Menu

HELP! Clogged bathtub drain...non-toxic remedy?

http://www.zipitclean.com/

You have GOT to watch the video. LOL

That was absolutely disgusting. Eeek.

I've used that gizmo on my bathroom sink drain before, but it didn't pull out a monster. I think I'll get another couple just to maintain our drains though, so we don't end up with a monster like that. I lose LOTS of hair in the shower. :tongue_smilie:

Big pot of boiling hot water, poured from a large height - put on an apron & try to stand back so it doesn't splash your legs.

It's often not just the hair but the goopy conditioner that's the issue. If you use boiling hot water under pressure (hence pouring it from about 5 feet above) regulalry, you can keep your drains from stopping up.

I agree with the Zip it! My dh cleaned out the tub drain in our master bathroom. He said it was beyond gross. He pulled up a full Cousin It of hair. It smelled so disgusting that when I got back a few hours later, the bathroom still smelled of it. .:ack2: The smell was gone by the end of the day and my drain works awesome.

Happy zipping,

Katty

Try the hair removal first. I never sease to be amazed at how much of my hair ends up down the drain despite all I do to prevent it. If you can pull out lots that should help first. If not, you can pour down a bunch of bleach. Bleach will cause the hair to break up and move on thru. It is what the maintenance men always used in the college dorms I lived in. Just let it sit for a couple of hours before running water.

Also, the vinegar & baking soda works but I first add an equal amount of salt to the drain. It works as an abrasive as the baking soda and vinegar push it thru the drain. Just make certain you wash out the drain well with hot water afterwards so the salt doesn't sit and corrode the pipes.

OK, I have not watched the Zipit video, but just thinking about it is making me a little nauseous! We have three girls in the house, though, all with thick long/curly hair, so I bet we need one--I mean, I bet DH needs one :lol:

If you do the vinegar/salt/baking soda, I've heard that you should do it quickly and the cover the drain so that it's airtight. The pressure has nowhere to go but down, so it's supposed to help the clog move through. Never tried it myself though, so YMMV.

ETA: Ugh, that was as bad as I thought *barf* We really do need one though. Hmmmm, I wonder if DH would appreciate receiving one for Valentine's Day? :lol:

Edited by melissel

OMG! Where can you find this gadget? Not sure though I want to try it. (Wanted to insert the "eek" smiley here but it didn't work)

I got mine at Wal-Mart, I think where plungers and such are located, near/around hardware.

ETA: They are only supposed to be used once, then tossed with the gunk, so you might want to buy more than one.

Oh, and have your DH wear goggles when he uses it, so that gunk doesn't get slung into his eyes when he does it.

;)

I got mine at Wal-Mart, I think where plungers and such are located, near/around hardware.

ETA: They are only supposed to be used once, then tossed with the gunk, so you might want to buy more than one.

Oh, and have your DH wear goggles when he uses it, so that gunk doesn't get slung into his eyes when he does it.

;)

The Ace man said they were reusable (although seeing the gunk on it, I would disagree).

I know there is a way to unclog a drain without Draino...I just can't remember how or find the recipe

Any suggestions using these household chemicals:

vinegar

baking soda

citric acid (LemiShine)

Thanks!!!!

My husband sells a product called Bio-Clean but I am sure you can find it for sale on line. You can check it out here:

http://www.bio-clean.com

This stuff is amazing.

~~Faithe

;)

Be careful with these gadgets. We have had customers destroy their sink drains....Just a warning.

~~Faithe

Be careful with these gadgets. We have had customers destroy their sink drains....Just a warning.

~~Faithe

With a thin piece of flexible plastic? Can you share more? I was seriously going to stop at Home Depot to get one tomorrow and would love to hear more before I go!

I just unscrew the drain and get the hair with a screw driver or something. Usually that is what it is. It is nasty, but much more effective than any chemical. I was also told to keep a sink plunger in the house. It is very effective at getting the nasty goop off the sides of the pipe. Just don't let it go back down the drain.

I just unscrew the drain and get the hair with a screw driver or something. Usually that is what it is. It is nasty, but much more effective than any chemical. I was also told to keep a sink plunger in the house. It is very effective at getting the nasty goop off the sides of the pipe. Just don't let it go back down the drain.

LOL...I dont' feel so alone now. YAY!:tongue_smilie:

Ok, I tried to posted on this thread once already but the computer ate it. Anyhow, I have to get me one of those zip it thingies. I have a house full of girls, three showers, three tubs, and four sinks. I have been disassembling the drains and using this long flexible metal thingie with a pincher on the end. It works but it is a real pain. I once pulled a hair clog the size of a small rat out of the drain in a rental house. It was gross :ack2: but also kind of satisfying. I'm weird, I know. :001_smile: