Menu

cast iron

I have a "Lodge" brand small frying pan (I think that is the brand) (It's made in the U.S., which delighted me !). I bought it at -- (sorry about this) -- WalMart.

We use it for fried eggs. Must be "placebo effect", or something, but everyone in the family insists that the eggs taste better ! We also use it for quesadillas.

The hard part is locating a stiff, metal-bristle brush for cleaning the piece. Have to search through camping equipment sections of stores. Don't bother with the wimpy vegetable brushes sold in kitchen sections.

I also bought a griddle, but have not had good results. We have one of those glass-top cooking surfaces, Maybe not a good "match" of equipment versus stove because I can't adjust the heat with precision.

I do! I have actually only purchased one piece and it is a large skillet with a lid by Lodge. I love it!

I have several other pieces that were passed on to me by a family member who bought a set and never used them. Of that set, I love the covered dutch oven, my cornbread pan, a smaller skillet and a large rectangular griddle piece. We also have a crepe/tortilla pan that we use frequently for lunches.

Mine are becoming pretty well seasoned and I love them even more. I got so sick of going through *non-stick* cookware and having the coating start picking off! Blech!

I also like that I can use the cast iron on the stove, on the gas grill, or on our woodstove if the power goes out.

I've got a large cast iron skillet and a dutch oven. They're both Lodge brand and I found them at the hardware store. :) I've also seen them at Williams-Sonoma (for much more than I paid) and at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I've got to say that the best pot roasts I've made have been cooked in the cast iron dutch oven.

Clean up is easy; I use one of the non-scratch scrubbie pads and some hot water, then dry immediately.

eta: I also have a biscuit pan that makes some amazing dinner rolls.

Ha! I would agree with Orthodox on the eggs tasting better. It is kind of weird, but we heard that out of everyone here too.

I have never used a wire brush on mine. Maybe mine are seasoned just enough, but I really only run hot water over them run a pampered chef square over the surface to remove any clingy food. Then I rinse again under very hot water and dry it thoroughly.

Don't feel bad about purchasing at Walmart. Little bit of trivia- Lodge is the oldest continuously "family" owned company in the US! That is always worth your dollars, no matter where you bought it!

Oh, and I love cast iron. Once it is properly seasoned, it is basically nonstick and nothing beats it for heating up and holding the heat. PERFECT for searing steaks, etc.

I've got four pieces. A small 6" skillet, a 10" skillet, a scone pan (I think it is actually a corn bread pan, but I bought it for scones) and a deep fryer.

Nothing sticks to any of mine. I've had them all for 10 years or better with the exception of the scone pan. That is new this year, but already seasoned because it gets a lot of use.

They are great for people too. They help keep your iron up.

I love my cast iron. I have a 10 inch skillet which I use for sausage, pancakes, bacon and even homemade english muffins! :D I also have a dutch oven, mostly for camping - there are some good sites for camping recipes with a dutch oven. I also have a griddle, but I need to reseason it.

I believe that I bought my Lodge skillet and griddle at Rural King (however I think that Rural King is only in Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky) and the dutch oven isn't a Lodge, but it is nice and I got that at Gander Mountain.

MJB

We have 3 pieces, a larger skillet by Calphalon that I got at Target, and then a small skillet and a deep skillet both by Lodge. I love the deep skillet - it has a glass lid and can be used for so many things. They have it at Amazon, I have the 10.25 inch one. http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Quart-Deep-Skillet-Glass/dp/B002R8JNQ0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1267112185&sr=1-3

ETA If I could only have one pan to do all of my cooking, I would get that Lodge deep skillet with glass lid in the 12 inch size. I could cook anything I wanted in that thing.

I have a lot of cast iron.

Skillets from very small (for toasting spices) to medium to large (Lodge)

A variety of corn-stick and biscuit pans (USA)

Dutch Oven (Lodge)

Large Grilling Pan (Swedish)

Potjie Pot, a large 3 legged iron cauldron (South Africa)

Comal (Mexico)

Bill

I love my cast iron. I have three skillets of differing sizes (two I inherited from my dad, they're old and work wonderfully), a smaller Lodge one for eggs and such. I also have a cast iron dutch oven, an enamel covered one from LeCreuset. I love that pot. I have an older set of Scanpans which I rarely use anymore.

I have quite a bit of cast iron. Most of it was inherited and that works out just fine for me. I think most are Lodge too.

I have a couple skillets I use just for cornbread. Then the rest are for cooking.

Some of mine even have wooden handles over the metal handles. Those came from my dad. Not sure where he got them.

I've got four pieces. A small 6" skillet, a 10" skillet, a scone pan (I think it is actually a corn bread pan, but I bought it for scones) and a deep fryer.

Please tell me where you got a 6" skillet. I have been looking for one for ages, but can't seem to find one. I love my 10" and 12" skillets. I hope to get a dutch oven soon, too.

My favorite spot to purchase Iron Skillets is the Goodwill. I only purchase ones that say "made in the USA" and then I bring them home... fire them off in the woodstove and then season them up. To wash... no soap... put them on the stove with a bit of coconut oil. Wipe out with paper towel.... set aside... And remember, don't store your lid on top... without something in it so that the inside can breath...

