Menu

Did you start with Ancient or American History and Why?

jewel7123

Did you start your children with Ancient History a la WTM or did you do 1 or more years of American History FIRST before starting Ancients? Would you do it differently now? (For instance, do you regret starting with Ancients, etc.) I am torn on this and would like to hear opinions. I am especially interested to hear from those of you use Bible based curriculum and wish God to be a major emphasis in your learning. I have a hard time with the idea of starting with Ancients in first grade, simply because I wonder if that's too young to be studying Egyptian gods and Greek goddesses, etc. Can you do Ancients with your primary focus being the Bible stories and the focus on mythology minimal?

We did a mish-mash of stuff, including some Ancients, in 1st, then started with chronological US History in 2nd. We're just now getting back to Ancients for a full rotation in 6th.

I did this because when they were young I wanted to do lots of field trips for them to really see history in action, and well, we live here in the US so there were many more opportunities to do that for US history.

ETA: To the second part of the question, I would not change a thing. It's taken us much longer than intended to get through US history, but it's been so much fun, and all the field trips in the younger years were just wonderful.

Edited by matroyshka

Guest aquiverfull

When my 11 year old was in the younger years we just covered lots of American history. I didn't know of the idea of a 4 year history cycle back then, so I didn't really consider anything else. We did do a year of SL Core 1+2 which covered world history, but she was in 3rd grade then. Now that my dd is about to re-do the cycle we will be doing Ancients and I'll have a prek and K tagging along. So technically they'll get some of it, albeit probably not a whole lot so I'm not really overly concerned.

I guess if I just had the little ones, I would cover a lot of bible for ancients without going into the god/goddess' of Greek mythology, etc. My dh and I discussed it and he's fine with them knowing about those things, as I will be telling them they are false gods. We believe in the one true God, etc.

Edited by aquiverfull

I would do Geography in grade 2, American History in grades 3 & 4, and then do a four-year cycle in grades 5 - 8. OR, I would do Geography in grade 1 and Veritas Press's 5 year cycle in grades 2 - 6.

I just really wish I had done gepgraphy first. I think there are so many fun things that can be done with it, and you can approach it from a mission standpoint. Costumes, food, mapping. We are going to do a year of Geography next year for grade 8, but we won't be able to have as MUCH fun.

We started with first half of the year covering American History (beginning) and now we are on SOTW 1. So far if I would have to do it again I would not change anything. It will give us 1 1/2 years to go through the first book, but in the same time ds has some knowledge of American history.

I went back and forth on this issue so many times!!! I finally decided that I wanted my kids to have a solid knowledge of Old Testament history and it just made sense to study the other cultures and events that were happening at the same time. I will probably cover other gods and goddesses VERY lightly, if at all (you know, just that ancient people worshipped false gods). At this age they think mummies are cool and want to build pyramids and dress like knights and princesses, etc. Our focus will be the Bible.

I would do Geography in grade 2, American History in grades 3 & 4, and then do a four-year cycle in grades 5 - 8. OR, I would do Geography in grade 1 and Veritas Press's 5 year cycle in grades 2 - 6.

I just really wish I had done gepgraphy first. I think there are so many fun things that can be done with it, and you can approach it from a mission standpoint. Costumes, food, mapping. We are going to do a year of Geography next year for grade 8, but we won't be able to have as MUCH fun.

I am actually planning on doing Geography for K next year (with a PreK tag along) and I plan on having LOTS of fun with it! I'm just torn as to where to start with history in 1st.

I went back and forth on this issue so many times!!! I finally decided that I wanted my kids to have a solid knowledge of Old Testament history and it just made sense to study the other cultures and events that were happening at the same time. I will probably cover other gods and goddesses VERY lightly, if at all (you know, just that ancient people worshipped false gods). At this age they think mummies are cool and want to build pyramids and dress like knights and princesses, etc. Our focus will be the Bible.

And do you think Biblioplan allows you to keep the mythology to a minimum or even eliminate it that first go round?

And do you think Biblioplan allows you to keep the mythology to a minimum or even eliminate it that first go round?

