Menu

MCT... What learning types would you say 'LOVE' this program?

butterfly113

I keep hearing wonderful things about MCT. I know it has been around for quite a while. I have looked at samples online for most of the levels, and it does look impressive. I get the concept of it, and like how it is implemented.

We are currently using R&S. While it isn't 'broken'... and ds is doing okay with it... I am finding him 'memorizing' things... and at times he seems to get something, and then then next, he guesses. When we are completing the lessons, he gets it... but if I bring up something in another subject, sometimes I get the deer in the head lights look... and am beginning to wonder if the 'hows and whys' are really cementing with him. kwim?

So for those of you using MCT... what learning style/type are your children? Who is it really working with? And who not so much???

My DS is a highly verbal learner. He can learn with lectures and will do well, but when you give him something to read he will not onlly learn it but will be able to teach it to someone else. He does not like mindless repetition or lengthy worksheets. If he can get the process right the first couple of times he doesn't see the need to do it 20 more times. Once he learns a topic he wants to move on, going higher up and deeper in. He doesn't like books that make him feel like a baby or an idiot. (You and I would call them 'dumbed' down.)

For DS the higher levels of MCT are working. The vocabulary is on his level or beyond. The text is written in a way that challenges DS's thinking process and brings in a little whimsy without seeming childish or immature. With 4practice DS can show what he knows in one or two sentences a day and he's done. The 4practice sentences are taken from literature and have meaning. When a particular sentence catches DS's eye he can go look up the reference and learn something about history or find a novel that interests him. Other programs we looked into would have sentences created specifically for the program and would mean absolutely nothing to anyone except the person who wrote it.

DS does not like memorization for memorization's sake, for him that becomes busy work (meaning no depth). With MCTLA he is required to learn concepts and word stems and then use them on a daily basis. There is real application in the process.

I have more to say but I just looked at the time and if I don't scoot I will be late for work.

If I remember I will write more later.

but when you give him something to read he will not onlly learn it but will be able to teach it to someone else. He does not like mindless repetition or lengthy worksheets. If he can get the process right the first couple of times he doesn't see the need to do it 20 more times. Once he learns a topic he wants to move on, going higher up and deeper in. He doesn't like books that make him feel like a baby or an idiot

This describes my #3 son perfectly. #4 son can learn almost anything in any manner - he's lazy but very gifted so this program works to promote learning at his potential.

I think that MCT works for us more because *I* like it so much, rather that DD's learning style. She isn't gifted. She doesn't like hard work or challenges. She would be satisified doing a page of mindless drivel, but I wouldn't be. She memorizes things easily, but applying them is more difficult.

Okay, here are my other thoughts. These have nothing to do with learning style though, so you may find them to be off topic.

---

There is a big reason DS likes MCTLA, although he cannot articulate it. MCT approaches language arts in a way that doesn't make a boy feel less masculine for enjoying language arts. So many language arts programs have been ultrafeminized in order to bridge the gender gap in education. In our experience in ps, boys who like writing, word play and poetry are not looked upon favorably. MCT uses excerpts from literature, history and poetry that speak to boys (and girls); they are not quite androgynous, feminine examples are included, but not every poem or example is focused on flowery, girly themes. Not all poems are about love and gushy stuff; there are poems about creepy crawlies, war and battles, and all kinds of things that boys like and will speak to a boy's curiosity.

This is a curriculum written by a man and I think MCT brings his personality to the series. I am not saying that it is written for boys nor am I saying that girls won't like it. I am simply saying that MCT does a great job in balancing the masculine and feminine perspective in the books.

That's a very interesting observation, Dragon. I think you may have hit on something that causes MCT to appeal to us as well. I, myself, have always been more attracted to "boyish" books (pirates, marooning, adventure, etc.). I'm going to be watching for evidence of this idea for the next few weeks and see how it plays out.

That's a very interesting observation, Dragon. I think you may have hit on something that causes MCT to appeal to us as well. I, myself, have always been more attracted to "boyish" books (pirates, marooning, adventure, etc.). I'm going to be watching for evidence of this idea for the next few weeks and see how it plays out.

I will be waiting to read what you think.

Ds is both visual and auditory when it comes to learning, and I am not sure if it's the "learning style" that makes this curriculum clicks with someone.

We've tried different language arts programs before, none of them made sense to ds. With MCT, it just makes so much sense to him. The author uses words and phrases kids can relate to to speak to them, he does not talk down to them. Ds feel that Mr. Thompson writes as if he has such high expectation of him because he believes he can handle the material. He (Mr. Thompson) asks intelligent questions in a very non-threatening way. Plus, he has a great sense of humor. I don't know how many times we burst out laughing during lessons.

It's really hard to put a finger to it. I still don't know why ds respects MCT and his authority so much. He has never done that with any curriculum writers.

