Menu

Funny, quirky curriculum?

Momling

I've found my 8 yr old daughter responds *really* well to books whose authors have a sense of humor. Her favorite books ever are Mythlopedia and Take me back, but these aren't really curriculum...

She thinks Minimus is hilarious and Galore Park Jr. History has some silly cartoons that she likes.

I've got Life of Fred Fractions and MCT ready to go for next year, but can you think of anything else? Anything to look forward to as she gets older?

Thanks!

Oh, you're singing my dd's song!

I was definitely going to suggest Life of Fred and MCT.

Ellen McHenry's The Brain, like her chemistry, has humor in it. Can't speak to her other offerings. Dd has loved these.

Latin Prep is quirky, too. We've just started with it but she said "hey, this is kind of funny, like Fred!"

Not curriculum, but she loves the "Cartoon Guide to.." whatever. She's used the Physics one this year and ran off with the Environment and Genetics when they got here (supposed to be for next year!).

I thought of Horrible Histories and Murderous Math books too.

My daughter and I are also currently on a treasure hunt for ungrammatical and misspelled signs and posters around town and on the internet. We also love to read the entries for the "Dark and Stormy Night" yearly contest (the idea is to write the first sentence of an imaginary novel in as ludicrous a manner as possible; edit first yourself since some are more suggestive than others).

Tom Lehrer's song "Elements" is a riot; I also wondered whether the Lyrical Science songs would be fun for your daughter now or in a few years. Another fun thing with music: there are three CDs, although the first is be far the best, which set famous bits of classical music to silly lyrics. I think the name is Beethoven's Wig. My daughter adored those and wore out the discs with listening at around your child's age.

We also love to read the entries for the "Dark and Stormy Night" yearly contest (the idea is to write the first sentence of an imaginary novel in as ludicrous a manner as possible; edit first yourself since some are more suggestive than others).

Thanks for the reminder about this site. I needed a laugh!

Have you used this? Are there samples? :bigear:

I learned about Don't Forget to Write here when I inquired about curriculum to supplement IEW. My 5th grader is in her first year and while it's very beneficial, she needed and wanted more in the way of doing the actual writing. I wanted something that would be fun and have ample room for creativity and this has been great. If you need something structured that is going to tell the kids what to do or emphasizes a particular something, this isn't for you.:)

I couldn't find any samples online, but it's a collection of descriptions of the successful writing workshops they conduct. The first one is called "Writing For Pets" and in it they describe writing for animals, then the kids do it, then they bring in pets to listen to what they've written.

Here's what they tell them about cats (with a disclaimer that they don't know if any of this is true, but it inspires great writing).

Cats: Cats like literature more than any other species, and they enjoy it on several levels. Mostly, they enjoy napping on it. But they also enjoy being read to, especially if they can sit in your lap. They're sophisticated listeners who understand irony and dark humor. Lemony Snicket-type stories are ideal. They also like fanciful tales and stories about dictators. Most of all, cats like reading about themselves. Nothing will make your cat happier than an essay on her best qualities. Cats also enjoy writing. PUt your cat on the keyboard and just see what she produces!

They go on to describe writing preferences of dogs, birds, fish, vermin and pests, and pet mice/hamsters/guinea pigs.

Because we have a cat that's been in charge of the place since he joined the family when he was a week old, daughter decided to do a dictator cat story last week. I tweaked the assignment and had her research the format of Wikipedia biographies and write it in that style.

Some topics include handouts they give the kids. I think we'll be using some for The Journal of Parafictitious Scientific Inquiry before the year is out.:D

I'll add, since another thread reminded me of it, Typing of the Dead! It's a typing tutor that has you racing to type phrases or risk having your brain eaten by zombies. It's something of a classic. :)

Granted, you may need a kid that's got a geeky sense of humour to really enjoy it but I intend to buy it when and if I ever see it at a reasonable price.

It's not really curriculum, but I can recommend a couple books.

Goonie Bird Green #1 is a hilarious story about a girl who uses her creativity & imagination in telling stories of her life. There are some great "jumping off points" in it for learning what makes a good story and what every story needs.

Sir Cumference series - these are a great way to introduce math vocabulary and begin building a foundation on some concepts such as circumference, radius, diameter, area, perimeter...

HTH!

Jacob's Algebra has cartoons in each lesson. And Spectrum Chemistry has odd little quirky stuff thrown in - like a pic of a cute kitty, w/ a caption underneath that says something along the lines of, here's a picture that will make you feel warm and fuzzy about chemistry...

I just got "Take Me Back" (DK Publishing) a few weeks ago. It's written with a good sense of humor... and spans from the beginning of history right up to current day (last entry is "War on Terror").

I would have to say I'm not thrilled with the binding of the book though (very cheap) and at least 2 of the pages got messed up as they were inserted into the book.... I won't use this as a spine, per say... but I will use it to supplement. I know my son will love it!

I knew you guys would have some great ideas! Thank you! Thank you for everything!

I'd forgotten about the horrible histories... And I've always skipped over the Ellen McHenry stuff. But you've made me re-think that one. I took a look at some samples and now can't wait to use all of it! Luckily there's plenty of time...