Yes, they do. I was just looking through the booklist and most of the mythology books are recommended for 5th grade and up. They also have warnings as to possibly innappropriate illustrations or violent content. When books about other gods are mentioned they always encourage you to remind your children who the true God is and how the false gods compare.

Another argument I've heard is that American history gets skimmed over and isn't studied as much in depth with the 4 year history cycle......have you found this to be true?

I think it really depends on your POV. i am one who does not think that our children NEED American history every year, and that overall our schools tend to be quite ethnocentric when it comes to that. I WANT my children to have broad view of history, not just a limited american history view. Still, the argument could me made that they'd learn american history BETTER in 3rd grade than in 1st!

I just pulled my 2nd grader out of PS at Christmas. I started w/ SOTW1 b/c it made sense to start from the beginning. However, when we get through SOTW1 I plan to do a brief overview of American History (in line with What Your First Grader Needs to Know and What Your Second Grader Needs to Know) so that people like George Washington and Abraham Lincoln aren't foreign to him. I'm not sure if he will be returning to PS in the Fall and if he does I want him to recognize important events and people in Am. History.

Well, I'm planning on spending a year, maybe two, on American history first, then start SOTW along with American history because:

1. I want the 4yr old to begin SOTW 1 when she is old enough and at the same time as her big sis.

2. it is important to me that my children know and understand who our Founding Fathers were and the principles that our constitution is based on. I cannot think of a more important subject to teach.

Ethnocentric??? Hardly.

I'm a little passionate about this topic. Can I just quote Washington: "The Constitution... approaches nearer to perfection than any government hitherto instituted among men."

And Madison: "Happily for America, happily we trust for the whole human race, [the founders of the nation] pursued a new and more noble course. They accomplished a revolution which has no parallel in the annals of human society. They reared the fabrics of governments which have no model on the face of the globe. They formed the design of a great confederacy, which it is incumbent on their successors to improve and perpetuate."

Anyway, that's what and why I'm doing what I'm doing with history. I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, but I do tire of seeing this talk about not wanting our children growing up believing Americans are the center of the universe so we must down-play American history. It has nothing to do with being American. It has everything to do with the principles upon which this government was established. I absolutely believe the history of the founding of this nation should be studied & understood, more than any other, and that our Constitution should be upheld and defended, as it is the closest history has ever come to promoting freedom, justice and equality among men.

Again, I cannot think of a more important topic to teach my children. That's just me.

Ok, off my soapbox. Going to bed.

We tried to start with the Ancients. My dd hated it. So, I switched to Galloping the Globe and did a year of Geography. She loved it. Then, I tried to go back into Ancients with VP (they start Ancients in 2nd). Nope, still hated it. So, I moved on, did a unit study on Kings and Queens (KONOS) and filled the rest of our year with that. Then, in 3rd grade we did Middle Ages/Renessance, and now we're in 4th grade and doing Early American History.

This has worked great for my 1st grader. She totally loves doing geography/American history the straight Charlotte Mason way. If I had it to do over (Wait, I kind of do, don't I?:D) 1st grade would be Geography. 2nd grade would be American History, 3rd would be Ancients, 4th Middle Ages/Renaissance, 5th Explorers-1850, 6th Modern, I don't know what you'd do for 7th and 8th. I'll let you know when I get there :)

We started with Ancients and it was great. My kids loved SOTW 1 and 2, pyramids, togas, castles, the plague. This year we started American History in depth and we add in SOTW 3 once or twice a week. There is a lot of great literature for their reading levels available. We spent six weeks on Columbus and explorers and they could really get into why people explored and what it must have been like. We spent a month on Roanoke and Jamestown and visited Jamestown. We are enjoying a month focusing on the Pilgrims. My older two can get so much more involved with the history than my younger kids. I'm sure there are good reasons to start with either. Just wanted to say that we went with the four year cycle and I'm pleased as punch with how my older kids are interacting with the wealth of American History resources available to them at this stage.:001_smile:.