I am considering MCT for all the reasons stated here, I have an advanced 4th grader (in LA) but I KNOW her grammar has holes in it from ps. What level should I start with? I was thinking 1st level for her (quickly) and my 3rd grader (slowly). Also on a budget but will do what is best, can you do well with only the teachers manual? diff of $70!!!

Lara

Dragon Academy - It was noted in prior MCT threads that it seemed that most of those who were having great success w/ MCT were homeschoolers with boys. I do agree w/ you that it very much appeals to boys and I felt part of that was b/c it was written by a man. We've done GI, and are half way through SI as well as BL and MotH. We are also reading Wind in the Willows and we are enjoying it so much more after having done MotH.

My DS is a highly verbal learner. He can learn with lectures and will do well, but when you give him something to read he will not onlly learn it but will be able to teach it to someone else. He does not like mindless repetition or lengthy worksheets. If he can get the process right the first couple of times he doesn't see the need to do it 20 more times. Once he learns a topic he wants to move on, going higher up and deeper in. He doesn't like books that make him feel like a baby or an idiot. (You and I would call them 'dumbed' down.)

DS does not like memorization for memorization's sake, for him that becomes busy work (meaning no depth). With MCTLA he is required to learn concepts and word stems and then use them on a daily basis. There is real application in the process.

This soooo much describes my son as well. He learns best through story and discussion (can't wait for us to get to LOF!). He is an avid reader with a large vocabulary. MCT is the perfect fit for him.

However, I don't want to paint the picture that it can only work with verbal kids. That just happens to be my experience since I have not tried it with my hands on learner yet...he is still too young.

I am not quite on the "learning styles" bandwagon. My kids have varying degrees of all the general learning styles.

I completely agree with the reasoning behind why boys connect with it so well. Dragon Academy might well have been writing about my sons as well...

However, I would have loved this when I was a kid... for exactly all the same reasons.

You've described my son!!!! HHHmmmm

capt_uhura

This soooo much describes my son as well. He learns best through story and discussion (can't wait for us to get to LOF!). He is an avid reader with a large vocabulary. MCT is the perfect fit for him.

This is the thing that keeps drawing me towards MCT. My dd is like this. She likes Singapore math, but can't wait to get to LOF. She loves reading. The part that gives me pause is that I like Rod and Staff. I like the built in review, and that it includes diagramming.

I know most MCT users are saying that their kids have good retention with MCT. How is that accomplished? My dd doesn't like a lot of repetition, but I am finding that she does best with a spiral program. The review in Rod and Staff has been good for her.

Jan

I know most MCT users are saying that their kids have good retention with MCT. How is that accomplished? My dd doesn't like a lot of repetition, but I am finding that she does best with a spiral program. The review in Rod and Staff has been good for her.

MCT introduces the big picture all at once, then you use every single thing you've learned in every practice sentence - all the parts of speech, all the kinds of phrases and clauses. So there's constant review, but it's not tedious at all - it's like a puzzle to be solved. My kids all love the 4-level analysis. I wasn't planning on using Island with my younger dd, but she begged me. What could I do?

MCT introduces the big picture all at once, then you use every single thing you've learned in every practice sentence - all the parts of speech, all the kinds of phrases and clauses. So there's constant review, but it's not tedious at all - it's like a puzzle to be solved. My kids all love the 4-level analysis.

:iagree: My kids love it! My ds who usually has to be threatened or he will not do his work, ASKS to do MCT. So, now he will do not only MATH willingly, he will do LA willingly.

All three of my children are incredibly verbal - in fact, today I went and found their Stanford Achievement Scores from last year b/c I could not remember what they were -- and no wonder they love this curric.

On Monday, the twins (9yo) were doing Practice Island with DH here (I was out) and DH was blown away. He wants to have MCT done as a seminar at his firm b/c he is constantly complaining that no one there knows how to write.

I am considering MCT for all the reasons stated here, I have an advanced 4th grader (in LA) but I KNOW her grammar has holes in it from ps. What level should I start with? I was thinking 1st level for her (quickly) and my 3rd grader (slowly). Also on a budget but will do what is best, can you do well with only the teachers manual? diff of $70!!!

Lara

I have a dd who is 13 and will be in 9th grade. She's fine in everything else, but is a lower level in grammar. So I, too, am wondering what level I should begin with her?

:bigear:

My dd is finishing up 4th grade and I am concerned I am losing her with LA. I thought CLE was a great fit but she is not really retaining, finds it too hard or tedious or boring, has absolutely no diagramming knowledge (not her fault - gaps from ps and changing currics), and really does no writing. She *mostly* knows the parts of speech, but even then I think it's pretty basic. I am getting scared I'm losing her.

