Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week 12

Happy Spring! Today is the start of book week 12 and should have you starting book # 12. Mr linky is now up and ready for you to link your reviews. I'm still working my way through last weeks review links - see you soon!

L is for Linkage love. This week I have interesting links to bloggers and authors to check out. Eclectic and interesting.

It is also the start of spring and Callapidder's Days Spring Reading thing. Here's what I'll be reading during Spring. I'm thinking of starting with the non fiction book - His Excellency George Washington in hopes it won't distract me too much from writing and finishing my latest WIP.

What are you all reading?

This morning I finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles. It was my first time reading anything by Hardy, he is a very talented writer. I love his descriptions and his ability to make you sympathize with characters even when they are being foolish. There were so many great themes in this book: questions of morality and purity being high on the list (and supported by his descriptions of nature and the effects of the industrial revolution), as well as the consequences of judgments, assumptions, pride, and naivety. I was left wondering what Tess, Angel, and Alec (a.k.a. Satan) were actually to blame for and what was simply a case of bad timing and situations.

I read this version and now I want all of these beautifully bound classics!

May I post here? I'm not sure which "reading group" I joined

So... I finally finished Sharon Penman's trilogy - When Christ and His Saints Slept, Time and Chance, and The Devil's Brood (wow, almost 2000 pages total) I learned a lot but need a break before I read more of her books.

The Chatham School Affair http://www.amazon.com/Chatham-School.../dp/0553571931 - very thought-provoking

The Dogs of Riga http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Riga-Henn...9207737&sr=1-1

The last two are very different from what I usually read, but I needed a few light reads. KWIM??

I plan to read Middlemarch next.

Edited by SusanAR

I read Nurture Shock this week. Interesting stuff. I felt like a lot of the information was familiar from articles in the press, but still interesting. I have no idea what I'm going to read this week. And it's spring break, so I should have time to read something!

STILL working my way through Quo Vadis. Excellent book, just not a two-day-er. :)

My book club has been meeting for over 6 years, now. Several times we've had the option of reading various books set in the time of Christ (or shortly there after). I've read The Robe, The Silver Chalice, and The Bronze Bow. I'd been wanting to read Quo Vadis, so I took that opportunity this time around. Still on my list: Ben Hur and The Mark of the Lion trilogy.

This was a good week for reading. I finished Sea Glass, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Zeitoun, and Seattle's International District. Hotel and Zeitoun were particularly interesting, about the Japanese evacuation from Seattle during WWII and a Muslim man who was illegally detained on suspucion of looting and terrorism in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, respectively.

This was a good week for reading. I finished Sea Glass, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, Zeitoun, and Seattle's International District. Hotel and Zeitoun were particularly interesting, about the Japanese evacuation from Seattle during WWII and a Muslim man who was illegally detained on suspucion of looting and terrorism in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, respectively.

I really enjoyed Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet when I read it last year for our book club.

Got very little reading done this week. I'm still working on "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". I don't really like the 2 characters at this point (not too far into the book) & I don't like the book that well so far, either. I've been debating whether to drop it or not & I actually turned & read the last page (something I never have done before). Shrug.

So, I don't know if I'm going to finish it or start something else.

:tongue_smilie:

I'm about halfway through A. S. Byatt's new book, The Children's Book. It's long. So all I reviewed this week was Alice Taylor's To School Through the Fields, a memoir of an Irish country childhood. It was quite enjoyable. I also read some Irish poetry, to round off a week of St. Patrick's Day reading. :)

The Children's Book is good, but a bit bloated, and there are more than a few references to awful victimizing practices of various kinds. I hope English boarding schools weren't really that horrifying, but I suppose they were, in which case, what on earth were those fathers thinking?? :ohmy:

Oh I forgot. I also started reading The Death of Socrates. It's not nearly as difficult as I had been led to believe.