Guest Cindie2dds

We tried Ancients and my dd hated it. We're going to probably do two streams at one time ala AO. I really think it depends on how your children react. You can either say, "This is what we are doing" and stick by it; or you can give your child a couple of books from each period and see what they like the best. We are still doing a chronological study of history, just starting at the birth of our nation, not the start of the recorded history of the world. TruthQuest, Queen's and Ambleside start with American History, as does Beautiful Feet. Simply Charlotte Mason and Greenleaf start with Ancients. It was a hard decision for me since those are the websites I liked for history.

Good Luck!

We are doing Ancients this year - they liked Ancient Egypt (we mentioned that they worshiped false gods but didn't study the gods or anything) and they liked the Bible history. We are moving into Greece and they don't have a ton of enthusiasm for it so far but we are only on the first week so we'll see.

I love the idea of starting from the beginning. The second half of next year will be American history up to President Adams so I don't feel like they are missing anything by not studying it this year. However, we did some American history in K so they know our flag, G. Washington, A. Lincoln. We compared our culture, food, geography, etc. to other countries. This was a lot of fun and a good start to the 4 year cycle - IMO.

I am actually planning on doing Geography for K next year (with a PreK tag along) and I plan on having LOTS of fun with it! I'm just torn as to where to start with history in 1st.

My husband and I discuss the same questions: Does all history have to be taught chronologically at every age level? Does chronology always "trump" geography and/or culture? We are still undecided, LOL, but we do think that we know our children. So, we'll start with them, instead of a date on a timeline.

What we feel our children "saying" is that they are so young. By this I mean that, with the twins being youngest, we will not follow the plan of letting the oldest child lead the pack. I might have started Ancients with two 6 year olds and one 4 year old, but with one 6 year old and two 4 year olds, it seems like a younger group, somehow. I think they can wait on studying history from the beginning, and we can still learn and have fun in the meantime.

We did Continents and Countries last year, and had a great time. We sang Geography Songs, Wee Sing Around the World, and read lots of books from the library. This year (K for 5 yo; PreS for 3 yos), we are not doing any Geography or History, because we're focusing on the 3 Rs, Music, Science (Animals), and Bible. There's only so much time in the week, KWIM?

We plan to do C & C again next year for 1st and Pre-K (2011) -- and enjoy it again! We want to do something "light" because we'll be focusing most of our energy and time on learning to read and write and do mathand memorize Bible stories and passages! :001_smile:

The following year (2012), the girls will be in 2nd and K (twins). That year we plan to do American History for three quarters and Our Family Story for one quarter. I know that learning our family's story sounds to some people too much like "Social Studies" -- but we can learn how dates work (birth, life, death), learn our family's geography, make a family tree, interview & record the grandparents if they are still living then, and we'll have a wonderful record of our own family's story.

During these two years (1st/P-K & 2nd/K), we'll also be using Bible Felts to tell and practice telling Bible stories. We'll use Sing the Word for Scripture songs.

After all this, we'll begin the journey through chronological history -- Ancients (2013--3rd/1st), Middle Ages (2014--4th/2nd), Exploration & Discovery (2015--5th/3rd), and Modern (2016--6th/4th). By that last year, I think the girls will be old enough to handle the material and we'll be ready to begin again in 7th/5th.

If you're undecided about what to begin when, here's a link to some articles that helped put the importance of chronology into perspective. I'm still not sure I'm persuaded by it, but it helped me to see that beginning Ancients with a 6 year old is not the only way to do history successfully. Of course, Mrs. Lowe is trying to explain (and sell) the Memoria Press way of doing history, but it's worth at least considering it. HTH.

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring09/teach-history-chronologically.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/July08/historynotchronological.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring%2008/orderingknowledge.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Winter%2009/Two-TrackHistory.html

WOW! what a fantastic idea to do your family's story!!! that is GREAT!

And WOW! a 6 and 2 4yos! wowzers. If it were me, i'd nix history altogether till the youngers were 6 or 7... (not that i'm telling you what to do! just saying i can see how you'd not want to do ancients right off the bat)

We are doing the Ancients. We are skimming over other gods (not totally, but not going into great detail) and focusing a lot on Bible History.

We are using the following:

Mystery of History 1 (main thing)

SOWT 1

Heart of Wisdom Ancients (for some activities)

CHOW

Island Story (Only 6 chapters I think)

50 Famous Stories (ones that go with this time period)

Reference books (like Kingfisher just to look at pictures; waiting for Usborne book)

Bible

Other resources will be added as we choose :)

Then on Ancients cycle 2, we are getting into the Odyssey and more mythology.

We started with Ancient with SL and just skimmed through a few of the most popular Greek Myths, like Pandora's box and left the rest for later. :) My older daughter had the traditional PS, family, community route and started Ancients this year as well. I plan to do the SL World then American with my youngers and have adopted the upper cores to do chronological World/American combination with my older. Good luck choosing!

We started with Ancients. I don't regret it. I want my kids to get the whole story. The US is just **part** of the story. Sometimes I shudder and wonder if it's okay that my kids don't know **all** the states and capitals yet... or that they have spotty American History that we've just told them in passing conversations... but most of the time I'm okay with it. We'll get to American History... it will just take us a bit longer.

We are a Christian family. We have loved Mystery of History. Volume one is heavy on Bible history (we pretty much ditched Bible study because much of the book is Bible history), but what I loved about it was she includes other world history alongside it. You start to see pieces fit together that just reading the Bible won't necessarily give you. My kids LOVE history and seeing how God works everything into His master plan of salvation. We are into Volume 2 now and it's heavy on church history. My older two are loving it... I had to go to SOTW though for my younger two. It was just too much detail for them.

We studied a lot of myths and the Greek and Roman gods. We did it in the context of our beliefs though. Our kids had no trouble distinguishing the difference. We always talked about how our believe in the One True God is so different. It helped my kids to see how blessed we are in how God relates to us. Still now, my kids ask if a people group that we're talking about (or individuals we study or even those we meet) believe in the One True God. I really think studying other religions has served to broaden their worldview in a good way.

We just fold geography into our history study. Whatever we talk about we locate on the map or globe. My kids have a great understanding of the Middle East... but don't know their states! LOL!!

We started with Ancients. I don't regret it. I want my kids to get the whole story. The US is just **part** of the story. Sometimes I shudder and wonder if it's okay that my kids don't know **all** the states and capitals yet... or that they have spotty American History that we've just told them in passing conversations... but most of the time I'm okay with it. We'll get to American History... it will just take us a bit longer.

We are a Christian family. We have loved Mystery of History. Volume one is heavy on Bible history (we pretty much ditched Bible study because much of the book is Bible history), but what I loved about it was she includes other world history alongside it. You start to see pieces fit together that just reading the Bible won't necessarily give you. My kids LOVE history and seeing how God works everything into His master plan of salvation. We are into Volume 2 now and it's heavy on church history. My older two are loving it... I had to go to SOTW though for my younger two. It was just too much detail for them.

We studied a lot of myths and the Greek and Roman gods. We did it in the context of our beliefs though. Our kids had no trouble distinguishing the difference. We always talked about how our believe in the One True God is so different. It helped my kids to see how blessed we are in how God relates to us. Still now, my kids ask if a people group that we're talking about (or individuals we study or even those we meet) believe in the One True God. I really think studying other religions has served to broaden their worldview in a good way.

We just fold geography into our history study. Whatever we talk about we locate on the map or globe. My kids have a great understanding of the Middle East... but don't know their states! LOL!!

We are using MOH this year too and I LOVE it!

How about finding a publisher or curriculum provider that you just love and going with that plan? If you love VP do their cycle. If you love SL do theirs, If you love SOTW do that. kwim?

There are good arguments for either way so find something you love and just do it.

You make a good point Christina. If more of us had done that, we wouldn't always be changing curriculum providers! :lol:

OK, some of us still would, but I'm noticing more and more posts about needing to find a new curriculum because this program doesn't have the year we need/want to study, or I've already used SOTW and the curriculum I wanted to use at this age uses that as the spine etc. If we were able to find a curriculum we loved, we'd eventually cover all the parts of history without thinking about it. Especially if you're using a Charlotte Mason/WTM curriculum.

Blessings!