We are planning to do CC next year and I'll have her in Essentials with IEW. But now I'm thinking maybe I should start at level 3 with MCT and either move along with it at the same time, or save the money from Essentials and do LA at home (was mostly doing it for the IEW). I want to fill in those gaps and ignite some excitement. I love the idea of snuggling on the couch 3x a week and doing a program like this, and I'm willing to spend the money. Just don't know where to begin. At the beginning?

:bigear:

My dd is finishing up 4th grade and I am concerned I am losing her with LA. I thought CLE was a great fit but she is not really retaining, finds it too hard or tedious or boring, has absolutely no diagramming knowledge (not her fault - gaps from ps and changing currics), and really does no writing. She *mostly* knows the parts of speech, but even then I think it's pretty basic. I am getting scared I'm losing her.

We are planning to do CC next year and I'll have her in Essentials with IEW. But now I'm thinking maybe I should start at level 3 with MCT and either move along with it at the same time, or save the money from Essentials and do LA at home (was mostly doing it for the IEW). I want to fill in those gaps and ignite some excitement. I love the idea of snuggling on the couch 3x a week and doing a program like this, and I'm willing to spend the money. Just don't know where to begin. At the beginning?[/QUOTE]

Probably, yes. The folks at RFWP are incredibly helpful if you call and explain where your dd is now.

My 3rd grade twins started in Island and are doing wonderfully -- they knew more than I thought they did, and they are loving it and breezing through it.

My 5th grade dd has a very strong LA/Grammar/IEW background - very strong. She did Grammar Voyage and we started Essay Voyage, but I bumped her down to Paragraph Town which was an excellent choice -- she loves it and says that it reminds her of IEW in many ways, but she likes the MCT assignments better and she says she is understanding WHY she is doing things a certain way in MCT.

All three LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Practice books......and we have discovered the other publications that RFWP sells, and we are loving their science, poetry and GT program.

I love the idea of snuggling on the couch 3x a week and doing a program like this, and I'm willing to spend the money. Just don't know where to begin. At the beginning?

I would begin at the beginning. It's better to start there and progress quickly than to begin at a higher level and backpedal (which is what I did for some aspects of MCTLA).

MCT is working well for us too. Dd is very, very verbal, and her learning style seems to be a balance of visual and aural. She's not kinesthetic at all. MCT meets her both visually and aurally, because the books are beautifully illustrated (at least at the Island level) and really reinforce the topics. I also usually read them aloud to her, and sometimes she'll sit with me to see the pages, but sometimes she doesn't.

I've been really interested to see how her retention has been. I've been surprised several times that she's remembered what we've read, because we haven't done anything more than read the Grammar Island book so far. But every now and then I'll ask a question and she'll know the answer right away. I think it might be because of the stories -- there are so many stories all through it. Also, MCT does a good job of showing the simplicity of grammar, and really breaking it down into its parts. That makes it easier to remember too.

It's not that repetitious, though. We started this year with FLL, but the repetition didn't suit Sweetie's needs, which is why we switched. MCT really knows gifted kids, many of whom can read and retain information very swiftly, and for whom any repetition can lead to immediate boredom. The books are written with that in mind, and it seems to fit a fairly wide audience (not just the gifted kids).

I find the posts from folks with boys interesting; I have a girl so hadn't thought about it, but it IS nice to have a program that isn't too girly. I saw Mr. Thompson speak at a conference, and it was amazing to watch him talk about these subjects oft-depicted as feminine, but his energy is very masculine. He gave examples of how he runs his classes, and while he's very clear, straightforward, and no-nonsense, he also highlighted the need to be compassionate with students. It sounds like he's pretty straightforward with his students that he's going to really push their limits, but he's on their side. It's an unusual balance that he's got, one I haven't seen very often.

I also really like the way he truly takes literature (including poetry) seriously. Sometimes it seems like literature is a feminine domain, and yet so much of it has been written by men. I feel like he does a great job bridging that gap, while at the same time he points out how classic literature comes from EVERY culture, from both men and women, and is amazingly diverse.

MCT is working well for us too... I also usually read them aloud to her, and sometimes she'll sit with me to see the pages, but sometimes she doesn't.

I've been really interested to see how her retention has been. I've been surprised several times that she's remembered what we've read, because we haven't done anything more than read the Grammar Island book so far. But every now and then I'll ask a question and she'll know the answer right away. I think it might be because of the stories -- there are so many stories all through it. Also, MCT does a good job of showing the simplicity of grammar, and really breaking it down into its parts. That makes it easier to remember too.

Anabel,

I have not seen MCT materials, but I understand the Island level is for 3rd grade? I am surprised (and happy) that it is working for your 6 yo (who, i suppose, is a 1st grader?) Do you plan to have her do the writing assignments yet? Or do you plan to use it only for familiarization with grammar at this point?