I have given myself a stiff talking to, and am absolutely forbidden to read any other book until I've finished St Augustine. This threat made me read 9 chapters the other morning, when I would otherwise have been doing something more enjoyable, but the chapters are so short I can't feel very virtuous about it.

:(

Rosie

Still working through Percy Jackson books. Read Book 3 & 4, waiting for dd to finish book book 5...sigh. I also read Walkabout. It was very short, but I enjoyed it.

~~Faithe (who will be reading Percy Jackson book 5 and is also reading Outlander, but not sure if I like it or if I will finish it.)

~~Faithe

I guess I had to see what all the fuss is about. Now I'm two books behind. Maybe I can do some catch up this week while I have my "not-quite a sinus infection." [boo]

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat

Week 2: An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart

Week 4: Meet the Austins

Week 6: The Moon by Night

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read

Week 8: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [sigh]

Week 10: The Young Unicorns

Week 12: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

I finished Stockett's The Help, which I really enjoyed, read The Lightning Thief (one of my son's favorites), and am now reading Gourmet Rhapsody by Muriel Barbery, author of The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

Gourmet Rhapsody was her first novel, and it is actually set in the same building as Hedgehog.

Edited by Imprimis

Earlier this week, I read Clutter Busting. LOL. (Should I be admitting that?)

I started reading Cotton this week & am enjoying it. I've had it on my 'to read' pile for awhile now.

From amazon:

"In 1950, a black boy is born in segregated Eureka, Mississippi. Nothing startling there, except that he is born with white skin and blonde hair. His mother is properly black and his father, long gone, is an Icelander. This boy's name is Lee Cotton. In the course of the next 20-odd years, he will have a series of adventures that defy reason, beggar the imagination and stagger belief. And, that's a little like the way author Christopher Wilson writes. His style is irresistible because it is sly, sardonic and flat-out hilarious.

The first important person in Lee's life is his grandmother, Celeste, who arrives annually from "N'awlins" bearing gifts and words of wisdom. "She's sixty-something, going on eighty. Spiritual possession, liquor, tobacco smoking, and sniffing powders has taken its toll, rasped her voice, sucked out her flesh, and taxed her skin." Celeste convinces Lee that Voudou and Baptism--"that down-on-your-knees-know-your-place-slave-church" that his mother belongs to--are just "a hog's whisker apart." Both Lee and Celeste hear voices, the living and the dead, which sometimes comes in handy; for instance, when predicting game scores and winning horses.

Lee falls in love with the daughter of a stereotypical southern racist and nearly gets the life kicked out of him for it. He is thrown on a freight train, mostly dead, and fetches up in St. Louis where he is eventually taken into a psych-ops part of the Army and meets a rich panoply of people as weird as he is. He has some fun at the induction physical: "I got to backtrack about growing up as an Iceland colored, with double-recessive white genes, because my mambo grandmother was only part black, while my daddy was pure Scandinavian blond." Life hands Lee another big surprise after which he is not only a white black person, but something even more startling. About that, Lee says: "Well, I can deal with change. I can wander beyond my comfort zones. I been black, and I been white. I been alive and dead, rich and poor, clever and stupid, entire and broke, one-brained and two-brained (courtesy of the Army), lost and found. But, for sure, there's a limit to how much you can handle..."

There are juicy aphorisms on every page of Cotton, but the book is never preachy, despite covering 25 years of race and gender strife in these United States. The ending is a little too pat, but the rest of the book is such fun to read, Wilson can be forgiven. Wilson's first novel was Mischief in which Charlie discovers that he was an abandoned baby, the last of the Xique Xiques of Brazil and that he has alien qualities that he must hide in order to get along in human society. Clearly, this author has a big imagination. --Valerie Ryan"

Edited by Stacia

I finished the newest Fablehaven book, Keys to the Demon Prison. It wasn't as light hearted as the first books in the series, but I still enjoyed reading it. Very action packed! This is the last book in the series and I felt satisfied at the end...unlike when I finished the Twilight series.