:-)

I have two small skillets, used mostly for eggs; one was my grandma's and the other I bought at an antique store for $4. I have a little dutch oven that I don't use. Almost all the stews I use have tomatoes so I don't think it works well for that. I have a large skillet that I use for stovetop cooking and also in the oven; it's proven quite useful. I think I bought that one at the Lodge outlet in Tennessee. I also have a Lodge griddle pan (no sides) and another one that's similar but rounded, for making flatbreads, pancakes (especially crepe type) and whatnot.

I have two small skillets, used mostly for eggs; one was my grandma's and the other I bought at an antique store for $4. I have a little dutch oven that I don't use. Almost all the stews I use have tomatoes so I don't think it works well for that. I have a large skillet that I use for stovetop cooking and also in the oven; it's proven quite useful. I think I bought that one at the Lodge outlet in Tennessee. I also have a Lodge griddle pan (no sides) and another one that's similar but rounded, for making flatbreads, pancakes (especially crepe type) and whatnot.

I make spaghetti sauce and chili in mine often without any problems.

I had an ebelskever pan, but we sold it at our garage sale...just never used it. But now I have a Le Creuset enameled round french oven (dutch oven) that I ADORE. I'm getting a LC frying pan (which I guess doesn't have an enameled interior -- it is only enameled on the outside) for my anniversary. I can hardly wait! I'll be ditching the nonstick skillet soon, I'm sure :)

Hmm. I do love Dutch babies, but I don't eat them too often. I do have an ebelskever pan I forgot all about! It's so small as to not offend me, sitting there gathering dust. The little dutch oven is a bit too small for me, but if I could make more tomatoey things in it, it would be more useful to me (its seasoning is not too great as I bought it unseasoned and haven't used it much).

I still have 3 cast iron skillets from after the fire: small, medium and large. Not much else from the kitchen made it through but the cast iron was good as new (the fire was under the kitchen and burned through the floor, up the chimney (which went through the kitchen). I've had the medium one since we got married, the small one picked up at garage sale fordirt cheap and the largest one we found thrown on the ground next to a dumpster.

My favorite spot to purchase Iron Skillets is the Goodwill.

:iagree:

I have purchased both new (Lodge) and used (i.e., Goodwill) and I *much* prefer the older used ones I find in thrift stores! (And I have two 6-inchers from GW). In fact I'm going to start watching for them for my girls to take into their homes someday. The surface is flatter/smoother, and they are always well seasoned. I can usually find what I need without having to purchase ones that are a bit rusty and needing to be de-rusted.

I have purchased both new (Lodge) and used (i.e., Goodwill) and I *much* prefer the older used ones I find in thrift stores! (And I have two 6-inchers from GW). In fact I'm going to start watching for them for my girls to take into their homes someday. The surface is flatter/smoother, and they are always well seasoned. I can usually find what I need without having to purchase ones that are a bit rusty and needing to be de-rusted.

I'm sure you know.. to derust :-) You just fire it up in a woodstove or in your oven on "self clean". I prefer to bake off everything and start fresh...

:-)

If the house was on fire, I'd grab my 12" Lodge skillet and if I have time the dutch oven as well but definitely the skillet.

The more you use it, the better it gets. It sears meat, roasts veggies and you can put it in the oven for F425 which means you can bake apple cake right in the skillet. Yeah!

I have seen them at Walmart as well as the local hardware store. You can probably order directly from Lodge too but shipping would be quite high as these things weigh a ton.

Out of curiosity, I looked on amazon and they have some Lodge items, eligible for free shipping. I am not entirely sure I trust them to pack well (I'm envisioning the handle coming out of the box!), but that is one alternative if no one near you has them.

Although I happened to be driving near the Lodge outlet, I didn't observe many "rock bottom" prices there. Some "sales" but mostly just the opportunity to see tons of their stuff all in one place.

I love cast iron! Just bought a 100 year old Griswold Ham Broiler - it weighs about 30 pounds and barely fits in the oven - I will use it for big family get togethers and holidays.

Not all cast iron is created equal - different makers casting techniques create different quality pans and pots.

Now to try all the recipes in the Cast Iron Cookbook I just ordered :lol:

I have 4 different sized cast iron frypans and we use them all the time. I managed to disappear dh's horrible teflon ones, except for one.

I just keep them in the saucepan cupboard under the stove. They all fit inside each other nicely. I bought them all 2nd hand for next to nothing.

I also dont take special care of them like oiling them. Sometimes they get a bit rusty and I give them a scrub and a bit of oil, but usually, I just use them again and the rust washes off. I think eating a bit of rust is ok- I am anaemic and its one of the reasons I use cast iron- to get a bit of extra iron :001_smile: The pans are in good condition and come up nicely with a bit of oil but I rarely do it.

Hello, dear friend! I miss you! Just had to say that. I didn't recognize the name, but peeked in this thread (because I love cast iron, the last we bought was Lodge at a local store) and saw your pretty face!

I need to email you!