Menu

Where do you find unique, artsy, stylish, classy clothes that aren't ultra expensive?

I like some of the styles at Boden. I really don't want to buy clothes right now, as I am about 25-30 pounds overweight and would like to lose that weight before I invest in a new wardrobe. But, I have to buy at least some shirts because the spring is coming, and I have maybe one spring weather shirt that will fit. I have some summer (sleeveless) shirts, but no spring ones. Any ideas?

I am in the same boat as you. It's hard to want to look nice and yet not purchase a wardrobe when you hope to lose weight.

Honestly, I shop the thrift stores. But I'm extremely picky, so it takes some time. I read some threads here on what clothes seem to last longest and then I shop for those labels at the thrift store. I only buy stuff that is in great shape, though, hence the time it takes. Some days I come home with nothing and others I find some nice clothes. My last find was three pairs of almost new Coldwater Creek jeans. They have lasted me through the winter.

I do buy a couple staples at a regular store. Like white shirts (can't get those at the thrift store).

It does take a lot of my time and I try to do it without the kids. If you don't have the time, it might not be an option. But I feel better if I'm not spending a ton and if it doesn't fit in 6 months or a year.

I have been putting off buying clothes because of the weight issue, but I finally realized the situation was desperate. Most of my pants that fit had holes. I couldn't see spending much money for clothes that either don't look great or I'm hoping not to fit in the future. Dh suggested Walmart. (Can't stand the place.) BUT, I did find a decent pair of jeans for $12!. Okay....not artsy, cool or any of that, but for now...they look pretty good and they were cheap. I'd prefer to wait on artsy,etc. till I lose weight.

Woolybear

I adore thrift stores. Although, just to warn you, thrift store clothes are so cheap that it does ruin you for shopping at regular stores. I don't know how many times I've been in Target or someplace, just browsing through clothes, and thought, "Ten dollars for a shirt? I would never pay that much!" :tongue_smilie:

Consignment shops in "ritzy" neighborhoods.

:iagree:

If you're looking for well-made, quality brands, this is a good way to find them. You can often find things barely used. (And most quality clothes last better through two people than cheaply made garments used by only one!)

For the best bargins and a wide variety of choices, I really like thrift stores expecially if you live in a upscale area. I can not tell you how many times I have found either practically brand new (with tags) or barely worn item very extremely low prices. You can try them on the make sure they fit perfectly.

If you want new, then it gets a like more challanging. There are places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, The Dress Barn, Kohls, Jc Pennys. For a little more you can go with Chicos, Coldwater Creek, and for a little cheaper places like Old Navy, Rue 21, Target. Some good catalogs are Chadwicks & Newport News.

I have a pair of really nice black pants I turn to again and again when in doubt. I got them at a Saver's, but the tag inside is New York and Company. I don't know if that's a great brand or not, but these pants have been a life saver for me many times. I like the cut and they always look fresh.

Then, of course, there is always sewing ;) If you have time and a great fabric store and some vintage patterns, you can make yourself a pretty fantastic wardrobe. :)

Now, that is quite a few "ifs" (not to mention the time and desire and skill). I agree with the above posters to haunt the clearance racks at fine boutiques, consignment shops & thrift stores. Online stores often have good clearance sales, too. There was a fine department store (not a chain) in our last town that marked their prices down in the Petites department every Wed. morning. I'd find remarkable, remarkable things! $200+ sweaters marked down to $4. Winter coats for $50! Ahh... I miss that store!:001_wub:

Now, may I also throw out one more suggestion? 20 lbs. does take some time to lose. I know! ;) I always feel better (and am MORE inspired to lose weight) when I feel confident in how I present myself. (I imagine you do,too!) I've also managed a few years to get by on very few articles of clothes. IF you can't find anything you like at a super price, you could consider buying just one or two outfits that you love, in your CURRENT SIZE, that make you feel fabulous. :001_tt1: Reward yourself for who you are now. You're a brave woman to tackle self-improvement! (I'm not advising you spend more than you can afford, but I do often feel that we fall into the trap of holding out that carrot at the end of the race when a nice pair of jogging shoes would have been a great aid and comfort. It's a long race.)

Just my .02. ;)

Good luck on your journey!:)

Target clearance, Ann Taylor Loft clearance, TJ Maxx, local boutique sales.

I went to Ann Taylor Loft a week ago and bought two pairs of chinos, two tshirts and two pairs of black lounging pants for $50!

I ALWAYS check the clearance racks~