I plan to buy MCT and was looking for something to introduce the parts of speech etc in the meantime. But if MCT works at 1st grade, then I would rather buy it now.

Thanks,

~Nandini

I am surprised (and happy) that it is working for your 6 yo (who, i suppose, is a 1st grader?) Do you plan to have her do the writing assignments yet? Or do you plan to use it only for familiarization with grammar at this point?

Sweetie is a 1st grader, and is doing 1st grade work in most areas, but she is on the accelerated end of the spectrum for language skills. She reads up to a 7th grade level (according to the Scholastic Book Wizard), and has excellent memory for words in any format (nothing like having SOTW quoted accurately to you to prove a point about Egyptian history). So definitely take it with a grain of salt that she's a 1st grader.

I'm not sure about the writing parts... we just started Sentence Island, which she is enjoying, but I don't think I'll push her to write much yet. A friend of mine has a 2nd grader who took a couple of MCT's online classes, and had a great time with the grammar class but apparently wasn't ready yet for the writing class; she pulled him out before it was over so that he wouldn't associate writing with bad feelings. We're still doing WWE1, and while I think she could pass up to the 2nd grade level of that, I've been slow about it because she enjoys it so much.

We did try FLL at the beginning of the year, but it was way way too slow for her. I'd suggest that, if you can, get FLL from the library and see if it fits. It's so inexpensive, and I'll bet that it would fit most 1st graders better than the MCT stuff.

I hope that helps, or at least makes sense.

I'm also doing MCT Island w/ an advanced 1st grader. He loves language, loves grammar now thanks to MCT. He does Practice Island everyday easily. We are on chapter 3 or 4 of Sentence Island. So far I've not had him do much of the writing. I'm also doing this with my 4th grader so I'm working at his speed . Next year, while my then 5th grader will be doing Town level, I'll work through Sentence Island again with my then 2nd grader. he is solid on all the concepts but I'm not requiring him to do any writing w/ it. Some times he does the writing but if he doesn't want to, I don't push it. He is in WWE2 and also writes quite a bit in chemistry.

Anabel,

I have not seen MCT materials, but I understand the Island level is for 3rd grade? I am surprised (and happy) that it is working for your 6 yo (who, i suppose, is a 1st grader?) Do you plan to have her do the writing assignments yet? Or do you plan to use it only for familiarization with grammar at this point?

I plan to buy MCT and was looking for something to introduce the parts of speech etc in the meantime. But if MCT works at 1st grade, then I would rather buy it now.

Thanks,

~Nandini

You could try the Ruth Heller and Brian Cleary grammar series. My oldest two kids enjoy these books. Madlibs are fun, too.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Unfortunately we dont have FLL in the library here. I've found a vintage book called "Talking with the Pencil" which is a gentle introduction to grammar and writing. We started it last week and the first few lessons went well. I think we will continue this through kindergarten (or atleast until she turns 6).

DD likes the Brian P Cleary books which we get from the library and knows nouns, verbs and pronous thanks to them. I will search for the Ruth Heller books.

I think I will order MCT now and read it through to see whether we can start it slowly towards the latter part of this year. My problem is that Singapore schools expect a high level of grammar knowledge (types of pronouns, verb tense, etc) right from grade 1 and dd will be in grade 1 from Jan-2011.

Thank you again :-)

~ Nandini

Edited by nansk

I'm having a hard time finding the right fit for LA for dd, who'll be in 4th next year. FLL didn't stick with her like it did for my boys. This year we've bounced between FLL 3, R&S 3, with some LLATL and other copywork thrown in. She is the lazy/ gifted type, feminine but not too girly, and reads all the time. I think she might really like this, but I don't have a whole lot of time to give it. I can give it some time, but not a lot. How much time does it take you at the lower levels? Thanks, Lillian

My problem is that Singapore schools expect a high level of grammar knowledge (types of pronouns, verb tense, etc) right from grade 1 and dd will be in grade 1 from Jan-2011.

There's nothing like Grammar Rock and Mad Libs to cement parts of speech in those early years. :)

There's nothing like Grammar Rock and Mad Libs to cement parts of speech in those early years. :)

Thanks, matryoshka!

We have Grammar Rock but dd hasnt taken to it as much as she took to '3 is a magic number' :-)

I googled Mad Libs for the first time today. I think I will need some help to implement this at home. Is there any online (preferably free) version of this game?

TIA

~ Nandini

I googled Mad Libs for the first time today. I think I will need some help to implement this at home. Is there any online (preferably free) version of this game?

Mad libs are just little books that kids fill in themselves. They are supposed to be funny. If you have boys, they usually fill all of the adjectives and nouns with some form of bodily function noises.

Edited by Snickerdoodle