved from OC to NC were native Southern Californians...they aren't looking back, they love it there. I'm a little worried about the weather, but the cost of living and HOUSING! is amazing compared to here. I like the idea of less traffic too.

Does Raleigh have more character than Cary? The last thing I want is more tract housing! Although I do hear Cary has a Trader Joes ;)

Denise

Does Raleigh have more character than Cary? The last thing I want is more tract housing! Although I do hear Cary has a Trader Joes ;)

Denise

Cary has a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, plus a mall with every store you'd need. I have only been to the dirty downtown parts of Raleigh and it wasn't impressive. There's Apex also, which is just past Cary going away from Raleigh. It's cheaper than Cary.

It's weird here (compared to CA) for housing. You'll be driving through a wooded area and wham! there's a tract housing area, then more woods or farms. The same with shopping, tons of trees and suddenly a driveway starting the shopping.

We now live an hour from Raleigh and don't get out that way often anymore.

As for the weather, I'm hanging out inside with the air on whether it's 85 and humid or 105 and dry, so it's not too life altering.:D

Ashland, OR is beautiful.............we've taken a couple of trips down there.

So, as far as WNC, you know - I've joined many of the yahoo groups but, you are right about the groups not giving a complete feel. The local group seems especially quiet.....but, maybe that's because there's so much going on!:001_smile: I'm sure we'll find our way......it's just nice to slip right into a homeschooling community when you move. How long have you been there?

Linda,

It took us a while to find our way here. It may have been the ages of my children at that time or...? We used to do a newsletter of events, but it got to be too much for my family to manage. I think the Yahoo loops do not really make up for this type of community resource. I would suggest coming and trying different events and groups. It feels more oriented tot he individual here, rather than the large group support we had in Oregon. I would maybe post asking for activities based on your children's ages and interests and see what people offer. Then try some activities and see how it goes. There is a co-op (and more are forming) that is a good opening type activity.

We do really love it here and have no regrets. :)

TFJ

Linda,

We moved here in 1999. Our eldest is now 18 and our youngest is 11. Nope... none in between. I think there are a number of different groups here and they just seem to be more separate from each other than our groups in Oregon. There are many, many activities and other homeschooling families, so I guess it just requires finding your own niche.

Let us know when you are in town!

TFJ

TFJ,

Thanks for all your info. You know, the separate, kinda small homeschool groups are what we have here in Portland - for the most part. It does make it a little hard to break into a group if you're an outsider. For the last 5 years we've been a part of a small co-op with 6 - 7 families. Well, I'm sure we'll find our niche there, too. I have a 10 yo dd, 8 yo ds and a 6 yo ds. What part of town are you in? We're flying in on the 4th of July! I'll email you when we get there.

thanks!

We are looking to relocate from Portland, Oregon to the Asheville area - we would like to be within driving distance to our family (MD and PA). How's the homeschool climate there in Asheville? We're visiting soon and can't wait!

What part of MD and PA does your family live in?

I grew up in western MD. Even though we were in MD, we only got PA TV stations - Pittsburgh, Johnstown, and Uniontown. My husband grew up in Baltimore, and I lived there 11 years.

What part of MD and PA does your family live in?

I grew up in western MD. Even though we were in MD, we only got PA TV stations - Pittsburgh, Johnstown, and Uniontown. My husband grew up in Baltimore, and I lived there 11 years.

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD, but lived in and around DC after college and worked in Arlington - where I met my husband's roommate who introduced us. My DH is from the Lancaster PA area. His parents now live in Pittsburgh, though.

LizzyBee, where in NC are you now?

Linda,

We are in Weaverville, just north of Asheville. Email us when you get in! :001_smile:

TFJ

TFJ -

For our vacation stay in the Asheville area, we almost rented a house in Weaverville......and it's definitely one of the areas we're going to check out for a possible place to buy in the future. There's a new co-op of sorts starting up out that way by a woman who lived in Portland for 6 years.

• 1 month later...
Guest terbolily

We really like how family/homeschool friendly this area is. I have a 7 yo and a 1 yo. We're just starting our first official year in Sept kindof doing a cross between CM & Classical. We haven't lived here long and are still in the process of connecting with other homeschoolers. any other raleigh-ites interested in meeting up sometime? :)