I'm still working through William Bennett's America: The Last Best Hope and Daniel Willingham's Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom.

I guess I had to see what all the fuss is about. Now I'm two books behind. Maybe I can do some catch up this week while I have my "not-quite a sinus infection." [boo]

List (Links are to my review):

Week 1: Touch Not the Cat

Week 2: An Introduction to Classical Education: A Guide for Parents

Week 3: Parenting from the Heart

Week 4: Meet the Austins

Week 6: The Moon by Night

Week 6: The Little Book of Christian Character and Morals

Week 7: How Lincoln Learned to Read

Week 8: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society [sigh]

Week 10: The Young Unicorns

Week 12: Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Wow! You are organized! I need to try to pull it together like this. I'm struggling to keep up. Writing the review, which I am trying to make myself do, is the hardest part!

I am teaching Starting Points at our co-op this year and it has seriously cut into my reading time. Only 4 more weeks though and I will be able to catch up to this challenge.

I finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton because I really liked The Forgotten Garden. I am currently in the middle of Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I am really enjoying it! It is quirky...sort of a Ramona Quimby as a detective mixed with the crazy passion of Dr. Frankenstein all wrapped up in a mystery. :D

I loved Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I think this is one of my best reads for 2010. The sequel to it just came out this week. I am looking forward to reading it.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I finished Foucault's Pendulum and am on a book break. I had heard rave reviews of the book, but when I was done, I wished he could have reached his point with less words. I began to get seriously irritated about 3/4 of the way through but I had invested so much time that I felt I needed to finish it.

It felt like a dissertation on the superstitious gullibility of the human race. I understand writing a tale with a moral, but what a convoluted tale!

Running List

Read:

-Dragonsinger (old favourite)

-Belle (fr)

-That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week (good book on getting boys organized)

-The Unlikely Disciple: A Year at America's Holiest College (or something like that)

-Outliers (enjoyed)

-Dance with Me (when your mother-in-law says she liked a book and it is a book where a mother gets put in a nursing home, you read it)

-Blink (going to make my sons read this one because we all rely on this ability quite a lot - this was the big lesson I learned in my 30's, so nothing new, but still interesting)

-Cluny Brown (old favourite)

-MacBeth

-The New Global Student (think that is the title - Annoying style and I'm not too sure about some of her "proof" of why one should do this, but lots of practical information on how to actually do it, which makes a nice change in an education book. It was comforting to read, since we are definately going the out-of-the-box route. I think her girls had firm academic skills to begin with or the project wouldn't have been as successful. Much of what she says about the benefits matches our experience.)

-The Secret Adversary (well, it got me to Buffulo to drop off my youngest for a month)

-Girls of Riyadh (got me back, despite being sick - the picture it presented was very much like the picture of life in the Middle East that my Lebanese friend gave me - it was fun thinking about it in terms of Jane Austen, who was also complaining about the society in which she lived and its men)

In progress:

Waiting for Godot

Trevor Chamberlain: A Personal View

The Color of Distance

Le gone du Chaaba (fr)

Le Petit Prince

Useful bits:

Classical Music for Dummies

Teen-Proofing and a few other children+schoolwork books

various books on Chinese brush painting

Dogs at Work (or something like that - returned so I can't check the title)

I've given up on "Young Bess" by Margaret Irwin. Gave it a good 60 some odd pages but it's not getting any better. Long, run on sentences that go on forever with the character thinking this that and the other in the midst of doing whatever. Oy! It's a review book and the publicist is expecting me to post a review. Unfortunately it won't be positive. I'll link to those who "loved" the book. But honestly, I can't see it.

Now reading Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show by Frank Delaney. Much better. He may digress but it's well written and understandable.

I am envious of your recent reading list, Laughing Lioness. I miss having access to a uni library!

Rosie

This is the first library card we've had in 6 1/2 years. It's been fun:001_smile:

Kareni- I checked out the web-site you linked. What fun!

My list keeps growing- thanks Friends!