Dorinda

If we were able to find a curriculum we loved, we'd eventually cover all the parts of history without thinking about it. Especially if you're using a Charlotte Mason/WTM curriculum.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Therein lies the problem......finding a curriculum I love and still loving it after the "honeymoon phase", lol. I've fallen in love with several curriculums already only to change my mind because they don't meet all my needs perfectly across the board. :D

Therein lies the problem......finding a curriculum I love and still loving it after the "honeymoon phase", lol. I've fallen in love with several curriculums already only to change my mind because they don't meet all my needs perfectly across the board. :D

:lol: That is SO me too!! I've tried the Weaver Interlock Preschool, WP, HOD and MFW. And my oldest (at home) is only 6 :w00t:!!! I am now convinced that there is no curriculum that will meet all my needs. That is why I chose something for next year that was more of a framework than a day to day schedule so I could make it fit US! Maybe you could look for something that agrees with your educational philosophy and your faith, knowing that it won't be perfect, and make it YOUR OWN. Or you could put your own together from scratch, although this is probably harder if you don't have a few years of homeschooling under your belt.

Relax, get to know your kids, pray and you'll find it:001_smile:!

Blessings,

Cheryl

Well, along the way I also added in SL and AO!! AO is free and I bought SL used so I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t feel bad about not using all of either one of them. But I am glad I started with Ancients, I just found that I need to stretch it out and add other things to it to make it more interesting for my children. (and myself) :tongue_smilie:

I like the idea of chronological history a lot because of reasons other than wanting it to be in order of time. I like it because it allows us to see what was going on in other parts of the world at the same time, which can help deepen understanding of an event or circumstance, and because it helps move away from an ethnocentric, American view of the world. So I think seeing what was happening at the same time all over the world helps with that, more than studying one country or culture at a time.

That said, I haven't managed to stick with chronological history for my own kids yet. We did SL Core 1 and I just didn't want to do Core 2 after that, so we're doing Core 3/ WP AS 1 now instead. And SL is chronological by civilization in Core 1 anyway, so even that wasn't truly "chronological history." Sometimes fun and interest in the content subjects has to trump other considerations!

But I plan to get back to chronological history when we're done with American- we'll have time for 2 chronological history cycles.

No doubt. :lol: Take us for example. I LOVE Beautiful Feet. LOVE IT!!! And we're having to abandon ship (at least for the rest of this year and next). There isn't a "modern history" level. Why didn't I think about that last year? What was I thinking I would do? Sigh, oh well. At least I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy:D

How about finding a publisher or curriculum provider that you just love and going with that plan? If you love VP do their cycle. If you love SL do theirs, If you love SOTW do that. kwim?

There are good arguments for either way so find something you love and just do it.

:iagree::iagree:

FWIW. My 2 Grads do not remember what we studied for history when they were 1st/2nds or even that much from 3rd or 4th.

I know this is something that some folks have a very strong opinion about and studying history chronologically makes a lot of sense to us mamas ( especially if we never studied it in that mannar) and it makes a lot of sense for our Middle School ages kiddos and certainly makes sense for our Highschool kiddos.

Honestly I don't know of any mama of a hs grad who states "Gee if only we did ancients in 1st grade then it would have all been easier ( or made sense or whatever)."

BY all means do a cycle of chronological history before they graduate or you send them to PS ( cuz you know they won't ever get the opportunity to do so there.) but don't fret too much if they start that complete cycle at 1st or 4th or 5th.

Just my 2 cents...

I just started homeschooling my 8yo niece at the beginning of January and decided to start with American history. I figured we should start with the explorers and got biographies out at the library for her to read. So even though we're studying American history, she actually knows a lot more about Vikings, Italy, Spain, France and England at this point. Hopefully, she'll learn something about America soon. :001_smile:

Well, to make you crazier:tongue_smilie:, Beautiful Feet's website had a good article on why you should start with American history and Greenleaf Press' website has a great audio on why you should start at the beginning!

Look at both sides and PRAY:001_smile:!!

