Menu

SOTW -- Is is me, or what?

Sahamamama

Okay, this post will probably get me SHOT, but I am confessing.

And asking, seriously, Is anyone else having trouble "getting into" SOTW, or is it just me?

I have checked that book (Volume 1) out of our public library about 8 times now, and I try and try and try. Really, I do. I just can NOT get excited about it. I just can NOT get into it at all.

Sigh. Deeper sigh.

Well, it's been nice knowing y'all. I hope I don't get kicked off the board.

Okay, now that you've been brave enough, I'll admit, we've never made it through a whole volume as a read aloud! BUT my kids when the got a little bit older read them all on their own just for fun! So, it did serve us well there. However, I've just done something crazy and bought the audio version of Vol 1 because we all love Jim Weiss here and if he reads anything, we listen. So I'm hoping my little ones and I will get through history with Mr. Weiss' help.

I am glad that I am not the only one. I keep trying to like it, but I haven't gotten there yet. I have noticed that after reading some of MOH and having a little more knowledge of the subject matters discussed in the book that I am growing more fond of SOTW.

Jan

My 8 year old and I love it. Today, he corrected me when I mispronounced "Hagia Sophia." Good thing he has already listened to the audio books so many times. Very often, as soon as I start reading, he says something like "Oh -- this one." Today, when I stated the title of "The Byzantine Empire" he said "It was also called Byzantium."

So, I would say it is successful for us. Our 6 year old pays some attention, but he really likes the maps and coloring. He did remember that Constantinople was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire today, so that pleased me.

I also enjoy reading aloud in the evenings from A Child's History of the World.

BUT

I agree -- everyone has his or her own tastes. It's okay not to be fond of it. :D

Guest kawnms

For the ones that are doing the SOTW vol.1. Did any of you NOT complete it for the first grade. I am sure that I must be hard on myself since during the first grade of my ds, I had a baby. I havent been able to get fully back on track and it seems the history is what went lacking. Feeling awful as well as a slacker I have been more consumed with reading since my son HATES it! Please send any encouragement as we are running on empty!

SOTW is just ONE of the many, many great history programs out there for elementary aged dc. We used SOTW through K12 (1st grade, 2nd grade) as SWB actually wrote portions of their History curriculum. I didn't even know about SOTW until 2nd grade and I read something in SOTW 2 that was a carbon copy of a lesson we had just done w/ K12! Anyway, I digress! My dc like the story telling way that SOTW is presented. Held their attention and they remembered. It wasn't for us long term b/c I wanted a more solidly biblically based History program. Isn't it great that there are so many to choose from? It's no biggie that you don't like SOTW...not everyone does/will. Choose one that fits your family, your dc! We like MOH here, but I also like to supplement with SOTW. Just my .02!

I do have to agree with you. I could not stand vol 1 - it was a terrible ordeal for us and i just couldnt use it. This year, I had some trouble with MOH vol 2 so with little to no choice, I did get SOTW vol 2. We have enjoyed it more than vol 1 - I do have to admit that. But, I am relying heavily on Streams vol 1 and MOH vol 2. I think I will be finishing this year with MOH and Streams more than SOTW. I do hope MOH 3 is out in time for next year. I do not want to have to use SOTW vol3 alone next year. If MOH 3 is not out, then I will use SOTW 3 along with SOC vol 2 et al. But, it is not my first choice. Isnt it wonderful to have to many options!!!

For the ones that are doing the SOTW vol.1. Did any of you NOT complete it for the first grade. I am sure that I must be hard on myself since during the first grade of my ds, I had a baby. I havent been able to get fully back on track and it seems the history is what went lacking. Feeling awful as well as a slacker I have been more consumed with reading since my son HATES it! Please send any encouragement as we are running on empty!

I just keep moving at the pace we can, not paying attention to finishing one book in one year. This is too much for me because I like to do lots of supplemental reading.

I think they are great if you're willing to use them on their own, with the stories incorporated and the activity guide. It always bothered me that in one chapter you'd be in one civilization at a certain time and the next chapter you'd be across the world in another civilization whose events happened before the last chapter. This finally became a true issue for us as we tried to incorporate other books in with SOTW. We're keeping ours because the kids are young and 'you never know'. Lol.

I've bought and sold SOTW volume 1 *twice*. I kept wanting to love it but just couldn't. Then I discovered My Father's World and saw that they don't use volume 1, but they do incorporate volumes 2, 3 and 4 into their upper years, so that relieved my concerns a little bit. It told me I'm not completely crazy. LOL. I really like SOTW as a supplemental item.

As my 12yod discovered this past fall when she read through volumes 2, 3 and 4 on her own, she couldn't keep all the times and events straight because of how it's written. It's a very LARGE overview with many details, and not necessarily in chronological order. She kept saying, "How am I ever going to keep all this straight?" But MFW schedules it so that it flows much better with history. They make it "fit". :)

Of course, MFW is more than just history, but that's my experience with SOTW. ;)

Jessica,

I agree with you that it irks me somewhat as well.

I try to remind myself that the aim is to realize that while such and such is going on in Egypt, such and such is going on in South America.

I have to admit that even through my adult years, I had a notion that Old Testament stories happened before all of the other historical events. SO, I find that this is helping my boys see how things go on all over the world at the same time.

But, I know this about you, that you won't let your children grow up in such naivete. :001_smile:

We never could get into it as a reader, but my kids have loved the CD's. I gave up on reading it to them (groans and moans would emit from all sides!). But I put it on in the car when we travel to soccer or gymnastics, and everyone is excited (I guess it is that whole "captive audience" concept). So I use the CD's and we listen to them over and over and over and over and over :) Hopefully some of it is sticking !