Links below:

http://www.bfbooks.com/s.nl/it.I/id.2/.f

http://www.greenleafpress.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/greenleaf-scope-sequence2.pdf

We started with American History because, I was not familiar with classical homeschooling at the time. I am in the midst of ancients with a first, a third and a seventh grader. We are looking at some mythology. Our main focus is Biblical history. We are looking at mythology to see what the world was like for the Israelites and early Christians. I really like doing it this way. We are seeing how the world got to be like it is.

:iagree::iagree:

FWIW. My 2 Grads do not remember what we studied for history when they were 1st/2nds or even that much from 3rd or 4th.

I know this is something that some folks have a very strong opinion about and studying history chronologically makes a lot of sense to us mamas ( especially if we never studied it in that mannar) and it makes a lot of sense for our Middle School ages kiddos and certainly makes sense for our Highschool kiddos.

Honestly I don't know of any mama of a hs grad who states "Gee if only we did ancients in 1st grade then it would have all been easier ( or made sense or whatever)."

BY all means do a cycle of chronological history before they graduate or you send them to PS ( cuz you know they won't ever get the opportunity to do so there.) but don't fret too much if they start that complete cycle at 1st or 4th or 5th.

Just my 2 cents...

:thumbup::iagree: That's why I'm not really doing much history with my first grader and probably won't do much next year either. Mostly, I'm just reading him good books on major American people/events using D'Aulaires and the If You Lived...... series. I just want him to know who George Washington or Columbus was and have an idea of what America was like long ago. History is an add-on if we have time. I want to focus more on Bible and the 3 Rs for 1st and 2nd grade. I plan to do world geography in third grade while reading through CHOW for a general world history overview before starting a more in depth chronological study of history in 4th grade with ancients. This will give us five years to get through the cycle before starting again in high school.

Did you start your children with Ancient History a la WTM or did you do 1 or more years of American History FIRST before starting Ancients? Would you do it differently now? (For instance, do you regret starting with Ancients, etc.) I am torn on this and would like to hear opinions. I am especially interested to hear from those of you use Bible based curriculum and wish God to be a major emphasis in your learning. I have a hard time with the idea of starting with Ancients in first grade, simply because I wonder if that's too young to be studying Egyptian gods and Greek goddesses, etc. Can you do Ancients with your primary focus being the Bible stories and the focus on mythology minimal?

We kind of meandered around--

When the kids were 7 and 4 years old, we spent one academic school year on Genesis. We did timelines, maps, notebooking pages, hands-on activities, copywork, memorywork, and more. We also studied ancient cultures like the Sumerians, Mesopotamians, and Egyptians. We didn't get into the mythologies or literature of the cultures, but learned about pyramids, artifacts, their way of life, how they dressed, etc. After that year, we sped things up and did some select parts of the Bible as Bible history, again, bringing in some cultural topics like ancient Greece and ancient Rome. There are a lot of fun books on these cultures for younger kids now, which is great.

In 5th grade, they learn Greek mythology in detail using D'Aulaires Greek Myths and the MP guide that goes with it. They also read Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad and the Odyssey. (DD10 will start this in the fall.)

Though we had touched briefly on American history events and topics over the years, we didn't have a focused "American History" course until the year ds was in 5th grade and dd was in 2nd. (Ds had 2 separate history courses that year....it worked out fine, so I'll do it again with dd next year). We used BF Early American History and added in a bunch of readers and read-alouds. It was fun!

I started reading aloud SOTW-1 when they were about 9 and 6 years old, only as an oral narration exercise which was part of our language arts. So I never attempted to coordinate it with our main history. Over the years, we've gradually added in a few more components of the SOTW AG. Right now, dd10's history is SOTW-3. Ds13 is doing his own separate history course (Hakim's History of US), but listens in on the SOTW readings and does the narrations & tests. Next year, his history course will probably be "World History - Modern Times," using SOTW-4 plus some primary sources, biographies, and other books, maybe some SL-5 materials plus geography. So that's another stream we're going along.

I didn't have this all planned out from the beginning. Each year, I just thought about what would be good to study next. Thankfully, there are plenty of great resources and curricula for pretty much all grade levels that you can make it any way you like!

HTH!