My kids love SOTW. However, we use the audio cds. When I was reading SOTW as a read aloud, we(*I*) always forgot it. Now, we listen to the cds at lunchtime. After lunch, the kids do the map work or an occasional craft. I definitely like it better since I'm not reading it. I may read a recommended book from the activity guide, though.

Is there a place to hear a sample of the audio version? We have recently started checking out audio books from the library. They enjoy audio books quite a bit and that might be a better way for us to get to more history.

Jan

I got the CDs from my library a while back. You might try that.

I like SOTW, & I don't use the CDs. They went too fast for me to keep up--I'd have to literally sit down w/ the book & read along, or I wouldn't have a clue what had been said.

I'm visual, though. I'm not sure my dc would have cared one way or another. I also like to stop & talk to them about what's going on. Unfortunately, 9x out of 10, when I go back to the story, the next line or 2 is VERBATIM what I just said. Kinda takes the wind out of my sail.

I haven't looked at other hist curric, though. I get overwhelmed too easily, so I love the WTM, & I start w/ their suggestions. If they work, I look no further. If not, I look. FLL, for ex, I couldn't get into, so I know what you mean.

Another thought is to change how you do hist...I mean, if you're still trying SOTW. No pressure or anything. For me, doing one section of a ch 2-3 times a week was less engrossing than either one section every day or a whole ch in one sitting. We're doing the one a day routine now.

GL!

I just wanted to say that my son and I love this history program. We have had a blast with it. My older son loves it so much that he says that he wants it for his children.

BUT,

I do not think that every curriculum is for everyone. It is not Nazi time (that's what we are studying about in SOTW). If you cannot get into it, pick something else. Isn't it nice that we can homeschool and choose what kind of program that we like?

I hope that no one shots you for expressing your opinion because I pray that this country remains a place where we can choose our curricula.

In 1938, Hitler signed a law that all German children had to be educated in school. That law is still in affect today.

Be Encourage! Don't ever be discouraged in your homeschooling choices!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

It's okay. We like SOTW (though I agree my primary intent with it this go round is a general overview and familiarity---I will probably keep the cds for review for the second go round as supplemental), but didn't like FLL. We strongly disliked some of the other curricula recommendations in WTM--Phonics Pathways, 100 EZ lessons, etc. Doing science in full year cycles didn't work for us either. You take what works and leave what doesn't in anything.

... we didn't hurt or offend anyone. REALLY, I absolutely LOVE WTM and we are using OPG for reading, along with FLL with my nephew, so Peacehill Press is part of the family. It's just this SOTW, Volume 1.... You know, some people are like that with Moby Dick! Just can NOT get through it.

Thank you to those who wrote to say they are assisted by Mr. Weiss -- yes, we have listened to him telling stories from the Old Testament (from the library). I've been thinking about getting SOTW being read by him, now I really will do it. Thanks!

Sue G in PA wrote...

It wasn't for us long term b/c I wanted a more solidly biblically based History program.

I think that's probably the root of the problem for me, too. SOTW just doesn't seem to incorporate enough Bible for us. So now I am wondering... do you enjoy MOH? Why or why not? I'm looking at that, too, and thinking that it would be perfect for us in the future (or for me to use now on my own as a learning parent). So, please let me know what you think of MOH. Thanks!

You didn't hurt or offend anyone! What's right for some isn't right for others.

I just wanted to say that I love SOTW. I like that my oldest can read it on his own, more like read it out loud to me... but he loves it too. While it's true it might not incorporate the Bible enough, but I didn't find that a problem. I've been using a Bible study program for that and we read the Bible daily. I would say that in my opinion SOTW really enhanced the Bible reading. My son gets excited when the Bible mentions Egypt, Babylon, Rome etc. And it does spark some good conversations

I think that's probably the root of the problem for me, too. SOTW just doesn't seem to incorporate enough Bible for us. So now I am wondering... do you enjoy MOH? Why or why not? I'm looking at that, too, and thinking that it would be perfect for us in the future (or for me to use now on my own as a learning parent). So, please let me know what you think of MOH. Thanks!

This year we have done SOTW with MOH to get the bible in it. My dc did not get into MOH at all. I think MOH is good for the logic stage or older. I was looking for a history program that had a biblical worldview. We decided to go with My Father's World. It uses SOTW 2,3,4.

I like the Usborne History best and then read the story where we are in Usborne History. I think it helps keep the time a little more coherent too. Also, the whole beginning stories were not interesting at all so I didn't read them. I skipped to some more interesting stuff- Hammurabi and China and India (there is a nice story about quails in that chapter that we have been referring to in order to remind the children to work together for a happy family.

I think that's probably the root of the problem for me, too. SOTW just doesn't seem to incorporate enough Bible for us. !

And, from the other side of the coin, I found that I thought it had a bit more emphasis on the Bible for year 1 than I would have liked, or at least treated material from the Bible rather differently than it did similar material from other cultures.

In year 2, one of my friends could hardly get through it and her kids found it awful, while we can't get enough of the Middle Ages and are thoroughly enjoying it.

For the beginning stories, my daughter still asks if we can't read again the one about the girl dunking her brother's head in the stream, which I believe comes from the first couple of chapters of book 1.

Truly, one size doesn't fit all :) and that's okay. No need to apologize for it.

A friend of mine had SOTW 1 and I took a look at it. I was in school at the time for my now-completed bachelor's in anthropology, and the first chapter struck me as horridly inaccurate and not at all in line with the worldview I'd like to teach my daughter within. Also the treatment of the Bible as accurate rather than mythologized history bothers me.